Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 17-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Overton is visibly in pain after each delivery

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Closing in on another record here, 624 is the record for the team batting second at Perth.

619/7 right now.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

If you could bank on the weather the plan would ideally be to bat to tea and back the bowlers to get it done in 4 sessions, but I think he will get a declaration done at lunch whatever the score.

Lunch, the lead is 240 with a big help from the last over Cummins v Ali, a huge 6 included.

Its a little short of what I have thought he would declare on, see what happens I guess but a declaration wouldn't be out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

England completely goosed with both openers gone.

• Advertisement

Root handing out the Christmas presents early

Can the rain save England?

Four wickets gone for 100. Only the rain can do it now.

Questionable abandoning of play for the day there. Glimmer of hope for England thougj

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

I have been watching the Ashes for the first time. Can someone explain how it could possibly be a draw? Is there a limit on 5 days? I.e if England are still batting by close tomorrow due to the rain- it will be deemed a draw? Seems very unfair

• Advertisement

Chiarrai19 wrote: »
    I have been watching the Ashes for the first time. Can someone explain how it could possibly be a draw? Is there a limit on 5 days? I.e if England are still batting by close tomorrow due to the rain- it will be deemed a draw? Seems very unfair

Basically you must bowl the other team out to win. If England bat out the day, surviving they will earn a draw. If they set a target Australia fail to reach it will be a draw also. There is a 5 day limit yes. Rain can and has saved many a team from defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Great updates throughout the series StringerB, thanks.

Pity it looks like it won't be alive for Melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chiarrai19

Basically you must bowl the other team out to win. If England bat out the day, surviving they will earn a draw. If they set a target Australia fail to reach it will be a draw also. There is a 5 day limit yes. Rain can and has saved many a team from defeat.
    Thanks for the reply. So if England don’t reach the 127 tomorrow due to the rain or they exceed 127 and are still batting it will be a draw. Looks good for them (for the draw)in my opinion as I can’t see them losing 6 wickets in the little time available to bat (when it’s due to rain all day)

Great updates throughout the series StringerB, thanks.

Pity it looks like it won't be alive for Melbourne.

Melbourne likely to be all about England avoiding the whitewash. Can't beat the boxing day test, especially when it's the ashes

Weather forecast in Perth looks like it's going to save England from defeat anyway.

Just the four wickets left to get in 50 overs if no more rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Attendances have been shocking for this Ashes. Crucial final day of test and stadium more than half empty. Test cricket doesn't capture the general publics imagination anymore

The fat lady clearing her throat...

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Attendances have been shocking for this Ashes. Crucial final day of test and stadium more than half empty. Test cricket doesn't capture the general publics imagination anymore

Have attendances not been very Good?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Have attendances not been very Good?

I wouldn't be surprised if attendances were poor this year. Abject England performance probably means a lot of ex pats not bothering, genuine fans who want to see decent contests rather than procession not bothering. They are massive stadia to try and fill too, sell outs aren't easy in a lot of Aussie grounds.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Going from 368/4 in the first innings to losing the ashes in an innings defeat is impressively crap. Even for England

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looking like a whitewash against the worst Australia time of our lifetimes. I wonder how England management will weasel out of this one.

Last time it was all KPs fault. Last winter in India they laid it all on Cook. Stokes will probably get the blame this time.

Maybe Paul Farbrace might stop being such a media whore and finally throw Bayliss under the bus. Farbrace has all the guys over at Sky buttered up by now how he'll be in pole position for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

According to the good people of twitter, over the last five years England have won 4 of 25 away Test matches. 16%win rate, now that's garbage.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Pity it's not England coming to Dublin in May so.

I wouldn't be surprised if attendances were poor this year. Abject England performance probably means a lot of ex pats not bothering, genuine fans who want to see decent contests rather than procession not bothering. They are massive stadia to try and fill too, sell outs aren't easy in a lot of Aussie grounds.

Yeah but from memory, watching and listening to the commentators there seems to have been very good attendance overall. The freak storm in Perth was likely to keep people away in fairness today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Rekop dog wrote: »

5th Day of a test on Monday or Tuesday has always been a hard sell even when test cricket was in its relative prime.
    I remember from tests in the 80s that the BBC would usually mention a few times that tickets were available for 3quid walk-up and basically beg people to drop in.

Combination of it being general policy not to do pre-sales for D5, and the fact that a D5 game is usually in one of two situations - either dribbling to a dour draw or a team needing just a handful of runs or wickets to win meaning there'll be only a few hours play.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Any simpsons fans here?

25550523_10155902124328905_7999250761614702492_n.jpg?oh=4e0f267b2e459c80f4b6f2961f23bbf1&oe=5ABA84F0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Bad start for England in the 4th Test. Lost the toss and Aus chose to bat. 37-0 after 13 overs. Low run rate but new ball softening and both batsmen ready to start hitting now. Could be a long day for England!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Bad start for England in the 4th Test. Lost the toss and Aus chose to bat. 37-0 after 13 overs. Low run rate but new ball softening and both batsmen ready to start hitting now. Could be a long day for England!

It’ll be a long night for us all after the days festivities :) Hope England get stuck in and make a game of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Advertisement