Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

Loughc wrote: »
    Christmas movies are best enjoyed all year round. Scientific fact ;)

As the Christmas moderator, that's practically as good as an endorsement from Santa himself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This Christmas will be different for me. Although I have been islanded for over two years, the last two I was still driving on the mainland, shopping there etc.

My first Christmas here was hilarious... the small ferry does a special last minute shopping trip. One neighbour buys a turkey ready cooked; I think her oven is too small... so there were, hot turkey and all, as the weather disintegrated around us.
    waves breaking across the open boat!

as we neared the island I called out, " Home for Christmas!" and everyone cracked a smile and laughed.

There are no Christmas events here and that is fine with me. My focus is the Christchild. And I love the time I close the doors on the world as families here gather for precious times together.

This year I am islandbound and almost housebound, So, ingenuity with my small traditions.... it stops me feeling isolated too in that bad way ..Love my island life! Last year I bought a tree; metal it is! It was made with candle holders on each branch.. a charity shop find.. I dress it and it goes on my gate post, and a huge star on the big fuchsia.. tinsel fluttering....stands against the strongest breeze..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I can't stop thinking about Christmas the last few days and getting all excited so of course I had to pop in here! I can't wait to see the first post in the Christmas tree thread! I think I'm going to try to get mine up earlier this year. I usually wait until mid December. When is it appropriate to start watching Christmas movies? :) Christmas :)
    I try and tree in late November, so I get a good month out of it. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some Sunday stats for ye guys, as it stand with 2 days to go in the month, I'm excluding today for stats purposes, we have 114 posts more than this month last year, and we are up by 535 posts year to date as well.

That is a crazy amount of posts for September, so well done everyone and as it stands we are on course to break 1,000 posts this month which usually doesn't happen until November.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Some Sunday stats for ye guys, as it stand with 2 days to go in the month, I'm excluding today for stats purposes, we have 114 posts more than this month last year, and we are up by 535 posts year to date as well.

That is a crazy amount of posts for September, so well done everyone and as it stands we are on course to break 1,000 posts this month which usually doesn't happen until November.

YAY, a stats post... Love it!!
    Great to see numbers are on the up too, testament to how welcoming & friendly it is in here.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Hi all long time no post. I am absolutely delighted with life I managed to get tickets for the santa special steam train eeeccck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Good work! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

DvB wrote: »
    dont think anyone likes the rain to be fair.
    I'm in Arizona occasionally for work, I remember telling a waitress at my hotel I was from Ireland and she said she'd been there but was really disappointed it didn't rain during her trip as she'd heard Irish rain was beautiful (:confused:) I suppose when you live in a desert the rain must sound pretty appealing!

This will be my first autumn/winter living in Canada - thanksgiving is in a few weeks and we'll be doing a turkey, so it'll feel like Christmas dinner to me! (but with squash instead of brussels sprouts)

I've been getting Halloween decorations and some shops sell what is basically Christmas stuff but with a Halloween slant... I bought black Halloween tinsel with purple bats in it, but drew the line at Halloween crackers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Morning elves. Properly cold and foggy out there this morning. Perfect Christmas weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Great to hear things are going from strength to strength and as DvB said is a testament to all the great posters creating such a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We put up the Hallowe'en decs yesterday - last set of decorations before Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Came across this on fb there.

71170920_10218670690052898_8260934260265844736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQnclpgBFIo54zRP7GTfJWvZ-I-cE4QMsCUn7fQjFqe6s6faByRp7HSroKygq1KUcHo&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-2.fna&oh=5e4ac86c60ff82b07be904e9c6dc77f8&oe=5DF660FB

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Morning elves. Properly cold and foggy out there this morning. Perfect Christmas weather.

I saw stars in the sky last night the sky was so clear. It’s rare getting to see stars up here in Dublin.

A cold clear sky night always makes me feel Christmassy.

If anyone is with Three, there’s a free Butlers hot chocolate on the app.

If anyone is with Three, there’s a free Butlers hot chocolate on the app.

Thank you for this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lindt are opening a shop in Kildare Village on October 5th!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

h24511CE6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I saw a Christmas advert today. It was for spar/ Eurostar Northern Ireland today. Wasn’t expecting it at all.

Wow October already, it really is getting so close now. :)

Wow October Toto's birthday month already, it really is getting so close now. :)

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

Happy Birthmonth Toto!!

Staph wrote: »
    Happy Birthmonth Toto!!

Thanks. :D I like to milk it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Birthday Month - enjoy!

FYP

Ah but of course!! :D

Happy-Birthday-Month_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

491988.jpeg

We ended the month with 174 more than last September and now 595 up on last year and as expected we smashed the 1,000 post mark, 2 months earlier than normal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Jude13

Wait until the quality street vrs rose debate drops again this year, we will smash the records.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Wait until the quality street vrs rose debate drops again this year, we will smash the records.

Stop with the way the sweet are going it'll be hard to defend any of them! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »

Not to mention, if 'Die Hard' is a real Christmas movie or not..............internet will explode :D

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Not to mention, if 'Die Hard' is a real Christmas movie or not..............internet will explode :D

Because everyone knows it is one... :pac:

As is Gremlins... :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement