Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

pad199207 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what’s the easiest way to post pics from an iPhone ?

Go to legacy site
    I was trying yday in touch site and there is no option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Can someone tell me what’s the easiest way to post pics from an iPhone ?

Use taptalk,if you’re still on IWN then just copy the img line link in full

Just copy it and post it here
    Picture and your comment will show up here then
    Takes seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

Attempting the Sally Gap yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭pad199207

The snowline

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

still bitter and so icy in glencullen could not get up driveway this evening

I don’t think we have seen the last of the white gold up here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The snowline

Isn’t nature amazing how snow is dry enough suddenly to settle one metre either side of a ditch
    Can’t emphasize enough that it’s nature and chaos theory that’s in the driving seat not the forecaster
    The forecaster in these marginal set ups can explain after the fact but can’t pin down that snowline too well

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Partry Mountains today above 500m, plenty of snow and still coming down most of the day, more at @soulogav IG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Partry Mountains today above 500m, plenty of snow and still coming down most of the day, more at @soulogav IG

Stunning shots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Just a reminder to everyone to be careful driving well into tomorrow and indeed all week.

Back around 7/8 February 2007 we had a snow event at home, it was a hill event really. The Friday of that week the roads were fairly clear on the hills. I drove the 24 miles to work in Portlaoise, lovely sun and green fields. I drove home at a normal speed and had driven for so long in beautiful conditions forgot all about the weather we had at home.

I hit an area of road covered by trees on both sides at home approaching a bend. I skidded down an old laneway and turned over the car. Frightened the living sh*t out of me. Basically wrote off the car but came out unscathed myself.

That particular corner is treacherous and can hold snow and ice for 3 weeks after events. I just forgot where i was and wasn't concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Mullingar Co westmeath 10/12/17IMAG10023_zpshznxghqs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

nagdefy wrote: »
    Just a reminder to everyone to be careful driving well into tomorrow and indeed all week.

Back around 7/8 February 2007 we had a snow event at home, it was a hill event really. The Friday of that week the roads were fairly clear on the hills. I drove the 24 miles to work in Portlaoise, lovely sun and green fields. I drove home at a normal speed and had driven for so long in beautiful conditions forgot all about the weather we had at home.

I hit an area of road covered by trees on both sides at home approaching a bend. I skidded down an old laneway and turned over the car. Frightened the living sh*t out of me. Basically wrote off the car but came out unscathed myself.

That particular corner is treacherous and can hold snow and ice for 3 weeks after events. I just forgot where i was and wasn't concentrating.

Roads are very icy in Kildare, the ice didn't melt all day but the showers from earlier have frozen solid now so plenty of ice around. Skidded as I was pulling out of the car park on the way home just now so took it very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Roads are brutal in south kildare even worse than last night. A lot of black ice in places.
    Take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Wicklow Mountains today....Sugarloaf, Road up to Glenmalure, Top of Glenmalure, Glenmacnass Waterfall mist rising, Snow field in Roundwood, and Sunset at Vartry

38107517825_8863f46706_b.jpg

38957659832_e339a7cda4_b.jpg

25122959268_afd96c06c4_b.jpg

24129850527_3f41890f3e_b.jpg

38957661182_58614605ca_b.jpg

38107514935_3ec35f7a59_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My God Joanne on Claire Byrne talking about the frost tonight it's plain silly you would think the Country is snowed under

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

fabulous photos there. A great eye for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And the prize goes to...
    dsaint1 wrote: »
    Wicklow Mountains today....Sugarloaf, Road up to Glenmalure, Top of Glenmalure, Glenmacnass Waterfall mist rising, Snow field in Roundwood, and Sunset at Vartry

Brilliant photos! Some have an Alaska-type look about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

"Misty view over southwest Dublin city at dusk"

Gorgeous shot, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well done photos all through the thread, loved the cat in the snow (ours is all white and would disappear) ...

