Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciara O Doherty <3's AliExpress

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I just saw riskeye.

Was reading it as you replied, and Andrea Roche agency for models and influencers.

What i do not get is that if it is factual, surely there is nothing that they can legally do?
    For example if Ciara O'Doherty was selling cheap items that she purchased on Aliexpress, claiming to be her own, and somebody pointed it out - what sort of legal action could be taken?
    Unless Aliexpress were selling counterfeit Ciara O'Doherty items.
    I was under the belief that consumer laws are there to protect us from false claims like that and low quality products being sold at silly prices.
    I would not have believed that it mattered at all whether or not you were a blogger who has worked for 5 years getting your name out there.
    I am sure there must be some sort of boundary crossed if negative reviews can be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Suckit wrote: »
    I just saw riskeye.

Was reading it as you replied, and Andrea Roche agency for models and influencers.

What i do not get is that if it is factual, surely there is nothing that they can legally do?
    For example if Ciara O'Doherty was selling cheap items that she purchased on Aliexpress, claiming to be her own, and somebody pointed it out - what sort of legal action could be taken?
    I was under the belief that consumer laws are there to protect us from false claims like that and low quality products being sold at silly prices.
    I would not have believed that it mattered at all whether or not you were a blogger who has worked for 5 years getting your name out there.
    I am sure there must be some sort of boundary crossed if negative reviews can be removed?

Yeah I know, like I said in previous posts yesterday, I was listening to a segment on Newstalk radio on Thursday just gone and they had Dermott Jewell from the Consumers’ Assosiation of Ireland and he basically stated that in general terms, that companies need to show where the products originate and basically items have to be as described under the Sales of Goods ans Services Act, and that it’s potentially illegal if they don’t comply.

He said that there are regulations in place and that there needs to be stricter regulations in place for the excessive mark ups and for place of origin etc and that people could contact the CCPC.

The Instagram was made get rid of all the posts so I Dunno if anyone has the proof that was up there so they could contact the CCPC about it, but I think it would be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

I just saw riskeye.

Suckit do you not know that you can't speak poorly of this bloggers or call them out on their dodgy dealings :rolleyes::rolleyes: if you do you are a jealous hater ;)

All the points we discussed on our ali express thread or bloggers releasing product thread were the truth.

Buyers with the same name Jennifer W**** from Ireland bought the same earrings Jennifer Wrynne was selling, same as Ciara O'D******* from Ireland selling the same crowns Ciara O'Doherty was selling. It's not rocket science. Both ladies only added disclaimers to their pages saying they didn't design or make the products after they were outed on here.

wendydoll wrote: »
    Suckit do you not know that you can't speak poorly of this bloggers or call them out on their dodgy dealings :rolleyes::rolleyes: if you do you are a jealous hater ;)

I am learning :pac::D

I think it is nuts that companies like Riskeye even exist for bloggers. I get the reason that they claim that they were created is to stop unwarranted negatvity, but the reality is they are just threatening legit reviews of chancers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

wendydoll wrote: »

All the points we discussed on our ali express thread or bloggers releasing product thread were the truth.

I think it's perfectly ok to point out same product is on sale on Ali Express and the items were not designed by whoever designed them. I would assume pointing out for what price can products be purchased on Ali Express is ok. But anything else can quickly stray into defamation territory and fines for lawsuits in Ireland for defamation are expensive. And court cost is even more prohibitive. If you have tens of thousands of euro to burn (just for legal representation) you can risk it but in general it is just easier limit the exposure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

He said that there are regulations in place and that there needs to be stricter regulations in place for the excessive mark ups and for place of origin etc and that people could contact the CCPC.

I think I listened to the same programme and as far as I remember they were focusing on false declaration of origin. Mark ups can be as high as they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lougarden

For white labeling most of them would use Alibaba.com (Ali Express is under the umbrella of this). It's larger quantity so they run a production of your required item on their line for a min order. It gets cheaper as you order more above the min qty. They will then on the production line also do your labelling based on logo/requirements. This is why we see so many generic items that look the same but are packaged differently. They cost a fraction of the resale value and the bloggers use their names as the USP.

Edit: For smaller fry like COD, express would have been used (her orders are visible on the site). Low risk and high return (low qty and huge markup) but not committing to confidence in her market via volume and reasonable prices because she doesn't have footfall like most of the others on goss.ie list that we should all conform too :) it's all so contrived!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

I can understand why some people might come upon this thread and not get the full picture about what we have been discussing since our previous thread was so heavily edited by mods after COD sent her cease and desist letters and we haven’t gone into the ins and outs of it on this thread since more regular posters are well aware of what went on.

It’s a pity that the mods can’t reinstate our posts in their original form now that the articles have been published with further evidence to support what we brought to light

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭toodleytoo

I can understand why some people might come upon this thread and not get the full picture about what we have been discussing since our previous thread was so heavily edited by mods after COD sent her cease and desist letters and we haven’t gone into the ins and outs of it on this thread since more regular posters are well aware of what went on.

It’s a pity that the mods can’t reinstate our posts in their original form now that the articles have been published with further evidence to support what we brought to light

Yes, I agree. It would be great if the original posts could be reinstated. Considering how Evoke and Her.ie have published articles surely it's ok now?

Lougarden wrote: »
    For white labeling most of them would use Alibaba.com
    For smaller fry like COD, express would have been used (her orders are visible on the site).

This is maybe how they were caught?
    If i was selling online and especially if had (relied) on my online persona to sell it, i would not touch Alibaba nor Aliexpress.
    TBH i would probably use Yupoo :D:p

But seriously, why buy from Aliexpress/Alibaba when you can use EI to get almost anything for a fraction of the price legitimately?

This may be a (another) silly question, but if they are clued in enough to use instagram/twitter/facebook and whatever else they use to get thousands of followers and recognition in the national media, how are they falling at hurdles like aliexpress when it is easier and cheaper to go down the proper route?
    I would not have the gumption to do what they do (paste myself allover social media), but i would think if i did, i would be fairly careful about how i acted/what could be tracked when i did.
    It seems a bit daft to me, and maybe i am not coming across as i mean to. But while i admire them on one hand for doing so well, i am stumped as to how they scuppered themselves with something so simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

This is maybe how they were caught?
    If i was selling online and especially if had (relied) on my online persona to sell it, i would not touch Alibaba nor Aliexpress.
    TBH i would probably use Yupoo :D:p

But seriously, why buy from Aliexpress/Alibaba when you can use EI to get almost anything for a fraction of the price legitimately?

This may be a (another) silly question, but if they are clued in enough to use instagram/twitter/facebook and whatever else they use to get thousands of followers and recognition in the national media, how are they falling at hurdles like aliexpress when it is easier and cheaper to go down the proper route?
    I would not have the gumption to do what they do (paste myself allover social media), but i would think if i did, i would be fairly careful about how i acted/what could be tracked when i did.
    It seems a bit daft to me, and maybe i am not coming across as i mean to. But while i admire them on one hand for doing so well, i am stumped as to how they scuppered themselves with something so simple.

That’s the ironic thing most of COD’s content on her blog and YouTube channel was finding “designer dupes”. So she was telling her followers what Chinese websites they could buy their Chloe knock offs etc for €30. So her whole thing was getting that luxury look for a fraction of the price. But then she obviously got greedy and decided to buy cheap aliexpress items and pass them off as luxury with a luxury price tag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Came across this from the main page. She has a bit of Del Boy about her, reminds me of Peckham Springs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Lindy97

Its a combination of laziness and arrogance. There are some that will buy whatever these bloggers and influencers are selling regardless of cost and content.

Advertisement