Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

anna080 wrote: »
    I'd like to add that I don't think every problem we come across should be a moderator issue either. We should be able to sort things out amongst ourselves as posters. I hate to being Reddit into it, but we literally haven't had one issue over there (for the most part) and that is because we are largely left to our own devices and discussion has remained fairly civil because of that.

Is it because only like-minded posters use the Reddit page though? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

miamee wrote: »
    Is it because only like-minded posters use the Reddit page though? Genuine question.

Not at all. We just respect the differences and if something doesn't interest someone we just avoid the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

By one post wonders, I mean the sort we used to get who would join specifically to tell us we're all jealous bitches and we need to get lives and that ____ is a great blogger and we must have sad lives et al. These posters would be the ones banned/infracted without warning.

I don't think lowering the post count will help actually, but maybe getting rid of the rule that you have to be a member for 3 months will improve things. Someone joining just to cause trouble is less likely to go to the effort of making 50 posts, but someone keen to join in on the discussion would. So maybe keep the 50 posts but get rid of the 3 month membership rule?

As regards to just ignoring the trolls who come in just to derail threads, sorry, I just don't think that's good enough. Mods/Admins have come down very hard on any active members with interest here not playing by the rules, I don't see why these people who come in just to sh*t stir should get away with it. I've reported plenty of them and nothing is done and they aren't reprimanded, so what's even the point?
    And I know I sound like a broken record but if I went over sh*t stirring in Soccer or Politics or other such forums I would most definitely be heavily penalised for the exact same behaviour that is brushed under the carpet here.

I want more members here, I don't want it to be an echo chamber. No one here that I've seen has an issue with being challenged on an opinion and engaging in respectful debate. What's p*ssing people off is the condescending, patronising people who make cheap shots at others without actually adding anything to the conversation. In my opinion Mods need to come down harder on them because it takes threads off topic.

Whether you agree or disagree, it cannot be denied that the way things are at the moment aren't working. I want to post here, and want others to too, but the way things are is making it impossible to get any enjoyment out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

GingerLily wrote: »
    I really hate when people bring up Reddit - if you prefer Reddit then just post there - no one is stopping you.

And I really hate when people get it into their heads that they're mods when they're not but hey ho.

If you don't want people to disagree with you then don't post on a discussion forum.

Not everyone wants an echo chamber Anna - some people are sick of the bullies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

No not at all. There's been disagreements on the reddit page but they are discussed and then posters move on.

• Advertisement

People tend to agree to disagree without getting overly personal over there. The very few times someone has overstepped the mark and said anything overly harsh/personal, other members pulled them up on it and they retracted what they said and apologised.

If you don't want people to disagree with you then don't post on a discussion forum.

That's unacceptable. What happened to attack the post not the poster.

Are you well there? I never said I didn't want anyone to disagree with me. What are you even on about? Bullies? From what I can see you contribute zilch to this forum, only pull people up on what they've posted and act like a wannabe mod.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    People tend to agree to disagree without getting overly personal over there. The very few times someone has overstepped the mark and said anything overly harsh/personal, other members pulled them up on it and they retracted what they said and apologised.

Point being made above.

People here are more likely to make nasty personal comments knowing a mod will step in. Over there you have to take ownership of your behaviour if you want to be part of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I really hate when people bring up Reddit - if you prefer Reddit then just post there - no one is stopping you.

And everyone is which is why this forum is dying a death. It’s a relevant point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

I'd like to add that I don't think every problem we come across should be a moderator issue either. We should be able to sort things out amongst ourselves as posters. I hate to being Reddit into it, but we literally haven't had one issue over there (for the most part) and that is because we are largely left to our own devices and discussion has remained fairly civil because of that.

I’ve come across about five different posters that I have definitely not agreed with there and I’ve either a) respectfully disagreed or b) Just didn’t reply.
    Basically loads of people have come in with all different viewpoints and barely had any issues, if any

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

LizT wrote: »
    That has never happened in this forum so if we could keep the discussion relevant please? We don't need discussion about the Blogs/wiki forum.

If I’m not mistaken it actually did happen in this for too I’m sure I have the screenshots I’ll have a look for them

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I’ve come across about five different posters that I have definitely not agreed with there and I’ve either a) respectfully disagreed or b) Just didn’t reply.
    Basically loads of people have come in with all different viewpoints and barely had any issues, if any

Totally agree, there's so many different conversations going on you don't have to spend your time arguing your point. We can all get along and its so obvious when people are just popping on for a troll or a derail.

I also don't agree with mods handing out warning for nothing. and not even having the decency to reply to messages to discuss the warning. And only certain people receiving warnings when others are saying things worse and left away with it.

wendydoll wrote: »

I also don't agree with mods handing out warning for nothing. and not even having the decency to reply to messages to discuss the warning. And only certain people receiving warnings when others are saying things worse and left away with it.

I think this is the biggest issue. There is a huge amount of inconsistency here regarding what is and isn't acceptable.

Also the likes of Rosemary MacCabe being allowed to comment on a thread when she didn't have enough posts got my back up. And then she was told she was allowed to comment because she had another account with over 50 posts. Comment on the account you use usually use.

She should have been told to feck off and use her normal account and not been allowed comment on her freshly set up account until she had 50 posts and account over 3 months old.

She also went after one regular poster on here and wasn't pulled up on it. She was attacking the poster and not the post. Seems one rule for one and one rule for the other

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Also the likes of Rosemary MacCabe being allowed to comment on a thread when she didn't have enough posts got my back up. And then she was told she was allowed to comment because she had another account with over 50 posts. Comment on the account you use usually use.

