Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

JPA wrote: »
    Surely the Rex is just a glorified generator, therefore not driving the wheels, therefore not limiting the speed?

So talk of it being 33bhp is irrelevant no?

The question is can it generate energy faster the car consumes it? Seemingly it can.

Energy in can't exceed energy out. The 33bhp works in conjunction with the battery reserve to output more than 33bhp. Eventually the battery reserve will run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JPA wrote: »
    The question is can it generate energy faster the car consumes it? Seemingly it can.

That depends how fast the car is consuming it.

Drive at 120 on the motorway in a headwind and rain and the REx will absolutely not maintain your SOC. It will slowly decrease.

Rex battery will slowly decrease yes but here's the thing, if you are in Rex mode at say 20 - 75% then it will drop and not charge up again but if the battery is at a low SOC it will charge up again, for instance when I was travelling at 120 Km/h for about 50-60 kms Rex at only 6% lowest I saw was 4% and this was wet and cold, once load decreased a bit battery charged back up to 7% etc and when going slower it will charge back to about 8% or slightly more.

Remember the 94 ah Rex is more powerful than in the 64 ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

170 odd Kms + or - then 100-130 Km range on Rex ,

Is that for the 94ah?

I test drove a brand new 94ah for three days and it was showing a 200km range (or maybe even a little higher). It seemed pretty accurate based on conservative driving style.

I was tempted, but not sure how these will hold up value in say 3 years time when 400+ km range become the norm.

Why would you buy a 200km range second hand car when you can buy a 400+km range second hand car? On top of that you are paying a premium for BMW badge, so the scope of depreciation is even greater.

It seems high risk at the moment. Two or three years ago, less high risk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was tempted, but not sure how these will hold up value in say 13 years time when 400+ km range become the norm.

FYP, and I'm being serious

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    FYP, and I'm being serious

Won't other manufacturers be following Hyundai\KIA over next 3 years with 300+ and 400+ range?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I drove from Naas to Youghal yesterday with my new car and wanted to test it.
    Thats 212km.
    After 127km motorway @120kmph and 28km @~100kmph the rex kicked in at 6% and took me the remaining 57km home.

So that's about 160km range from battery?

How much would you squeeze out if you kept it to 100kph?

My longest drive would be about 250km. If the battery degraded even a little I'd not make it on one tank.

My longest drive would be about 250km. If the battery degraded even a little I'd not make it on one tank.

It's not like you have to charge for 30 mins , fill it up before you run out lol. ;)

It's not like you have to charge for 30 mins , fill it up before you run out lol. ;)

I agree. This is why I'm so tempted with the i3. I would be stopping half way anyhow, so it wouldn't be a problem in reality as I could have REX on early and top up the tank.

As others mentioned, nothing stopping me carrying a jerry can in the boot.

The only thing really stopping me is the concern about sell on value in three years time. I'd be going for a 94A (late 2016 or 2017) from main dealer.

I know everyone says "look at how older EV's are holding their value". But I think the 300+ and 400+ range cars will dramatically changes the market, it'll make <200km range cars extremely unattractive. This is based on nothing but a feeling, so I could be very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

I agree. This is why I'm so tempted with the i3. I would be stopping half way anyhow, so it wouldn't be a problem in reality as I could have REX on early and top up the tank.

As others mentioned, nothing stopping me carrying a jerry can in the boot.

The only thing really stopping me is the concern about sell on value in three years time. I'd be going for a 94A (late 2016 or 2017) from main dealer.

I know everyone says "look at how older EV's are holding their value". But I think the 300+ and 400+ range cars will dramatically changes the market, it'll make <200km range cars extremely unattractive. This is based on nothing but a feeling, so I could be very wrong.

The REx will always hold its value well IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Won't other manufacturers be following Hyundai\KIA over next 3 years with 300+ and 400+ range?

They will but I can't see the prices coming down, and I can't see supply being over demand so prices will stay high and therefore out of reach of the ordinary Joe Soap, when they do start to drop we'll probably have our €10k new car incentive removed and the prices will go back up again.
    I hope I'm wrong on all the above BTW, I'm a one car EV house and just gagging to go to two car EV but only with proper infrastructure and more friendly (probably second hand) pricing….hence more like 13years than 3.
    Pricing will probably work itself out ahead of infrastructure

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The way the manufacturers have generally worked so far is that the longer range versions are more expensive, hence no negative effect on previous lower range EV's. I think you are assuming that a 400km EV can/will be bought for the same price as a 200km EV today.... that hasnt happened to date.

e.g. A Leaf 40kWh is more expensive than what a Leaf 30kWh was when they stopped making them. The Leaf 62kWh is going to be ~€6k more than the Leaf 40kWh.

Likewise with Niro EV.... 39kWh is €35500. The 64kWh is going to be ~€40k.

And everyone has their breaking point in relation to budget so eventhough a <200km EV might be unattractive to an individual, if the budget cant stretch to spending €35k-€45k then they have to be realistic and buy that <200km EV or stick with ICE.

The market for EV's is rising and should continue to rise so I think resale values are going to be solid for quite some time as more and more people look to buy an EV in their price range. Alot of people dont need 200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Stop for 10 minutes to stretch your legs and plug in or just stick more fuel in it. My longest spin will be 400km to Belfast. I'll stop twice just as I do in a normal ICE car.

Autoglass rang me yesterday to put off their home visit till Friday.
    Its a class 4 job supposedly.. Means a specially trained lad and his mate have to do it. Will take up to 3 hours.
    Lad on the phone was very apologetic saying that I should have been told this when booking last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its a class 4 job supposedly.. Means a specially trained lad and his mate have to do it. Will take up to 3 hours.
    Lad on the phone was very apologetic saying that I should have been told this when booking last week.

It's an extremely difficult job to do and as others mentioned if not done carefully and correctly it's a complete right off of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Does your insurance cover it?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's an extremely difficult job to do and as others mentioned if not done carefully and correctly it's a complete right off of a car.

How long can it be before insurance companies refuse windscreen cover on the I3? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

My insurance covered my windscreen replacement in Ioniq (cost €760). I had to bring it to Mr Windscreen head office in Dublin though, their only place that could do the job.

unkel wrote: »
    My insurance covered my windscreen replacement in Ioniq (cost €760). I had to bring it to Mr Windscreen head office in Dublin though, their only place that could do the job.

I got mine replaced at the dealer. The normal guy in the Autoglass van arrived and changed the screen and the dealer did the calibration on the LKAS camera.

Looks like the didn't have the expertise in Autoglass to do it and they did in Mr Windscreen? Or are you based outside of the Dublin area?

They said the reason for only being able to do it was that they had to calibrate the camera alright. It doesn't feel different now than with my old windscreen in place. So I hope they did a good job :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

KCross wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that the elusive cheap long range EV is a long way away and that the €38k for a Kona is in or around what we will be paying for quite some time for a car with that size battery/range.

I know Shef will be here any second now with the VW €25k car but thats a unicorn, imo.

Base Neo model here will likely be priced the same as the Leaf and Ioniq. Spec it up and add a 60kWh+ battery and I bet you will be in the same €38k ballpark.

The $35k Model 3 will also be in the same ball park. L62 will be ~€6k more than the L40 so again same ballpark.

What else is there?

And as the prices come down the incentives will disappear, keeping the price static for another few years.

TL;DR; As bad an all as the €38k price is, I dont think it will depreciate like a stone. We've heard it all before so many times.... old Leaf will depreciate like a stone when the new one comes out.... and it hasnt happened... the price goes up.

Been saying that for years

This 2020 the year of the EV ain't happening

Prices are not going down for years, without the subsidies in place today of €10,000 the EV is doa

For sure VW will make a great EV, but it won't be cheap for long range like 400-500km

Even an incredibly efficient Tesla Model 3 with a huge 78kWh battery can only get real world 400-500km

Even at the magical €100kWh we are supposed to hit in early 20's, thats an almost €8000 battery

Add in cooling, cabling, pack layout, casing, etc won't be far off €10,000 as it's a complicated mess with like 6000 AA sized batteries all cabled together with liquid cooling in an aluminium case

Your average EV maker is looking at below just to replace a petrol tank and engine for a long range EV

Battery 70kWh €7000
    Electric motor €1000
    Controller €1000
    Charge Port €700
    Cooling, casing, cabling, pack etc €1000
    Other €1000

Almost the price of a brand new Seat Ibiza for a tank and engine

If someone wants an EV buy it today or very soon while the €10,000 subsidy is in place, without it....

unkel wrote: »
    Looks like the didn't have the expertise in Autoglass to do it and they did in Mr Windscreen? Or are you based outside of the Dublin area?

They said the reason for only being able to do it was that they had to calibrate the camera alright. It doesn't feel different now than with my old windscreen in place. So I hope they did a good job :)

Based in Wexford.

Did you have to leave the car and come back later? Curing of the adhesive takes an hour and the car shouldn't be moved. The calibration takes 15 minutes.

Could Mr. Windscreen have taken your car to a dealer to get it calibrated before you picked it up?

Could Mr. Windscreen have taken your car to a dealer to get it calibrated before you picked it up?

It's possible, but I got the impression they did it themselves.

I did have to leave the car with them for most of the day. Had my bike in the boot :D

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Does your insurance cover it?

Fully comp with windscreen cover so I'd be assuming so.. Might give them a tinkle to make sure.

We’re in cork and dingle for the weekend.

On the way down stopped at the IONITY charger, took 15 mins to get it to charge, had to call the helpline for remote activation. The phone activation does not work so beware of that to safe time Messing around, if it doesn’t work first time call the helpline. The charge leads are ridiculously short and are going to break because they will get linked easily as people bend the crap out of them to try get the plug connected. Wasn’t to bad for the I3 but the E-tron driver really struggled.

Anyway , I left cashel with 98% and turned on the Rez at 75% as early as it allows. Then into mallow , had some business there, then to cork all on the Rex or from 75% charge roughly 55km from cashel. 120 kmh on the motorway and 120 since I joined from Carlow to ballacolla no driving at 100 or 110 kmh in the motorway.

So so far I used about 6 liters of petrol and have 60% which is enough to get me from Cork to Killarney fast charger at least it has ccs now. In fact I’ve used about 6 liters of petrol since December , actually no I haven’t because I set off with just under 3 quarters of a tank and have a quarter left so probably about 4 liters used maybe 5.

From Killarney onto Dingle later today.

The Rex is just so convenient, all ac points close by in cork are in use so unless one frees up in the meantime I’ll just go to Killarney straight.

What's the max in cold weather out of battery and rex together and then in the summer.

Oh how I would love to be able to even get a enough of a loan to get one.

They've grown on me so much.

I'm doing around 1k km a week so will need to do something in the near future as diesel costs rising etc....

It all depends on how hard you drive but should get 130 kms minimum and another 80-90 at 120-130 kmh, on Rex . I’ve never paid too much attention to it really because that’s the beauty of the Rex , you don’t need to.

Slower driving should see 170 kms cold wet to 200-230 kms warm dry, the wind is the real problem in Ireland. Rex can provide up to 130 kms again slower driving.

The Rex also eliminates cold battery charging which can add at least 15 mins to a charge. It’s just so convenient and such a shame BMW no longer allow anyone to choose the Rex in Europe with new I3 purchases . They must be getting more tax incentives for having my Bev option only!

It all depends on how hard you drive but should get 130 kms minimum and another 80-90 at 120-130 kmh, on Rex . I’ve never paid too much attention to it really because that’s the beauty of the Rex , you don’t need to.

Slower driving should see 170 kms cold wet to 200-230 kms warm dry, the wind is the real problem in Ireland. Rex can provide up to 130 kms again slower driving.

The Rex also eliminates cold battery charging which can add at least 15 mins to a charge. It’s just so convenient and such a shame BMW no longer allow anyone to choose the Rex in Europe with new I3 purchases . They must be getting more tax incentives for having my Bev option only!

Does sound really ideal and a wonder more didn't take it up.

Obviously I would love the i8 but that's never going to happen but what a beut....

When the motor is running do you find it much louder or are they well sound proofed?

Do you ever get sick of beating everyone off the lights....

To be honest beating people off the lights is an illusion as 99% of people are not trying to race you but I like to have fun in it.

Handling is very good but I’d like to try the S Model I3 which is supposed to handle well and is slightly more powerful.

After 1.5 years I still love driving it and will probably keep it after the pcp is up because I don’t think there is anything that I’d be bothered driving after the I3 at least until something else comes along at the right price.

Regarding the Rex noise, I can hardly hear it. Radio on you won’t hear it at all .

• Advertisement

Drove from Dingle today, charged from 50 - 80 % at the AC point at the Aquarium, went in had a look, impressive well worth to see it if you're down that direction.

Got to Newcastle, Leaf 40 there so moved on, had 30% charge, turned on the Rex as soon as I got out of town then Rex all the way to Obama Plaza on the M7, no car there so charged to 90%. A lady pulled up in a 30 Kwh Leaf as I was almost finished. She was delighted lol.

120 Km/h all the way where possible and limits elsewhere. The Rex is just fantastic I love it, just so damn convenient and the best purchase I could have made, we've a long way to go before I convert back to BEV , even in a Kona 60 Kwh my issues would still be the same, when away from home I simply can't depend on the network. Rex I can take anywhere, anytime.

drove 316 Kms starting from 80% in dingle - 30 % in Newcastle then Rex from 30% from Newcastle to Obama plaza and home on battery. The idea is to preserve some battery 30-40% for the 120 Km/h motorway so you have plenty of power then you can either use the battery the last 30 odd Kms or hold it for less time on the charger, guess what option I prefer ? haha, yes less charging time.

316 kms and used about 4 litres of petrol , beat that diesel !

The BMW i3 Rex is one marvellous piece of engineering !

Advertisement