Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter

Options
  • 11-12-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

Can we maybe talk about revising some elements of the charter?

A few things have cropped up lately that I feel aren't covered but needs to be addressed.

I can't be the only person it annoys when someone with no interest or knowledge on blogging starts soapboxing about issues they know nothing about.

Just as an example, on the topic of Ciara O'D selling AliExpress rubbish for a 900% profit we've had about 5 occasions where members who have no interest in blogging come on and tell us that its just standard business practice and to basically get over it, when they don't know any facts. This isn't the case at all and deserves to be talked about and highlighted.

When the facts are given they then disappear, never to be seen on the forum again, but have totally derailed the conversation.

I don't think I would be received well if I waltzed into the Soccer forum and started preaching about how its just a game and don't take it so seriously, so it baffles me as to why its allowed here.

Obviously it would be very hard to monitor and I'm not trying to exclude anyone from sharing their opinion, but these drive-by type comments just serve to derail threads and doesn't usually add anything to the discussions.

I'm sure that other members will have their own input and suggestions but so far I'm putting the idea forward that this type of posting be covered in the charter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

I agree with you and on multiple occasions have suggested that we have the forum set up like the soccer forum where everyone can read it but you have to ask for access to post.
    It seems to be a popular idea by the amount of thanks it gets but has been ignored by mods for some reason.

Can I yet again suggest this as it would cut out the extra moderator work of telling people not to post without x amount of posts and stop the annoying posts WR is talking about as well as the people who come here just to stir trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Just happened again. This is taking all enjoyment out of is forum for me and it wouldn't be tolerated elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

I agree.
    What gets on my goat in here is there is a rule, more than 50 posts and a member for x amount of time (is it three months I’m not going back out to check) yet constantly, and oh how conincidentally, these new posters who by pure chance have just joined and it’s their first/second post come in to join, and very coincidentally haven’t a clue what they are talking about or are here in defense of a blogger who might be the topic of conversation *sarcasm

I barely even come on here any more I go on reddit, a good forum has been ruined by the moderation of what you can and can’t talk about and stragglers coming in

This isn't directed at the forum mods at all, more so at Boards as a whole, but its extremely frustrating to have to watch what I say so closely so as not to break any rules or get myself in trouble when there's one post wonders dropping in sh*t stirring every couple of days and nothing's been done about it.

Just tonight, another member, who has zero previous posts in this forum, has twice 'pulled me up' (his words) on my choice of phrase, because he feels he can. He doesn't like the word I used. He isn't a mod but he feels he's entitled to come on here and tell me what I can and can't do. How is that allowed?

It has always been said that Boards is more of an old boys club and I never believe it till now. I must have reported 2/3 posts today alone and nothing is being done.
    It's so disheartening as a member of many years and a reader of many more to be treated this way.

At this stage I nearly feel like the drive-by posters are taking the p*ss out of us, meanwhile we need to watch every word we say for fear of going off topic and being infracted. It's infuriating.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    This isn't directed at the forum mods at all, more so at Boards as a whole, but its extremely frustrating to have to watch what I say so closely so as not to break any rules or get myself in trouble when there's one post wonders dropping in sh*t stirring every couple of days and nothing's been done about it.

Just tonight, another member, who has zero previous posts in this forum, has twice 'pulled me up' (his words) on my choice of phrase, because he feels he can. He doesn't like the word I used. He isn't a mod but he feels he's entitled to come on here and tell me what I can and can't do. How is that allowed?

It has always been said that Boards is more of an old boys club and I never believe it till now. I must have reported 2/3 posts today alone and nothing is being done.
    It's so disheartening as a member of many years and a reader of many more to be treated this way.

At this stage I nearly feel like the drive-by posters are taking the p*ss out of us, meanwhile we need to watch every word we say for fear of going off topic and being infracted. It's infuriating.

It's no wonder at all that most of the posters here have moved to reddit, and most posters on boards use reddit more often than boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The word is "mansplain" and I "pulled her up" as I feel it's an inflammatory word. I'm entitled to read whatever forums I like and I don't go anywhere to troll, my fiancee follows lots of bloggers so this one piqued my interest as she would often buy or look to buy things bloggers talk about.

I feel I'm also entitled to disagree with a word being used if I feel it's offensive, I'm sure there'd be uproar if we created an equal word for women. Which, by the way, I'd have no interest in doing as it's not constructive and frankly damaging to the relationship between men and women.

Dave147 wrote: »
    The word is "mansplain" and I "pulled her up" as I feel it's an inflammatory word. I'm entitled to read whatever forums I like and I don't go anywhere to troll, my fiancee follows lots of bloggers so this one piqued my interest as she would often buy or look to buy things bloggers talk about.

I feel I'm also entitled to disagree with a word being used if I feel it's offensive, I'm sure there'd be uproar if we created an equal word for women. Which, by the way, I'd have no interest in doing as it's not constructive and frankly damaging to the relationship between men and women.

I'll direct you back to the thread in question where someone used the word "ladycating".

I didn't create uproar and neither did any other woman.

I look forward to you pulling him up on it for using an "inflammatory and offensive" term.

Him using that word was reactionary to the original use of the word "mansplain". It's such a stupid word and you all know it is. I certainly don't go into forums to troll, it would be clear from my post history.

Him using that word was reactionary to the original use of the word "mansplain". It's such a stupid word and you all know it is. I certainly don't go into forums to troll, it would be clear from my post history.

You're making excuses tbh. I didn't use the word so he certainly had no reason to direct it to me.

You can't say its wrong to say x to men but it's OK to say y to women.
    If it's offensive then it's offensive.

Except I never said it's ok, I never heard "ladycating" before but I think it's equally stupid. It looks like a word made up on the spot to counter "mansplain".

• Advertisement

Except I never said it's ok, I never heard "ladycating" before but I think it's equally stupid. It looks like a word made up on the spot to counter "mansplain".

You pulled someone up on the use of the word mansplain because you feel it's inflammatory and offensive.
    You agree that he used the above word to counter the use of mansplain and you know he said it purposely to offend?

So as you entered the thread to "pull someone up" on their use of offensive and inflammatory words I'm baffled that you've decided to ignore his comment.

I didn't see the post until late tonight as I was at work, as I already said "ladycate" which I never heard of until tonight is equally stupid, and it looks like a word he made up on the spot? "Mansplain" has been doing the rounds for awhile and I hate it, I'm entitled to hate it, I do find it offensive and paints us as these complete gob****es that have no respect for women and think we know it all. As I said, I'm not a troll and genuinely hate this word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Lads - it's completely off topic - don't feed the troll

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I didn't see the post until late tonight as I was at work, as I already said "ladycate" which I never heard of until tonight is equally stupid, and it looks like a word he made up on the spot? "Mansplain" has been doing the rounds for awhile and I hate it, I'm entitled to hate it, I do find it offensive and paints us as these complete gob****es that have no respect for women and think we know it all. As I said, I'm not a troll and genuinely hate this word.
    Try being a woman who has been on the receiving end of it for years, even when you know more than the man doing it. You may hate it and not do it, doesn't mean it's not a reality for women on an almost daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm not much of a poster here but I do read the forum daily and TBH the use of "mansplaining" and "ladycating" are equally offensive and neither have a place in this forum, both felt like cheap shots and aren't achieving anything.

I agree that the one post wonders are ruining the vibe of the forum in that they come in, spout whatever nonsense they like and leave without any repercussions while those of us that have a vested interest in the forum have to deal with any fallout as well as have discussions shut down, posts deleted after the fact etc etc.

I second the suggestion to make the forum like soccer with read only access until you apply. We've only had the forum a few months and it's been fairly successful, with the exception of the cease and desist brigade stuff. It's being used more than I thought it would which is good to see, there are very forums I read on boards any more so its nice to have an interest again and it would be a shame to see it fall to the wayside if people aren't happy posting here.

You are not a moderator, you have no right to "pull me up" on anything and the fact that you feel entitled to frankly speaks volumes. If you have a problem with something I have posted feel free to report it but don't for a minute think you can start soapboxing to me about 1 word when you have added zero substance to the discussion.

misslt wrote: »
    I'm not much of a poster here but I do read the forum daily and TBH the use of "mansplaining" and "ladycating" are equally offensive and neither have a place in this forum, both felt like cheap shots and aren't achieving anything.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but what word would you use for men who come onto a forum they have no interest in to tell those with a vested interest they are wrong, with absolutely no prior knowledge of the subject? Why do these people think we are so inferior that we need a man who knows nothing about the topic to chip in and put us right?
    Because that's honestly how it comes across to me. Its bordering on misogynistic at this stage.

Totally agree with the rest of your post, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Can we keep this to discussion about the charter please?

I'll raise this in the mod forum and start a discussion. I'm not sure how the process for making this forum read only would be, or if we would be allowed to do that so I'll kick that up to the CMods and Admins. We were recently discussing the 50 post limit as well and considering whether or not to keep it. If you have any further suggestions about how to improve the charter, please post them here. The charter was made up from suggestions from the community before the forum was open to posts so I can see that we definitely need to make a few tweaks.

If everyone can continue to thank the posts they agree with, it would be really helpful for us to see what you all agree on. Thanks everyone.

I'll kick things off by saying that I think that the 50 minimum posts should go, but that anyone who joins just to go on a one post rant should be dealt with severely.
    I think the current rules might be putting off a lot of people who would be able to make great contributions because they don't have enough posts. So I would say get rid of the rule, but have it clear in the charter that anyone taking advantage will be infracted/banned without warning.

The bigger issue is established users of other parts of boards jumping in with one post wonders, which does nothing but derail the flow of conversation. I personally find this to be the biggest issue at the moment. Making the forum read only might help things but other than that I have no suggestion as to how we could resolve this issue.

That happens everywhere on Boards though - most posters just ignore the "seagulls" (swoop in out of nowhere, sh*t everywhere and then fly off again).

I do think threads about bloggers and influences would work best as closed threads but I don't know is that fair on the forum as there are genuine new posters who have general social media questions and shouldn't have to wait for permission or have 50 posts to ask a general social media question - maybe the forum needs to be split?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

May I suggest you also comment your distaste for the word ladycating to that poster too

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cria

Not trying to be argumentative here, but what word would you use for men who come onto a forum they have no interest in to tell those with a vested interest they are wrong, with absolutely no prior knowledge of the subject? Why do these people think we are so inferior that we need a man who knows nothing about the topic to chip in and put us right?
    Because that's honestly how it comes across to me. Its bordering on misogynistic at this stage.

Totally agree with the rest of your post, btw.

Male moderators come on these posts telling us not to be bitchy we have to tolerate comments like that just because we are women having a discussion the term bitchy gets thrown around

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Cria wrote: »
    Male moderators come on these posts telling us not to be bitchy we have to tolerate comments like that just because we are women having a discussion the term bitchy gets thrown around

That has never happened in this forum so if we could keep the discussion relevant please? We don't need discussion about the Blogs/wiki forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I think if the forum is going to open to everyone then we can nearly expect there to be people coming over and making comments that we don't necessarily agree with. As bad as it is now, getting rid of the 50 post limit is going to attract all sorts who register only to call us names and tell us what saddos we are. Personally I'm still not over being called the biggest bltch on boards by some random one post wonder :devo: :loveditreally:

But in all seriousness, adding a "request only" forum would literally kill the place. It's already dying on its arse and we have, for the most part, taken to Reddit to chat about things. But- I still like boards and still like to engage here, it's just becoming increasingly difficult to do so in the manner which we wanted. We fought very hard to get this forum and these days it's not very active at all.
    By all means, men are welcome to join the discussion- I think one prominent poster is a dude- but when your sole purpose is to pick on other posters, call us pathetic and act like you know it all to a bunch of women who have been following threads like this for years- well those losers need to be dealt with fairly swiftly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'll kick things off by saying that I think that the 50 minimum posts should go, but that anyone who joins just to go on a one post rant should be dealt with severely.
    How would that work? How long would mods wait before deciding that a post was someone's one and only post? An hour? A day? A week? The minimum post count seems like an easier, more straight forward way to manage it - maybe lowering the number would be a better idea though?
    I think the current rules might be putting off a lot of people who would be able to make great contributions because they don't have enough posts. So I would say get rid of the rule, but have it clear in the charter that anyone taking advantage will be infracted/banned without warning.
    On the one hand you are complaining about one post wonders but also complaining that low post count users can't join in. Again, lowering the min. post count might help.
    The bigger issue is established users of other parts of boards jumping in with one post wonders, which does nothing but derail the flow of conversation. I personally find this to be the biggest issue at the moment. Making the forum read only might help things but other than that I have no suggestion as to how we could resolve this issue.

What you mean there is that posters who don't usually post in the forum are derailing the flow of conversation with their differing opinions. If someone arrives to troll in the forum, why not just report the post, ignore them and move on like users do in every other forum? It's not an issue that is unique to this forum. The forum was interesting at the beginning but has become a bit of an echo chamber. Surely having more than one viewpoint is a good thing regardless of who it's from? I get the impression that some users here would you rather this was a private forum for a select few users only but a bit of variety is never a bad thing. New posters to the forum would help keep it active.

This post is not specifically directed at you WhiteRoses but your post there just stood out to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

miamee wrote: »
    What you mean there is that posters who don't usually post in the forum are derailing the flow of conversation with their differing opinions. If someone arrives to troll in the forum, why not just report the post, ignore them and move on like users do in every other forum? It's not an issue that is unique to this forum. The forum was interesting at the beginning but has become a bit of an echo chamber. Surely having more than one viewpoint is a good thing regardless of who it's from? I get the impression that some users here would you rather this was a private forum for a select few users only but a bit of variety is never a bad thing. New posters to the forum would help keep it active.

This post is not specifically directed at you WhiteRoses but your post there just stood out to me.

This! I feel like some posters here are looking for an echo chamber. If someone comes along who has a different view to you then either ignore it or challenge it. I think what this board needs is more people posting with differing views not less otherwise it all just becomes a bit predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

I have zero problem in being challenged or different opinions. What I take issue with is people swooping in here, not actually contributing to the conversation, just taking pot shots at users comments with zero input to what the actual discussion is about. That condescension and patronizing I could do without. Most posters on here make valid, well thought out points and can back them up, coming here and acting like they're being bitchy females just won't wash.

I'd like to add that I don't think every problem we come across should be a moderator issue either. We should be able to sort things out amongst ourselves as posters. I hate to being Reddit into it, but we literally haven't had one issue over there (for the most part) and that is because we are largely left to our own devices and discussion has remained fairly civil because of that.

I really hate when people bring up Reddit - if you prefer Reddit then just post there - no one is stopping you.

• Advertisement

GingerLily wrote: »
    I really hate when people bring up Reddit - if you prefer Reddit then just post there - no one is stopping you.

And I really hate when people get it into their heads that they're mods when they're not but hey ho.

Advertisement