Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me hopping in here, 1st year in new home and potentially having 16 for dinner!
    Hi CeeCeeBloom, you are very welcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In our house we never really got into a big panic about cooking the Christmas dinner.
    We don't really bother with a starter tough but the dinner it's self wouldn't phase us really.
    Generally my mother or myself would do most of it and some of the preparation would be done on Christmas Eve.
    We don't like guests to cook tough because they'd end up fighting with one another. So, it's a lot easier if they do nothing.

We're unsure about what to do for a turkey this year. We'd have crown a few times during the year but have always got the big turkey for Christmas day but the legs aren't really ate to be honest.(I'd normally have a go at one).
    We were thinking of getting two crowns and cooking one on Christmas Eve and another on Christmas Day because some like it hot and some like it cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,193 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're unsure about what to do for a turkey this year. We'd have crown a few times during the year but have always got the big turkey for Christmas day but the legs aren't really ate to be honest.(I'd normally have a go at one).
    We were thinking of getting two crowns and cooking one on Christmas Eve and another on Christmas Day because some like it hot and some like it cold.

I got ours boned & rolled 2 years ago, and I'll be doing the same again this year, not a morsel was wasted. They gave us the option of keeping the legs separately but no one touches them in ours & we cooked them separately took what meat we could off them & gave it to my sisters dogs!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I got ours boned & rolled 2 years ago, and I'll be doing the same again this year, not a morsel was wasted. They gave us the option of keeping the legs separately but no one touches them in ours & we cooked them separately took what meat we could off them & gave it to my sisters dogs!

We got a boned and rolled turkey for a bank holiday weekend before and we weren't really into it to be honest.

Starbucks new cups !

Haven't had one of their coffees in ages though (lately have been drinking Mokas from a local independent place)

starbucks-green-confetti-tumbler-today-main-190925_25ef23f08166e2867d4473c133284d48.fit-1240w.jpg

• Advertisement

We got a boned and rolled turkey for a bank holiday weekend before and we weren't really into it to be honest.

Just a suggestion, each to their own & all that good stuff.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Just a suggestion, each to their own & all that good stuff.

Sorry if I came across as a bit brash!

Every year we have the same debate and we normally just end up with a Turkey.

Yesterday "the internet" was going crazy about BBC's Dan Walker Tweeting the pic of a mince pie.

EFUB3a-XYAYkdsf?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/mrdanwalker/status/1176848937795432448

Today "the internet" is going crazy about Aldi's two metre long pig in blanket

11116630_TheSupportingCast_2metre-Sausage-e1569505175822.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think I'll stop reading the Independent....
    Look, the kids have literally only just gone back to school.
    Several shops were advertising BACK TO SCHOOL OFFERS at the end of June before the kids had actually even started their holidays.
    The humanity!

lQ3i5CM.jpg?1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

TRS30 wrote: »
    Never knew there was a traditional day for putting up decorations. Every day is a school day as they say.
    It was always the 8th December when I was growing up. It is the same date as the Big Shopping Day.
    Hey guys, hope you don't mind me hopping in here, 1st year in new home and potentially having 16 for dinner! So excited we have spent the last 10yrs going between my folks & his folks.
    Welcome along! Why would we mind? This is the friendliest place on boards. Even grinches get a mince pie and a glass of milk as we gently shut the door on them. :pac:

Same here. Always a question of getting boned and rolled, or a turkey crown, then we just get the usual run of the mill turkey.
    Although last year went out of my way getting a bronze turkey and it was only meh so won't bother with that again. I also might do the turkey and ham this year on Christmas Eve, along with a lot of the food prep, so there's not so much Kitchen Time on the big day itself.

• Advertisement

Sorry if I came across as a bit brash!

Not at all.
    I fully appreciate all have our own likes & dislikes, I'm as bad as anyone for that, trust me.

