Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Soarer wrote: »
    Just kinda wondering out loud again.

If you were to buy a REx, the need for the DC prep would pretty much disappear wouldn't it? I mean, why would you sit for half an hour charging when you could throw a fiver of petrol in and rock on?

Or is that overly simplistic?
    That's fine if you need a fiver to get home,but on longer trips you'd need multiple stops due to the tiny tank and shocking mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

DrPhilG wrote: »
    As kceire says, I have no issues with the app. There is an older version that people reckon is more reliable but I've got both and they both work fine.

Great price on the car. What spec do you have inside?
    The app either won't connect and if it does it shows me no information.
    I'm just logging into the connected web page, which shows me everything.

Spec wise is a bit of a Mish mash.
    Park assist and the nice alloys but small nav screen. The basic interior option too.
    But with only 13k/km on the clock I jumped on it.
    Battery capacity is at 29.5 so has barely been driven.

I'll join the UK i3 Facebook page later.

Yes on longer trips you might have to stop for an 8 second re-fill compared to a potential 2 hrs wait and more at a DC charger ? lol not so bad eah ?

170 odd Kms + or - then 100-130 Km range on Rex , not a bad deal to save time on charging if you ask me especially if you don't need to use the Rex every day and even if you did the time saved is well worth it.

I charge when I want, when convenient.

Rex also eliminates cold battery performance issues when charging so it has many advantages that I do not want to give up just yet, until the time is right, when there are a lot more chargers, multiple chargers on site + more range. More range alone is not enough to tempt me "back" to BEV only with the current network issues.

Rex gives me lots of options I simply do not have with BEV.

The 3 phase AC charger also makes life easier and yes it might take 1 hrs less to 100% than single phase but to 90% is a whole different story. can get from 10-90% in 2 hrs 30 mins. Dead handy when you are away from home.

I agree, I'm suggesting the rex, calm the horses there!
    Just the merits of DC charging and getting the 94ah one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yes on longer trips you might have to stop for an 8 second re-fill

Yeah. It holds 9 liters of petrol, realistic range maybe 90km, so you'd have to stop every 45 minutes. That's worse than a Leaf 24 :p

• Advertisement

I wonder if anyone has hacked a way into having a bigger fuel tank.

I'd want at least 20 litres to make the rex worthwhile. But if I wanted to drive a petrol rwd bmw I'd have an m5 or i8, the i3 is supposed to be an EV ~100% of the time. That's where the cost savings are. If you're driving on petrol then what's the point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone has hacked a way into having a bigger fuel tank.

I'd want at least 20 litres to make the rex worthwhile. But if I wanted to drive a petrol rwd bmw I'd have an m5 or i8, the i3 is supposed to be an EV ~100% of the time. That's where the cost savings are. If you're driving on petrol then what's the point!!
    Carry a Jerry can????

Carry a Jerry can????
    Then you have to stop and fill. I mean an actual tank swap

unkel wrote: »
    Yeah. It holds 9 liters of petrol, realistic range maybe 90km, so you'd have to stop every 45 minutes. That's worse than a Leaf 24 :p

Realistic range is 100-140 Kms.

Then you have to stop and fill. I mean an actual tank swap

I know I was half joking but it would be a help.

• Advertisement

Realistic range is 100-140 Kms.

You are claiming it can do 140km on 8l of petrol (can't risk letting tank run down completely as the battery was already empty on that long distance trip) at 110km/h?

Lol People are actually complaining about pulling into a garage with many pumps and filing up in 8 seconds for 100-140 Kms range.....

This in the Pic below is something real to complain about , potential 90 min wait or more lol. 8 seconds or 90 mins ? you choose haha.

VCpURMW.png

If you post that massive picture one more time, the boards.ie database is going to explode :p

You are claiming it can do 140km on 8l of petrol (can't risk letting tank run down completely as the battery was already empty on that long distance trip) at 110km/h?

110 Km/h not so sure but far better than having to charge or queue before charging.

Mostly though I don't let the battery run out, this is the key here. If someone has to travel a long distance they're better to keep the petrol topped up and use battery only when they get to slower roads, in town/city or closer to their destination.

If you post that massive picture one more time, the boards.ie database is going to explode :p

That's the plan. But I'm sure digiweb will ensure that doesn't happen. lol

Change the slogan in your pic to:

"I should have bought an EV with a bigger range"

I bet that's what you'll keep telling us all as soon as you bought your next car ;)

Change the slogan in your pic to:

"I should have bought an EV with a bigger range"

I bet that's what you'll keep telling us all as soon as you bought your next car ;)

No, same issues arise, will still need to be charged when away from home with a sh1t network and there's nothing available yet that floats my boat.

Not saying I wouldn't like more ev range, of course I would but there's nothing there yet for me and the network just isn't good enough not even close.

Not saying I wouldn't like more ev range, of course I would but there's nothing there yet for me and the network just isn't good enough not even close.

The only reason you own a REx is that you couldn't afford a BEV with a better range (I guess at the time that would have been a Tesla). No shame in that, but it would be awesome if you'd just admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Fast charged yesterday at CCS in limerick. Went to check on the charge and the unit was giving 22kwh when the car was at 98%, is that normal?

Also 32 amp cable suppliers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Fast charged yesterday at CCS in limerick. Went to check on the charge and the unit was giving 22kwh when the car was at 98%, is that normal?

Also 32 amp cable suppliers?

You shouldn't really be fast charging (CCS) up to 100%.
    It drastically slows down towards the end of the battery fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Soarer

The only reason you own a REx is that you couldn't afford a BEV with a better range (I guess at the time that would have been a Tesla). No shame in that, but it would be awesome if you'd just admit it.

That may well be the case, but you can get caught out even with a Tesla (overnight powercut, timer set incorrectly, etc.)
    With the REx, you can never* get caught out.

* - Unless you allow yourself to run out of petrol as well as battery charge. In which case, you probably shouldn't be driving unaccompanied!

Lol admit what that I can't afford a new Tesla of course I can't never said I could afford a Tesla at the time.

The Real reason I'm driving a Rex is because I loved it so much on the test drive and because the network is sh1t and because there was nothing else on the market at the time with more range and even now there is the Kona which is well within budget I wouldn't buy it because I don't like it.

I think the Kona is horrid looking.

It looks very cheap but expensive of course.

I would love to have the money to change.,.

I think the Kona is horrid looking.

It looks very cheap but expensive of course.

I would love to have the money to change.,.
    Kona is horribly priced, 20k car with 20k battery stuffed in
    Paddy spec is crap too compared to UK versions.

Would not suggest anyone should spend 40k on any Hyundai/kia, it's too much and will depreciate like a stone when a proper version comes out or a faster charging version (look how long it takes even at "100kW")

It will be interesting to see what the Leaf 60 costs especially with the Model 3 on the way ( eventually ).

In other markets it's rumoured to be slightly more expensive than the base model3
    Hmm... tesco value battery leaf or base model 3 with supercharger support.
    Wonder which is better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Would not suggest anyone should spend 40k on any Hyundai/kia, it's too much and will depreciate like a stone when a proper version comes out or a faster charging version (look how long it takes even at "100kW")

I've come to the conclusion that the elusive cheap long range EV is a long way away and that the €38k for a Kona is in or around what we will be paying for quite some time for a car with that size battery/range.

I know Shef will be here any second now with the VW €25k car but thats a unicorn, imo.

Base Neo model here will likely be priced the same as the Leaf and Ioniq. Spec it up and add a 60kWh+ battery and I bet you will be in the same €38k ballpark.

The $35k Model 3 will also be in the same ball park. L62 will be ~€6k more than the L40 so again same ballpark.

What else is there?

And as the prices come down the incentives will disappear, keeping the price static for another few years.

TL;DR; As bad an all as the €38k price is, I dont think it will depreciate like a stone. We've heard it all before so many times.... old Leaf will depreciate like a stone when the new one comes out.... and it hasnt happened... the price goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭handpref

KCross wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that the elusive cheap long range EV is a long way away and that the €38k for a Kona is in or around what we will be paying for quite some time for a car with that size battery/range.

I know Shef will be here any second now with the VW €25k car but thats a unicorn, imo.

Base Neo model here will likely be priced the same as the Leaf and Ioniq. Spec it up and add a 60kWh+ battery and I bet you will be in the same €38k ballpark.

The $35k Model 3 will also be in the same ball park. L62 will be ~€6k more than the L40 so again same ballpark.

What else is there?

And as the prices come down the incentives will disappear, keeping the price static for another few years.

TL;DR; As bad an all as the €38k price is, I dont think it will depreciate like a stone. We've heard it all before so many times.... old Leaf will depreciate like a stone when the new one comes out.... and it hasnt happened... the price goes up.

I think you are right, I will be changing up shortly but there are not many options. My elderly neighbor bought a Kona petrol, according to Hyundai Ireland they retail at €21245, I couldn’t justify buying the ‘same’ car, all be it an Ev for 38k, id rather have a nice wedge of cash or a smaller loan. Without the grants the same car is 48k...fuel savings won’t bridge those gaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Surely the Rex is just a glorified generator, therefore not driving the wheels, therefore not limiting the speed?

So talk of it being 33bhp is irrelevant no?

The question is can it generate energy faster the car consumes it? Seemingly it can.

Advertisement