Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I think I remember somone saying the one show did a segment on the PCA.

Anyone recall what date it was or if it's available to watch anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

I think I remember somone saying the one show did a segment on the PCA.

Anyone recall what date it was or if it's available to watch anywhere?

It was maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. I watched it on BBC iPlayer. It was more about weight issues in the police force in England etc but you see a little of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

HIIT, vartlek, press ups, sit ups and pull ups with the odd long distance run should be enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Joe.ie have a video of them doing the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Long time lurker here and first time poster, as my username would suggest, I'm confused as **** about what happens now. I scored a 65 in the AC and Im pretty thrilled with that. However Im confused as Im reading here about people being 'fast tracked' and how some people might not even go any further even if they have passed the AC.

Anyone able to do an ELI5 on any of this? What are our chances of going forward to the medical and physical tests etc. IS passing the AC something to actually get excited over? And how can anyone be fast tracked if the PSNI haven't actually got the results yet, and they were only sent out on Friday?

Would appreciate any/all info you guys have on this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

There was 2 groups of people fast tracked , one around mid March and another at the end of March. These were all people who had scored highly at the A.C. At the end of my assessment centre I was given a sheet explaining the rest of the process and it said that th psni could call people early for any of those stages so that's what they have done. The psni must have asked Deloitte to provide them with the details of the highest scorers so they could progress. The first fast track group have completed their pca and medical. The second fast track group completed their pca last week. 65 is a brilliant score so you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure it won't be long to they get round to you since many of the applicants with a higher score have already been processed. Well done and welcome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Confusedas wrote: »
    Long time lurker here and first time poster, as my username would suggest, I'm confused as **** about what happens now. I scored a 65 in the AC and Im pretty thrilled with that. However Im confused as Im reading here about people being 'fast tracked' and how some people might not even go any further even if they have passed the AC.

Anyone able to do an ELI5 on any of this? What are our chances of going forward to the medical and physical tests etc. IS passing the AC something to actually get excited over? And how can anyone be fast tracked if the PSNI haven't actually got the results yet, and they were only sent out on Friday?

No idea what an ELI5 is but anyway lol...

Basically the people who were fast tracked were people who scored top marks in the AC. So basically there was no chance if them failing it. So their details were the passed onto the PSNI to help speed up the process.

The first fast track had roughly 60 people. Not sure about the second.
    But I know someone in the second fast track who scored 67. So you were just below the cut off for fast track so there is a very good chance you'll be contacted soon by PSNI. Depending of course how many people scored above you e.g. 66.

People can be cut from the list for various reasons. Such as budget. Like most business budgets go from April-April. So if come April 2019 not everyone in this campaign has been out thriugh and the budget is cut again. They may cut the remaining people from campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

NiK9 wrote: »

Basically the people who were fast tracked were people who scored top marks in the AC. So basically there was no chance if them failing it. So their details were the  passed onto the PSNI to help speed up the process.

But I know someone in the second fast track who scored 67. So you were just below the cut off for fast track so there is a very good chance you'll be contacted soon by PSNI. Depending of course how many people scored above you e.g. 66.

People can be cut from the list for various reasons. Such as budget. Like most business budgets go from April-April. So if come April 2019 not everyone in this campaign has been out thriugh and the budget is cut again. They may cut the remaining people from campaign.
    ELI5 is a popular term on american websites like reddit, it means Explain like I'm five

Basically the people who were fast tracked were people who scored top marks in the AC. So basically there was no chance if them failing it. So their details were the passed onto the PSNI to help speed up the process.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I had no idea it would take as long, I see people from the 1509 campaign are still waiting on 'their call' this year. Side note, I take it the call is them being invited to train?

Roughly what sort of time frame are well looking at? Could It be 2 years before we even get a sniff at GV? I assumed it would all roll a lot faster than this. Peoples lives can change a lot in 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Basically speaking, passing the assessment centre doesn't guarantee an offer of employment. You must still successfully completed the remaining stages (medical, fitness etc) and be in the appointable merit pool. Deepening on how many people pass you could see 400 people in the merit pool but only funding to offer a position to 300. Essentially, well done for passing, you're most likely in, but still have hurdles to jump

• Advertisement

Lily79 wrote: »
    There was 2 groups of people fast tracked , one around mid March and another at the end of March. These were all people who had scored highly at the A.C. At the end of my assessment centre I was given a sheet explaining the rest of the process and it said that th psni could call people early for any of those stages so that's what they have done. The psni must have asked Deloitte to provide them with the details of the highest scorers so they could progress. The first fast track group have completed their pca and medical. The second fast track group completed their pca last week. 65 is a brilliant score so you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure it won't be long to they get round to you since many of the applicants with a higher score have already been processed. Well done and welcome :)

Thanks. Felt great getting that email at work. Cheers for the insight!

Thanks for the prompt reply! I had no idea it would take as long, I see people from the 1509 campaign are still waiting on 'their call' this year. Side note, I take it the call is them being invited to train?

Roughly what sort of time frame are well looking at? Could It be 2 years before we even get a sniff at GV? I assumed it would all roll a lot faster than this. Peoples lives can change a lot in 2 years.

It's hard to guess but it's supposed to be a lot faster than previously. It took me 2 years from application to graduation and 1509 is still going strong. I would imagine this campaign will start in August once marching season is over

Don't think it will be 2 years again. 1509 was rocked by the cheating scandal aswell as the fall of stormount so it slowed the process alot. The process is meant to take 6months from application until the top scorers enter GV. 6 months from when 1710 applications closed is 10th of this month. (10Nov - 10May). And our campaign was also delayed due to IST problems so this campaign is actually running reasonably well on time. The next calls are due week starting the 14th. So again nearly exactly 6 months if some of our campaign get called during it.

It all depends on numbers. The more people who scored higher than you the longer it will take for you to be called forward.
    Even if they start a new recruitment in Autumn 2018 it will be this time next year before any of them have got to this stage. So the low scorers in our campaign have a year to get in.

majgreen wrote: »
    It's hard to guess but it's supposed to be a lot faster than previously. It took me 2 years from application to graduation and 1509 is still going strong. I would imagine this campaign will start in August once marching season is over

When you say the ‘campaign’, do you mean they will have began training their first batch of recruits by then?

When you say the ‘campaign’, do you mean they will have began training their first batch of recruits by then?

Yeah. Most training departments come to a stand still around July because of the parade duties etc. Garnerville also becomes operational during that time meaning officers are in and out more frequently. Its rare to see a course start in July which is why it'll either be June (cutting it fine) or August from what I've seen and heard.

Yeah. Most training departments come to a stand still around July because of the parade duties etc. Garnerville also becomes operational during that time meaning officers are in and out more frequently. Its rare to see a course start in July which is why it'll either be June (cutting it fine) or August from what I've seen and heard.

I reckon June is possible to mop up left over 1509 as Nik9 and few other are appointable once their SMT confirms it.

Just a case of notice periods.

However those who are agency workers, self employed, contractors and students will be on it like a rash.

I reckon June is possible to mop up left over 1509 as Nik9 and few other are appointable once their SMT confirms it.

However those who are agency workers, self employed, contractors and students will be on it like a rash.

Again, pardon my ignorance it when you say appointable, appointable as in being asked to come to training at GV?

It’s not the case that candidates go through the 22 week course and then have to wait for a job is it? Not sure if I would quiet my current job for a situation like that

Again, pardon my ignorance it when you say appointable, appointable as in being asked to come to training at GV?

It’s not the case that candidates go through the 22 week course and then have to wait for a job is it? Not sure if I would quiet my current job for a situation like that

Appointable means get offered employment and start Student Officer Training Programme (SOTP)

They wouldn't invest the resources to teain you if they werent gonna give you a job 😂😂😂

Appointable meaning they have passed everything required to start training

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SW1996

Slightly concerned even though medical and online learning are completed, as my score in the AC was lower than I had anticipated despite being in the first fast track group - not sure whether that is relevant or should I still be called relatively early because everything is complete and good to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 snickett4

SW1996 wrote: »
    Slightly concerned even though medical and online learning are completed, as my score in the AC was lower than I had anticipated despite being in the first fast track group - not sure whether that is relevant or should I still be called relatively early because everything is complete and good to go?
    I'd imagine that you'd still be quite early as you'll literally be ready to go, Whereas someone who scored higher at say the last AC would still have weeks/ months worth of stages to go through. Especially since they seem so keen to get people in ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

As Maj said earlier GV rarely takes intakes over the summer period. Yes they are courses in during the summer but no new ones started.

This should give them enough time to get people through PCA's, vetting, medical, etc. I would imagine new intakes starting in August/September and keep going until you're all in.

Just carry on with your current life, keep the fitness up and the life changing call will come :D

It seems highly counter intuitive to fast track people and then start them in August when, gking by the speed of the process so far atleast a squad of the main body will be ready. And couple will be ready by sept.

I think the Fast track means exactly that.

I'd be surprised if the fast tracked people weren't receiving calls next week to start in June.

Maybe smaller squads over the summer months from fast tracked groups?

I think we'd all be fools to expect the time scales and processes to be the same as 1509 when in fact the evidence suggests otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Who knows? It's possible they could get one in for June but it would likely be the end and as we've seen in recent years new intakes don't start over the summer.

People could get the call before the summer to start in August/September as they did last year.

To start within a year of applying is still pretty fast compared to recent years.

A change for the better.

SW1996 wrote: »

You're well ahead of the crowd so don't be worrying you're ready to go once PSNI receive the SMT results.
    The only thing that may slow down is that if training doesnt start until Aug/sept the second fast track group may have completed everything before you get your call and those who have a higher score, will be called first. But worst case instead of getting in the first 1710 class you may be third or fourth class.
    Well done on passing, now the long wait begins for us who are awaiting calls lol.

So am I right in saying that those of us that got our results on Friday have yet to hear anything further? ie about the PCA, medical etc.

So am I right in saying that those of us that got our results on Friday have yet to hear anything further? ie about the PCA, medical etc.

That's 100% :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheBigLight

Everyone got their AC results on Friday - the fast tracked folk included.

Advertisement