Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've not read the thread but has anyone let Mad_Lad know the licence plate is viable in the first picture to anyone who's not legally blind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I actually did mention to MOH that I’d consider replacing the L30 with an i3 REX as an exercise and of course I got shot down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

@Mad_Lad have you given your i3 start up screen the seasonal treatment?

https://youtu.be/P0IVSo2yDvk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Would the wider tires on the S version negate the need for winter tires ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

tuxy wrote: »
    I've not read the thread but has anyone let Mad_Lad know the licence plate is viable in the first picture to anyone who's not legally blind :P

lol ah sure depends what the screen brightness is I suppose. :D

• Advertisement

dloob wrote: »
    As well as Mad_Lads comments, the newer car does not offer the REX.
    Judging by the references to 200km range this appears to be a review of the older 94aH i3s which is no longer available new.
    I'm also pretty sure EcoPro+ doesn't turn the radio off.

I think the Rex is still available with the 44 Kwh in the U.S.

BMW need to re-think this because 44 Kwh still is not enough, if I look at the trip to Galway.

On the way down got to Ballinasloe from Carlow, the Rex turned on for the last 2 kms. Charged up to only 75% to let the leaf driver in, got to Galway with about 28%. There was no AC point near the Jury's that was a reasonable distance away or practical.

On the way home, got to the charger at Glynns, charged to about 50% the battery was not very warm, about 14 degrees so would not take the full charge rate, it probably would have been cooler if it had been outside and not in the multistory car park, it was well sheltered, we then headed to Ballinasloe and charged to 83% from 5% in 30 mins, at the start of that charge the battery was plenty warm and allowed full charge.

Leaving from home the battery was preheated to 10 Deg C and then by the time we got to ballinasloe it was plenty warm but unfortunately when you can't plug into the mains you get a cold battery and that effects charging, this is down to the battery itself and not the charger receiving a signal from the cars BMS saying (I'm too cold please give me only XX Kw ) it's got nothing to do with the charger or the BMS the battery simply is unable to accept more than xx Kw at XX temperature and it's as simple as that. The internal resistance of the battery increases as the temperature drops which restricts the flow of current.

Then on the way from ballinasloe to Kilbeggan I used the Rex on the Motorway at 120 Kmh with some 130 Km/h stints , we turned off heading back for Carlow which I then used battery the rest of the way.

I got home with about 8%.

Considering the i3 will have a big hole where the Rex is BMW should offer the Rex as an option, buyers choice, what the hell are they thinking ?

The other real issue is that as far as I am aware, BMW still do not allow more than 50 Kw charging which is a limitation despite whether there are many 50+ Kw chargers we do know that they are not that far away, it's likely the ESB will be installing newer 50 Kw chargers when they finally start installing chargers again after nearly 3+ years.....

We're not at the point where you could say that 40 Kwh eliminates the need for the wonderful Rex, if they can fit the 42 Kwh into the same space and there is an empty space for the Rex why not give people the option ? it makes absolutely no sense.

Having lived with the Leaf for 3 years and the i3 for just over a year I can say that it would be very , very hard to part with the Rex ! The trips to the West would have to be stopped and the Outlander taken which is no big deal really but I would rather drive the i3.

It leaves me thinking that I will have to keep the 33 kwh Rex when my Lease is up in 2 years.

Could I go back to a Leaf ? 60 Kwh, front wheel drive with very poor grip on damp and wet roads ? 100 Kw charging ? I honestly don't know........

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Would the wider tires on the S version negate the need for winter tires ?

Not at all, the same as it doesn't for normal tyres.

When the temps drop or there is snow proper winter tyres are just magic altogether, I drove on them before when I had the vans driving around Wicklow, the difference was the ability to drive or not on snow and ice.

I was thinking about getting proper snow tyres for the i3 but glad I didn't because it looks like it's going to be a mild winter but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Could I go back to a Leaf ? 60 Kwh, front wheel drive with very poor grip on damp and wet roads ? 100 Kw charging ? I honestly don't know........
    The leaf will not have 100kW charging as the max per current chademo 1 is 62.5kW. And that's with 500v which the leaf will not have.

You couldn't go back to a leaf after owning an i3, it's not in the same league. Leaf and Ioniq are eco boxes, i3 is from a premium segment.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    @Mad_Lad have you given your i3 start up screen the seasonal treatment?

https://youtu.be/P0IVSo2yDvk

lol No, never did that, didn't know I could. :D

Pretty cool !

How much worse would the 60Amh i3 Rex be compared to your 94Amh, Mad_Lad?
    One poster said he’d do around 125km on leccy only and then the REX kicks in

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    The leaf will not have 100kW charging as the max per current chademo 1 is 62.5kW. And that's with 500v which the leaf will not have.

You couldn't go back to a leaf after owning an i3, it's not in the same league. Leaf and Ioniq are eco boxes, i3 is from a premium segment.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/05/60-kwh-nissan-leaf-still-no-liquid-cooled-battery/

According to the above the 60 Kwh won't be liquid cooled at all but air cooled which is seemingly alarming some people but the Ioniq is air cooled.

Leaf 60 also charges just under 100 Kw but yes, the idiots won't budge from ChaDeMo, it's sad really. Imaging 60 Kwh leafs at 45 Kw stuck to the new 100+ Kw chargers ? I hope the ESB really do charge per time and not Kwh.....

If the 60 Kwh has air cooling and the internal resistance is lower than it can easily take a larger current without much issue.

Power has been increased to 200 Hp which is healthy but again front wheel drive, to me that's a no no. Perhaps with better tyres but the i3 has eco tyres also with B for fuel and B for wet and it's got tonnes of grip even in the wet, yes it throttles on take off , sadly, but it still has tonnes more grip than the 150 Hp Leaf so I couldn't imagine 200 Hp with no form of power to the rear wheels.

It would indeed be hard to go back to the Leaf, perhaps the ix3 due for release in 2019 might be a decent price in a year or two after release.

So yeah, I could see myself with the i3 for a while to come, that's not a bad thing really. It's a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Poor grip can most likely be made a lot better by a change of tyres

100kW CHAdeMO charging? Probably never in Ireland. But hopefully Nissan will have switched to CCS by then, like everyone else.

peposhi wrote: »
    How much worse would the 60Amh i3 Rex be compared to your 94Amh, Mad_Lad?
    One poster said he’d do around 125km on leccy only and then the REX kicks in

Depends on how much the battery has degraded, probably somewhere between 100 and 120 Kms maybe this time of year and a bit more in Summer. But the rex is handy to have so it's not a huge issue.

The 60 ah also charges slower than the 33 Kwh, the 33 kwh gets more Kwh into the battery in the same time, but again, if you have the Rex it's not a massive issue as probably most of your charging will be done at home or work anyway same as myself so if I burn a few litres of petrol now and then it's no big deal. Better to have the Rex than want it that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We're not at the point where you could say that 40 Kwh eliminates the need for the wonderful Rex, if they can fit the 42 Kwh into the same space and there is an empty space for the Rex why not give people the option ? it makes absolutely no sense.

Did they announce that they were stopping Rex everywhere or just europe?

Maybe they have exceeded a weight threshold with the higher capacity battery and removing the Rex is the solution.

The bigger battery might fit in the same space but it might be heavier.... maybe?

unkel wrote: »
    Poor grip can most likely be made a lot better by a change of tyres

100kW CHAdeMO charging? Probably never in Ireland. But hopefully Nissan will have switched to CCS by then, like everyone else.

Yes it can but as I experienced with the old Leaf it's still far from perfect even on A rated wet tyres, what I then noticed was less grip in the dry.....

Seemingly Nissan are not changing to CCS at least not yet despite Kia changing the Soul to CCS if they haven't already done it, it's got a battery upgrade I think not sure , didn't read up too much on it.

Nissan just can't/refuse to do things right.

KCross wrote: »
    Did they announce that they were stopping Rex everywhere or just europe?

Maybe they have exceeded a weight threshold with the higher capacity battery and removing the Rex is the solution.

The bigger battery might fit in the same space but it might be heavier.... maybe?

Doubt weight has anything to do with it, I've read where rex will still be an option in the U.S.

I find it most ridiculous that if there's a market for the Rex then why not offer it ?

Yes it can but as I experienced with the old Leaf it's still far from perfect even on A rated wet tyres, what I then noticed was less grip in the dry.....

Seemingly Nissan are not changing to CCS at least not yet despite Kia changing the Soul to CCS if they haven't already done it, it's got a battery upgrade I think not sure , didn't read up too much on it.

Nissan just can't/refuse to do things right.
    New soul is out in 2019/20 with the same drivetrains as Kona and e-Niro. Same 39/64kWh battery options too, and CCS DC charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm sat in my local BMW now getting winter wheels on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Doubt weight has anything to do with it, I've read where rex will still be an option in the U.S.

I find it most ridiculous that if there's a market for the Rex then why not offer it ?

Rumours that it’s due to the new WLTP testing.
    REX engine would have required overhaul to reach required standard.

What's the WLTP got to do with it ?

• Advertisement

What's the WLTP got to do with it ?
    They changed the requirements and the way emissions are measured(see recent price increases)

This impacts PHEV the most as the previous tests favoured phev cars.

I prefer the TBTP anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

ELM327 wrote: »
    They changed the requirements and the way emissions are measured(see recent price increases)

This impacts PHEV the most as the previous tests favoured phev cars.

I prefer the TBTP anyway :D

Having read up a bit on WLTP test methods, methinks that its more likely that the Rex version is being withdrawn from Europe mainly for marketing reasons. Think about it - if you own a 120ah Rex with, say (280km on battery and 120km on generator) 400km total, where's the incentive to fork out for the new small BMW ev in a few years time if if BMW can only offer a 400-500km range model? By that time you will have already figured out that the i3 range is more than enough and that the rex is genuinely handy in dealing with overcrowded charge points.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Having read up a bit on WLTP test methods, methinks that its more likely that the Rex version is being withdrawn from Europe mainly for marketing reasons. Think about it - if you own a 120ah Rex with, say (280km on battery and 120km on generator) 400km total, where's the incentive to fork out for the new small BMW ev in a few years time if if BMW can only offer a 400-500km range model? By that time you will have already figured out that the i3 range is more than enough and that the rex is genuinely handy in dealing with overcrowded charge points.

Rex isn't just about extending range , it's essential given the state of the DC charging network, the 3 phase AC helps a lot though in that department but there are times the AC points are not convenient to use or too far from where you have to stay when away from home.

280 kms with 42 Kwh , maybe 38 usable, would be a bit of a stretch, possibly off the motorway in Summer but not in Winter and not on the motorway
    at mtorway speeds.

50 Kw charging is still a limitation, the 22 Kwh back in 2014 charges at 50 Kw but it ramps down a lot faster compared to the 33 Kwh but still, the 44 Kwh should be able to charge at at least 70-80 Kw with a liquid cooled battery.

I know we don't have any more than 45 Kw chargers but they are not that far away. There's a very good chance the next batch of chargers the ESB install later in 2019 will be 100 Kw maybe more.

Na, I think I'd have to give the i3 a miss next time around unless there's some improvement in battery capacity and charging power.

When I was charging in Ballinasloe on Sunday, I Guarantee the Ioniq driver who had to wait for me and then the Leaf to charge would have given anything for a Rex, I mean come on, who the hell wouldn't ? he was might p1ssed off with the charging network that's for sure. who fancies waiting for two cars to charge with a possible 1 hr 30 min wait including charging their own car ? exactly, no one.

The issue with the BEV is that it's cheaper and yes , 42 Kwh is better than 22 Kwh as in the original but the cost is probably what push more people to choose the BEV only and then they have to make it work or take another car with the Rex you don't it's a go anywhere, any time car regardless of battery charge, it just makes life so much easier.

Yes it's true, most of my driving is done on battery and the Rex is not needed much but I'm bloody damn glad to have it !

42 Kwh and 100 Kw charging and loads of chargers, now that's a different story !

Depends on how much the battery has degraded, probably somewhere between 100 and 120 Kms maybe this time of year and a bit more in Summer. But the rex is handy to have so it's not a huge issue.

The 60 ah also charges slower than the 33 Kwh, the 33 kwh gets more Kwh into the battery in the same time, but again, if you have the Rex it's not a massive issue as probably most of your charging will be done at home or work anyway same as myself so if I burn a few litres of petrol now and then it's no big deal. Better to have the Rex than want it that's for sure.

With the amount of Leafs sold every month I am getting worried of overcrowded CPs. It has not affected me so much yet (perhaps I’ve been lucky) but what guarantees the same in near future...
    Don’t need the range every day. Most days I’m back home with 50% battery. But when I go to Dublin or the airport I’d have to charge...
    Perhaps I just want something different too. Always loved the i3, but it was not affordable for me. Wanted one back in Feb when we changed my wife’s car, but it would have meant all savings wiped, literally if I had gone for an REx instead of the Leaf...
    Now we’ve settled a bit so I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

With the amount of Leafs sold every month I am getting worried of overcrowded CPs. It has not affected me so much yet (perhaps I’ve been lucky) but what guarantees the same in near future...
    Don’t need the range every day. Most days I’m back home with 50% battery. But when I go to Dublin or the airport I’d have to charge...
    Perhaps I just want something different too. Always loved the i3, but it was not affordable for me. Wanted one back in Feb when we changed my wife’s car, but it would have meant all savings wiped, literally if I had gone for an REx instead of the Leaf...
    Now we’ve settled a bit so I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

You're joking ? haha, put your foot down !

The ESB plan 100 x 150 Kw chargers I just read , with the Government funding + upgrading existing chargers , in what time frame I don't know. That would make a real difference.

In the meantime, Rex is really excellent especially if you stay somewhere over night and can't charge or preheat the battery and it's cold so charging will be a lot slower and that might not go down too well with the family. It's something to be aware of in any EV which you already are or course.

It's when you're away from home that the public Network becomes essential that's why I believe that even with 40 Kwh , eliminating the Rex is a mistake , it's not BMW engineers that have to endure the poor network or slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex eliminates Queuing at chargers.

Rex eliminates the frustration of broken chargers.

Rex allows you to continue if you don't want to stop to charge.

Rex allows you to maintain the charge in your battery much much longer handy for Motorway trips.

Rex eliminates the slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex allows driving anywhere any time as long as you got petrol in the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've probably asked this before but whats your maximum range (summer/winter) with both KW and REX near empty?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've probably asked this before but whats your maximum range (summer/winter) with both KW and REX near empty?

Do you mean what would I get on battery + Rex together ?

I may stretch (not!!!, she said)the budget again :)

You're joking ? haha, put your foot down !

The ESB plan 100 x 150 Kw chargers I just read , with the Government funding + upgrading existing chargers , in what time frame I don't know. That would make a real difference.

In the meantime, Rex is really excellent especially if you stay somewhere over night and can't charge or preheat the battery and it's cold so charging will be a lot slower and that might not go down too well with the family. It's something to be aware of in any EV which you already are or course.

It's when you're away from home that the public Network becomes essential that's why I believe that even with 40 Kwh , eliminating the Rex is a mistake , it's not BMW engineers that have to endure the poor network or slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex eliminates Queuing at chargers.

Rex eliminates the frustration of broken chargers.

Rex allows you to continue if you don't want to stop to charge.

Rex allows you to maintain the charge in your battery much much longer handy for Motorway trips.

Rex eliminates the slower charging of a cold battery.

Rex allows driving anywhere any time as long as you got petrol in the tank.

Yup... Now how do I write all this with capital letters on the walls at home without being killed :)

Yup... Now how do I write all this with capital letters on the walls at home without being killed :)

Ah grow some balls and Man up ! :D don't let a Woman dictate to you she's not your Mother and you don't want to live with a mammy do you ? so many Women think and act like their men's Mothers !

If you're managing the bills and food on the table you're entitled to spend some money, if she doesn't like it, tell her where the door is, or has she convinced you you'd be the one going if things went sour ? lol :D

• Advertisement

Ah grow some balls and Man up ! :D don't let a Woman dictate to you she's not your Mother and you don't want to live with a mammy do you ? so many Women think and act like their men's Mothers !

If you're managing the bills and food on the table you're entitled to spend some money, if she doesn't like it, tell her where the door is, or has she convinced you you'd be the one going if things went sour ? lol :D

LOL‚ What was your OH driving one more time :) ?!?

Advertisement