Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victoria's Secret

Options

Comments

bnt wrote: »
    I see the Victoria's Secret shop on Dublin's Grafton St. has finally opened. They've only been building it for the last 18 months or so. About 500 people queued up for the opening, and about 10 people protested for some reason.

I hope the staff are prepared to deal with clueless men: they'll go in to pick up something for their girlfriends, and the assistant will ask for her sizes ... "like you, but a bit more up top"? :o

People will protest anything.

Someone in my extended family opened one of the first family planning clinics in Galway, which operated out of the home she shared with her then-husband. Supposedly there was a small group of people outside every morning, saying the rosary.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Or coke cola protests as coke cola is a symbol of American oppression and an icon of the capitalism systme. The Russian film makers use coke cola as a symbol in the film I am Cuba which is an excellent film by the way.

Maybe I'm one of these "new men", or maybe I'm just projecting, but I look at some those frilly contrapions and wonder how they'd survive a typical day. Sweating on a crowded train during rush hour, high speed walking to get to the office in time, being sat on for most of a day, then another hot commute. And that's before any kids are on the scene.

They are not meant for everyday wear. It all an illusion and its a Commodification of our sexual desires. Its how capitalism/consumerism works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Chrongen wrote: »
    Well Victoria's Secret do have their gear produced under slave labour conditions in Bangladesh.

I guess that animal cruelty crowd use a fairly narrow definition of "cruelty free" so.

Men appreciate sexy Lingerie as much as dogs appreciate the colour of bowls their food arrives in .

Can't agree there.

Sexy/classy lingerie can add a lot of 'fun' to sex, rather than simply shagging and going to sleep.

I probably should admit that I've been buying from VS for my gf's for well over a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

mariaalice wrote: »
    So basically the protesters are the modern version of those who use to protest about McDonalds as a symbol of globalisation. I suppose Protesting outside McDonalds is too pedestrian and not sexy enough anymore. Then there was the Nestlé's and the baby milk protesters what every happened to them.

Yeah?

Great. Good for you.
    Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

People will protest anything.

Someone in my extended family opened one of the first family planning clinics in Galway, which operated out of the home she shared with her then-husband. Supposedly there was a small group of people outside every morning, saying the rosary.

In case the condoms turned into demons? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Men appreciate sexy Lingerie as much as dogs appreciate the colour of bowls their food arrives in .

Maybe you're wearing the wrong lingerie?

Chrongen wrote: »
    Yeah?

Great. Good for you.
    Or something.

I am not saying there should not be protest, however they then to simplify very complex issues and give the illusion that there are simple answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Just had a look at the website thinking I'd be amazed and make a few purchases. Jaysus their stuff is shockingly overpriced and the quality doesn't look up to much tbh. Think I'll stick to shopping at my usual place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Can't agree there.

Sexy/classy lingerie can add a lot of 'fun' to sex, rather than simply shagging and going to sleep.

I probably should admit that I've been buying from VC for my gf's for well over a decade.

VC? Victoria's C....... what? Is that the REALLY naughty version? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Just had a look at the website thinking I'd be amazed and make a few purchases. Jaysus their stuff is shockingly overpriced and the quality doesn't look up to much tbh.

Psssst... that's the secret

seenitall wrote: »
    VC? Victoria's C....... what? Is that the REALLY naughty version? :D

oops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

mariaalice wrote: »
    They are not meant for everyday wear. It all an illusion and its a Commodification of our sexual desires. Its how capitalism/consumerism works.

I don't want my sexual desires commodified, I want them alleviated.

Any woman who looks sexy in lingerie, looks sexier out of it.

It's not like sticking stockings and suspenders on Mary Harney will transform her into Taylor Swift.

Besides, I once went out with a Victoria - turns out her secret was she was married. So there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

It's not like sticking stockings and suspenders on Mary Harney

Your brain will never recover after it created that image

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's not like sticking stockings and suspenders on Mary Harney will transform her into Taylor Swift.

*reaches for the brain bleach*

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Poor quality and they try to jam everyone into a 32A-38DD size even when they fall well outside of that range. Zero interest here and I'll stick to Bravissimo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I don't want my sexual desires commodified, I want them alleviated.

Any woman who looks sexy in lingerie, looks sexier out of it.

Besides, I once went out with a Victoria - turns out her secret was she was married. So there!

The problem with lingerie is that the better it looks the less time you want her to be wearing it!!

So on that topic i never see the point in herself spending a huge amount of money on it but she enjoys buying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What do these bras and knickers do that the Dunnes and Penneys ones don't do?

Branding and hype.

Even though we are just 2 decades in, I feel this century is the century of hype. Style over substance at all times.

Get some pretty girls photographed in the newspapers with them on, and then claim that somehow makes them special.

topper75 wrote: »
    What do these bras and knickers do that the Dunnes and Penneys ones don't do?

Branding and hype.

You're right. It is branding and hype.

However, for some women, they enjoy getting something that is branded, popular and more expensive than the norm.

This is not about getting lingerie that they wear every day performing normal activities... It's about having something 'special' or something that makes them 'feel' different.

For myself (I'm male) and most of my ex's, lingerie added a great sense of erotica to the overall sexual experience. Sure, they could (and did) use normal underwear, but there were times when the more expensive branded items/combinations were fantastic additions.

And honestly, I don't remember seeing much variety in Dunnes and Penneys. Your options are limited to a series of bra's and a few boring nightdress types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

"Empowering"

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I have no problem with lingerie. I think a woman can look great in it, out of it, or fully dressed. I kinda wish there was a male equivalent because I'm pretty certain if I tried to wear sexy underwear for a woman I'd be a laughing stock. :)

As for victoria's secret, I have a friend in the US who worked in one of their store. Apparently they are horrible employers.

Since we now have the internet there's a huge range of lingerie stores online so if you don't agree with them you can just go online and find something else. And probably something more likely to be to a particular woman's taste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I think I must be the only bloke in the world who just doesn't get the appeal of lingerie. Knickers are pretty much just knickers to me, I don't in any way get turned on by them.
    It's like getting a Christmas pressie (Christmas box:D) and being more impressed by the wrapping paper. Lingerie just get's in the way of what I'm interested in, my only interest in it is getting it off!

I never got it either, never did it for me. Sure it's nice to look at VS Models strutting around but a) women don't look like that in real life and b) I couldn't care less what a woman is wearing if we're about to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm also male. Does nothing for me. Never did. Outside of a few fetishists, I don't think many of my gender meditate much on it.

The dog bowl analogy was crude, but deadly accurate in reflecting the relative importance.

That is no good to marketeers though. Productization is key. Tap into the deep-seated need to feel desirable, and monetize.
    All fair under free market rules. Savvy ladies and their purses know better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There's a war crimes tribunal in the Hague waitin for you after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

From my (extremely limited) experience with women they seem to be the ones that get more out of wearing this stuff than men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

From my (extremely limited) experience with women they seem to be the ones that get more out of wearing this stuff than men

I don't understand. Why would a woman do something that wasn't for a man's benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Yeah most men just stick to wearing boxers to be fair. They look silly in bras :D

I see the Victoria's Secret shop on Dublin's Grafton St. has finally opened. They've only been building it for the last 18 months or so. About 500 people queued up for the opening, and about 10 people protested for some reason.

I hope the staff are prepared to deal with clueless men: they'll go in to pick up something for their girlfriends, and the assistant will ask for her sizes ... "like you, but a bit more up top"? :o
    Odhinn wrote: »
    haven't a clue, just heard it was animal rights.

It says so in the article linked in the OP, too.

Victoria's Secret products are tested on animals? I have an image of a rabbit in a cage wearing a camisole ... :cool:

Hah! I imagine it's the cosmetics they sell that's in the frame for the animal rights issues. :)

VS is okay, but I don't get the hype. Lots and lots of scratchy synthetics and silly sizing for a lot of things. They do sell some lovely stuff as well, there's just less of it than there is the cheapy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I think I must be the only bloke in the world who just doesn't get the appeal of lingerie. Knickers are pretty much just knickers to me, I don't in any way get turned on by them.
    It's like getting a Christmas pressie (Christmas box:D) and being more impressed by the wrapping paper. Lingerie just get's in the way of what I'm interested in, my only interest in it is getting it off!

My missus is German and very practical and doesn't see the purpose of my sexy lingerie and babydoll negligee, she sees it the same way you do, something unnecessary to be taken off to get to the goodies :D

Advertisement