Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Experience + Innocence Tour **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales or Requests**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭fafy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not sure to watch the upcoming TV version of the E&I tour or wait for the full DVD release

Still can't get my head around there not ever been a screening or release of one of the shows on the 2017 Joshua Tree tour.

Ya, it was filmed in South America by Anton, i read a limited cineme release was the expectation, but never happened, as i suppose they were on the road for E & i by the time production was finished on that film. Still expect to see this released on dvd.

According to this, the film was at “final stages” of production a year ago:

https://www.atu2.com/news/anton-corbijn-joshua-tree-tour-2017-film-in-finishing-stages.html

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fafy wrote: »
    Ya, it was filmed in South America by Anton, i read a limited cineme release was the expectation, but never happened, as i suppose they were on the road for E & i by the time production was finished on that film. Still expect to see this released on dvd

Hopefully

I've seen them 3 times doing the i&e show, Joshua Tree and e&I show but as much as they were all spectacular my favourite was the 2017 Joshua Tree show.

Been in Croke Park which is such an iconic venue for the band, the setlist was brilliant and it was a one time deal (not this multi city show crap). First time seeing them there and it been a summer night in Dublin. It was great. The opening set with Sunday Bloody Sunday, New years day Bad and Pride till makes my hair stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Hopefully

I've seen them 3 times doing the i&e show, Joshua Tree and e&I show but as much as they were all spectacular my favourite was the 2017 Joshua Tree show.

Been in Croke Park which is such an iconic venue for the band, the setlist was brilliant and it was a one time deal (not this multi city show crap). First time seeing them there and it been a summer night in Dublin. It was great. The opening set with Sunday Bloody Sunday, New years day Bad and Pride till makes my hair stand

One do you mean one time deal? They toured the Joshua tree all over the world, are they not just back from playing it in Asia??

EyesClosed wrote: »
    One do you mean one time deal? They toured the Joshua tree all over the world, are they not just back from playing it in Asia??

It was the one and only Irish date on the tour

As the rumours suggested it was only 1 due to the rolling stones acting the maggot and promising to play a Croke Park date in 2017 using up the 3rd slot but pulled out a few weeks after u2 had sorted things and it ended up being too late to put on a second night (which would of sold well no doubt). To be fair the Stones kept there Croke Park promise and ended up playing there in 2018

Having attended one of the Belfast gigs in November 2015 for I & E, i went to both gigs in Belfast in October 2018 for e & i, one of the smallest venues on the tour, so easy to get in and out etc. Plenty of room for standing, and hastle free, and everyone is closer to the stage, when compared to both I &e, and E &i in Dublin which i was at also. Rammed in -literally. The last two Dublin gigs on both of those tours was great, but Belfast was just so easy in comparison.

If they are back touring indoors again, Belfast is #1 on my list of places to see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

And another for anyone interested in hearing decent audio..

A great closing number...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Having attended one of the Belfast gigs in November 2015 for I & E, i went to both gigs in Belfast in October 2018 for e & i, one of the smallest venues on the tour, so easy to get in and out etc. Plenty of room for standing, and hastle free, and everyone is closer to the stage, when compared to both I &e, and E &i in Dublin which i was at also. Rammed in -literally. The last two Dublin gigs on both of those tours was great, but Belfast was just so easy in comparison.

If they are back touring indoors again, Belfast is #1 on my list of places to see them.

Totally agree, was in Dublin for I&E and Belfast for E&I and Belfast was much better.

One of my personal favs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Totally agree, was in Dublin for I&E and Belfast for E&I and Belfast was much better.

I thought E&I had a better setlist than I&E ,the Achtung Baby section was great.
    I&E had a better encore though with Bad and 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Are they playing Electric Picnic next year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Are they playing Electric Picnic this year.

Unlikely as it was already on this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

martin101 wrote: »
    Unlikely as it was already on this year

Corrected. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Memories from the Dublin show (night 2)

Remember missed bloody 'elevation' one cause the ques in the jacks and the cartoon intermission was shorter than I thought

Someone knocked a drink and ruined my programme

Great night and setlist, hard to knw what there next tour will be. Probably nothing much they can do with that setup

[quote="PTH2009;112115549"
    Great night and setlist, hard to knw what there next tour will be. Probably nothing much they can do with that setup[/quote]

Agreed, Its been used on two tours, and they enhanced what it could do for E &i, so its done, time for something new

Agreed, Its been used on two tours, and they enhanced what it could do for E &i, so its done, time for something new

and hopefully a long rest before it as u2 ticket prices are pretty high :D

and hopefully a long rest before it as u2 ticket prices are pretty high :D

For standing, i disagree, and a good bit off, the extortionate G & R standing pricing. €140 ish to get to the front. U2’s last tour was about €90 for the same spot.Their tours are cutting edge in terms of new ideas, new technology, and new live experiences. They have never precluded a fan, getting to the front of stage by simply paying more. Yes they did the Red Zone thing which they have been doing consistently doing since 2009, , which is for charity, but that did not stop a fan with a standard standing ticket, getting to the very front, if they so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Havent seen a U2 concert in about 6 or 7 years but watched the I&E show from Berlin on Sky Arts last night and it struck me how much talking Bono does between songs, it was like every song had to be introduced with some sort of background story or speech.

Have seen them a few times before at Slane, Landsowne and those gigs were full on intensity with each song leading into the next one. Must say I was a bit bored watching I&E as it felt like the crowd never really got worked up into a frenzy as he slowed it down between every song to say something. It didnt feel like the U2 concerts I've known from the past, it felt very flat in comparison. Was left wondering what the other 3 band members are thinking standing there with instruments in hand ready to go while Bono is off on another three or four minute speech between songs. Part of me wondered are they trying to save his voice, I know he's had problems with it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Havent seen a U2 concert in about 6 or 7 years but watched the I&E show from Berlin on Sky Arts last night and it struck me how much talking Bono does between songs, it was like every song had to be introduced with some sort of background story or speech.

Have seen them a few times before at Slane, Landsowne and those gigs were full on intensity with each song leading into the next one. Must say I was a bit bored watching I&E as it felt like the crowd never really got worked up into a frenzy as he slowed it down between every song to say something. It didnt feel like the U2 concerts I've known from the past, it felt very flat in comparison. Was left wondering what the other 3 band members are thinking standing there with instruments in hand ready to go while Bono is off on another three or four minute speech between songs. Part of me wondered are they trying to save his voice, I know he's had problems with it in the past.

I was at that concert and there was plenty of energy from the crowd and it wasn't at all flat. I suppose it's something that videos don't always capture. With U2 you get more of a show than a straight up concert with lots of visuals and talking by Bono. Elements of the I&E and E&I tours were very much about the story of U2 which also accounted for alot of the talk between songs.

• Advertisement

The editing of the show probably hid a lot of crowd noise etc

Only saw a few mins of it and it looked good. Looking forward to the full release on DVD whenever it comes out

lazer.blue wrote: »
    I was at that concert and there was plenty of energy from the crowd and it wasn't at all flat. I suppose it's something that videos don't always capture. With U2 you get more of a show than a straight up concert with lots of visuals and talking by Bono. Elements of the I&E and E&I tours were very much about the story of U2 which also accounted for alot of the talk between songs.

Yeah video doesnt always capture atmosphere but I just felt by the talking between songs it affected the atmosphere, at least thats the way it came across and I didnt really see the crowd worked up into a frenzy at any point like Id expect from a U2 concert. It wasnt like he was just saying a couple of sentences in between songs, it was proper 2-3 minute speeches which i thought detracted from a concert where you want a fast tempo to stay constant.

I get they are trying to tell the story of U2 but they could have done that via the giant video walls rather than having a 4 minute song then a 3 minute speech introducing another 4 minute song then back to another speech, etc. For me it was a world apart from seeing them at those legendary concerts in Slane where they just bashed out hit after hit with minimal talking between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Muahahaha wrote: »

Don’t think it has anything to do with his voice, but you’re right, there was a surprising amount of chat..I don’t recall as much at the Belfast show I was at.I think Bono feels the ‘narrative’ element is an important part of the Innocence & Experience themes of those two tours.
    Personally, I was more bothered by the utterly passionless personas of the rhythm section...To be fair , Bono and The Edge appear to be enjoying themselves, but the other two look either bored rigid or not quite sure where they are.

The other downer is the increasing
    amount of musical ‘embellishments ‘ being added to songs with every passing tour. These programmed effects are making the band sound less ‘LIVE’ than ever before.
    Still, you have to give them credit for still putting on a better live show than almost all of their peers or pretenders!
    There’s always Zoo TV Live from Sydney or Live from Red Rocks to remind you of how great they were!

The other downer is the increasing
    amount of musical ‘embellishments ‘ being added to songs with every passing tour
    . These programmed effects are making the band sound less ‘LIVE’ than ever before.
    Still, you have to give them credit for still putting on a better live show than almost all of their peers or pretenders!
    There’s always Zoo TV Live from Sydney or Live from Red Rocks to remind you of how great they were!

Actually had noticed that a little bit too, songs not quite sounding like you know them from the album, rearranged differently with different notes on key parts. There were parts where the crowd sung the 'wrong' note because it had been changed from what they know.

Loved the Zoo TV tour, still think it is their best work ever, from the intro with Bonos shadow on the giant screens to the end it was just pure perfection. Their show in Lansdowne still ranks as one of the best gigs Ive ever been at and thats covering more than 20 years of gigs at this point. Have never seen Live from Red Rocks, must check it out.

I dunno, perhaps its because Im not as big a U2 fan as I was in the past. But I just wasnt getting excited watching the I&E concert from Berlin. I've long since quit scrapping for U2 tickets anyway so it makes no odds to me and am glad I got to see them several times in their pomp.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Alot of the changes to songs could well be because of Bonos struggles with his voice. Red Hill Mining Town is a more obvious example of that. At times during the JT 2017 & 2019 tours you could say he was more speaking than singing the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Don’t think it has anything to do with his voice, but you’re right, there was a surprising amount of chat..I don’t recall as much at the Belfast show I was at.I think Bono feels the ‘narrative’ element is an important part of the Innocence & Experience themes of those two tours.
    Personally, I was more bothered by the utterly passionless personas of the rhythm section...To be fair , Bono and The Edge appear to be enjoying themselves, but the other two look either bored rigid or not quite sure where they are.

I didn't notice the extra chat this tour to be honest ,there was alot more talk in the second half of the show than the first half.
    On previous tours Bono would have trotted out the exact same speech every night at the same time but it was mixed up a good bit this tour,which was nice .

I like a bit of chat ,especially something relevant to the particular country ,I don't like it when bands just come out and play song after song with the obligatory trite lines like "Hey insert city" and "Its great to be here in insert city"

The 2018 shows did not drag ,they flew along ,I went 3 nights in Dublin.

Obviously the shows weren't as good as Zoo TV as you rightly say ,that tour was groundbreaking and raised the bar for stadium tours.
    Indoors and up close ,you rarely get top see that with U2 and its always a treat .
    The Elevation tour and the last 2 indoor tours were thoroughly enjoyable experiences seeing a band up close indoors .

I didn't like the Joshua Tree at all in comparison ,they looked dwarfed by the screen and the usage of the screen was poorly utilised.
    Having the concert start in daylight also diminished the lighting effects and the sound in Croke Park and Twickenham was poor.

Those crazy mega fans love all the bono BS and really think he is god

I dont feel any of the u2 gigs I was at fell flat. The screens and theatrics were impressive. The I&E show in 2015 was my first time seeing them live and after the 3rd time (only saw them once on each of there last 3 tours) felt that was the weakest of the 3 in terms of visuals but I suppose it was there first tour in years and a newish concept. For me the setlist of I&E tour was amazing and then moved up a notch for the Joshua Tree in 2017. The E&I setlist was pretty different on paper but by god it was great, never knw Achtung baby had such greatness on it

Probably be a few years til they come back with a new show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

A nice Christmas present for U2 fans

U2Start have uploaded a superb audio recording of the full Saturday night concert in Dublin last year .

https://mega.nz/#!AsNimaYK!fBFY4n7QX0B_dQRhefjb4_pG1T68jOLIZAP_3LAtmX0

Thanks for letting us know about this, MisterAnarchy!
    I’ve downloaded a few concerts from them in the past, but the sound quality has never been as excellent as this recording...Great to have !
    Now to get a few blank CDs!

Are they releasing the DVD of the tour or was it only for the Fan club ??

Would love a Blu Ray/4K of the show

• Advertisement

Are they releasing the DVD of the tour or was it only for the Fan club ??

Would love a Blu Ray/4K of the show

My understanding is a general release is (or was at least) planned, with extras etc that won’t be on the fanclub “gig” only version.

There is also the Anton Corbijn JT tour film in South America, thats ready also apparently. Maybe they might package that in with E & I dvd- speculation of course !

Advertisement