Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Loremaster Teclis

Hey Everyone, so what do we think about Deloitte delaying the hand over of the merit list to PSNI for a few weeks? Is this gonna mean a complete halt in processing by PSNI? But then again they have been working without a merit list for the fast track groups? Really hoping, but not so sure about calls from the 14th May. Then again that is when online learning was due by for the first group. Ahh I don't know, the mind map in my head right now of if that, then this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Hey Everyone, so what do we think about Deloitte delaying the hand over of the merit list to PSNI for a few weeks? Is this gonna mean a complete halt in processing by PSNI? But then again they have been working without a merit list for the fast track groups? Really hoping, but not so sure about calls from the 14th May. Then again that is when online learning was due by for the first group. Ahh I don't know, the mind map in my head right now of if that, then this.

It's only being delayed so a small number of people have the same length of time as everyone else to forward in exam certificates. So not really a big deal time wise.

What has me thinking that a June start is very possible is that PCA is only guaranteed for 6 months. After that it needs to be completed again.
    So if someone with a high 60s mark completed their fast track PCA on the same date as me in early April their PCA expires in OCT. Not really alot of time if the top scorers only enter GV in Aug or Sept.
    Why waste money testing people to let it expire because there were definitely enough people at my PCA familiarisation for 2 classes. Never mind the number in the second group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Aye_Chihuahua

Long time lurker who failed the last campaign at the AC. Happy to announce I passed this time around with 64 so really pleased. Yes I'll have to wait a while but for me, just passing was a massive achievement.

Long time lurker who failed the last campaign at the AC. Happy to announce I passed this time around with 64 so really pleased. Yes I'll have to wait a while but for me, just passing was a massive achievement.

Congrats on passing and welcome to the group :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

NiK9 wrote: »

Congrats on passing and welcome to the group :D

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mrman1578

First time on this posting but have read through the chat consistently and have gotten great support ... my question is to the more experienced do you think a score 6.4 at AC will be enough to be chosen to train at GV if you can ensure success in medical PCA vetting etc?
    I’m in ayechihuahua boots.
    I really didn’t think I would do this well so should I cancel my holiday this year if it lasts from July-August? How realistically are my chances of becoming a student even if I understand will take a period of time (months) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Mrman1578 wrote: »
    First time on this posting but have read through the chat consistently and have gotten great support ... my question is to the more experienced do you think a score 6.4 at AC will be enough to be chosen to train at GV if you can ensure success in medical PCA vetting etc?
    I really didn’t think I would do this well so should I cancel my holiday this year if it lasts from July-August? How realistically are my chances of becoming a student even if I understand will take a period of time (months) thanks

From reading other posts, you and me are looking at late 2018 at the earliest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Don't put your life on hold.

Go on holiday and enjoy yourself.

By the looks of things the likelyhood is that most if not all people who meet standard will get in.

You are entering into a profession that is a vocation and not just a job so being able to do the fun things in life is something you are gonna need to take every opportunity to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Like a lot of you, I’m trying not to get ahead of myself. However being back in work this morning (at least it’s Tuesday eh?) has got me thinking that I want this even more now.

On that though, in terms of all of us who are currently employed in a 9-5. How does that work around recruitment? I assume the Medical, PCA (and the familiarisation classes) etc are during the week, so I’d just take some of my leave to do that. What about actual recruitment though, are we given enough time to see out our notice periods, and what about reasons for leaving our current employment, I’d assume that’s not something we can really tell our employer other than just the usual “got a new job” ?

Confusedas wrote: »
    Like a lot of you, I’m trying not to get ahead of myself. However being back in work this morning (at least it’s Tuesday eh?) has got me thinking that I want this even more now.

On that though, in terms of all of us who are currently employed in a 9-5. How does that work around recruitment? I assume the Medical, PCA (and the familiarisation classes) etc are during the week, so I’d just take some of my leave to do that. What about actual recruitment though, are we given enough time to see out our notice periods, and what about reasons for leaving our current employment, I’d assume that’s not something we can really tell our employer other than just the usual “got a new job” ?

1. You are under no obligation to tell your employer what your new job is, you just have to give your notice period as laid out in your contract (if you want paid). They can apply pressure all they want and make a song an dance but there's literally NOTHING they can do. You only have to disclose what your new job is if there is a non-compete clause in your contract but that only applies if it's the same industry...

2. All you have to do is give the statutory one week's notice. I.e. if you aren't arsed about being paid.

3. I think usual time from call to day 1 is roughly 6-8 weeks with induction in between that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Bananarama1512

Confusedas wrote: »

I’m so unmotivated in work now, I’m just finishing my degree at university and started working full time now (shift work) really hope it all happens quickly so I can get of this job!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Question

Online learning, do read material then do some type of assessment at the end to prove you read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

So for the people like myself who scored in the 65-70 bracket that are not fast tracked. What was the lowest anyone scored who was fast tracked ?
    If all goes well a squad every 5 weeks from August should be getting in GV.
    I’m
    Hoping that that means those in the 60’s that didn’t make fasttrack wont be far behind the fast track ones. Maybe early 2019 as a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bananarama1512

takodah wrote: »
    So for the people like myself who scored in the 65-70 bracket that are not fast tracked. What was the lowest anyone scored who was fast tracked ?
    I’m
    Hoping that that means those in the 60’s that didn’t make fasttrack wont be far behind the fast track ones. Maybe early 2019 as a start date.
    also in that bracket but wasn’t fast tracked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I’m

I think those folk 65+ should be in GV by Autumn. The first intake of 1509 started in Jan 17 and in June 17 they reached scores of 63.

People scored a lot higher in that campaign too so 1710 should get lower down the score bracket quicker this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I’m

I think those folk 65+ should be in GV by Autumn. The first intake of 1509 started in Jan 17 and in June 17 they reached scores of 63.

People scored a lot higher in that campaign too so 1710 should get lower down the score bracket quicker this time.

That’s very promising. I am happy to wait the long wait but would just love an Approx time scale so I can keep motivated lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

That’s very promising. I am happy to wait the long wait but would just love an Approx time scale so I can keep motivated lol.

In the same spot pal (65) . It’ll be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

Somewhat glad I'm in the lower score bracket, can just barely finish a three mile run and I'm absolutely gasping for air by the end of it. I'm a student though that's just finished uni so I have all the free time in the world to get ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

Ponif wrote: »
    Somewhat glad I'm in the lower score bracket, can just barely finish a three mile run and I'm absolutely gasping for air by the end of it. I'm a student though that's just finished uni so I have all the free time in the world to get ready :D
    If you can run three miles, you can achieve anything with moderate training. Its like that Royal Navy advert where they go from like a skateboard to a helicopter, except it is actually easy. Starting from scratch is the hard bit.

Being 21 (I assume, if you are just out of Uni) is also an advantage. When I was 21 I was working on my feet all day then going for a 10 mile run in the hills without batting an eyelid. And do it again the next day. I could reach that level of fitness in a month or so, but God damn I would be slow and stiff for the first 20 minutes the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I would love to apply for AGS but i can barely speak any Irish :(

You don't need to be fluent . They will teach you the basics of Irish when and if you get to templemore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    You don't need to be fluent . They will teach you the basics of Irish when and if you get to templemore

Am I right in saying you have to learn in up to Jr cert level in southern secondary education? Most schools don't offer it. My school only offered it if you showed flair for French to begin with?? Anyway, I think its much easier for persons immersed in the language.

Also, I thought you needed either English/Irish and a second language. I didn't think it was the case you had to have exclusively Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan0894a

I am yet to hear my outcome. Anyone else?

Alan0894a wrote: »

Have you tried you spam or junk folder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alan0894a

Just checked passed with a score of 55

Thankyou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Just checked passed with a score of 55

Thankyou

Congrats ðŸ¾

How many people do you guess passed the assessment centre going by some will fail pca and medical? Also can a score of below 60 be enough as could there be many in the 50-60 bracket going by a lot of high scores on this board etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

How many people do you guess passed the assessment centre going by some will fail pca and medical? Also can a score of below 60 be enough as could there be many in the 50-60 bracket going by a lot of high scores on this board etc

It's hard to guess but someone has already submitted a FoI for figures. Scoring below 60 doesn't mean you're out of the running, it just depends on the merit list shifting quick enough before the budget runs out

“Finding new officers, DCC Harris explains, isn't the problem, with around 7,000 applicants for the latest recruitment drive, from which he expects 300-400 will be successful.”

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JECornette

“Finding new officers, DCC Harris explains, isn't the problem, with around 7,000 applicants for the latest recruitment drive, from which he expects 300-400 will be successful.”

This can be taken two ways to my mind. The first is that out of the 7,000 only 300-400 will actually graduate with the rest either not passing stages or dropping out of GV. The second being only 300-400 will be offered a place at GV. I truly think it’s the former. If 1000 of 1710 campaign pass out of GV they’d be happy, they need as many as they can get.

• Advertisement

JECornette wrote: »

This can be taken two ways to my mind. The first is that out of the 7,000 only 300-400 will actually graduate with the rest either not passing stages or dropping out of GV. The second being only 300-400 will be offered a place at GV. I truly think it’s the former. If 1000 of 1710 campaign pass out of GV they’d be happy, they need as many as they can get.

The 7000 were the total applications. Around 2000 passed IST and went forward to the AC. And until the FOI is released we won't know how many passed the AC.

Advertisement