Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't pay for repairs

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

If my tenant smashed a shower door I'd expect them to pay for it. The version of events you describe simply aren't credible.

It just slipped off a roller and the shower door panel just simply exploded. Just like that.

What I'm reading, is "I broke the shower door and expect the landlord to pay for it because *insert barely believable reason why its his fault*"

Shower doors are known to shatter unexplicably. Ours shattered without anyone even being near it. I was downstairs, heard a bang upstairs and went up to find the bathroom floor covered in glass.

Op I'd ask him to go halves and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Ghekko wrote: »
    If my tenant smashed a shower door I'd expect them to pay for it. The version of events you describe simply aren't credible.

It just slipped off a roller and the shower door panel just simply exploded. Just like that.

What I'm reading, is "I broke the shower door and expect the landlord to pay for it because *insert barely believable reason why its his fault*"

Shower doors are known to shatter unexplicably. Ours shattered without anyone even being near it. I was downstairs, heard a bang upstairs and went up to find the bathroom floor covered in glass.

Op I'd ask him to go halves and hope for the best.

Is it too much to ask people to read the thread ?? The door didn't just shatter by itself. The op said it jammed so he used force

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

hawkelady wrote: »
    I'd also imagine engaging a solicitor would cost more that a shower door !!

Not at all. Personal injury solicitors will give you a free consultation where they assess the facts of the case and then make a decision if it is worth taking on. If they feel you have a case then some solicitors will even fund the cost of medio-legal reports which will be deducted from any award that comes further down the line. In the case of scarring a medio-legal report from a good consultant plastic surgeon will cost around a grand so solicitors do not take this risk unless they are sure of liability.

OP without knowing all the facts it is hard to give advice on who is liable here. Some on this thread are adamant that this is all your fault but these people are not solicitors who are qualified to make that judgement. I am aware of a similar case to yours involving a mirror that shattered and the landlord was found liable so I would take what many on here are telling you with a massive pinch of salt. What I would say is that if your injuries from the glass are going to develop into scars then you should definitely speak to a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't see the point of an injury solicitor. OP said cuts. nothing about going to a and e for stitches etc so I'm confident a few plasters sorted the injuries. what would you be claiming for 30minutes of lost time and a small travel first aid kit

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thread is under review.
    If you have pertinent information to offer the OP- please do so- however, please stick with strictly addressing the OP's query and any subsequent feedback they may have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Tigger wrote: »
    Tigger wrote: »
    glass showers are not 30
    year old
    we had a glass shower door on my parents house up to a few years ago. it was aluminium and a yellow 70s textured glass. it was installed around 1985-6 . I'm 31 and they moved in the year before I was born
    shaunr68 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. You made a blanket statement which was wrong. I had a glass shower door 30 years ago. You claimed:

This is incorrect. Try harder if you're attempting to mock people :D

glass shower doors on rollers were no around 30 years ago
    the landlord should fix and be happy

op consult a solicitor

Consult a solicitor ... the OP broke the door. Pay up and move on. Why is it that tenants dont take responsibility for their actions.

Advertisement