Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penelty points

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lipa213 wrote: »
    there is less acidents in poland than in ireland
    road fatalities per 100,000 population in poland: 10.3.
    ireland: 4.1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lipa213

There is all ways a way around it ;) irish law have loopholes every where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

disagree. the penalty points/insurance costs seems to be having a much better deterrent effect than the idea of having to do a course...

I don't believe it was ever tested here, so it's impossible to say which is a better deterrent. Points and FPNs aren't exactly fantastic.

In my opinion penalty points dont deside are you good or bad driver they are just points you earn due to mistake you have made and ppl always will make mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Well in Ireland, if you are caught doing 65 in a 60 zone, your a murdering baxtard and therefore get hit with points and an insurance hike (which is already extortionate). In other, more logical countries, points are reserved for more serious offenses and smaller FPNs are handed out for minor violations.

I drive close to 30,000 kilometers per year. I'm driving 33 years now no penalty points, no claims ever. Never clamped & no parking ticket in 25 years. I have cheap insurance. It's not that hard to drive like this. Yet we have people like the op not knowing the rules of the road or refusing to abide by them and putting my life in danger. Spending is the biggest factor in our road deaths in Ireland. I wouldn't even mind the points op got if it looked like they were learning their lesson but they think it's harmless. Is there a loophole? Jaus wept. It's not harmless. Drivers like that don't just put their lives in danger, they put mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

In my opinion penalty points dont deside are you good or bad driver they are just points you earn due to mistake you have made and ppl always will make mistakes

Let's hope that you don't make a mistake that results in the death of another user of the road who is unfortunate enough to encounter you speeding.
    If you killed yourself would your family consider that a mistake??

Lipa213 wrote:

Getting penalty points shows that you are a bad driver. That's why your insurance has gone up. You get the points so that your insurance knows that you are a dangerous driver and they can charge extra for the extra risk of your driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I drive close to 30,000 kilometers per year. I'm driving 33 years now no penalty points, no claims ever. Never clamped & no parking ticket in 25 years. I have cheap insurance. It's not that hard to drive like this. Yet we have people like the op not knowing the rules of the road or refusing to abide by them and putting my life in danger. Spending is the biggest factor in our road deaths in Ireland. I wouldn't even mind the points op got if it looked like they were learning their lesson but they think it's harmless. Is there a loophole? Jaus wept. It's not harmless. Drivers like that don't just put their lives in danger, they put mine too.

And I could replicate the above, drive over 30,000km annually, no penalty points received, never clamped, one parking ticket about 30 years ago, one claim but I still have a certain element of sympathy for the op, it is very easy to get penalty points coming from 100 km zone right down to 50km zone, just a few km over and one has 3 penalty points and I wouldn't classify someone caught for that as a dangerous driver and putting your life at risk.

We have normal ppl here and ppl that just drive 50 km/h on motorway ;) hahaha such bull**** i asked is there a way around somthing and yet ye come up with 1000 solutions and reasons why im bad driver i never had accident and never will when ever i can i will still speed i like to speed when ever is safe to do so end of story

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I know you can't exchange lerner permit in other countries im asking if i had full irish licneces and exchange them for polish or uk would the points remain on the polish or uk licneces

You can only exchange driving licences if you are living in that country long term. Before you do that, you might want to address the small matter of actually passing a driving test and obtaining a full licence to exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't believe it was ever tested here, so it's impossible to say which is a better deterrent. Points and FPNs aren't exactly fantastic.
    a driving course? the OP says they already did the 12 mandatory driving lessons. what's a course going to do that will lead to a blinding revelation, except give them an excuse to drop a point?

You can only exchange driving licences if you are living in that country long term. Before you do that, you might want to address the small matter of actually passing a driving test and obtaining a full licence to exchange.

But will the points remain on the exchange licences if i come back to ireland with them ?

august12 wrote:
    And I could replicate the above, drive over 30,000km annually, no penalty points received, never clamped, one parking ticket about 30 years ago, one claim but I still have a certain element of sympathy for the op, it is very easy to get penalty points coming from 100 km zone right down to 50km zone, just a few km over and one has 3 penalty points and I wouldn't classify someone caught for that as a dangerous driver and putting your life at risk.

I already said I could forgive the penalty points if it looked like they had learned their lesson. Op doesn't think that there is anything wrong with speeding and I have an issue with that.
    I'm still skeptical about this whole thread. I'm thinking a possible fake /duplicate account and a wind-up

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I already said I could forgive the penalty points if it looked like they had learned their lesson. Op doesn't think that there is anything wrong with speeding and I have an issue with that.
    I'm still skeptical about this whole thread. I'm thinking a possible fake /duplicate account and a wind-up

What's fake ? im just asking for opinion and advice ;) nothing is fake here

Lipa213 wrote:
    What's fake ? im just asking for opinion and advice nothing is fake here

Just joined today. First post wanting to scam the system. Cocky replys. No problem understanding us but broken English replies.

Nah I'm sure I'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We have normal ppl here and ppl that just drive 50 km/h on motorway ;) hahaha such bull**** i asked is there a way around somthing and yet ye come up with 1000 solutions and reasons why im bad driver i never had accident and never will when ever i can i will still speed i like to speed when ever is safe to do so end of story
    What's fake ? im just asking for opinion and advice ;) nothing is fake here

Other than this account maybe. You are looking to get rid of the points you have for speeding, yet boast about the fact that you speed and will continue to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Leaving aside a course, the penalty points are much more effective for the more affluent motorists. Previously they just paid fine after fine and continued speeding with their two fingers up to the Gardai and the system.

My engrish ish grood :)

Leaving aside a course, the penalty points are much more effective for the more affluent motorists. Previously they just paid fine after fine and continued speeding with their two fingers up to the Gardai and the system.

Good point ;) if there is way around it to not to get more point's id love to hear it ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Lipa213 wrote:
    But will the points remain on the exchange licences if i come back to ireland with them ?

Lipa213 wrote:
    What's fake ? im just asking for opinion and advice nothing is fake here

New account, could hardly type at the beginning of the thread, now there's punctuation.

Guess who's back?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

tedpan wrote: »
    New account, could hardly type at the beginning of the thread, now there's punctuation.

Guess who's back?!?

Hook... line... and sinker... damn it!

tedpan wrote: »

Guess who's back?!?

What the actual fuk your saying there ? my english is not perfect so your just trying to be resist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

You can only use an EU license for a certain amount of time (I think 1 year) before you have to exchange it for an Irish one. At that point, it would then likely be noticed that you used to have a Irish learner permit and those points would transfer. I believe it's also illegal to hold two driving licenses simultaneously so that would not be an option. You would also have a problem with your insurance; if they ask have about your points and you lie then your policy will be invalid and now you're driving without insurance. You could really screw yourself on this so don't try it, it could take years to undo the mess it would create. Concentrate on the cost part rather than the points.

phildin wrote: »
    You can only use an EU license for a certain amount of time (I think 1 year) before you have to exchange it for an Irish one. At that point, it would then likely be noticed that you used to have a Irish learner permit and those points would transfer. I believe it's also illegal to hold two driving licenses simultaneously so that would not be an option. You would also have a problem with your insurance; if they ask have about your points and you lie then your policy will be invalid and now you're driving without insurance. You could really screw yourself on this so don't try it, it could take years to undo the mess it would create. Concentrate on the cost part rather than the points.

Ok sound for the help :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Lipa213 wrote:
    What the actual fuk your saying there ? my english is not perfect so your just trying to be resist

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ibtl

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

sdanseo wrote: »
    Serious answer - no. Once you have them they stay.

If you pass your test your limit goes to 12, in the meantime getting it down to 4 won't help much as a lot of offences are 3 points now which would still put you off the road.

If you pass your test your limit is still 7 points, it goes to 12 after holding a full licence for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

phildin wrote: »

You can use an EU licence for the lenght of it's validity here, there is no 1 year limit in such a case.

• Subscribers Posts: 171 ✭✭Night Falls

i can drive 150 km in town and be more safer than some of drivers here thats my own opinion :)
    Yeah, I don't think you'll have to worry about the cost of car insurance for too long if that's your genuine opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I think our conversation is making no sense and wont help me any way so i just wont reply to it becaouse i didnt ask how bad driver i am i asked is ther a chance to reduce the penelty points and if i had freign licenc would the points remain on my acount in ireland and i didnt got a resneble answear to that so i just wont go in to arguments here.

Just apply for an Irish driving licence from scratch. If that's what you have done already then the points stay with you for 3 years and you have to just accept it.
    I don't think your points carry over from a foreign license.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement