Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Isn’t this a thread to discuss the charter and about how we deal with people coming in and derailing topics and not the content of the threads?
    If you want posts that don’t include ‘gossip’ (which btw doesn’t even happen) then start a thread with the topic you like, simple.

Isn’t this a thread to discuss the charter and about how we deal with people coming in and detailing topics and not the content of the threads?
    If you want posts that don’t include ‘gossip’ (which btw doesn’t even happen) then start a thread with the topic you like, simple.

This concept seems to cause a brain melt for some people!

Actually spare me from infrequent "helicopter" posters who come in and think they can dictate the tone of the place when they post once in a blue moon, if ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

meeeeh wrote: »
    Interesting is debate about advertising violations, untruthful claims, new products and similar. As for bloggers spats, children, pets, partners I don't care about that fluff but many do and it seems that threads about #ad or #sp get snowed under the posts about someone's baby. So for me gossip thread would hopefully take care of that.

Perhaps start a thread on these topics and see if anyone is interested in discussing them with you.

Edit to add there was a thread about bloggers products which was closed and the mods said not to open a new one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

anna080 wrote: »
    Actually spare me from infrequent "helicopter" posters who come in and think they can dictate the tone of the place when they post once in a blue moon, if ever.

Infrequent 'helicopter' posters have the potential to become regular contributors.

Unless of course it's made quite clear that their perfectly valid opinions aren't welcome because they disagree with some of the more vocal regulars who operate under the misguided belief that they have some sort of right to dictate the tone of the place.

Graham wrote: »
    Infrequent 'helicopter' posters have the potential to become regular contributors.

Unless of course it's made quite clear that their perfectly valid opinions aren't welcome because they disagree with some of the more vocal regulars who operate under the misguided belief that they have some sort of right to dictate the tone of the place.

I'm not disputing that. But it's clear that that poster's "concerns" were sandwiched between passive aggressive digs. Of course everyone is welcome but if your main gripe is the tone of the forum well then do something about it and start your own thread no one is stopping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This thread and most of the posts in it are voicing concern that the forum is dying due to a mixture of unfair moderation, and issues with people making no other contributions other than to drop in every now and again to sh*t stir and make sly digs.

Sorry if I sound like I "have some sort of right to dictate the tone of the place" but why should those of us who actually use this forum and contribute to it on a regular basis, who campaigned for it to be created in the first place, be made feel like we should have NO say in how its run? Why should we feel bad for voicing our concerns when we're the ones actually using it?

This forum is open to anyone willing to make a considerate, knowledgeable reply. Everyone is welcome to engage in respectful debate. If people aren't happy with the more "vocal posters" here or the "bullying" that is allegedly going on, please specify which posts are of issue so we can discuss as a group here or report it to a Mod.

Throwing around comments about bullying with nothing to back up the claims and complaining about vocal posters without specifying who is just a cloak and dagger situation, and is exactly the type of sh*t stirring that is the most annoying here.

Either say what you actually mean, or say nothing at all.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Nobody can dictate the tone of a forum really, surely it's up to all users - not just the frequent users - to have a say in how they would like the forum to operate? You said yourself the forum is dying on it's arse so it is definitely time for changes. If it's true that the forum is dying on it's arse, and I think you are right btw, then the current frequent users are just not enough to keep it going. New ideas from users who don't already post here regularly but might if things changed should be welcomed instead of rubbished as soon as they are perceived to be contain any negative comments. You're only short of posting that users should only be positive, no h8rs please and let's build each other up, not tear each other down, etc. Puke :D
    I'm not disputing that. But it's clear that that poster's "concerns" were sandwiched between passive aggressive digs. Of course everyone is welcome but if your main gripe is the tone of the forum well then do something about it and start your own thread no one is stopping you.
    "Of course everyone is welcome" is not borne out by some of the responses to people trying to contribute. None of the suggestions are a personal attack on you or other users, just people saying what they don't currently like and what could potentially change for the better.

I'd hardly say none of the suggestions were personal attacks when in the last 24 hours the worlds "bullies" "nasty" and "bltchy comments" were used to describe the "frequent posters"..

But hey, that's just me.

• Advertisement

And not to hammer home a point that has been brought up before, but shouldn’t this thread have the same respect as something like the Soccer thread? (Obviously using it for comparison).
    I don’t swan over there and post something like ‘Football is just pointless, footballers earn too much money for kicking a ball about’, knowing fully that it’s inflammatory.
    I think posts like that need to be monitored better in comparison to having valid posts removed in the original thread discussing the Ciara O’D/Aliexpress situation.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    This thread and most of the posts in it are voicing concern that the forum is dying due to a mixture of unfair moderation, and issues with people making no other contributions other than to drop in every now and again to sh*t stir and make sly digs.

Sorry if I sound like I "have some sort of right to dictate the tone of the place" but why should those of us who actually use this forum and contribute to it on a regular basis, who campaigned for it to be created in the first place, be made feel like we should have NO say in how its run? Why should we feel bad for voicing our concerns when we're the ones actually using it?

This forum is open to anyone willing to make a considerate, knowledgeable reply. Everyone is welcome to engage in respectful debate. If people aren't happy with the more "vocal posters" here or the "bullying" that is allegedly going on, please specify which posts are of issue so we can discuss as a group here or report it to a Mod.

Throwing around comments about bullying with nothing to back up the claims and complaining about vocal posters without specifying who is just a cloak and dagger situation, and is exactly the type of sh*t stirring that is the most annoying here.

Either say what you actually mean, or say nothing at all.

"If people aren't happy with the more "vocal posters" here or the "bullying" that is allegedly going on, please specify which posts are of issue so we can discuss as a group here or report it to a Mod."

There is a definite Us versus Them feeling in here with regard to moderation and it's not the way things work on most other forums I use. Problem posters, trolls or bullying are never dealt with by a group of users on any forum on boards, only by mods or maybe admins. Perhaps the role of mods on Boards is an issue that also needs to be made clearer to users here to avoid confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

miamee wrote: »
    "If people aren't happy with the more "vocal posters" here or the "bullying" that is allegedly going on, please specify which posts are of issue so we can discuss as a group here or report it to a Mod."

There is a definite Us versus Them feeling in here with regard to moderation and it's not the way things work on most other forums I use. Problem posters, trolls or bullying are never dealt with by a group of users on any forum on boards, only by mods or maybe admins. Perhaps the role of mods on Boards is an issue that also needs to be made clearer to users here to avoid confusion.

The mods in this forum don't deal with issues though.
    How many times has a poster been personally attacked in this thread alone and no moderator action has taken place?

The Mods don't seem to care when people are personally attacked, as has been made clear on this thread and others.
    I'm obviously in favour of Mods dealing with issues, but if someone is big enough to call someone "bitchy" or a "bully" so publicly, then I believe they should be big enough to back up their claims.
    Its not fair to suggest it should be ok for them to make the comments, but not ok for us to discuss that, and let a Mod deal with it.

The Mod role on every other forum is very clear on Boards. It only seems to be an issue here.

1) If you have an issue with a post, why aren't you reporting it?

2) Why should new posters be excluded from existing threads?
    I'd hardly say none of the suggestions were personal attacks when in the last 24 hours the worlds "bullies" "nasty" and "bltchy comments" were used to describe the "frequent posters"..

But hey, that's just me.

If you've been called any of those things, refer to 1) above.

As a frequent 'helicopter' on this forum I've been put off from interacting precisely because the general tone frequently is bitchy.

As Graham has mentioned, you need to report the problem posts, you can't expect mods to magically see them.

Once you start getting into a back and forth about personal attacks, a thread goes wildly off-topic and it is very off-putting to new users who might have been interested in the thread title but no longer interested when they see the arguments and sniping. I know, because this has often been the case for me and probably a few others. Report and move on. If you're not happy with the mods reaction, PM them to ask what's the story.

I think I've posted more in this thread than I have in the rest of the forum since it began :o so I think this will be my last post on it.

- If you don't like the moderation, talk to the mods, not just about them.

- If you don't like the lack of new users, listen to the opinions of potential new users to the forum.

- If multiple people are citing the same issues with the forum, give some thought to the fact that maybe, just maybe, there is some truth to what they are saying instead of the "h8rs gonna h8" attitude. That's getting the forum nowhere.

As a frequent 'helicopter' on this forum I've been put off from interacting precisely because the general tone frequently is bitchy.

If you feel its so bitchy why aren't you taking your own advice and reporting the posts?

Just an fyi, the ‘helicopter’ comment wasn’t originally brought up by Anna in fairness. The original poster that posted it (in my opinion) as a veiled dig.

If you feel like you cannot post in the threads, then I’m sorry, but I don’t appreciate the description of it being ‘bitchy’.
    It’s comments like that that actually derail threads.

1) How do you know I haven't reported posts?
    2) I don't want to exclude anyone- well done for massively misinterpreting my point.
    3) Thanks for the wisdom. I know how these things work.
    You last line has just proved my overall point,tbh. It's irony in and of itself. People are incapable of being civil.

As Graham has mentioned, you need to report the problem posts, you can't expect mods to magically see them.

In my own experience, in the last week alone I reported 6/7 posts. Nothing was done.
    Once you start getting into a back and forth about personal attacks, a thread goes wildly off-topic and it is very off-putting to new users who might have been interested in the thread title but no longer interested when they see the arguments and sniping. I know, because this has often been the case for me and probably a few others. Report and move on. If you're not happy with the mods reaction, PM them to ask what's the story.

Due to the fact that the moderation here is none existent, you can't expect people not to retaliate when someone is nasty to them.
    - If you don't like the moderation, talk to the mods, not just about them.
    That's what this whole thread is for.
    - If you don't like the lack of new users, listen to the opinions of potential new users to the forum.

I think its been said 5/6 times now that new posters are welcome so long as they are making proper contributions and not just dropping in to sh*t stir or take the piss
    - If multiple people are citing the same issues with the forum, give some thought to the fact that maybe, just maybe, there is some truth to what they are saying instead of the "h8rs gonna h8" attitude. That's getting the forum nowhere.

You are being a hypocrite now. You are saying that when "regulars" are called names they should move on and not get involved in spats, but that when people come in calling us bitches we should just suck it up because maybe they have a point? Are you serious????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Graham why do you not post in the blogging forum we welcome any male who follows bloggers .. I would prefer if we had a male comment then maybe we may not have to suffer mod comments like put your handbags down ladies stop being bitchy ,, in fairness this forum is heavily moderated against us commenting on facts and issues which have been made public and yet we are not protected from people trying to derail the thread or start trouble in order to
    Have the thread closed ,, any suggestions

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    If you feel its so bitchy why aren't you taking your own advice and reporting the posts?

To be honest there's just too many of them. That and it really is the general tone of many of the threads rather than 'personal attacks'.

To be honest there's just too many of them. That and it really is the general tone of many of the threads rather than 'personal attacks'.

I've honestly never seen you around here, ever. I find it hard to believe you're so upset and wound up over a forum you've never posted in.
    So you have a go at me for not reporting posts but you don't do it yourself cos there's "too many"...
    right...

1) How do you know I haven't reported posts?
    2) I don't want to exclude anyone- well done for massively misinterpreting my point.
    3) Thanks for the wisdom. I know how these things work.
    You last line has just proved my overall point,tbh. It's irony in and of itself. People are incapable of being civil.

If you've reported threads and nothing has been done it's possible the mod doesn't agree with your interpretation of the post being reported.

I've no idea what upset you about my opinion regarding bitchiness. What makes you interpret my opinion as uncivil?

If you've reported threads and nothing has been done it's possible the mod doesn't agree with your interpretation of the post being reported.

I've no idea what upset you about my opinion regarding bitchiness. What makes you interpret my opinion as uncivil?

Maybe the mods don't agree with your interpretation of the forum either and doesn't feel the need to intervene in the manner of the "bltchy frequent posters"..
    If you've problems with the tone then take your own advice and report the posts, Graham.
    This is just going around in circles now.

I've honestly never seen you around here, ever. I find it hard to believe you're so upset and wound up over a forum you've never posted in.

I didn't say anything about being upset or wound up. I said it had put me off interacting.

Your responses so far would make me believe you're taking my opinion very personally for some reason. I don't know why, I haven't mentioned you or your posting style at all, just the tone of may of the threads in general.

I didn't say anything about being upset or wound up. I said it had put me off interacting.

Your responses so far would make me believe you're taking my opinion very personally for some reason. I don't know why, I haven't mentioned you or your posting style at all, just the tone of may of the threads in general.

I'm not taking anything personally, it's not at all in my nature. This forum is meant to be a light hearted outlet where we post in good spirit. We have built up a great comradery here and you are more than welcome to join as are any new posters. Feel free to start a thread on whatever tickles your fancy.

I haven't mentioned you or your posting style at all, just the tone of may of the threads in general.

Just out of interest and not trying to be smart, I just would like to honestly know, but what is something that you typically think makes the overall tone bitchy?

Maybe the mods don't agree with your interpretation of the forum either and doesn't feel the need to intervene in the manner of the "bltchy frequent posters".

Please don't ascribe the "bitchy frequent posters" quote to me because it's not what I said?

• Advertisement

Please don't ascribe the "bitchy frequent posters" quote to me because it's not what I said?

Sorry- it was the tone you described as "frequently bltchy".
    I forgot that the tone comes from the sky.

Advertisement