Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Saturday(PM)/Sunday 9th/10th December - SEE MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

1°c still in Cork, so not below freezing just yet. It's definitely due though!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Originally Posted by JanuarySnowstor
    I'm a bit surprised about predicted lows tonight. With quite a strong wind I would think a general 0 to -3 is about right.
    I can't see any lower unless the gale calms down
    Pangea wrote: »
    It was -6 in Antrim an hour ago

As still as a tomb in Westport. -4.3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

Both schools closed in Foxford tommorow .

I was surprised at the amount of snow / slush on the road between Foxford and Charlestown ,
    side roads will be bad in the morning
    update Pumping snow in Foxford again ,,, As i type this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Heavy frost now south kildare down to -3 and it’s bitter out... muppets still driving like normal. It’s all black ice and people can’t see it, a lot of the ice patches look like normal puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

We really got lucky in Dublin missing out on the snow but it's freezing out there now. Went for a walk and couldn't believe how cold it was. Could be pretty dangerous on the roads tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

DellyBelly wrote: »
    We really got lucky in Dublin missing out on the snow but it's freezing out there now. Went for a walk and couldn't believe how cold it was. Could be pretty dangerous on the roads tomorrow

Lucky? I have one day left before I'm off for Christmas. I was banking on not being able to get in tomorrow. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

North Cork/South Limerick border here, no snow but bitterly cold

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

-5C and dropping just north of Newry, no snow last night but plenty still around after thursday nights fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Snow showers approaching the north and west coast now.

I'd like a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

CianRyan wrote: »
    Lucky? I have one day left before I'm off for Christmas. I was banking on not being able to get in tomorrow. :p

Really? Can't understand this mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Really? Can't understand this mentality.

Damn right, I work hard and I'm looking forward to my time off.
    I'll pray to the snow gods for some white gold while I'm off.

Anyway, VERY off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭John mac

Snow showers approaching the north and west coast now.

I'd like a top up.

just a short snippet // :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

CianRyan wrote: »
    Damn right, I work hard and I'm looking forward to my time off.

You're dead right, I'm in the same frame of mind, lucky for me tomorrow is my day off so it can get to -8 if it wants here tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

for all those who requested a snowman....found this on the rte news app lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Quite an organised trough of some sort had developed to the west of Scotland, moving south, followed by lots of showers. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Snowing in Castlebar again! nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Quite an organised trough of some sort has developed to the west of Scotland, moving south, followed by lots of showers. Hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

John mac wrote: »
    Both schools closed in Foxford tommorow .

I was surprised at the amount of snow / slush on the road between Foxford and Charlestown ,
    side roads will be bad in the morning
    update Pumping snow in Foxford again ,,, As i type this ..

I'm not long off that road. Not surprised the schools are closed. Dire enough on the Straide side. Had a couple of lunatics overtake me, doing in and around 50mph and saw one braking before a bend. Clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I take your points, and perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my main argument. The trust of my point was that

a) I like the coloured warning system in principle (very useful to provide guidance to us all in terms of when weather or other phenomena might impact daily activities.
    b) Applying the warnings at a county level does not take local conditions into account. Therefore
    c) A means of applying the warnings to townlands rather than counties needs to be considered.

I get the point that Principals/Boards of Management have decided previously whether local conditions force a school closure. Maybe I picked it up wrong, but an earlier news report was suggesting DoE had said that schools would remain open UNLESS a red warning was issued by M.E.

In any case, without using a warning system, when an individual school decides not to open, how are parents supposed to know in advance of sending their children out onto the roads? That's why we need a system that defines these arrangements more clearly. For example, if either the school or your home is defined as in a "Red Warning Area", then no school.. Otherwise, schools will open as planned. Clearly, DoE could issue an over- riding instruction at any time (even if warnings have not gone Red) if it considers the potential dangers to be high enough.

Regardless, I hope everyone remains safe in the morning.

Definitely picked up wrong, all schools have the power to close for weather or a myriad of issues. Though you are correct the DES can close a whole swathe of school simultaneously as opposed to local arrangements (storm Ophelia).

School closures were traditionally announced on the local radio stations and nowadays generally the word goes out on the School text system and any social media/website presence they have

Edit: to clarify the new bit of the closure is blanket closures under the red warning counties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Snowing in Castlebar again! nice one

Castlebar was like a scene from Night Of The Living Dead earlier. People shuffling forward on the footpaths and a couple of elderly drunks thrown in for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

20171210_190816.jpgAn ice rink in monsland, Athlone on the Roscommon border

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

noah45 wrote: »
    20171210_190816.jpgAn ice rink in monsland, Athlone on the Roscommon border

A man coming home after a few pints will struggle on that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

A couple from the Wicklow Way this afternoon near Roundwood...

IMG_20171210_131826997.jpg

IMG_20171210_132208473.jpg

Nice crunch on the snow now, and what was left on the cars after clearing them well frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭tiegan

-2 in Fethard co Tipp and dropping. Very cold breeze, lots of lying water/slush/snow on secondary roads has turned to black ice. Travelling to work tomorrow will be challenging for everyone!! Stay safe people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

-8c at Belfast Aldergrove at 8:50.

Ouch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

A man coming home after a few pints will struggle on that haha

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like Monday night will be another severely cold night for the UK, -12c for a second consecutive night. Been a long while with minimums as low as that for a consecutive period.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/939959205263478784

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Currently -3 and dropping rapidly here in Meath.Roads seem to be not too bad here they dried up a lot during the day thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty of showers pushing into the north west again and a couple of streamers in the Irish Sea, some models have some fairly widespread showers pushing south overnight so might be an extra top up for many by the morning

Advertisement