... as mentioned, some of the upland photos would compare with what we can see around the higher mountains here, these were taken Monday afternoon in the Selkirk Mountains of B.C. looking west into the valley where we now reside (under that blanket of low cloud visible, the far mountains are the Valhalla Range), and then east towards the Whitewater Range shown at its highest point, and finally the third photo is north towards the end of the same ridge; the Selkirk Mountains are a NW-SE trending range parallel to the Rockies which are further east, and the Selkiriks are just about as high as them but with less glacial carving (so not as rocky in appearance). There are permanent snowfields but not glaciers in this particular portion and the elevation in this highway pass area is about 1100 metres while the peaks are about 3000 metres asl. There is a third range, the Purcells running between the Selkirks and the Rockies, those have more glaciers and are also over 3,000 metres in places. The Rogers Pass is actually through that range, but the Selkirks and Purcells combine into one cluster north of the Trans Canada highway near Revelstoke.

The Valhalla Range visible in the first photo is west of Slocan Lake and New Denver, and contains one of the world's smallest extant glaciers, about 5 km by 2 km and sadly getting smaller each decade this past century. On a clear day we can see that from the road in front of our new location but it has been hidden behind the low cloud ceiling for the past week. We get some really strange sky colours here with reflections of light from the sunshine above the valley, a kind of luminous blue-grey shine to the cloud base sometimes, and then if it begins to clear, a lot of gold or orange-pink hues in the mist. Wood smoke adds to this effect as many people around this region heat their homes partially with wood stoves.

Not the best quality camera with us today but you get the idea.

Snow depths begin just above valley levels (both New Denver on Slocan Lake and Kaslo on Kootenay Lake have no lying snow, but a good enough cover for x-c ski and snowmobile trails by about 800 metres -- snow can be up to a metre deep at this location but today is only about 15-25 cms). We have had almost two weeks of dry weather so most of this snow fell in November.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm 10 wrote: »
    My God Joanne on Claire Byrne talking about the frost tonight it's plain silly you would think the Country is snowed under

I think we have gone a bit mad!

First item on the RTE radio news this morning was the cold weather warning....'with temperatures hovering around 0'....:eek:

Mahangh bridge on the m17 11/12/17IMAG2841_zpsit1d2dph.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

@dsaint1 Absolutely stunning photos, many thanks for posting they are beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My local school is still closed due to snow and ice today. There is a lot of snow still around here on the high ground in north Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Still a bit of snow in Ballinasloe!
    Enzo's first experience of snow and he loves it
    20171212_081403.jpg
    20171212_082313.jpg
    free share picture

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Drizzle here for the last half hour or so. Snow is thawing very slowly. Still a cm or so on the ground. Most roofs are cleared now and roads mostly clear - just frozen slush heaps in spots. 2.7c. Fields covered apart from ones with longer grass which are 50% green again.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

jArgHA wrote: »
    @dsaint1 Absolutely stunning photos, many thanks for posting they are beautiful.

Cheers, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

dsaint1 wrote: »
    Cheers, thank you!

What camera do you use?

Tuam Co Galway 11/12/17IMAG2840_zpsdyxsmndy.jpgI just want to thank everyone for all the brilliant pics and updates over the past few days thanks everyone yours m17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Sorry for the terrible photo quality but I thought this was kind of interesting. I took this from the Galway train passing near Kildare town in the early PM of 10/12/2017. The foreground: no snow. A not very high hill in the near background: snow. Guess the slightly higher elevation could be the reason. Or maybe the snow cloud just stopped there. :) I'd say it's the slightly higher elevation. I grew up on a similar hill and we'd frequently get snow where low-lying areas sometimes only a mile away might get none.

25319987_10212220753448266_1985272238_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Still very chilly in Dublin, the canal beside my work is only thawing today. Dublin mountains still looking very white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Big rally in temps here in south Laois over the last few minutes. Jumped well over 1c with a change in wind direction to the SW from SE.

Advertisement