Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Was just talking to an examiner who was in contact with SEC today. Forms to be issued in the coming days seems to be the word on the street. Closing date for return is 21st December.

Pension levy is gone as far as I know, but the mileage rates have been cut, what they give with one hand they take with the other.

I got my form in the post yesterday. Very short window on closing date!!

Fingers crossed pension levy is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Got mine stamped running out the door of school to head west for Christmas visit. Going to get it in the post tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I see a lot of exams are gone digital this year, I know this is slightly off topic, but how did people find it marking online last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I see a lot of exams are gone digital this year, I know this is slightly off topic, but how did people find it marking online last year?

I've corrected using this system for the past two years and I have to say it's brilliant. Saves a lot of time and don't have to make post office runs or worry about result sheets as it's all done for you. I'm not going to give anymore information here due to SEC charter etc. ... feel free PM for more info.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just a general q re the digital marking....

Do you know what the slowest acceptable broadband for it would be, or will it work even on the worst connection? I'm thinking of a friend of mine who has trouble receiving even emails in the rural area in which she lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

spurious wrote: »
    Just a general q re the digital marking....

Do you know what the slowest acceptable broadband for it would be, or will it work even on the worst connection? I'm thinking of a friend of mine who has trouble receiving even emails in the rural area in which she lives.

I have poor broadband and that caused a few problems but I got though it. If he/she has any bit of phone coverage on mobile connect to it. I did this and it worked fine. You're only viewing the script, not downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Has anyone received their appointment letter for superintending yet? I got a text message in Feb saying I’d get my appointment letter in late March and we are into April now and still nothing.

sitstill wrote: »
    Has anyone received their appointment letter for superintending yet? I got a text message in Feb saying I’d get my appointment letter in late March and we are into April now and still nothing.
    no nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lanig123

Still awaiting mine too

• Registered Users Posts: 26 shannongreen

I haven't received mine either and I received the same text

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I'm pretty sure it is always the final week of May when you get the appointment letter. If by appoinment letter you mean the one telling you where you are? I can't remember how many letters we get. But no, I've gotten nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The first text said we'd get an appointment letter by late March and the second said that the previous was a mistake and we'd hear if we'd get a letter updating our status.

Both texts mentioned getting a letter in March, the updated text said we'd get a letter in March advising us of our status. It would be nice to know!
    I received my invitation for correcting state exams but that was a very vague letter! I'm new to all this.

Be prepared for similar for superintending. My friend didn't get it last year and it didn't say that she was rejected only that they might still need her!! You get another letter the week before the exams start telling you which school you are in but it doesn't tell you how long for. You don't really know until you collect the box from distribution and see what packets you have.

Ah it's so hard to plan your summer! Not a mind budget for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

I haven’t received a letter yet. I’m hoping I will next week 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Nothing here either. I'd say next week.

Superintendent offers in today's post. Have to fill in an acceptance form by April 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So I got a rejection letter this morning. Well I have the offer of being put on the reserve panel. I'm teaching 17 years, have corrected for all of those years, have done practicals for 15 of those years, and despite there being a shortage every year, I'm still only offered the reserve panel. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also I notice the envelopes for returning acceptance/refusal for superintending are not prepaid like the practicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

So I got a rejection letter this morning. Well I have the offer of being put on the reserve panel. I'm teaching 17 years, have corrected for all of those years, have done practicals for 15 of those years, and despite there being a shortage every year, I'm still only offered the reserve panel. Thanks, but no thanks.

Also I notice the envelopes for returning acceptance/refusal for superintending are not prepaid like the practicals.

Yeah, it really makes you wonder about all these supposed shortages, doesn't it?

• Advertisement

Are you Dublin based? I was under the impression that they had a chronic shortage so you'd imagine they would jump at an experienced teacher.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Superintendent offers in today's post. Have to fill in an acceptance form by April 13th.

They don't give us very long to get the reply slip back do they.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yeah, it really makes you wonder about all these supposed shortages, doesn't it?

Are you Dublin based? I was under the impression that they had a chronic shortage so you'd imagine they would jump at an experienced teacher.

No I'm not Dublin based, but I presume they'd rather leave a place unfilled and hope a Dublin based teacher miraculously applies for it between now and June rather than giving it to an experienced teacher and paying them mileage.

Friend of mine (lives in the same town as me) was rung last year or year before and was offered Dublin, they were begging her on the phone to take the position (LC had started at that stage) and were giving her a choice of schools. She had already refused superintending in April due to a change in circumstances.

No I'm not Dublin based, but I presume they'd rather leave a place unfilled and hope a Dublin based teacher miraculously applies for it between now and June rather than giving it to an experienced teacher and paying them mileage.

Friend of mine (lives in the same town as me) was rung last year or year before and was offered Dublin, they were begging her on the phone to take the position (LC had started at that stage) and were giving her a choice of schools. She had already refused superintending in April due to a change in circumstances.

I'm based in Dublin and a couple of years ago was superintending with a woman who was living in Galway city. She was making a ridiculous amount on the mileage meanwhile I was like 5KMs from my school :-(

got my letter today :)

I'm based in Dublin and a couple of years ago was superintending with a woman who was living in Galway city. She was making a ridiculous amount on the mileage meanwhile I was like 5KMs from my school :-(

I'm in the west too so would get decent mileage/overnights for Dublin, but not going to hang around waiting for scraps to be thrown to me in June.

Yeah the envelopes haven't been prepaid in a few years now. I must remember to include it in my expenses form!

Did anyone see the daily rate had a slight increase?

I'm in the west too so would get decent mileage/overnights for Dublin, but not going to hang around waiting for scraps to be thrown to me in June.

It's no good is it. Even those with offers are only given the 5-22nd in their letters might only get a few days out of it. They don't honestly tell anyone in case they decline.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Yeah the envelopes haven't been prepaid in a few years now. I must remember to include it in my expenses form!

Did anyone see the daily rate had a slight increase?

What has the daily rate gone up to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 GemmaLouise

I got a refusal letter as well. I’m raging as for some reason I was sure that due to shortages I would get it. Oh well! Does anyone know the likelihood of getting called as a reserve?

Advertisement