We just had the same standard turkey for years as guests in others & it seemed like loads of work getting it 'right' & there always seemed to be loads being binned (probably just the carcass in reality) so when my mum got a boned & rolled one on one occasion & it tasted great we all thought it was great, did the same in 2017 & everyone loved it, no wastage at all too, hence knowing I'll go down that route again this year without a shadow of a doubt.

Cured ham as well... already has my mouth watering thinking of them both:)

Posy wrote: »
    Although last year went out of my way getting a bronze turkey and it was only meh so won't bother with that again. I also might do the turkey and ham this year on Christmas Eve, along with a lot of the food prep, so there's not so much Kitchen Time on the big day itself.

We did the same last year. We spent a good bit on a bronze turkey and it didn't blow anybody away!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Welcome along! Why would we mind? This is the friendliest place on boards. Even grinches get a mince pie and a glass of milk as we gently shut the door on them. :pac:

I lol’d way too hard at this :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

C1Ro0Bx.jpg

I need this.

We're into the 80's!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We're into the 80's!

What a decade! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

They gave us the option of keeping the legs separately but no one touches them in ours & we cooked them separately took what meat we could off them & gave it to my sisters dogs!

You could use the legs for soup? I normally freeze mine (cooked) and then whip them back out on some cold February day and make turkey soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just hauled some Santa gifts into the attic. Went to Smyths and had taken note of the prices before their sale in case they mysteriously went up in price before their discount was applied! It was busy with lots of Santa shopping being done. Love how the stick is slowly taking over shelf space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I don't think Smyths are too bad at that. Argos on the other hand put the price of everything up right before the 3 for 2 sale!

71185272_2411862922469648_8434433355428134912_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQmkLki5ZQxXY59cH2IvJ7oZbj8HKOpU_ZlCLPF5QsCEfbQGbE9z49erMc3Lm7PamPk&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=08afae45dc7b2eeafd7305a7eb2a1f0a&oe=5E2CD96E

71316376_2411862995802974_1245380927740182528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQlJkd8aE_flUg8PnPyo5aFzcGwWTjHX9GT3DRI6tcKXvKYV7t9Vw4NJvYNm9Ujw5j0&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=6add1a546d49da6dd3be2bd6aa604d9b&oe=5DF51375

70754337_2411863092469631_5763973023220629504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQk7LVZ_fiz6xnIdmxIWzmfozh6J2W9irOR3NCDE4UjocSCDeJ3SytPl7LQJKUDy4IU&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=46fb292f65bfa55c13d51d8458faa779&oe=5E3D9D84

• Advertisement

I can't wait for it to be October for some reason!

I can't wait for it to be October for some reason!

I’m only looking forward to October for the bank holiday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

I bought the quality street...I couldn't resist!! I now feel sick but I've no regrets :D

jellybear wrote: »
    I bought the quality street...I couldn't resist!! I now feel sick but I've no regrets :D

How's the new sweet?

I like the look of this!
    70888681_2614603281938371_5371702802399625216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_oc=AQl1rLsB6HiDQliP2mXOWid6SHV9gzz9pf70jIdcXMWeRPPKZjL095fktXA6FoE2OdY&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=047831c176593947c355ded07af52281&oe=5DFDD229

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

^ where did you see that :eek: I think I’m in love

Autosport wrote: »
    ^ where did you see that :eek: I think I’m in love

I saw it somewhere on Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭jellybear

How's the new sweet?

The brownie caramel one? I never thought I'd say this but too sickly sweet!! Miss the toffee deluxe :(

I can't stop thinking about Christmas the last few days and getting all excited so of course I had to pop in here! I can't wait to see the first post in the Christmas tree thread! I think I'm going to try to get mine up earlier this year. I usually wait until mid December. When is it appropriate to start watching Christmas movies? :) Christmas :)

• Advertisement

I can't stop thinking about Christmas the last few days and getting all excited so of course I had to pop in here! I can't wait to see the first post in the Christmas tree thread! I think I'm going to try to get mine up earlier this year. I usually wait until mid December. When is it appropriate to start watching Christmas movies? :) Christmas :)

Christmas movies are best enjoyed all year round. Scientific fact ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement