Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

bullpost wrote: »
    I get depressed about our ****ty public transport every time I visit the numerous continental cities with great options as you describe.

Year's of under investment, political BS refusing to upgrade the damn thing and shoddy management certainly doesn't help. System needs DU, more multi tracking, more cross overs, more rolling stock and drivers and until they do this it will just keep going onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Infini wrote: »
    Year's of under investment, political BS refusing to upgrade the damn thing and shoddy management certainly doesn't help. System needs DU, more multi tracking, more cross overs, more rolling stock and drivers and until they do this it will just keep going onwards.

All fine and dandy until some tit gets a fit of the vapours about spending decent money on the railways.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're giving up and putting the former 0755 back to 0755 from Monday. Not sure if there's changes to the Sligo time yet

The Sligo was only 2 minutes late to Maynooth today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yeah the Maynooth bray will leave Maynooth now at 07:55 with the Sligo Connolly leaving Maynooth at 08:08

Good to see common sense being applied here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    I dunno they have this soviet union style standards system where 5 minutes late counts as "on time" hence all the posters bragging about 94% of services being "on time".

Moscow uses a 90 second standard and is 99.5% on time.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You are disgusted that IR worked out some problems with their new timetable, listened to consumers and fixed it?

Capitulation? Did you think this is a war?

What a strange poster you are. Clearly not a commuter, but you don’t seem to be an employee either. You just dislike train commuters.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wow, looking at that press release are they really that unaware or just being purposefully ignorant :
    . Whilst the vast majority of this new timetable has provided a much enhanced service to DART commuters
    Seriously?! I haven't met a single DART happy with the new timetable and many very annoyed by it.

You are disgusted that IR worked out some problems with their new timetable, listened to consumers and fixed it? Did you think it’s a war?

What a strange poster you are. Clearly not a commuter, but you don’t seem to be an employee either. You just dislike train commuters.

I love trains and I am a train commuter. I love train commuters. My commute is a long and comfortable one and I am able to work on the train; sometimes I don't and I watch TV or something. The new system and old both worked for me. However I think that nothing should be done hastily! Presumably a great deal of thought went into the new schedule. Systems driven work, data gathering, data analysis, machine learning models, LISP based scheduling tools and now teh new schedule is overturned after a week!

ixoy wrote: »
    Wow, looking at that press release are they really that unaware or just being purposefully ignorant :

Seriously?! I haven't met a single DART happy with the new timetable and many very annoyed by it.
    The world doesn't stop and start in Bertieland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

It's quite bizarre really. Plenty of passengers left behind again at Killester and Clontarf Road this morning and they still refuse to swap sets around to ensure 8 carriage trains are running from the Northside in the busiest time of the mornings.

Real head in the sand stuff.

Also I've noticed in evening rush hour four 8 carriage trains in a row serving the Southside from around 5 to 5:45 while most going between the two destinations on the Northside are 6 carriages at most.

Can these long trains going to Bray every 10 minutes in the evening be swapped to the Northside rush hour or can they change round sets during the day? Does changing around sets for evening peak affect morning rush hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I love trains and I am a train commuter. I love train commuters. My commute is a long and comfortable one and I am able to work on the train; sometimes I don't and I watch TV or something. The new system and old both worked for me. However I think that nothing should be done hastily! Presumably a great deal of thought went into the new schedule. Systems driven work, data gathering, data analysis, machine learning models, LISP based scheduling tools and now teh new schedule is overturned after a week!

So you have absolutely no experience of the effect of the changes on DART users but **** them because you are comfortable. do i have that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The world doesn't stop and start in Bertieland!

Where is this Dublin?

The Dart more or less does stop in Dublin only......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Tara station:

17:09, Train has 7 carriages. It's a tight but comfortable fit. No one is grinding their nether regions with anyone.

17:49, Train has 4 carriages and all the passengers are cramped like sardines.

18:09, same as above

What the f... were they thinking?! At rush hour when most people are leaving work they REDUCE the amount of carriages per train??

latest.jpg?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvignette1.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fgodzilla%2Fimages%2F8%2F81%2FGenius-meme.png%2Frevision%2Flatest%3Fcb%3D20130511201401&q=0&b=1&p=0&a=1

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

thomasj wrote: »
    Yeah the Maynooth bray will leave Maynooth now at 07:55 with the Sligo Connolly leaving Maynooth at 08:08

Good to see common sense being applied here .

Doesn't give a new arrival time for the 0808 and the journey planner hasn't been updated yet. The extra 11 minutes in the morning would be nice but if its back to the old arrival time from when it was 0814 I may not be able to take it every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

L1011 wrote: »
    Doesn't give a new arrival time for the 0808 and the journey planner hasn't been updated yet. The extra 11 minutes in the morning would be nice but if its back to the old arrival time from when it was 0814 I may not be able to take it every day.

The sligo will arrive at 8:49

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Can these long trains going to Bray every 10 minutes in the evening be swapped to the Northside rush hour or can they change round sets during the day? Does changing around sets for evening peak affect morning rush hour?

if all the sets are in use all day, it would be tricky to swap sets around at any point as once they arrive into the terminus they have to turn around and go back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jem72

The Sligo line must be falling apart. The timing for the 0540 from Sligo is now 9 minutes longer between Mullingar and Maynooth than it was in 2013. This for a distance of 57km - give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

No one getting on my dart this morning from Killester. The look on peoples faces on the platform...

Sh.it show.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Decuc500 wrote: »

if all the sets are in use all day, it would be tricky to swap sets around at any point as once they arrive into the terminus they have to turn around and go back out again.
    Still they must be able to do better than running short trains at both morning and evening rush hour. We know there's better configurations because we had them before September the 9th when people weren't constantly left behind. There's obviously longer trains travelling outside of these core hours away from the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

We have also yet to experience what will happen if there is a major shut down on the line - accident/signal fault etc - while it always causes chaos, once it gets moving people tend to be able to get on Darts - what will happen now is there will have been no trains for an hour because of whatever problem and then a whole pile of 4 carriage darts will show up and people will be stuck waiting for another hour. There is literally zero spare capacity now for anything to impact the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Extra 7 minutes added to 05.40 from Sligo starting Monday, now almost impossoble to make a 9-am start.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Extra 7 minutes added to 05.40 from Sligo starting Monday, now almost impossoble to make a 9-am start.

It's back to its old arrival time more or less. There is a justification for it to go even earlier for an 830 arrival really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

skeogh82 wrote: »
    We have also yet to experience what will happen if there is a major shut down on the line - a..
    It happened on the northside yesterday morning. What happened was no body had any confidence in the service returning, or getting on a dart once it did, so everybody got into a car or got a bus. The result was, when the service did return there were seats on the Dart. This was undoubtly seen as a giant success. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

L1011 wrote:
    It's back to its old arrival time more or less. There is a justification for it to go even earlier for an 830 arrival really

The 07.57 Maynooth Bray had to go back the way it was, it was messed up pushing it back.

I do think the 07.57 could have switched roles with the 07.45 and then have the Sligo train leave at 07.57 and Maynooth Connolly at 08.02, but would have been a bit of messing around to achieve that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

The 22:17 ex Connolly to Maynooth was moved to 22:19. It now has been moved to 22:15 but still leaves around 22:20. Not much point in changing it was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Still they must be able to do better than running short trains at both morning and evening rush hour. We know there's better configurations because we had them before September the 9th when people weren't constantly left behind.

that's because the old timetable required less units to run it, meaning there were enough units to allow for longer trains. the new timetable means a lot of longer trains have had to be halved to come up with units to run the increased frequency.
    There's obviously longer trains travelling outside of these core hours away from the centre.

yes there are. however even if those sets were swapped to a different service, there would still be a mostly short train service. there just isn't enough rolling stock to have a 10 minute frequency and an all long train service.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

yes there are. however even if those sets were swapped to a different service, there would still be a mostly short train service. there just isn't enough rolling stock to have a 10 minute frequency and an all long train service.
    I understand that but there's something missing in the execution. Let's say for argument's sake they have, for one direction, 30 carriages an hour. Under the old time table that'd be 3x8 + 1x6 every 15 minutes (it was more than every 15 minutes anyway). Now though, it feels like, even though there's in theory more trains that we've got a bunch of 4 carriage trains and it's like a set of 4+4+4+6+6, or closer to 24 carriages passing through (i.e. a 20% drop but it seems like more than that). It's more frequent but it's a marked down size - i.e. you can have more frequent services and also reduce overall capacity.

That's what's happening on the northside - look at Twitter where, daily, people can't get on for multiple trains despite the increased frequency. Reduced capacity *overall* is the only explanation especially, if the train sizes were evenly spread out, you'd expect a more even distribution of people being stuck. The required capacity at that time is elsewhere, maybe on its way to Bray having already passed through the city centre or serving the privileged southside..

Anyone have any figures as to how many DART carriages they could field? I imagine we could all do a better job here.

Currently sitting on the 17:10 from Connolly to Sligo which has not yet reached Drumcondra. Would it not make sense to send this train off at 17:15 (with or without a stop in Drumcondra) to avoid this pantomime of immediate waiting? Provided that no Maynooth or Dunboyne line train is put in front of it this would have little impact on arrival time in Maynooth etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I understand that but there's something missing in the execution. Let's say for argument's sake they have, for one direction, 30 carriages an hour. Under the old time table that'd be 3x8 + 1x6 every 15 minutes (it was more than every 15 minutes anyway). Now though, it feels like, even though there's in theory more trains that we've got a bunch of 4 carriage trains and it's like a set of 4+4+4+6+6, or closer to 24 carriages passing through (i.e. a 20% drop but it seems like more than that). It's more frequent but it's a marked down size - i.e. you can have more frequent services and also reduce overall capacity.

That's what's happening on the northside - look at Twitter where, daily, people can't get on for multiple trains despite the increased frequency. Reduced capacity *overall* is the only explanation especially, if the train sizes were evenly spread out, you'd expect a more even distribution of people being stuck.

Anyone have any figures as to how many DART carriages they could field? I imagine we could all do a better job here.

a lot of the previously 8 car sets were halved to release more units to run the extra frequency. the 8 car services were double unit trains and the 6 car services are tripple 8100 sets. those trains alternate between howth and malahide on a 20 minute frequency. the core 10 minute frequency is between bray and howth junction.
    from having a look at the numbers. 30 carriges an hour on a 15 minute frequency of 3 8s and a 6, is now having to become 30 carriges per hour on a 10 minute frequency in the core of 4 4s an 8 and a 6, 2 of those previously 8 car trains having to be halved to release units. you are going from 4 trains an hour to 6 in the core with 3 of those going to howth and 3 to malahide. so, 1 of the branches will get at least 16 carriges and the other 14 with no guarantee of which will get what.
    if there are only 24 carriges now per hour with 3 4s and 2 6s, then the services are likely running at 12 minutes and the only reduction from 30 to 24 that is possible is by 6 carriges. for there to be a reduction in 6 cars, that would have required another 6 car somewhere but that 6 car didn't exist with the original 30 carrige number of which there was only 1 6 car. with the numbers given it couldn't be more then 24 out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement