Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Boards Draft XI - Discussion Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

5 Posts Max
    I'll jump in here with two feet.

Would like to see women's titles included in the tag team rules. Gives people a better chance of building a decent female match.

Also pre 70's rule. Is there any need for it anymore?

Just my thoughts at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

5 Posts Max
    This might be completely off the wall but a first come first pick round.

So say round 6 ends the first person to get their pick in in round 7 gets their man or woman and it continues. With a 24 hour window for everyone to get it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

6 Posts Max
    No think away........

I love all input and its greatly appraciated.

I was more concerned of ways to improve the writing phase. You obviously didnt have this issue, but others failed to manage to get 4 to 5 shows and a PPV up.

I would like to maybe change this to maybe 1 PPV preview outlining the feuds and how they came about and 1 PPV. I feel the demand of 4 to 5 shows plus a big PPV was too much of a burden for most players to manage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

5 Posts Max
    I always found 4 shows and a ppv a lot. I'd like a say opening show/ mission statement of the promotion. Then a storyline journey post then a PPV

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

5 Posts Max
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    No think away........

I love all input and its greatly appraciated.

I was more concerned of ways to improve the writing phase. You obviously didnt have this issue, but others failed to manage to get 4 to 5 shows and a PPV up.

I would like to maybe change this to maybe 1 PPV preview outlining the feuds and how they came about and 1 PPV. I feel the demand of 4 to 5 shows plus a big PPV was too much of a burden for most players to manage.

Well, and this a personal thing but I'd leave the shows as optional perhaps?

Leave the requirement as one PPV for your draft with Preview/etc if they want.

I'd miss being able to build for the main show but if that's the way it goes to suit the majority I could live with it... grudgingly :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

6 Posts Max
    yay, just thinking about how this was returning soon a few days ago.

With regards the writing I think last time there was some discussion on the topic and the result seemed to be a consensus on something like a preview show, a buildup show and a PPV show was all that was reccomended to do.

Obviously only a PPV is needed but to win in the past you'd be competing against people who did 5/6 shows inc the PPV and 7+ posts in some cases. Limiting it at three although restrictive for us Vets of the draft may be fair.
    Necrominus wrote: »
    I'll jump in here with two feet.

Would like to see women's titles included in the tag team rules. Gives people a better chance of building a decent female match.

Also pre 70's rule. Is there any need for it anymore?

Just my thoughts at the moment.

Don't think there wis any need for the pre 70s rule and was actually one of the people slowly causing it to become obsolete by getting rid of it in a later round the last time I ran the game, something which think Joe continued to do. That said some variation on the rule could work well as an early rd stip as apposed to a rule i.e only people who debuted after 1990 are available in rd1 but the rule is only in effect for that stip round.

I'd kinda agree on the womens one although I think in the past I did just say fair play to those who chose women early enough to take the best ones in tag teams.

6 Posts Max
    This might be completely off the wall but a first come first pick round.

So say round 6 ends the first person to get their pick in in round 7 gets their man or woman and it continues. With a 24 hour window for everyone to get it in.

I think this would be great crack but you would probably get loads of people trying to post at the same time at it getting very messy esp if people don't realize they didn't get their pick.... I'd be up for it though :D

5 Posts Max

With regards the writing I think last time there was some discussion on the topic and the result seemed to be a consensus on something like a preview show, a buildup show and a PPV show was all that was reccomended to do.

Obviously only a PPV is needed but to win in the past you'd be competing against people who did 5/6 shows inc the PPV and 7+ posts in some cases. Limiting it at three although restrictive for us Vets of the draft may be fair.

I actually didn't think about it like this. Again from a personal perspective 4 or 5 shows isn't enough for me! But to get more people competing and submitting PPVs would be better for the draft that is for sure. I can still write my shows and post them following the conclusion of the competition I suppose :pac:

5 Posts Max
    I think this would be great crack but you would probably get loads of people trying to post at the same time at it getting very messy esp if people don't realize they didn't get their pick.... I'd be up for it though :D

Something to think about would give the last person in a round with an advantage as they could have 2 picks to go straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

5 Posts Max
    Something to think about would give the last person in a round with an advantage as they could have 2 picks to go straight away

One way of making it run somewhat smooth, is spring it on everyone in a new thread halfway through the previous round - eg. Draft R7 order - and quicker people post in it, the order would be decided by the end of R6? You can still have a stip on the round as well too.

As a first timer last year, I wanted to post all shows and a PPV, but did find it very time consuming. The idea of max 3 shows might bring more people in for the Writing Phase of the comp.

• Advertisement

6 Posts Max
    Necrominus wrote: »
    I actually didn't think about it like this. Again from a personal perspective 4 or 5 shows isn't enough for me! But to get more people competing and submitting PPVs would be better for the draft that is for sure. I can still write my shows and post them following the conclusion of the competition I suppose :pac:

See i would be of the thinking that Id rather take a hit on posting 6/7 shows and posting 2-3 instead in order to boost the number of full submissions.

5 Posts Max
    beakerjoe wrote:
    See i would be of the thinking that Id rather take a hit on posting 6/7 shows and posting 2-3 instead in order to boost the number of full submissions.

I could live with it. My ideas will stay locked in my mind.

In someways you could fully focus on the matches for the PPV and not be nearly burnt out after writing 5 or 6 shows prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

4 Posts Max
    I think there definitely should be less shows to write.

The Draft basically is two phases in one: first part is the picking phase which generally runs very smoothly. It seems like we finish with close to 100 per cent completion of the rosters. The second part is the writing phase and it's clear the last few years that the completion record falls dramatically in this area. For the 2017 game the completion record of the writing was 7/20.

In other words, we lost over half of the players from the first phase to the second phase.

I liked the idea that A Brad Maddox Guy suggested at the end of the 2017 game:
    Currently in the write-ups we are often doing a hype show, 4 episodes, a PPV preview & a PPV - it's a lot. I'll suggest something in the middle of the current write-up format & the PPV-only suggested format; a preview & PPV combo. Everybody gets one show to preview the PPV which we can use to explain the feuds, hype the show & give an idea of what the characters involved are. Then the usual PPV write-ups which as always were excellent this year. At least this way people can still experiment a little with their rosters and keep the game concise at the same time. Would this work?

If this is deemed too limiting then maybe we could add one more write-up so that it becomes 1) your preview of the roster 2) explaining your feuds 3) the actual PPV itself.

Three write-ups would seem to me to be the most we should go for. I think going beyond this risks the familiar trend of the last few years of players not feeling they have the time to devote to so much written work.

One other problem which is related to the above is that the second phase of the game tends to drag out quite a long time after the picking phase has ended, which loses us a lot of momentum.

We should look to capture the enthusiasm that is there in the picking phase and aim to wrap up the writing part no more than 2-3 weeks after the picking part ends. To put it into perspective, we wrapped up the picking phase in mid-February but the voting on the rosters part was taking place in mid-April. That's two months after the first phase had ended. It's far too long and I think if we can speed up the second phase then we will see many more people complete the whole game, which should be the goal.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

6 Posts Max
    I think there definitely should be less shows to write.

The Draft basically is two phases in one: first part is the picking phase which generally runs very smoothly. It seems like we finish with close to 100 per cent completion of the rosters. The second part is the writing phase and it's clear the last few years that the completion record falls dramatically in this area. For the 2017 game the completion record of the writing was 7/20.

In other words, we lost over half of the players from the first phase to the second phase.

I liked the idea that A Brad Maddox Guy suggested at the end of the 2017 game:

If this is deemed too limiting then maybe we could add one more write-up so that it becomes 1) your preview of the roster 2) explaining your feuds 3) the actual PPV itself.

Three write-ups would seem to me to be the most we should go for. I think going beyond this risks the familiar trend of the last few years of players not feeling they have the time to devote to so much written work.

One other problem which is related to the above is that the second phase of the game tends to drag out quite a long time after the picking phase has ended, which loses us a lot of momentum.

We should look to capture the enthusiasm that is there in the picking phase and aim to wrap up the writing part no more than 2-3 weeks after the picking part ends. To put it into perspective, we wrapped up the picking phase in mid-February but the voting on the rosters part was taking place in mid-April. That's two months after the first phase had ended. It's far too long and I think if we can speed up the second phase then we will see many more people complete the whole game, which should be the goal.

I couldnt agree more on the 2nd point.

I felt I was obilgated to extend the 6 week peroid initially allowed for the write ups due to the fact that a) an extension was more or less tradition and b) the fact that people were doing 6 write ups, some being quite lenghty (guilty as charged) that 6 weeks wasnt enough for anyone to get these write ups done.

With a reduced format of 2 posts (one being a preview of your show outling the build up to the ppv and two being the ppv itself) is more than acceptable in my eyes.

I wouldnt be in favor of anymore than 2.

However I will go with the majority on this one.

With that said, I would also like to have a 4 week deadline with NO extensions.

5 Posts Max
    Oh lord, please no extensions. 4 weeks is plenty to get 2 shows in, particularly when the writing phase opens during... round 10 generally is it?

Again, I'm happy to write 10 shows if necessary, but to allow better completion by others not as bat-sh1t mental as me then a reduction is the fairest way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

5 Posts Max
    Yeah I've been guilty of not getting up content in years gone by.

It can be a bit of a slog alright. As somebody said it'd be great to match the enthusiasm of the picks to the write ups.

If there is way we could encourage weekly writes up. It would even help in the reading of feds. Am a big exponent of the preview write ups it can achieve a lot.in terms of what your association is and what its about.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

5 Posts Max
    Twice I failed to post Shows and PPVs. Correct me if it is three times!

Both times it was because I knew I would never get to read all the good work other people did. How could I post my own shows if I never had any real intention to read what everyone else did?

But, should someone like me not wanting to go that deep into it spoil the process for others who do?

I love the drafting part, the agony and delight keep me wanting to take part each year but the writing is something I struggle with generally. I hate writing matches for example. Then I can never find the time to read everyone else's shows.

I will follow the thread closely to see what ye come up with before deciding if I would join up again.

5 Posts Max
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Twice I failed to post Shows and PPVs. Correct me if it is three times!

Both times it was because I knew I would never get to read all the good work other people did. How could I post my own shows if I never had any real intention to read what everyone else did?

But, should someone like me not wanting to go that deep into it spoil the process for others who do?

I love the drafting part, the agony and delight keep me wanting to take part each year but the writing is something I struggle with.

I will follow the thread closely to see what ye come up with before deciding if I would join up again.

The picking is a good part of the fun don't let the write up put you off!

I'd say if there were more pick based awards at the end it could help this and if voting was quicker it would help.

5 Posts Max
    The picking is a good part of the fun don't let the write up put you off!

I'd say if there were more pick based awards at the end it could help this and if voting was quicker it would help.

Love this suggestion. Give two main awards. Best Roster. Best Write Ups. Don't discount those who don't have the time/aren't creatively minded enough from winning the overall.

And yeah more standard awards for draft picks.

Best Jobber pick

Most researched pick

Best stip pick

(Examples obviously). Might be too much work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

4 Posts Max
    I still think the same as MNG quoted me, although I would maybe stretch it to a 3 post maximum. How people frame this could be up to themselves; go the preview and summary route before your PPV or do 2 TV shows and your PPV if ya prefer. (I wouldn't apply this to ppvs themselves though, the 15 picture limit can sometimes force your hand into two shows so if someone has already posted twice they shouldn't be worried about squeezing their PPV in).

The Draft is great, taking part is always fun and tbh ye have all helped distract me through some pretty **** times the last couple of years so thanks for that. But the end of it can be very overwhelming I've found and if you aren't able to stay on top of everyone's shows early on it becomes near impossible to catch up let alone worry about posting your own shows. So for me the suggestion of lowering the max post number isn't to encourage easier write-ups, it's more to streamline the entire end process to get both more PPVs and votes.

EDIT: I definitely support the idea of finishing up shortly after the picks are finished. 4 weeks tops with or without an extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

4 Posts Max
    I think if at the end everyone at least throws up a ppv card even if they can't do tv shows and preview write ups etc.,

5 Posts Max
    There is nothing more lethal than thinking of fed and feuds ideas.

I have my headline acts I want and I'll be totally blinkered towards them. Really might disgard that and play it by ear.

6 Posts Max
    I usually have a lot of stuff in my head and a little under half of it happens in some form in the end but this time I am going in completely blank, no idea who ill draft, might need to shake up the BWA to get me into writing again.

5 Posts Max
    Would I be completely sh*ting the bed if I was to suggest putting up the sign-up thread for this maybe today or tomorrow?

I can't be the only one chomping at the bit.

5 Posts Max
    Nope I'd be totally cool with that too :D

6 Posts Max
    If you need a hand running things Joe, Young Child/Chirstmas/not on a lot recently (ATH/WW games etc too) let me know

I would be more than happy to start early but he did state Jan 1st well in advance and it was the same before so you wouldn't want to catch someone out by changing that now so close to the date. Waltersobchek or The bostonCrab for example have returned from a lack of posting only to sign up for the draft on Jan 1st before for example.

5 Posts Max
    Of course, I'm just impatient :D No harm in waiting another two days tbf....

5 Posts Max

I would be more than happy to start early but he did state Jan 1st well in advance and it was the same before so you wouldn't want to catch someone out by changing that now so close to the date. Waltersobchek or The bostonCrab for example have returned from a lack of posting only to sign up for the draft on Jan 1st before for example.

That sounds very fair.

Wonder will there be any new blood? If I remember correctly there were many debutantes last year. Always nice to see. I'd definitely encourage any newbies that are slightly intrigued put their name in the hat. It is fairly straight forward-

One paragraph explanation:

"Long term posters will know all about the draft, but for those with a bit less experience, each year, we run a competition known as the Pro-Wrestling Draft. The idea is simple enough; 20 people, over the course of around 2 months, draft a dream roster of superstars and divas, managers and announcers, modern and vintage wrestlers, in a bid to create the ultimate collection of characters. After everyone has chosen, each person is invited to explain how they would book their roster, detailing storylines, matches, characters, etc."

Take a look at past years to see exactly how it goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭daithi1989

5 Posts Max
    As a newbie to this last year, I had good fun taking part, and would encourage anyone who hasnt tried in the past to give it go!

• Advertisement

5 Posts Max
    Yeah, just to say Beaker if you need a hand with anything I can give a dig out if necessary too. I practically live on Boards these days :P

Advertisement