Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't pay for repairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,474 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Nope. The landlord might be able to write off the a small portion of the cost. It's not like a business according to revenue and they only allow I think 20 percent.

Anyway its not the landlords problem. Op will pay, even if it comes out of the deposit. The only way to avoid that is to open a dispute now with rtb.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/rental-income/irish-rental-income/what-expenses-are-allowed.aspx

Repairs are an allowable expense. This would include paying someone to fit a new door. If the LL fits it himself he cannot claim for his time.
    He will be able to claim it back from Revenue if he keeps a receipt.
    Might as well keep tenant happy and pay up, it will go to Revenue anyway at the end of the tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

The best of both worlds is to go 50/50 on this. Landlord can then expense it so he pays a minimal amount and it only costs you half the amount. At least this way you avoid confrontation and this isn’t one of these things that would normally brake down in such a manner without some extra force

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

You won't get much help here op. The forum seems to be teeming with overzealous landlords. I would get it repaired and take it out of the rent. Keep the receipts if the landlord decides to open a dispute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,929 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

OnDraught wrote:
    Do most decent landlords not carry out regular inspections to ensure the property is up to standards. Sounds like they didn't in this case.

Your not getting it. You rent the property after you inspect it. You then move in and you inspect it some more. Your lease that you sign says that you will notify the landlord of any defects or wear and tear. I'm not getting into who's fault this particular case is but had the landlord been told about rusty wheels he would have the option to replace the wheels instead of the whole door. If the landlord didn't replace the wheels when told about them then he is liable. If a tenant fails in their duty to notify the landlord about the wear and tear on the wheels how is it his fault when it actually breaks.

Gijoseph wrote: »
    You won't get much help here op. The forum seems to be teeming with overzealous landlords. I would get it repaired and take it out of the rent. Keep the receipts if the landlord decides to open a dispute.

Please don't withhold rent. It's not a good idea.

• Advertisement

Gijoseph wrote: »

Do not follow this persons advice, he doesnt know the rules whatsoever. Never take money out of the rent due or you would fall into rent arrears and face eviction. If you believe you are not at fault, raise a rtb case. Not every ll is overzealous as you say, maybe some common sense here that if it was closed with normal force something like this wouldnt happen or as another poster mentioned if something is not reported to ll, it would be the tenants fault.

elperello wrote:
    Repairs are an allowable expense. This would include paying someone to fit a new door. If the LL fits it himself he cannot claim for his time. He will be able to claim it back from Revenue if he keeps a receipt. Might as well keep tenant happy and pay up, it will go to Revenue anyway at the end of the tax year.

I know that repair is an allowable expense. If a new door costs 400 Euro supplied and fitted he doesn't get 400 back from revenue. He gets a portion of it.

Your original statement suggests that it wont cost the landlord anything. He will be hundreds out of pocket even after tax relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Your not getting it. You rent the property after you inspect it. You then move in and you inspect it some more. Your lease that you sign says that you will notify the landlord of any defects or wear and tear. I'm not getting into who's fault this particular case is but had the landlord been told about rusty wheels he would have the option to replace the wheels instead of the whole door. If the landlord didn't replace the wheels when told about them then he is liable. If a tenant fails in their duty to notify the landlord about the wear and tear on the wheels how is it his fault when it actually breaks.

That's fair enough but in the op's case rust building up on something that is in daily contact with water can hardly be expected and was probably not very visible when the door was in place. It is clearly a substandard and ultimately dangerous fitting. I'd be falling over myself to replace it if I was the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

OnDraught wrote: »
    Do most decent landlords not carry out regular inspections to ensure the property is up to standards. Sounds like they didn't in this case.

"Surely", such entitlement :rolleyes:

You smashed the shower door, pay for the repair, simple.

It takes some force to smash a shower door.

You haven't come here for advice, you are looking for people to side with you. You have an issue with anybody who doesn't share your opinion.

Gijoseph wrote:

Op has gotten good advice from landlords here. I already suggested opening a dispute. This is the only legal way to handle it. Your suggestion of withholding rent or deducting it from the rent is against the lease. Op will almost certainly ruin any chance of winning the dispute by taking this action. Also the landlord will just take it out of the deposit so Op will be no better off. The only way to handle this is to open a dispute

• Advertisement

"Surely", such entitlement :rolleyes:

You smashed the shower door, pay for the repair, simple.

It takes some force to smash a shower door.

There was rust on the wheels. Nothing to do with force.

OnDraught wrote:
    That's fair enough but in the op's case rust building up on something that is in daily contact with water can hardly be expected and was probably not very visible when the door was in place. It is clearly a substandard and ultimately dangerous fitting. I'd be falling over myself to replace it if I was the landlord.

You are talking about something that you haven't seen. I am a shower repair guy. I'm in dozens of showers per week. First off Op says rusty wheels. Have a look at the wheels of your own shower. Shower doors don't have parts that rust Inc the wheels. A shower door company wouldn't be in business long if the parts rusted.

I'm gobsmacked that you can describe something that you've never seen as clearly substandard and dangerous.

You are talking about something that you haven't seen. I am a shower repair guy. I'm in dozens of showers per week. First off Op says rusty wheels. Have a look at the wheels of your own shower. Shower doors don't have parts that rust Inc the wheels. A shower door company wouldn't be in business long if the parts rusted.

I'm gobsmacked that you can describe something that you've never seen as clearly substandard and dangerous.

I'm not describing anything. I'm taking the op at their word. Not much point in responding to this thread if you need to see the damage yourself in fairness.

The concept didn't sound so unbelievable to you earlier and you are the expert.
    I'm not getting into who's fault this particular case is but had the landlord been told about rusty wheels he would have the option to replace the wheels instead of the whole door.

I know that repair is an allowable expense. If a new door costs 400 Euro supplied and fitted he doesn't get 400 back from revenue. He gets a portion of it.

Your original statement suggests that it wont cost the landlord anything. He will be hundreds out of pocket even after tax relief.

The entire amount paid in the year can be claimed. The documents relating to these costs must be retained for a period of 6 years, as per Revenue.

http://www.rentalincome.ie/tax-allowable-expenses/repairs/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I'm not describing anything. I'm taking the op at their word. Not much point in responding to this thread if you need to see the damage yourself in fairness.

in fairness the op is saying the wheels are rusty. these parts are made from stainless steel and plastic. at least any I have seen.
    I would like to see the damage before I rule it out but it unlikely to be rust.
    probably years of dirt that have seized the bearings and the wheels have worn enough that they could come out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Op views the property then moves in. From that point on the tenant has an obligation to report any maintenance issues. The landlord can't replace rusty wheels if the tenant doesn't bring it to his attention.

It's possible that the shower door is 30 years old and was due to be retired and it's possible that the Op was a bit heavy handed. None of us here can tell for sure.

Op if landlord won't pay and you believe that he should, the only option is to open a dispute. Take lots of photos of the wheels and try keep one for the dispute. The arbitrator is the only one you will need to convince. There's no point getting more stressed trying to convince us.
    glass showers are not 30
    year old

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

elperello wrote: »
    The entire amount paid in the year can be claimed. The documents relating to these costs must be retained for a period of 6 years, as per Revenue.

That doesn't mean the landlord gets €400 back from revenue.

Yea the entire amount can be expenses however it still costs landlords money

in fairness the op is saying the wheels are rusty. these parts are made from stainless steel and plastic. at least any I have seen.
    I would like to see the damage before I rule it out but it unlikely to be rust.
    probably years of dirt that have seized the bearings and the wheels have worn enough that they could come out

If that is the case it doesn't sound like something the op should be paying for.

Tigger wrote: »
    glass showers are not 30
    year old

we had a glass shower door on my parents house up to a few years ago. it was aluminium and a yellow 70s textured glass. it was installed around 1985-6 . I'm 31 and they moved in the year before I was born

• Advertisement

If that is the case it doesn't sound like something the op should be paying for.

I'm not saying they should in that case

Graham wrote: »
    That doesn't mean the landlord gets €400 back from revenue.

You are right he won't "get it back" it is a deduction before he calculates his tax.

we had a glass shower door on my parents house up to a few years ago. it was aluminium and a yellow 70s textured glass. it was installed around 1985-6 . I'm 31 and they moved in the year before I was born

on rollers?

on rollers?

cant remember .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You are right he won't "get it back" it is a deduction before he calculates his tax.

Yes, in the same way your employer giving you a €400 pay cut may save you €200 in tax.

cant remember .

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

lol
    Don't be silly. You made a blanket statement which was wrong. I had a glass shower door 30 years ago. You claimed:
    glass showers are not 30
    year old
    This is incorrect. Try harder if you're attempting to mock people :D

Graham wrote: »
    Yes, in the same way your employer giving you a €400 pay cut may save you €200 in tax.

Repairs along with other expenses are deducted from total income. You pay tax at your rate on the net income.

glass showers are not 30
    year old
    shaunr68 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. You made a blanket statement which was wrong. I had a glass shower door 30 years ago. You claimed:

This is incorrect. Try harder if you're attempting to mock people :D

glass shower doors on rollers were no around 30 years ago
    the landlord should fix and be happy

op consult a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Gijoseph

Not only overzealous but they seem to be sensitive little snowflakes. Isn't that right graham?

Advertisement