Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superintending 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Good question. And if so why only pay mileage rates from our school?

And how come they do our taxes and not us? I'm finding it so bizarre that a state agency can employ us ... but not actually employ us?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

And how come they do our taxes and not us? I'm finding it so bizarre that a state agency can employ us ... but not actually employ us?

This is really interesting. And not something I think I even noticed last year. I just took the money and ran because I was so in need of it.

Does this effectively mean that we are paying too much tax on these earnings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

https://www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/code-of-practice-on-employment-status.pdf

I think superintending really fits better under employee status according to this guide. And marking too, but not quite so clear.

www.revenue.ie/en/self-assessment-and-self-employment/documents/code-of-practice-on-employment-status.pdf

I think superintending really fits better under employee status according to this guide. And marking too, but not quite so clear.

And superintending and marking are under different different codes from each other too. I just find it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Can someone explain why being employed by the SEC actually makes you self-employed for tax purposes? I'm very surprised by this.

And we have to pay pension levy :(

I work doing the July Provision and we don’t have to pay pension levy :)
    We pay paye, prsi and usc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Millem wrote: »
    And we have to pay pension levy :(

I work doing the July Provision and we don’t have to pay pension levy :)
    We pay paye, prsi and usc.

I think the pension levy on the exams is going next year. There was a thread about that recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Can someone explain why being employed by the SEC actually makes you self-employed for tax purposes? I'm very surprised by this.

How do you figure it's self-employment?

How do you figure it's self-employment?

I was told when trying to obtain a P45 from them, as it turns out they don't supply them due to you being self-employed and not directly employed by them.

I was told when trying to obtain a P45 from them, as it turns out they don't supply them due to you being self-employed and not directly employed by them.
    They will provide a “statement of earnings”.
    They have an employer number which you would of set up with revenue. I always thought we were “contract staff” but employed. We do pay J prsi but the code ends up being 0% as it is “subsidiary employment”.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I was paid for my stint yesterday. I didn’t do anything with tax credits because, to be honest, the whole thing confuses me enormously. If I do request a balancing statement next April will it all work out the same? I’m also marking so it shouldn’t be an insignificant amount. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I was paid for my stint yesterday. I didn’t do anything with tax credits because, to be honest, the whole thing confuses me enormously. If I do request a balancing statement next April will it all work out the same? I’m also marking so it shouldn’t be an insignificant amount. Thanks.

You got paid already for superintending? That’s very quick. When did you finish up?

12th. But I went back and did more as someone dropped out, and I haven’t been paid for that centre yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will be like enforced savings. Depending on how much else you earn this year, you could have a tidy amount waiting for you.
    You don't need to wait til April. The tax year ends Dec 31st, so once you have a P60 or the statement of earnings, you are good to go. You can do it all online. They are very efficient. Revenue seems to be about the one branch of government that is.

spurious wrote: »
    It will be like enforced savings. Depending on how much else you earn this year, you could have a tidy amount waiting for you.
    You don't need to wait til April. The tax year ends Dec 31st, so once you have a P60 or the statement of earnings, you are good to go. You can do it all online. They are very efficient. Revenue seems to be about the one branch of government that is.

Indeed, it’s because they don’t have a minister. Go figure.

That’s great. Thanks Spurious, I just wasn’t sure if I was missing a trick. I’m CID on full hours so it won’t break the bank but it all helps.

got paid today for superintending! finished 14th june!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wow that's quick.

Wow that's quick.
    I know! I posted it on 14th too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Less than 30 working days. Congratulations and spend wisely :) or unwisely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

At the risk of sounding like an eejit, deservedly, what exactly would I need to do? I'm correcting as well as superintending so it might be worth my while.....
    Thank you

At the risk of sounding like an eejit, deservedly, what exactly would I need to do? I'm correcting as well as superintending so it might be worth my while.....
    Thank you

You can always bring your statement of earnings and any other P60s in to your local tax office, but if you want to do it yourself (and it's very straightforward), first open an account at www.revenue.ie I think they may need to send a PIN by post to verify your address.

Then in March, or whenever you have all your P60s, go to PAYE services
    Review your tax 2015-18
    and you can fill in your income for your various employers (Form 12), then request an End of Year statement (P21) which will state how much tax, USC etc. you have overpaid and within days they will have the overpayment back to you in your bank account.

I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it is, really.
    If you did some SEC or other work in the previous year, you can claim it back too, if you were charged a high rate of tax on a low income. I think you can go back four years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Has anyone claimed back PRD if overpaid at the higher rate? Id it worth claiming back?

Has anyone claimed back PRD if overpaid at the higher rate? Id it worth claiming back?

no! I looked into it as mine was 0.5% overcharged but I think I would of owed tax then? As PRD is off gross then paye is gross taxable!!!
    If that even makes sense ;)

Got my pay slip yesterday for superintending. Tiny increase in daily rates...€282.88 for first day €€280.08 was on form of account), €€113.16 daily rate (€112.04 was on form of account).
    Overall €9 gross more form me!

On a separate note if pension levy is scrapped next year (going to basically be renamed) will we get charged it’s replacement on exam work?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

Hen did you finish up Millem?

Hen did you finish up Millem?
    The 14th june.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Got my pay slip yesterday for superintending. Tiny increase in daily rates...€282.88 for first day €€280.08 was on form of account), €€113.16 daily rate (€112.04 was on form of account).

On a separate note if pension levy is scrapped next year (going to basically be renamed) will we get charged it’s replacement on exam work?

Pension levy is gone from correcting, supervising etc next year. So it will be basically like a 10.5% pay rise but you’ll pay more tax.

ccazza wrote: »

Pension levy is gone from correcting, supervising etc next year. So it will be basically like a 10.5% pay rise but you’ll pay more tax.
    fingers crossed! I hope it actually happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chocoholic999

I finished on the 15th and got paid today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Pension Levy is gone but I really wouldn't be surprised if they lumped the newly named levy on instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

Anyone finished on the 20th who posted everything that day get paid yet!?

Advertisement