Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

jon1981 wrote: »
    I ruined myself.
    I hear ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've been in a food coma for the last few hours. Watched Paddington on rte and onto beauty and the beast now with some chocolates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I hid all the crisps so I can have them over the next few days.

Was ill during the night so i’m on very light food today. Which is terrible because of the all the nice food around me but i’m just not up to it yet. To be honest, i’m happy with my bottle of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,403 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always find it weird watching the soaps on Christmas Day. The day is nearly over and you watch all these people starting all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ate my own bodyweight today... off to bed now after watching the gavin and stacey special... cracking!
    Hope everyone had the day they hoped for.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,578 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Couldn't fit it in yesterday but I get to start on the christmas pudding and brandy cream this evening :D

My stomach is rumbling furiously in agreement :pac:

No pudding in my house yesterday either. Everyone was too full/in a coma!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You are waaaaaaaay ahead of me! The Christmas pudding is in the fridge, safe for now, and I am indulging in a double chocolate swiss roll/log. Just rescued it from the felines... Also have a Belgian Choc pudding as back up .... oh and three more boxes of mince pies.. Well, they were all but giving food away!

And the weather is so utterly appalling...

Couldn't fit it in yesterday but I get to start on the christmas pudding and brandy cream this evening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,403 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Happy St Stephen's Day!

Happy St Stephen's Day!

aka Boxing Day!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Graces7 wrote: »
    aka Boxing Day!

Also called Boxing Day in Canada if I`m not mistaken. I doubt that too many outside of the 6 counties in the north refer to it by that name here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The pudding was spared any assault yesterday but the first one is almost gone this morning. 4lb of pudding scoffed by a hoard of grandchildren, while the adults made decent inroads into the mince pies.

Also called Boxing Day in Canada if I`m not mistaken. I doubt that too many outside of the 6 counties in the north refer to it by that name here though.

Confined to old British empire locations and a bit in Donegal.

Happy St. Stephen's Day all. It's almost better than Christmas day here, with more emphasis on sweet treats and games.

Polished off the baileys cheesecake earlier with a cup of coffee... about a billion calories but sod it, dont do it any other time of year.

Now, where did I leave the mince pies...?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That is OK.

over 60 years of UK Boxing Day .... and i have faith family in Canada so fine...
    Works for me. I still use St Stephen's if need be ie with anyone else so am politically correct . But to me it is Boxing Day.

The label Boxing Day works for us too.... . the day when tradesmen would visit their customers to collect their Christmas " boxes" ie extra cash/tips

St Stephen was the first Christian martyr. Stoned to death. Tomorrow we remember Holy Innocents, the slaughter of all baby boys.. the day after that , Thomas A Becket. murdered for his faith .

Also called Boxing Daoy in Canada if I`m not mistaken. I doubt that too many outside of the 6 counties in the north refer to it by that name here though.

It's St Stephen's Day here, end of, please and thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Happy St. Stephen's Day all. It's almost better than Christmas day here, with more emphasis on sweet treats and games.

Yeah I always find this day is quieter nowadays than when I was younger. No more horse racing or football matches anymore for me.
    Instead I spend the day in the sofa watching the kids play with their new toys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And sport and relaxing.

Love St. Stephen’s Day.

Christmas Day dinner number 2 polished off at 1pm followed by the amazing ALDI dessert which was so reasonably priced it goes to show you can eat well without spending a bomb as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

DvB wrote: »
    Now, where did I leave the mince pies...?

I was minding them for you.... but something must've happened (ants, probably) when I averted my eyes, 'cause 5 of them have just vanished...

Just finished the 2nd full Christmas dinner. Lord, but I love Brussel Sprout!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Just finished the 2nd full Christmas dinner. Lord, but I love Brussel Sprout!

You’ll have a gassy auld hole on you by the sounds of it !

You’ll have a gassy auld hole on you by the sounds of it !

Not if they're cooked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hate this mild weather :(

xmas should be cold & icy, not t-shirt weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Ahhh! Back in work :)
    It's only for a few hours but i so didn't want to get up this morning. Hope everyone else is snuggled up in their beds.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's only for a few hours but i so didn't want to get up this morning. Hope everyone else is snuggled up in their beds.
    No :(

I'll see you there. Whoever gets there first puts on the kettle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I am snuggled up in my bed. Sorry.

I'm off until Tuesday. It is unusual that I'd have this much time off- it's just the way it's fallen with the weekend coming after the 27th, plus I got lucky and was allowed to take an extra annual leave day. :)

After the sheer chaos of work this last few weeks, I am relishing this break!!

Went out for a run this morning after a week of eating and drinking and must admit it was one of the hardest runs I've had all year, I had zero energy and felt like I was carrying a concrete block or such like. Must try and get back into a decent training regime again asap as it's so easy to kick back and just keep eating treats.

Anyway that's a week away LOL.

On a separate note, was disappointed when flicking through the music channels to see MTV Christmas has already departed our screens as of this morning, VH1 and Starz are still there for now but I hate the fact it all seems to end as of today for alot of people. I appreciate alot of people are back in work but Christmas is far from over so why the rush to move on so soon?

Anyway, out with the in laws today for a festive lunch and a few drinks and another night out planned for tomorrow so we'll be rocking Christmas for a few more days at least!

I have promised the dog a long walk today and fear that she will hold me to it! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hey guys. Bit of a muted Christmas here. I was a bit unwell but my mum was sick in bed from Christmas eve at about 3pm until pretty much now. And that's just unheard of for her. So Christmas was much lower key than normal. We didn't go to my parents house in around noon like we always would, we waited until around half 3 so my mum could try have a nap without S being loud and excited around the house. But she was still sick and stayed in bed with a half eaten piece of toast while the rest of us did all our traditional Christmas Day stuff for S's sake. If she's up to it today we might do a family dinner today otherwise it will be after we get back from visiting the in laws Dublin on Monday.

S is still happy out. He was going crazy with excitement on the lead up to the big day and was super happy with Christmas morning. He's now really looking forward to all the Christmas stuff we have planned in Dublin. He doesn't know it but we're going to that new buffet place with unlimited pancakes, waffles, candy floss and deep fried ice-cream (as well as many, many non-dessert foods:)) on Saturday, so that will be a complete and utter thrill. I'm looking forward to it too, but my generally very healthy diet has gone to pot since he got sick in September, so I'm actually really, really looking forward to starting back into healthy eating habits come January. I'm finished with the SNA course so will hopefully have more time and less stress in 2020!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement