Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

It looks like freezing rain thats falling over connaught at the moment, just had some very light precip here and the car is covered in ice. Gonna be an interesting morning on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Has anyone driven in Dublin tonight yet? I’m dreading driving to work at half 5 this morning if it’s going to be icy. I’m only a new driver and have never driven with ice on the road before

No hard acceleration.
    No sudden, hard braking.
    If really bad don't use 1st pulling away.
    If starts to slide, steer the OPPOSITE way and prepare to correct it when grip returns.
    Stay 3 times the normal distance from front vehicle.
    Leave 30 mins earlier than you planned.
    If your really nervous and someone is up your arse, pull over safely and let them on.
    Go a bit slower than what you thought was ok.
    Clear all your windows.
    Gentle slow inputs is the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

An organised band of precip in NI now heading towards the snow deprived areas of louth/meath/dublin/kildare. Some models were alluding to this, maybe a consolation dusting for some in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

We've had freezing rain by the looks of it, cars covered in a thick layer of ice. On the road at 5:30, that should be fun.
    School bus services cancelled, school still open though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

4am reports

Casement and Gurteen at -6C

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think that band of precipitation is going to dissipate before reaching Kildare. Looking out the window though it’s no harm, this is a serious frost and I’m not looking forward to leixlip in this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭gazzer

My driveway is like glass. I'm not looking forward to this drive to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Has anyone driven in Dublin tonight yet? I’m dreading driving to work at half 5 this morning if it’s going to be icy. I’m only a new driver and have never driven with ice on the road before

Get an experienced driver to accompany you if you don't feel confident , are you qualified?
    Better still take public transport today if possible if not heed advice of previous poster main points been - keep your speed low , use gears to slow down on downhills slippery surfaces , avoid hard braking , watch your distance and Good Luck B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bit of frost on windscreens in Dublin 15 this morning, not for me I put a cover over mine last night. :-)

Trip into work was uneventful. Roads gritted, traffic moving. Normal day in Dublin.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems to be thawing a bit in mayo, a lot of the snow melted off the car over night. Good bit of ice on the ground though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Casement hit -6 6 in the end and Gurteen -6.3.

Aldergrove's synop temperature is different to the metars. It seems they use two different sensors. The synop one only got as low as -6.9 but the metars showed as low as -9 at 01:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Cleaned all the paths around the house yesterday, and just a moment ago heard snow sliding off the roof. Feck that. czolem.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Frozen door locks? No de-icer?

Try this to get in, dip your key in hot water. Should melt the ice in your lock. Then make sure you keep your engine running from that point on with the heater working full blast, get it as warm as you can stand and make your trip. The moisture will probably evaporate and in any case temperatures by later today will be above freezing.

Trying to get up a long slight incline? Counter-intuitively, use as little force as possible, go with a low gear and once in motion just give it enough gas to keep moving. If there are frozen tyre tracks, try offsetting slightly, the virgin snow will probably be crunchy but better traction than those tracks.

Facing an icy downhill stretch? Unless you have winter tyres, don't go. Seriously, you are very likely to spin out and hit the kerb at an odd angle or do worse damage.

Kitty litter or whatever you call it can be your friend in a stuck parking space.

And, if you're a rookie you may not have stumbled across this well-known trick, to get out of a flat parking spot, ease backwards then go forwards, you'll often find it's easier to get a start with that slight downhill motion.

Oh yes also, if you want to avoid a 10-minute scrape of your windscreen, bring the kettle out, two well-aimed douses should save you time and effort, make sure you're ready to jump in and start your wipers and give lots of spray. Spray nozzles frozen? Aim the kettle at them too. Actually you don't boiling hot water, just hot tap water in any handy container will do.

(from the land of winter)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

I drove from Swords to City Centre this morning at 6.30am and absolutely no issues. Roads well gritted and as was said earlier just like any normal morning commute into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I find lukewarm water in a spray bottle is best for deicing windows, car windows are very tough but very hot water on very cold glass could still cause the glass to shatter. The spray bottle just stops a lot of water splashing over you.

I'm glad my car has front windscreen de-icing elements in it, no such luck with the side windows though.

Regarding icy driving and inclines - I find a mistake a lot of people make is to slow down just before the incline and then their momentum isn't enough and they spend ages fish tailing all over the place. In 2010 I remember a little bridge on Pearse Street at Grand Canal Dock took out a whole pile of silly drivers. I just hung back quite a distance, then when they gave up and turned back, I just drove up at a reasonable speed, didn't brake, and made it over easily first time.

Your greatest danger in icy driving, as with most other days, is other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

4.4c in West Clare, frost gone :)

Can't even get a frost right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A deeply unscientific measure, but our campervan has frost on it this morning, which is extremely rare, the car will frost at the drop of a hat but I've never seen frost on the campers windscreen before.

Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Roscrea - dipped to -4.2 overnight but rose quite quickly again, -1.3 atm

435965.png

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The temperature here was -2.8c at 0820 but has in fact fallen to -3.2c since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

I think John Eagleton is going to be on
    Newstalk with Pat Kenny this morning.
    They may be getting some flak for their forecasts of 4 cms of snow on their television broadcasts when places have got over 6 inches of snow.
    Basically he'll be saying that it's impossible to issue a forecast that covers everyone and even if places got the 6 the met eireann recording stations may not be in these places.

I even see it here I was laughing at their forecasts of 4cms when I had a lot more than that and then 5 miles down the road no lying snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Floki wrote: »
    I think John Eagleton is going to be on
    Newstalk with Pat Kenny this morning.
    They may be getting some flak for their forecasts of 4 cms of snow on their television broadcasts when places have got over 6 inches of snow.
    Basically he'll be saying that it's impossible to issue a forecast that covers everyone and even if places got the 6 the met eireann recording stations may not be in these places.

I even see it here I was laughing at their forecasts of 4cms when I had a lot more than that and then 5 miles down the road no lying snow.

I might be on with Pat around 10, not sure who else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Aughrim Co GalwayIMAG10026_zpsrgotxuph.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A min of -1.6c at my station in Waterford City, Definitely the most ice on roads and foot paths I've seen so far this Winter. Currently it's cloudy with a temp of 1c but wind chill well below that.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Extensive black ice in Adare and Patrickswell areas of Limerick.

I had a few minor skids around bends.

Some people driving as normal will get a nasty and sharp shock.

9am temperature was 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

-0.9c at 1045. I can't remember the last I saw a sub zero as late as this in the morning but it might have been 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

minimum of -2.9 in sq donegal last night but temparature started rising after that low at 20:20 on 10/12 shame it didnt snow it would have been better than the freezing rain this morning. roads were skating rinks. currently at 0.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

m17 wrote: »
    Corofin Co GalwayIMAG10020_zps0tim3ybx.jpg

Let me woofing in! I'm freezing me woofing nuts off out here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

Villain wrote: »
    I might be on with Pat around 10, not sure who else.

I heard the interview. It was a fairly balanced no nonsense interview. Good job.

I got mixed up thinking that the Eagle was going to be on. Pat had a bit of the recording from John on the earlier morning show as a promo for his show with the talk about the weather.

But well done. There can never be enough discussion about the weather.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Just passed Kikdare town on M7 and it’s currently 1° and raining/snowing it heavy enough but very small flakes...

Advertisement