Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I thought we were friends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ballstein wrote: »
    So folks, is this all just posturing on behalf of the UK establishment for the benefit of the pesky Europeans or is it a return to the same old same old of the past 700 years (bar the two weeks we were friends last Easter)?

I happened to get a bit tipsy with an English friend of mine a while back who said that The British really enjoyed having the Irish to boss around and that they really won'the be happy until Ireland is in British hands again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Wasn't there a Twitter furore over some programme about the Queen during the famine and the public had no idea, absolutely no clue whatsoever, about the decisions made during the famine to leave the Irish starve?

Then again, with the Internet, it really isn't difficult to find out details about practically anything but still the Kardashians trump just about anything else:rolleyes:

Yeah, I seem to remember something about that.

Their knowledge of the Famine is practically zero.

I guess the English History curriculum just doesn't have the space to study Ireland all that much. They have a complex history themselves, so it's natural there would be a primary focus on their own story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Pity about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What I do find infathomable is the dup are being offered a get out and best of both worlds

Whatever benefits brexit might offer and access to the eu and are cutting off their nose to spite their face?

I have never actually meet someone who supports brexit from England (meet a few from north)...but I've met any amount of english who have left England over brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Probably not the safest bet, but I'd love to see the Irish Gov/EU push them to the very limits over this border issue. Boris and co created this mess for their own very narrow set of agendas and now they want to run roughshod over everyone and are willing to back down on most of their promises to the British voter in order to deliver Brexit at all costs. Make them pay heavily for their arrogance.

I'm sure the DUP won't give up their bit of power over the Tories or the money that was promised them, so lets see how far their stupidity goes. Worse case scenario, they do actually pull the plug, topple the government and Corbyn is PM in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Ballstein

The language from the EU tonight was unequivocal, either come up with an agreement thats acceptable to Ireland or you’ve no agreement with anyone. It’s a veto and it’s put us in a position of strength against Britain unsurpassed in our history.

Brexit is a clusterfúck, hardcore Brexiteers are deluded jingoists, the S*n is an evil shít-stirring fake news rag whose "journalists" deserve to be pelted with rotten fruit on a daily basis for working for it, and the DUP is the rancid pus that seeps from the malignant tumour that is the British political establishment.

However, I don't believe any of those people to be representative of the majority of the UK. I imagine there's quite a lot of Leave voters who are are dismayed with how things are panning out and potentially regretting their decision. I lived in England for a year and in general the people were very friendly and polite. There is certainly quite a bit ignorance about Ireland ("are you from Southern Ireland?", "do you use Euros?", "is the Queen not your head of state"?) but I can't say I ever heard anything that verged on hatred towards us.

The Irish government and the EU need to stand firm against anything that changes the border situation but there should be no hatred generated towards decent British people, especially since several of them are on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Ballstein wrote: »
    I agree and it’s not just history. That’s why they’re now amazed that we are actually disagreeing with them and a half Indian-half Paddy has the temerity to tell them they made a ****e of things.
    It’s also coincidental that this much vaunted education system seems to consistently ignore parts of their past in which they were responsible for less than glorious actions. The famine, Sykes/Pichot, Indian partition, inventing concentration camps in Africa etc etc. these things all get glossed over it completely left out of history yet two men stumbling into each other by accident in a jungle is lauded.
    The famine, Sykes/Picot, the South African camps, partition - I managed to read about all of these nearly five decades ago - hardly "completely left out of history".
    "Inventing concentration camps". I suggest you study a bit of history yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Feel sorry for the younger generation of British people over there, I know a few of them and are all good decent people, none of them want brexit but the thing of it is, I know for a fact not one of them bothers to vote. "whats the point" all that noise you used to hear off them, well there you go lads, there's the point. I hear that $hit a good bit now but now from my friends the same generation here in Ireland. Big mistake, it is the only power you have, you have to use it no matter how much the result is never in your favour.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I happened to get a bit tipsy with an English friend of mine a while back who said that The British really enjoyed having the Irish to boss around and that they really won'the be happy until Ireland is in British hands again.

Says more about your choice of friends than the British. I'd hazard a guess that I'm far older than you and have far more experience of the British and have never heard such utter tripe.

Leo and other Irish politicians have been quick to take cheap shots at the Brexit vote - in much the same way as people did over Trump's election - but at least the British government aren't going to keep on having referenda until the correct result for their European overlords is achieved. Given the attitiude of the Irish media and political establishment it's hardly any wonder that that their media have been venting anti-Irish sentiments, but it probably doesn't reflect the views of your average Briton who nevers gives Ireland a second thought from one end of the year to the next..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Del.Monte wrote: »
    at least the British government aren't going to keep on having referenda until the correct result for their European overlords is achieved.

if the first referendum was rejected and a different deal was given, and the constitution required that another referendum should take place within such circumstances, then they would have no choice but to have a second referendum.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

if the first referendum was rejected and a different deal was given, and the constitution required that another referendum should take place within such circumstances, then they would have no choice but to have a second referendum.

Is that what happened here - I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

This is politics OP

Are you a Sinn Fein voter by any chance
    That's the vibe I get from your thread

This is the biggest event that any of the UK politicians involved in it will ever be a part of.
    They look not to be up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is that what happened here - I think not.

we got concessions after the people voted no to lisbon the first time, so it was effectively a new treaty. had we not been able to vote on it again it would have been against democracy.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

but at least the British government aren't going to keep on having referenda until the correct result for their European overlords is achieved.

If it had been a Yes to Remain do you think the Brexiteers would have accepted that? Not a chance. They would have campaigned for more referendums until Nigel got his way.

They never accepted the result of the 1975 referendum when the UK voted to remain in the EEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Whatever about Brexit, your post is, to put it mildly, a bit OTT.

English people do not look upon Ireland as a "wet and boggy backwater" quite the opposite in fact. They rightly view it as a beautiful country.

I can only speak for the people in the Noth West, but they were some of the most decent, kindest people I've ever met. As long as you were decent and did your shift of work well, you were fine.

English peoples knowledge of Ireland is slim to none. It's simply not a part of their curriculum, they have come up through an entirely different, arguably better, education system to ours.

Also, roughly half of the population didn't and don't want to leave the EU, so your post is quite general and misleading.

My experience is slightly different. I found some of the upper classes very snide about Ireland, and they do view it as inferior in every way. I had an argument with one idiot who thinks of Ireland as barren and windswept. She insisted the soil is practically sterile. She 'kindly' conceded that the Irish may celebrate/acknowledge the 100 year anniversary of the Rising, last year, but decreed that it was not on to mark the occasion on other years. Divorced from reality, like many snobs. She was pro-Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Her Majesty's Government requires solutions to this puzzle urgently.

DP5BJu_W4AAQhEl.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My experience is slightly different. I found some of the upper classes very snide about Ireland, and they do view it as inferior in every way. I had an argument with one idiot who thinks of Ireland as barren and windswept. She insisted the soil is practically sterile. She 'kindly' conceded that the Irish may celebrate/acknowledge the 100 year anniversary of the Rising, last year, but decreed that it was not on to mark the occasion on other years. Divorced from reality, like many snobs. She was pro-Brexit.

The UK upper class are snide about everyone, not just the Irish, anyone who isn't also upper class in fact. Inbred, entitled w@nkers.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The UK upper class are snide about everyone, not just the Irish, anyone who isn't also upper class in fact. Inbred, entitled w@nkers.

Agreed, they tend to look down on their own people.

Then again, the elite in this country tend to do the same.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

We used to be friends a long time ago but, to be honest I haven't thought of you lately at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

buckwheat wrote: »
    I'm not your buddy, pal :cool:

Your only allowed bring 200 smokes back from Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

We used to be friends a long time ago but, to be honest I haven't thought of you lately at all.

"Gone, gone - and never called me mother".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I think France will provide them with more difficulties than we will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I can't that class comes into your example - more a case of an ill educated gob****e and there's plenty of those at all levels of British and Irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Spare a thought for the second generation Irish, coming here to visit their folks and being called,..ugh, Eng-lish, it must be like a cheese grater on their ears, it would irritate the f**k out of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 375 ✭✭Tylerdurex

Patww79 wrote: »
    Nothing has changed for me anyway. I still don't really like them.

I bet you thought you'd get a load of thanks for that comment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Patww79 wrote: »
    I just don't really like them.

So you like us a bit? Just not REALLY like us?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Advertisement