Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ciara O Doherty <3's AliExpress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SpillingTheTea

Seeing as though there is solid proof and it being out in the public domain, we should be able to continue to speak on this now. Riskeye can’t get involved :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’m so glad this didn’t go unnoticed when it was originally reported. Obviously the Mail on Sunday wanted to do their own research and would have had to wait for the orders to come from Ali Express.

It’s simply an abuse of power. Build up a following, act like you’re trustworthy and doing your job for the interest of others, then roll out the greed.
    It’s exactly the same as putting money in a bucket to help a charity before finding out that the charity’s executives are on five times your salary.

Neither scenario is illegal, but it’s not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Have to admire her big balls for trying this sh1t

Some cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Yvie74

So many at this malarkey. Betty & Biddy, Glitz N Pieces to name a few. Granted, they're not hiking up the prices as much as Lá Wynne and Lá O'Doherty, but still people should be aware. I wonder when will Rosie Connolly's "Aluxe" sunglasses be exposed as AliExpress's finest also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Meh, I see nothing wrong.

They should hike the prices higher if numpty's are buying.

Apple do the same thing, can't talk sense to people who buy that massively verpriced stuff.

• Advertisement

Kuva wrote: »

Apple do the same thing, can't talk sense to people who buy that massively verpriced stuff.

The difference is, Apple create their own products so they can actually dictate the RRP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Gal2glam

Are iPhones readily available from another source besides Apple? No. So it’s a completely different situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

Apple spend huge amounts of money on R&D, in 2015 it was reported they had 800 employees dedicated solely to improving the iPhone camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

You're dead right. She should be charging thousands. Millions even.

Maybe then Ciara could hit the trillion dollar mark before apple? One hair clip at a time

Actually also in regard to Apple having expensive phones, you actually know that you’re buying the iPhone from Apple. You know they designed & created the product and not some other place where you can buy it cheaper and that they are just buying x amount of stock and selling it at a higher price.

I don’t think the problem is spending money. It’s the lies about designing the products, and claiming as your own then selling it at 900% mark up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

The Apple post is irrelevant, I’m glad it was picked up on! She’ll weasel her way out of it but she may as well stop ordering the stuff from AliExpress! Can’t imagine many sales in the future for taylor and rose!

Sure she has designer bag dupe videos on her YT and where to buy them. She uses another Asian website for them.

She literally outed herself

Sure she has designer bag dupe videos on her YT and where to buy them. She uses another Asian website for them.

You swear she’s the only person in Ireland with internet access and the ability to find stuff on Chinese websites!

wendydoll wrote: »

You swear she’s the only person in Ireland with internet access and the ability to find stuff on Chinese websites!

Yeah I know, but isn’t it funny how she’s directing her subscribers to these websites to buy.
    Now acting like Asian websites are so beneath her *eyeroll*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Its a bit dodgy but nothing wrong with it. Sure you can buy near everything for pennies on Aliexpress, so are most retailers guilty of huge mark ups too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭99 Bortles of Beer

I'm disappointed that the article didn't mention anything about some of those AliExpress sellers having feedback left from a buyer with the initials C***** O D****** and an Irish flag beside their name. Coincidence, I'm sure.

Also, it’s not illegal, just unethical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭idunno78

Is false advertising not illegal? Didn’t she say she designed them herself! Unless she is Chinese and lives in China that’s lie!

There are a few things that irk me about this whole malarkey..

1. Ciara left an "inaccurate" article go unedited for months before she was outed for her shoddy practices and then blamed the article for misinforming everyone of their design. She got threat happy too and starting waffling on about defamation or something or other. You defamed yourself ya goon.

2. She denies conveniently lowering the prices of the pieces when she was shamed for the prices, charging €100 for things she was buying for under €10.

3. In the article I provided in the op- Ciara says "the item purchased by The Mail on Sunday is not the same item sourced by T&R"..
    She has never once come out and said just where she is sourcing the products from, and if not AliExpress or another Chinese source- then where?

4. She should source some cheap gold medals for herself because I'll give her the gold in the victim olympics for this line- " an anonymous malicious online campaign designed to bring Ms O Doherty's reputation into disrepute"... Someone tell me how on earth she can say that with a straight face? She brought herself into disrepute buying cheap tat from China and passing it off as her own design and charging a fortune.

5. You can view purchase history on AliExpress and C.O.D Ireland was a buyer for a large chunk or earrings which she then was selling under the T&R branding. What a coinkydink.

But yea. I guess we are all just anonymous nasty bullies who should have just left poor Ciara and her Chinese earrings alone. I feel bad you guys. I feel real, real bad.

giphy.gif

Lol and as it’s said on Reddit, Ciara said that ‘the item that was purchased by the Mail on Sunday is not the same from T&R’, except, like a fool, she forgot that she sends a thank you note with her products and they have a picture of it *eyeroll*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Lol and as it’s said on Reddit, Ciara said that ‘the item that was purchased by the Mail on Sunday is not the same from T&R’, except, like a fool, she forgot that she sends a thank you note with her products and they have a picture of it *eyeroll*

A picture of what?

GingerLily wrote: »

A picture of what?

In the Evoke and Mail on Sunday article, they purchased a headpiece from aliexpress identical to the T&R one and one from T&R as well. (As well as a bag from Jennifer Wrynne and the identical one from Aliexpress).

But on the her.ie article, Ciara said that the item that was purchased by the journalist who wrote the article was not the same as T&R, except she forgot that she sends a personalised written thank you note which the purchase... and they show it in the article too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

In the Evoke and Mail on Sunday article, they purchased a headpiece from aliexpress identical to the T&R one and one from T&R as well. (As well as a bag from Jennifer Wrynne and the identical one from Aliexpress).

But on the her.ie article, Ciara said that the item that was purchased by the journalist who wrote the article was not the same as T&R, except she forgot that she sends a personalised written thank you note which the purchase... and they show it in the article too.

I think she's saying the Ali express item isn't the same as the t&r.

I think she's saying the Ali express item isn't the same as the t&r.

There is also a side by side picture of the two items and they are identical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Oh yeah I 100% agree I just mean I don't think she's trying to say the t&r item in the article isn't hers! No doubt in a vain attempt at deflection from the real issue. Her leaves in the crown are at a 43 degree angle and the Ali express ones are clearly at a 46 degree angle... or something equally pitiful.

Oh yeah I 100% agree I just mean I don't think she's trying to say the t&r item in the article isn't hers! No doubt in a vain attempt at deflection from the real issue. Her leaves in the crown are at a 43 degree angle and the Ali express ones are clearly at a 46 degree angle... or something equally pitiful.

Lol yeah, I know was just pointing out how she can’t hide from the fact that what she’s saying still makes no sense no matter what way she spins it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭gossipgirl10

If it's not the same item as the Taylor and Rose one then she should have no bother coming on Instagram stories or snapchat to show her followers the differences 🙄 Eh ya right...

Also the fact that we have the actual links to the listings of lots of the products she stocks that have her initials and the Irish flag in the order history. A complete coincidence...

The article should have given some credit to the boards thread and the Instagram account instead of claiming it was their investigation. It was good that they ordered the products as further proof they were the same but they would never have had the story in the first place if we hadn't discussed it here.

Some comments on the Evoke Facebook page defending them then and saying things like we shouldn't be knocking Irish businesses do they not realise that people like COD are taking business away from genuine Irish designers and businesses by importing cheap tat from China and making out that they are luxury products

Should we send the writers of the article a C&D for ripping us off?? :pac:

The fact that people are defending her as an Irish business is quite hilarious.

anna080 wrote: »
    Should we send the writers of the article a C&D for ripping us off?? :pac:

The fact that people are defending her as an Irish business is quite hilarious.

Why don't we let the article be out in the public domain for a few months and then contact them to get them to change the wording of it months later I'm sure we can get our legal teams to arrange that I've seen it done before

• Advertisement

Some of the comments defending them baffled me. As you say, they are literally taking business away from actual Irish handmade jewellery and accessory companies.
    ‘That’s how business works’... no ethics is a huge part of how business works and clearly they are being wildly unethical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

linky broke

http://www.shemazing.net/ciara-odoherty-just-launched-her-own-accessories-brand-taylor-rose/

She forgot to get them to change this article! Said she wanted to bring it to life herself because she could find nothing on line suitable!

Bahahahahaha

Her launch video says the exact same!

Most of her stock that was outed on the instagram is now gone from her store. Hmm

• Advertisement

ULOJfah.jpg

She’ll get this retracted tomorrow hahaha

Come on Cizzy do your worst!

giphy.gif

Come on Cizzy do your worst!

giphy.gif

Pmsl :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Kind of a random one, but I never knew Aliexpress stocked such nice hair accessories (!) :p

I was doing some “research” to check which items may have beared a slight similarity to T&R (read: identical) and I went completely down the online shopping rabbit hole. Added a load of stuff to my cart... prices are very reasonable too :pac:

• Advertisement

I know! It's great. Some pieces are lovely. All you need to do now is buy a rake of them and sell them for times the price under a makey uppy name and you're sorted. \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I know! It's great. Some pieces are lovely. All you need to do now is buy a rake of them and sell them for times the price under a makey uppy name and you're sorted. \o/

:pac: :D :P

Hasn't she been working on some TV program with TG4 where she goes around and meets with Irish designers? The irony of it all....

As a stylist and someone with regular slots on TV she could have used her platform to promote Irish design to her followers but instead she finds cheap Chinese dupes of handbags and lets her followers know where to buy them at a knock down price but then finds some accessories from China and tries to charge her followers extortionate prices for them. As SpillingTheTea said before she outed herself really by playing both sides of the aliexpress game...

Even her website and video where she said she searched high and low but couldn't find anything suitable is really knocking Irish design and it's disappointing that other people like Bairbre Power etc were so quick to jump on the Taylor and Rose bandwagon and give her air time and features in magazines without first doing their homework on whether or not this was genuinely an Irish brand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

A fellow boardsie (I’m not the sleuth) found this. I’ll copy and paste because I don’t know what a cache is....

anyway my point is i found what i think is an explanation that she wrote and never actually posted
    its not on her site you can only see it through the cache

Being the internet sleuth that I am, I came across an explanation on her site that was either never published or has since been deleted. Luckily, you can still find it if you look hard enough ;)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://ciaraodoherty.com/220917-2/&ved=0ahUKEwjDgM_Ej_7XAhWJPhQKHcI9Ax4QFggyMAI&usg=AOvVaw1o71sAm-qehqv35CJQGakk/

Thoughts? It's quite a novel, but I don't agree with her points. Has anyone seen her mention this anywhere or have I found a draft post? It doesn't even have a title and the date is from back in September.

A fellow boardsie (I’m not the sleuth) found this. I’ll copy and paste because I don’t know what a cache is....

anyway my point is i found what i think is an explanation that she wrote and never actually posted
    its not on her site you can only see it through the cache

Being the internet sleuth that I am, I came across an explanation on her site that was either never published or has since been deleted. Luckily, you can still find it if you look hard enough ;)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://ciaraodoherty.com/220917-2/&ved=0ahUKEwjDgM_Ej_7XAhWJPhQKHcI9Ax4QFggyMAI&usg=AOvVaw1o71sAm-qehqv35CJQGakk/

Thoughts? It's quite a novel, but I don't agree with her points. Has anyone seen her mention this anywhere or have I found a draft post? It doesn't even have a title and the date is from back in September.

Very interesting definitely didn't see that posted or shared anywhere at the time I'd say she was going to publish and then was advised not to.

I still don't believe that she made sure people knew this was a brand sourced from suppliers worldwide at her launch etc I don't think it's a coincidence that so many bloggers and journalists all came away taking up the wrong end of the stick? And of course she would have been closely monitoring all press after her launch to see what people were saying about Taylor and Rose so why didn't she ask them to correct the articles at that point... because it was in her interest to let people believe this was a collection she designed and not bought from aliexpress.

Anyway regardless of what happens hopefully this will open some people's eye to understand what they are buying before they do and not just rush in because an influencer is selling it.

Also all her points about the additional costs involved in running a business, maybe she should have had that in mind when she wanted a special headpiece and couldn't find anything suitable to wear at a certain price point - actual designers have all the same business costs as you do (and more considering they buy their raw materials) and they also need to dedicate many hours actually making each item too so instead of looking for a cheap alternative why not use your profile to promote Irish designers and give your followers an appreciation for the work involved.

Imagine buying a crown for your wedding and wanting to have it after as a keepsake and it tarnishes and looks terrible not long after... people need to move away from all this fast fashion mass produced stuff and appreciate the quality of handmade designs they will last for years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭fima

That’s very interesting , I wonder why she never published it ? I think she damaged her brand further with her silence and cease and desist letters.

fima wrote: »
    That’s very interesting , I wonder why she never published it ? I think she damaged her brand further with her silence and cease and desist letters.

Yep agree totally if she came out at the time and tried to explain herself it would have all blown over by now but the fact she said nothing just fueled the fire and made it seem even worse when it came out

That would have been around the time the insta scammer page was very active. She never published it. It would have been spotted. She's as deceitful. She did change the prices, her website was down at one stage when it all came out and the prices were down when it went live again, Lie number 1. Importation tax, you can see how much she ordered on ali express, she ordered 2/3 piece from the sellers so no import tax there (ali express say the packages are below €30 so no taxes are charged, I know because I ordered plenty over that amount and not once paid tax or duties)| Lie number 2. She has staffing costs but then goes on to say she does it all on her own, so there's no staffing costs but her own income and the once charges like use of models.

And finally why did she wait until the article was removed so she could threaten cease and desist ordered. Ciara love, you were caught out ripping people off, face the music. People would respect you more if you just came out with the truth

I don’t think it’s the €5-€18 difference people care about that’s a reasonable price markup! its the €5-€150 makeup people got so mad about! the making out she designed it herself! Because she did make it out that way!!! Thats was got people angry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I have personally taken the screenshots of prices from her website which have time stamps, so she's not being truthful

• Advertisement
Advertisement