Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‪Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IX: The Last Jordi [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,167 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The Irish Times produced this graphic of the head to head stats between Scarlets and Leinster in their CC campaigns so far.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Very similar stats.

The place kicking stats are a bit skewed by Ross Byrne having only 62% success rate. Jonny Sexton and Isa Nacewa have 88% and 90% respectively.

jack01986 wrote: »
    Very similar stats.
    Some vital ones aren't though. 3.6 tries v 3.0 per game is actually 20% more. 50% more carries and defenders beaten and 25% less penalties conceded as well as a similar percentage of less turnovers conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm just going to say it.

If you look at how Scarlets made such easy ground against us last year, then we're better off without Lowe.

Yeah, we'll lose his ability to score from very unlikely situations, but if we keep our defence tight, we shouldn't need it.

Lowe is a selection that, tactically, is a "we'll score two if you score one" approach. I'd pick him if available but there's no doubt I'd have a little bit of apprehension about him defensively here. With that said, he looked sharper against Saracens and I think he also brings a lot of enthusiasm and energy to the team defensively. You could see him visibly celebrating any turnover, slapping players on the back and roaring at them. It's a big boost to have someone like that. He was badly exposed by the Scarlets once or twice earlier this season already so it's hard to know how he'd go there but having RK behind him would be a big boost, I reckon.

I look back at last season's semi final and there's no doubt our back three selection hurt us. Carbery and Byrne both struggled defensively. I think that Kearney being back there will give us a little more confidence and nous positionally as well as a big talker which will be huge.

McFadden is someone I am ambivalent about in so far as I know he'll bring a lot to the table but will lack in other areas. Watching the second half of the Saracens game though last night, I was heartened. He had a huge final quarter, throwing himself into tackles. When Wray made that massive break after their try, it was McFadden who stepped in to perfection to make a shuddering hit and kill the attack. When Leavy counter rucked, it was McFadden who saw the ball out and launched himself on it to claim the turnover (when McCarthy kicked out on the full).

So, all in all, I'm fairly happy about our back three selection. I'm as nervous about Nacewa as anyone to be honest given his age and lack of game time this season on the wing but that's probably nit picking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we might have to acknowledge that Lowe's defensive contribution is not the same today as it was a few weeks ago. And it's certainly not even close to what it was when he arrived. So might be worth not making a final determination as to his perceived ineptitude until he's finished settling in. Certainly didn't look like a weakness against Saracens at all.

I think we might have to acknowledge that Lowe's defensive contribution is not the same today as it was a few weeks ago. And it's certainly not even close to what it was when he arrived. So might be worth not making a final determination as to his perceived ineptitude until he's finished settling in. Certainly didn't look like a weakness against Saracens at all.
    Yeah. He's a very good player and is learning fast. And it's not just his attacking and improving defensive efforts that we're missing. His infectious enthusiasm is, well... infectious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Yeah, he was rock solid against Saracens and has improved immensely - but in his previous game (against the Scarlets), he shot up and flapped at his man, leading to a try.

It's not a final determination, but right now, for a game tomorrow, he's still a bit of question mark defensively.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

He did a decent interview recently where he talked about training, and in it he seemed to suggest that Leinster training is very verbal. He even went as far as saying "all these guys went to private schools and when they're told what to do they just know how to do it". He mentioned how back at the Cheifs they had a big tactics board they used to show formations, and he was a more visual learner that way. At Leinster he had to adapt by watching drills before taking part.

To me it sounded like we didn't just have a different defensive culture that was hard for him to learn, but a different training culture that made the task of learning it harder still.

errlloyd wrote: »
    He did a decent interview recently where he talked about training, and in it he seemed to suggest that Leinster training is very verbal. He even went as far as saying "all these guys went to private schools and when they're told what to do they just know how to do it". He mentioned how back at the Cheifs they had a big tactics board they used to show formations, and he was a more visual learner that way. At Leinster he had to adapt by watching drills before taking part.

To me it sounded like we didn't just have a different defensive culture that was hard for him to learn, but a different training culture that made the task of learning it harder still.
    Well clearly he's already fitted into the Irish mould of complaining about private schools. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

He probably struggled with the language as well. All the different accents must have been confusing for a young lad from the kiwi countryside. He admitted only a few weeks ago that he's still learning names.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    He probably struggled with the language as well. All the different accents must have been confusing for a young lad from the kiwi countryside. He admitted only a few weeks ago that he's still learning names.
    Ah that was more about knowing the nicknames before the names. 'Porridge'. :D

Adam Byrne with the A team so it appears Daly is covering the senior side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Nothing in the Leinster A lineup to hint at selection suprises for the seniors https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leinster-a-team-face-jersey-british-irish-cup-semi-final/

Adam Byrne the biggest name starting, but I don't think any of us thought he'd be involved.

Strong academy side. 13 of the 15 starters have played with the senior team.

Daly and Doris both back from injury in the 23

Buer wrote: »
    Adam Byrne with the A team so it appears Daly is covering the senior side.

I still think Daly will be on water boy duty along with ROL.

Larmour is the ideal 23 man for this game I think

Sexton captain but Isa starting?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Great to see Henshaw fit and starting. Conan is on the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery covering 10 also.

Hopefully this settles the argument.

As rumoured, Halfpenny on the wing, Patchell to 15 and Dan Jones starts at 10 for the Scarlets. 6/2 split on the bench.

• Advertisement

Biggest game of Ross Molonys career.

Hope he is up to the task.

Look to be keeping it tight I reckon and try bully the Scarlets pack

Biggest game of Ross Molonys career.

Hope he is up to the task.

Look to be keeping it tight I reckon and try bully the Scarlets pack

He only comes on if it's late in the game, the result is already decided or we get two injuries to Fardy/Toner/Ryan.

Buer wrote: »
    He only comes on if it's late in the game, the result is already decided or we get two injuries to Fardy/Toner/Ryan.

Yeah I reckon he's keeping the bench warm.

I have full faith in Dev, Ryan and Fardy lasing the 80 assuming no injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Some vital ones aren't though. 3.6 tries v 3.0 per game is actually 20% more. 50% more carries and defenders beaten and 25% less penalties conceded as well as a similar percentage of less turnovers conceded.

Stats achieved in games against

Exeter
    Glasgow
    Montpellier
    Saracens

as opposed to

Bath
    Treviso
    Toulon
    La Rochelle

That is the big factor missing in those stats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Clegg wrote: »

Madigan vs Jackson.

Stats achieved in games against

Exeter
    Glasgow
    Montpellier
    Saracens

as opposed to

Bath
    Treviso
    Toulon
    La Rochelle

That is the big factor missing in those stats
    Plus Scarlets lost their first two games iirc.

Clegg wrote: »

The only 10 argument that got settled this year was settled when Sexton slotted that drop goal against France and became our best ever outhalf.

Mods may as well edit the charter now, because it's not even a debate anymore. :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Interesting that Jonny is captain instead of Isa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Really don’t agree with sexton as captain TBH. Just don’t think he’s cut out for it temperament wise. Probably would have given it to either Isa or James Ryan, despite his youth.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Really don’t agree with sexton as captain TBH. Just don’t think he’s cut out for it temperament wise. Probably would have given it to either Isa or James Ryan, despite his youth.

Can you imagine. The hype train would actually go full back to the future and take the **** off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement