Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guess what Mad_Lad got this time?

Options

Comments

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've always considered an I3 as my next EV up from the leaf.
    After reading that article I've possibly even managed to turn herself. :D

What specs are in your cars lads? Or even whats a definite to have.

Essential , in my opinion.

Navigation System Professional this gives you the large screen.

Nav System + difference according to here http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456

Business Navigation System (available as from march 2014)(*) (606)
    iDrive controller with direct selection keys, 8 customizable rapid selection keys, 6,5" (800x480) color screen, navigation by arrows or map views (north, forward and perspective views), USB port for navigation data updates, optional voice command function for navigation when combined with 249 (multifunction steering wheel) and 6NS (enhanced Bluetooth preparation) - dynamic route planning possible, takes into account current traffic information - with on-board computer and additional functions, integrated user guide, electronic service logbook - please note that navigation data are uploaded at production site (flash memory).

Professional Navigation System (609)
    In addition to Business Navigation System : 3D and satellite view, 10,2" color screen (1280x480), navigation data on hard drive, USB port to upload media data to hard drive (20 Gb), Splitscreen function, iDrive Touch Controller (handwriting recognition).

No CD/DVD mentioned anywhere. Own music can be stored on the 20Gb HD through USB port. No mention of compatible music file formats.

I have the nav pro and it's fantastic and the live traffic means I can avoid the M7/N7 if traffic is bad or there's an accident or if the road is clear I can go the motorway and not have to drive poxy back roads.

The large screen is nice and it's larger again in the 2018, 10 inch.

I also have the Harman Kardon stereo, good clear audio, is lacking a bit in the baas but it's leaps and bounds better then the BOSE in the Leaf.

I can control tune in and spotify via the head unit, this works only via USB and you have to have the BMW Connected app open in order for it to work but it works brilliantly, tune in and spotify comes up on the big screen.

Whether this is part of the pro nav or not I don't know.

I have the comfort access, which is keyless entry.

Reverse camera, don't really care about it

Park assist, don't care about it.

Led headlights, love them.

Leather , lovely. I have the "Suite" leather.

Enhanced Bluetooth, voice prompts, streaming etc.

Adaptive cruise , don't have it, think it comes with a lane keep assist which will kind of keep you in the lane, not sure at what speed it works, Cros has it perhaps he can confirm.

The 2018 might come with different spec/options and the i3S has more kit as standard, it's also got more power and more punch above 100 Kph, stiffer and lower suspension.

Regarding the Rex, for me it was essential and I do not regret having it one bit, have used it several times and has made a lot of trips a lot more convenient and one recent trip I probably would not have been able to complete due to crap CCS charging infrastructure in the South West. Rex can go anywhere any time and can also mean avoiding chargers if they are in use.

Back in 2015 I had high hopes for the Charging network but not a single charger was installed since, some upgraded but that's about it, so this time around I was not going to suffer an inadequate network or busy chargers.

Next time around hopefully things will be different, for now I'm mighty glad to burn some petrol for the sheer convenience and still have up to 210 Kms pure EV only range more than some BEV cars, i3 rex is unique and it's perfect for me and I got a great deal on it considering the cost new so it was a no brainer, could not find anything with the spec, Kms not even in the U.K for the same price.

I may even get the S version next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Patser wrote: »
    ...It essentially boils down to budget and requirements. How far is your commute, how regular are long trips, are you based in Dublin or where there's lots of chargers, or countryside and remote....

Also if you have a second ICE car.

We have 2 cars but can't always know when I want to go somewhere or need to and haven't charged maybe or have to go longer distance and might not have the time or want to charge on the way home or a charger could be busy delaying me up to an hour or more especially if there's a queue or God forbid a 40 Kwh leaf capped to 22 Kw on DC and insists on a 95% charge. :eek:

I could have the Boys in the car and it's not fun having to entertain them sometimes if you have to charge, 30 mins is do-a-ble but after that and it can be a lot of hassle if you have small children.

Drove about 160 Kms today, didn't set off with full charge, blast from Carlow up the M9 at about 150 Kph, M7 about 140 until road works and N7 about 120 Kph , got to carrickmines and to Dundrum Luas for a DC charge, wasn't particularly fast charger to be honest. 33 mins for 25.5 Kwh. First time I saw one of those older chargers with 3 outputs ? although the time doesn't seem too bad either but definitely slower than the normal CCS chargers.

Anyway, charged from 10-83% and blast back home and 26.5 degrees c highest ambient temp, lovely weather, anyway highest battery temp when I got home was 31 Deg C, God Bless Active cooling , could fast charge and drive all day and it would make no difference.

Interesting that on my trip to Limerick I saw 33 deg C, when the weather was not nearly as warm, perhaps the thermal management had kicked in earlier today because of the heat and might have been more active ? but great to have it all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,735 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Drove about 160 Kms today, didn't set off with full charge, blast from Carlow up the M9 at about 150 Kph, M7 about 140 until road works and N7 about 120 Kph , got to carrickmines and to Dundrum Luas for a DC charge, wasn't particularly fast charger to be honest. 33 mins for 25.5 Kwh. First time I saw one of those older chargers with 3 outputs ? although the time doesn't seem too bad either but definitely slower than the normal CCS chargers.

Anyway, charged from 10-83% and blast back home and 26.5 degrees c highest ambient temp, lovely weather, anyway highest battery temp when I got home was 31 Deg C, God Bless Active cooling , could fast charge and drive all day and it would make no difference.

Interesting that on my trip to Limerick I saw 33 deg C, when the weather was not nearly as warm, perhaps the thermal management had kicked in earlier today because of the heat and might have been more active ? but great to have it all the same.

Presume you mean stillorgan?
    That's a DBT unit and they are generally only capable of 43kW-45kW and are labelled as such on the ecars app.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Presume you mean stillorgan?
    That's a DBT unit and they are generally only capable of 43kW-45kW and are labelled as such on the ecars app.

Yeah , I meant Stillorgan,

On the ecars map they're all marked 44-45 Kw ? the Naas DC is marked as 45 Kw and stillorgan 44 Kw. Not really a difference you'd notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,735 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They (efacec ones) used to be listed at 50kW I'm sure of it.
    If you look at the spec sheets for the chargers they are 50kW units.

There;s a massive dropoff in speed between DBT units and the rest.

There's definitely something different alright.

I think you're correct about the chargers on the map which used to show as 50 kw, I do remember now that you mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I've always considered an I3 as my next EV up from the leaf.
    After reading that article I've possibly even managed to turn herself. :D

What specs are in your cars lads? Or even whats a definite to have.

Essential , in my opinion.

Navigation System Professional this gives you the large screen.

Nav System + difference according to here http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456

Business Navigation System (available as from march 2014)(*) (606)
    iDrive controller with direct selection keys, 8 customizable rapid selection keys, 6,5" (800x480) color screen, navigation by arrows or map views (north, forward and perspective views), USB port for navigation data updates, optional voice command function for navigation when combined with 249 (multifunction steering wheel) and 6NS (enhanced Bluetooth preparation) - dynamic route planning possible, takes into account current traffic information - with on-board computer and additional functions, integrated user guide, electronic service logbook - please note that navigation data are uploaded at production site (flash memory).

Professional Navigation System (609)
    In addition to Business Navigation System : 3D and satellite view, 10,2" color screen (1280x480), navigation data on hard drive, USB port to upload media data to hard drive (20 Gb), Splitscreen function, iDrive Touch Controller (handwriting recognition).

No CD/DVD mentioned anywhere. Own music can be stored on the 20Gb HD through USB port. No mention of compatible music file formats.

I have the nav pro and it's fantastic and the live traffic means I can avoid the M7/N7 if traffic is bad or there's an accident or if the road is clear I can go the motorway and not have to drive poxy back roads.

The large screen is nice and it's larger again in the 2018, 10 inch.

I also have the Harman Kardon stereo, good clear audio, is lacking a bit in the baas but it's leaps and bounds better then the BOSE in the Leaf.

I can control tune in and spotify via the head unit, this works only via USB and you have to have the BMW Connected app open in order for it to work but it works brilliantly, tune in and spotify comes up on the big screen.

Whether this is part of the pro nav or not I don't know.

I have the comfort access, which is keyless entry.

Reverse camera, don't really care about it

Park assist, don't care about it.

Led headlights, love them.

Leather , lovely. I have the "Suite" leather.

Enhanced Bluetooth, voice prompts, streaming etc.

Adaptive cruise , don't have it, think it comes with a lane keep assist which will kind of keep you in the lane, not sure at what speed it works, Cros has it perhaps he can confirm.

The 2018 might come with different spec/options and the i3S has more kit as standard, it's also got more power and more punch above 100 Kph, stiffer and lower suspension.
    Leather is not a desirable option on a bev. Goes against the ethos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Patser

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Leather is not a desirable option on a bev. Goes against the ethos.

What ethos would that be?

A comfy seat in a fun fast car to drive? If you're talking environmental, vegan ethos - then the car, in fact all EVs should have acceleration and top speed strangled so as to maximise efficiency, minimise recharging and therefore the need for electricity generation, still largely by fossil fuels in Ireland.

But the i3 doesn't, it accelerates incredibly quickly, and incredibly quietly, as at least 1 pigeon in Slane found out to his cost recently. So leather is least of the issues.

Although if you do want to feel all warm and snuggly about the leather :
    100% olive leaf-tanned leather.
    The leather in the BMW i3 is tanned entirely with the natural extract of olive leaves in an environmentally friendly manner. This allows the leather to retain its natural shine and its temperature-balancing character. In addition, after the olive harvest, the olive leaves are left as waste; they can be sensibly used for this purpose.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-cars/bmw-i/2017-bmw-i3/sustainability

Patser wrote: »
    What ethos would that be?

A comfy seat in a fun fast car to drive? If you're talking environmental, vegan ethos - then the car, in fact all EVs should have acceleration and top speed strangled so as to maximise efficiency, minimise recharging and therefore the need for electricity generation, still largely by fossil fuels in Ireland.

But the i3 doesn't, it accelerates incredibly quickly, and incredibly quietly, as at least 1 pigeon in Slane found out to his cost recently. So leather is least of the issues.

Although if you do want to feel all warm and snuggly about the leather :

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-cars/bmw-i/2017-bmw-i3/sustainability

Never felt the love for leather. Cold in winter, hot in summer, gets stained by your jeans if light. Looks terrible when it ages. Expensive. Made from dead cow skin. Usually terrible for the environment. You would never consider it for clothes as it is horrible and sweaty. Became fashionable in the 80's and 90's as luxury. Its not far off fur as a product but less comfortable. Why not just use the skin and fur as a seat product? Most car manufacturers now are not even leather but calling it leather..not sure why. The original velour was the epitome of quality as seen in most early S class mercs before they went to leather.

Having two small Children leather is a God send.

Cows are killed anyway and always will be, you can't beat a good steak !

Leather seats in Winter and Summer isn't really an issue in an EV because of heated seats and you can pre cool it in Summer.

Having two small Children leather is a God send.

Cows are killed anyway and always will be, you can't beat a good steak !

Leather seats in Winter and Summer isn't really an issue in an EV because of heated seats and you can pre cool it in Summer.

Like a good steak myself but paying a couple of k extra so a seat can be cleaned easier? Would you have a leather mattress?

A leather mattress wouldn't be comfortable lol. The leather seats look good and yes, easy to clean is important when you have small Children.

The car came with the leather seats for a great price so didn't cost me anything extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

jsd1004 wrote: »
    Like a good steak myself but paying a couple of k extra so a seat can be cleaned easier? Would you have a leather mattress?

What would be wrong with a leather mattress? I have leather sofas and they are super comfortable. Soft leather and 10 years old now. Have slept on them plenty of times.......reclined. I wouldn't fancy the same leather as say...the Leaf on a mattress. Works well in the car, but not for bed. The type of leather matters a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

What’s the story, Mad_Lad?
    No updates for the last while. How’s the car going?

peposhi wrote: »
    What’s the story, Mad_Lad?
    No updates for the last while. How’s the car going?

Hey,

No updates really, car is great, no problems, almost 40K Kms, will need tyres soon and debating on whether to get proper winter tyres or not, you just never know what kind of a winter you'll get in Ireland.

11 Kw AC charger is just great, love it. Rex is fantastic and I still stand by my decision to get it, the public DC network is a joke and while AC is a lifesaver so too is the Rex, Rex makes up for a disastrous DC Network.

I love every Km in the i3 , it still brings a smile to my face which has no signs of fading. People laugh at the skinny tyres but they're not laughing when they drive it, they're blown away by how good it is.

They see small car and expect 1.0L performance, and are amazed at how roomy it is inside. It's great to see the expressions on people's faces when they put the boot down or take bends at high speed.

I'm now spending my time more on my radio hobby and of course my Two boys who are getting hardier I can do a lot more with them, Shortwave Radio and Amateur radio, a truly fascinating topic, listening to an Amateur radio operator in the U.K talking to another in Australia is just the most fascinating thing ever especially with only 100 odd watts of power when conditions are right. The science of radio is just addictive. Sure not everyone can install a 260 foot dipole antenna or a 40 foot tall vertical antenna but there are many ways people can get on the air these days and with modern transceivers I would be able to remote operate my home transceiver in work over the internet or with my mobile !

Sure you can fire up Skype and chat to someone , yes true but it's never going to be the same, the internet is far too easy, radio is point to point with nothing controlling it in between, you just never know where your signal is going to end up or who you're going to contact and the whole thing is much more civilised than the internet, you got a call sign that links to you so there's no messing around, you abuse others and the hard work you did to get your license, erect antennas 70 feet high etc could all be for nothing. Your license can be taken a lot easier than it is to get, the internet for instance is full of people hiding behind computer screens thinking the are anonymous but nothing could be further from the truth. Anyway at least with amateur radio you can hear human voices, speak to real people, have a bit of banter and share experiences with people interested in the hobby or you can chat about pretty much anything you want. Amateur radio is getting more popular too, probably as more and more people awake from the darkness of social media........

If anyone does not know what shortwave radio is the Google it and check out my SDR's here. Copy and paste the links into your browser.

There's all sorts to listen to on Shortwave and on my SDR's you can hear LW Radio, MW Radio and the amateur bands, if you don't know how to use the software then ask. There are digital modes , you can hear real James bond stuff as agents work in the field, you can hear what's called numbers stations, too long to get into here, all very cool stuff.

You can listen to air traffic control as planes venture out to distances that regular communication methods can't.

On the Amateur bands you will have to select between LSB and USB, google is your man. There's a lot of radio spectrum there to root through and not even all the bands available to amateur use.

http://emeraldsdr1.ddns.net:8073/

http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8074/

Unfortunately , I missed Novembers Amateur exam so will have to wait until May but it will give me plenty of time to study and get my station set up.

I will perhaps visit from time to time, I plan not to unsubscribe from this topic on the i3 and may start other topics but mainly about Amateur radio and not electric cars at least not for the foreseeable.

Hey,

No updates really, car is great, no problems, almost 40K Kms, will need tyres soon and debating on whether to get proper winter tyres or not, you just never know what kind of a winter you'll get in Ireland.

11 Kw AC charger is just great, love it. Rex is fantastic and I still stand by my decision to get it, the public DC network is a joke and while AC is a lifesaver so too is the Rex, Rex makes up for a disastrous DC Network.

I love every Km in the i3 , it still brings a smile to my face which has no signs of fading. People laugh at the skinny tyres but they're not laughing when they drive it, they're blown away by how good it is.

They see small car and expect 1.0L performance, and are amazed at how roomy it is inside. It's great to see the expressions on people's faces when they put the boot down or take bends at high speed.

I'm now spending my time more on my radio hobby and of course my Two boys who are getting hardier I can do a lot more with them, Shortwave Radio and Amateur radio, a truly fascinating topic, listening to an Amateur radio operator in the U.K talking to another in Australia is just the most fascinating thing ever especially with only 100 odd watts of power when conditions are right. The science of radio is just addictive. Sure not everyone can install a 260 foot dipole antenna or a 40 foot tall vertical antenna but there are many ways people can get on the air these days and with modern transceivers I would be able to remote operate my home transceiver in work over the internet or with my mobile !

Sure you can fire up Skype and chat to someone , yes true but it's never going to be the same, the internet is far too easy, radio is point to point with nothing controlling it in between, you just never know where your signal is going to end up or who you're going to contact and the whole thing is much more civilised than the internet, you got a call sign that links to you so there's no messing around, you abuse others and the hard work you did to get your license, erect antennas 70 feet high etc could all be for nothing. Your license can be taken a lot easier than it is to get, the internet for instance is full of people hiding behind computer screens thinking the are anonymous but nothing could be further from the truth. Anyway at least with amateur radio you can hear human voices, speak to real people, have a bit of banter and share experiences with people interested in the hobby or you can chat about pretty much anything you want. Amateur radio is getting more popular too, probably as more and more people awake from the darkness of social media........

If anyone does not know what shortwave radio is the Google it and check out my SDR's here. Copy and paste the links into your browser.

There's all sorts to listen to on Shortwave and on my SDR's you can hear LW Radio, MW Radio and the amateur bands, if you don't know how to use the software then ask. There are digital modes , you can hear real James bond stuff as agents work in the field, you can hear what's called numbers stations, too long to get into here, all very cool stuff.

You can listen to air traffic control as planes venture out to distances that regular communication methods can't.

On the Amateur bands you will have to select between LSB and USB, google is your man. There's a lot of radio spectrum there to root through and not even all the bands available to amateur use.

http://emeraldsdr1.ddns.net:8073/

http://emeraldsdr.ddns.net:8074/

Unfortunately , I missed Novembers Amateur exam so will have to wait until May but it will give me plenty of time to study and get my station set up.

I will perhaps visit from time to time, I plan not to unsubscribe from this topic on the i3 and may start other topics but mainly about Amateur radio and not electric cars at least not for the foreseeable.

Your passion will be missed, Mad_Lad.
    You are some Lad and made a lot of people Mad on here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

It's only a matter of time before you get a new car. You'll be on here again gushing on about how it's the best car in the world, ever. You know you will. :P

I look forward to it. It's fun. :D

• Advertisement

It's only a matter of time before you get a new car. You'll be on here again gushing on about how it's the best car in the world, ever. You know you will. :P

So be it :)

Mad_Lad is a great part of the EV community!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Petrol engine and amateur radio?

Think you were born in the wrong century! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

Soarer wrote: »

Been a radio amateur since 1987, fantastic hobby.

Mad Lad, thanks for the use of your SDR, I use it regularly.
    Will miss your posts about EV's, but look forward to seeing more on the ham radio front.

ei8gp

peposhi wrote: »
    Your passion will be missed, Mad_Lad.
    You are some Lad and made a lot of people Mad on here :)

Thanks, yes I've had some heated conversations on boards and the time and effort I put into it to give the best advice I could but there is a lot more than me now who can fight the cause lol.

I started off in the motors section talking about electric cars, well, it was like the lamb to the slaughter, the abuse was mental but I persisted and persisted until I got the EV section. That alone was an achievement, a new sub section of the motors forum was born ! :D

Some of the people giving abuse in the regular motors section actually ended up EV owners, another achievement. ;)

I'll probably get another car sometime late 2020 so we'll see what happens, but that's two years away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Mad_Lad I'm glad you came back and mentioned the 11kw charger!

I got my REx last week and only just realised that it's a standard single phase cable with the car so I'll have to get a new one to take full advantage of the public chargers.

Soarer wrote: »

Lol, Amateur radio is big business and a very popular hobby that is increasing in popularity. The internet saw CB and Amateur radio interest decline but the internet isn't the big new thing anymore and there are digital modes Amateur radio enthusiasts can use.

As for Petrol, blame the ESB, there hasn't been a single new DC charger installed since 2015 when I git the Leaf. ;)

icom wrote: »
    Been a radio amateur since 1987, fantastic hobby.

Mad Lad, thanks for the use of your SDR, I use it regularly.
    Will miss your posts about EV's, but look forward to seeing more on the ham radio front.

ei8gp

You're most welcome, I have 2 online now. Not cheap I can tell you, Dennis Walters of Bonito Germany gave me a sample of their new Megadipol antenna, he noticed the good publicity I have given their Megaloop FX so he contacted me to offer me the megadipol to try out and if he could link it on his website , due to the low noise at my QTH so I happily said yes and since the Megaloop was now lying idle I decided to get another Kiwi SDR and put it back online.

Everyone seemed to have a Wellbrook so I decided to go against the Norm and go for the Bonito, glad I did, they're excellent antennas.

I am really sorry I never checked out that the November exam was the last until May.....

By the way, if you know a good way I can launch a rope up about 70 foot into a tree please let me know. :D

I haven't chosen a transceiver yet, leaning towards the Yaesu FT-450D good starter rig considering the cost of much older 2nd hand rigs even the FT-450.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Mad_Lad I'm glad you came back and mentioned the 11kw charger!

I got my REx last week and only just realised that it's a standard single phase cable with the car so I'll have to get a new one to take full advantage of the public chargers.

Oh congrats, thought you'd have gone back to ICE ? well done, congrats ! Fabulous car. :D

Yes I had to get a 3 phase lead but make a slight mistake by getting 16 amp instead of 32 amp, 16 amp will give the full 11 Kw on 3 phase but only 3.5-3.7 Kw on single phase , i.e 16 amps.

Anyway no big deal really. I have a 32 amp single phase lead I got with the car.

This is the cable I got.

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/3-phase-coiled-charging-cable-green-g2.html

seems to be out of stock now. Black is in stock ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Oh congrats, thought you'd have gone back to ICE ? well done, congrats ! Fabulous car. :D

Yes I had to get a 3 phase lead but make a slight mistake by getting 16 amp instead of 32 amp, 16 amp will give the full 11 Kw on 3 phase but only 3.5-3.7 Kw on single phase , i.e 16 amps.

Anyway no big deal really. I have a 32 amp single phase lead I got with the car.

This is the cable I got.

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/3-phase-coiled-charging-cable-green-g2.html

seems to be out of stock now. Black is in stock ?

I was on that same site last night.

They have a 3 phase, 32a blue cable, same as the one with the car essentially but 3 phase insewd of single. £189 which isn't too bad.

Could sell the original one, or keep it for my Rolec untethered charger at home.

I'm considering a Zappi tethered upgrade though, depending on the spark price.

Advertisement