Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-worker is a dirtbag

Options
  • 30-11-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I work in a pretty small office - there's 5 of us in a 5 metre by 5 metre room. We have a small fridge in the room to keep water / lunch etc in to save us having to go up and down to the kitchen throughout the day.

My co-worker, who is obviously some sort of maniac, steams a huge batch of cauliflower on a Sunday night and then bags it up and brings it in with him on a Monday and leaves it in the fridge to eat throughout the week.

Now the smell on a Monday is pretty bad as it is but by the time it gets to Thursday or Friday it smells like an old wet football boot that's been stuck in a pig's a$$ for a few months. He opens the bag about four or five times a day and eats the cold cauliflower in front of us like this is somehow fuc.king normal.

There are some weeks he will change it up and swap his cauliflower for brussels sprouts.....this is not any more pleasant.

Does anyone in your office do anything ridiculous like this, how do you cope? I don't want to throw his food out, we all know what happened to Ross when someone ate Monica's Moist Maker.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lonewolf1961

Pee in the bag he want bring anymore food into the office :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Out of interest, how did you get the opportunity to smell an old wet football boot that's been stuck in a pig's a$$ for a few months for your comparison?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Story was almost believable until you brought the sprouts into it. Go on outta that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

We have a rule in work; no stanking shat can be kept or eaten on the floor. Easy solution is to stop being lazy so and sos and get rid of the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nasal Violation

newport2 wrote: »
    Out of interest, how did you get the opportunity to smell an old wet football boot that's been stuck in a pig's a$$ for a few months for your comparison?

I played football growing up.

I lived next to a farm.

There wasn't much to doing with my time.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Story was almost believable until you brought the sprouts into it. Go on outta that.

It started with sprouts for the first few weeks, it has gone into cauliflower for the last couple of months.

I wish I was joking..........I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

"Alright mate, I just wanted to have a chat with you about the cauliflour; I'm not telling you what to do or anything, but a few of us were saying the smell is starting to cause a bother. I thought I'd say it to you direct altogether rather than people moaning about it behind your back and whatnot"

Honestly; if people would just have things out in the open instead of moaning and seething like a load of slighted teenagers offices wouldn't be such sh*t places to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Put an air freshener in there and see if he gets the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

How do his farts smell OP? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Bring in a bag of norwegian fremented herring then the smell of cauliflower wont be bothering you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Leave some bread at home to get moldy.

Take some of the mold with you on a Monday morning, and put it into his cauliflower bag discreetly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

garlic is your friend, just start eating it raw, he may call a truce

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

If you are serious though OP I'd be all for getting rid of the fridge. The kitchen can't be that far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I made myself a lovely cup of tea in an office I worked in and discovered stringy stuff in it.
    I gave the kettle a rinse out and tried again. This kept happening and we were looking into getting plumbers to investigate.

Eventually we discovered one of my colleagues was using it to boil eggs for their sandwiches !!!!!

FTA69 wrote: »
    "Alright mate, I just wanted to have a chat with you about the cauliflour; I'm not telling you what to do or anything, but a few of us were saying the smell is starting to cause a bother. I thought I'd say it to you direct altogether rather than people moaning about it behind your back and whatnot"

Honestly; if people would just have things out in the open instead of moaning and seething like a load of slighted teenagers offices wouldn't be such sh*t places to work.

If people really told co-workers what they thought of each other then offices would be unbearable as well. There's a food chain for a reason and in most cases, it's best to kick issues up the ladder.

If people really told co-workers what they thought of each other then offices would be unbearable as well. There's a food chain for a reason and in most cases, it's best to kick issues up the ladder.

I have told him.

I've sent him the link to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Kick stuff up the ladder? Yeah in some cases maybe, but if you're going to the manager or the boss and ratting him out over some cauliflour instead of saying it direct then you're causing an even bigger sh*tstorm.

And complaining him to the higher ups about something so trivial is pure low carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Buy a van of air freshener. Spray around when he gets the stinky food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

We had some people from another office move to ours. In their office they were used to eating at their desks. When they started that here they were told to fcuk off and eat in the canteen in no uncertian terms. Leeway is given for sandwiches or non smelly stuff but anything that smells, esp hot food, is nipped in the proverbial bud quick smart.

So, You know, Just tell yer man his food smells and to fcuk off with himself. Its really not that difficult.

It's so silly, moan to friends, run to AH...the amount of backbone needed to say to someone "your food smells" is surely miniscule. It's not offensive, it's not upsetting, it's not personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is it even edible at the end of the week?

And is that all he eats?

Steamed cauliflower?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Buy a van of air freshener. Spray around when he gets the stinky food.

Surely a van load is a bit excessive? :D

What you could also do is buy a hat, and tie those air freshener trees to it, like the Aussies do with corks. Encourage your co - workers to do the same.

Once he starts reaching for the cauli - pull out your hats, and put them on in an obvious manner

just horse the bloody thing in the bin after the first day

It's so silly, moan to friends, run to AH...the amount of backbone needed to say to someone "your food smells" is surely miniscule. It's not offensive, it's not upsetting, it's not personal.

This thread is purely so he can see the thoughts of others. We've all told him, he's a certain kind of special but we love him like he was our own mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Someone needs to lose the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fart in his face

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Find somthing he can't stand the smell of and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I would just throw it out for him. On the Monday.

Kick stuff up the ladder? Yeah in some cases maybe, but if you're going to the manager or the boss and ratting him out over some cauliflour instead of saying it direct then you're causing an even bigger sh*tstorm.

And complaining him to the higher ups about something so trivial is pure low carry on.

Not cauliflower, as I said just get rid of the fridge.

I'm talking about the type of person who will always have an excuse for something even when questioned. The type of person who knows as well that most people are too well mannered to let something escalate into a full blown shouting match on the floor.

That's the type of scenario that should be kicked up the ladder. Even then, wouldn't hold my breath on any action there either. Management, or a lot of at least, are averse to "hassle" and prefer a team full of people in misery than actually dealing with the root cause of the conflict.

• Advertisement

Getting rid of the fridge is a ridiculous suggestion. That will piss off far more people than neccesary.

Best thing to do is horse it in the bin on Monday evening. When he asks what the story is - just say that something smelled off/gone bad in the fridge and you chucked it in the bin.

If they respond with - "that's how it normally smells"

then you just curl your lip up and say - "really!? it smelled pretty bad to be honest"

Advertisement