She should have been told to feck off and use her normal account and not been allowed comment on her freshly set up account until she had 50 posts and account over 3 months old.

She also went after one regular poster on here and wasn't pulled up on it. She was attacking the poster and not the post. Seems one rule for one and one rule for the other

Have you any suggestions to improve the forum or charter other than telling Rosemary MacCabe to feck off?

Have you any suggestions to improve the forum or charter other than telling Rosemary MacCabe to feck off?

Yeah it should be the same rule for everyone!!

She didn't have enough posts and the account was new! Anyone else wouldn't be allowed post......

Yeah it should be the same rule for everyone!!

She didn't have enough posts and the account was new! Anyone else wouldn't be allowed post......

Someone has already suggested getting rid of the minimum post count rule so it might not be applicable in future.

Someone has already suggested getting rid of the minimum post count rule so it might not be applicable in future.

Well I don't think the post count rule should be removed because it will increase people coming along saying we are all just jealous haters or the best one "if you don't like don't follow".

The rules that are currently there should be enforced, just because a blogger wants to come along and have their say they should also have to follow the rules like the rest of us.

The rules that apply in the rest of boards should apply here.

Back seat moderation and attacking the poster rather than the post seem to be perfectly acceptable in this forum (depending on who you are and who you're attacking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well I don't think the post count rule should be removed because it will increase people coming along saying we are all just jealous haters or the best one "if you don't like don't follow".

The rules that are currently there should be enforced, just because a blogger wants to come along and have their say they should also have to follow the rules like the rest of us.

And I would bet that 50 post rule was actually applied because anyone who was blocked by a blogger or had some grievances to air suddenly found boards as an alternative medium to went in.

I check this forum occasionally, more because I am interested by new ways of communication and promotion. I don't work in marketing but I did study it and I find it fascinating how advertising is changing. I have no interest in actually following lifestyle bloggers. My personal preference would be some sort of gossip thread for nasty comments about bloggers and their own or adopted children, dogs, family members and similar and separate threads for stuff that is actually interesting.

I could be accused of being helicopter poster but even I get bored with constant bickering about the same stuff. This is definitely a forum where I type a post and nine times out of ten just don't post because it's just not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

meeeeh wrote: »
    And I would bet that 50 post rule was actually applied because anyone who was blocked by a blogger or had some grievances to air suddenly found boards as an alternative medium to went in.

I check this forum occasionally, more because I am interested by new ways of communication and promotion. I don't work in marketing but I did study it and I find it fascinating how advertising is changing. I have no interest in actually following lifestyle bloggers. My personal preference would be some sort of gossip thread for nasty comments about bloggers and their own or adopted children, dogs, family members and similar and separate threads for stuff that is actually interesting.

I could be accused of being helicopter poster but even I get bored with constant bickering about the same stuff. This is definitely a forum where I type a post and nine times out of ten just don't post because it's just not worth it.

To be fair, we got chased in here because the blogs / wiki forum didn't want this kind of chat which is fine, its not the purpose of the forum. We went through the proper channels and got this one set up precisely to discuss what is being discussed here so perhaps the "interesting" stuff you want to see is better suited elsewhere as well?

I think the suggestion of removing the three month membership rule could be worthwhile although then you run the risk of new accounts just posting nonsense all over the place to get their post count up (which is probably why the rule was brought in in the first place!)

. My personal preference would be some sort of gossip thread for nasty comments about bloggers and their own or adopted children, dogs, family members and similar and separate threads for stuff that is actually interesting.

Who will be deciding what is classed as interesting and what is "nasty comments"?
    We have a thread called bloggers including friends and family which is where these conversations go, surely that's good enough.

You clearly only posted to get that dig in.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Ok well define what you think would be considered "interesting"? I definitely would like to expand the topics on this forum but we need suggestions. You've mentioned communication and promotion? Would that include the #ad and #sp discussions or do you mean in a more general sense?

Lindy97 wrote: »
    Ok well define what you think would be considered "interesting"? I definitely would like to expand the topics on this forum but we need suggestions. You've mentioned communication and promotion? Would that include the #ad and #sp discussions or do you mean in a more general sense?

Interesting is debate about advertising violations, untruthful claims, new products and similar. As for bloggers spats, children, pets, partners I don't care about that fluff but many do and it seems that threads about #ad or #sp get snowed under the posts about someone's baby. So for me gossip thread would hopefully take care of that.

Interesting is debate about advertising violations, untruthful claims, new products and similar. As for bloggers spats, children, pets, partners I don't care about that fluff but many do and it seems that threads about #ad or #sp get snowed under the posts about someone's baby. So for me gossip thread would hopefully take care of that.

Nobody is stopping you from starting threads that interest you. You can't expect everyone to do the work for you. If it's in your line of interest, you know what to do.

Nobody is stopping you from starting threads that interest you. You can't expect everyone to do the work for you. If it's in your line of interest, you know what to do.

The threads are already there it just seems they get derailed. Well done for missing the point.

The threads are already there it just seems they get derailed. Well done for missing the point.

What point did I miss? You're here complaining about what's not here and taking passive aggressive swipes about what is here. You have all the power in the world to start a thread that interests you. If you're just here to complain about the existing nature of the forum and take swipes I think that's pretty lame, tbh.
    And blogging and #ad always stays on topic so you're wrong there, soz.

• Advertisement

What point did I miss? You're here complaining about what's not here and taking passive aggressive swipes about what is here. You have all the power in the world to start a thread that interests you. If you're just here to complain about the existing nature of the forum and take swipes I think that's pretty lame, tbh.

Sorry I have no desire to engage with you, I intentionally did not reply to your other post. You will have to find someone else for your mid morning spat. I'm busy.

Advertisement