Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 17-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anderson gets his five for.

138 all out. Just the record breaking chase of 354 required for England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Australia all out for 138.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

They couldn't could they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

More than a day to do it - a steady Cook at the start and yeah I think they can !

• Advertisement

Cook out. Big wicket

And now stoneman. It's the hope that must kill the England fans

If you had Stokes and Butler in the middle order you'd give them slim hope but can't see Vince or Malan offering Root much in the way of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Plenty of time for England, this should be a very good finish now they have fully taken advantage of Smiths error (imo) in terms of getting Australia out before they were ready. Get a bit of confidence back, even to carry forward to the next Test.

Next session is obviously a biggie, see how they go under lights.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The England batsmen have yet to show anything this series that would suggest they can knuckle down and grind out an innings. If they emerge from this session 130/2 or 130/3 then they will have a chance. I can see them ending on something like 180/7 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Vince gets out like that so often. Leave the ball.

I'd have brought Moeen in next with Root instead of Malan. They need an experienced international partnership out there at times like this.

Hazlewood and Starc both been loose, other then that they have controlled the RR again quite well from where it had been, tomorrow is going to be a cracker of a day!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

England are looking very, very good. Getting the little breaks of luck now too which they will certainly need. This could be a memorable Test, Starc has been fairly horrible by the way

England have 151 runs, they have about 64 off Starc alone like

loved the Barmy Army telling Smith to review that last one :D

Aegir wrote: »
    loved the Barmy Army telling Smith to review that last one :D

Ah they are at it the whole time now :D

Smith is definitely very riled up, and the Australians are very frustrated out there. Won't be an easy nights sleep for Smith, need to really regroup and come out focused again tomorrow.

Just as I post!

Cummins gets Malan

Absolutely beautiful, pure pace. Takes the top of his off stump, perfect length.

Woakes is in as the watchman, bout 10 minutes of play left.

Brilliant from Cummins, he has been good.

Very important for Root now to just hold on and make sure he doesn't get out before the end.

England well on top here

176/4 at stumps.

Smithy is gonna be one worried captain tonight.

• Advertisement

England well on top here

176/4 at stumps.

Smithy is gonna be one worried captain tonight.

I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that they're well on top. Aus clearly still strong favourites from this position by any measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Was listening to some Aussie commentary in work all morning. They sounded very worried, they are bad winners but even worse losers, I would love to see England see this out.

If Root and Woakes bat out the first session, then you would have to fancy England's chances. A wicket early doors puts the game right back in to Australia's hands.

Root going early and it is game over.

Test cricket, it's boring, right? :D

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I'm not sure how you can come to the conclusion that they're well on top. Aus clearly still strong favourites from this position by any measure.

England have been well on top all day today, you hardly dispute that?

Aegir wrote: »
    If Root and Woakes bat out the first session, then you would have to fancy England's chances. A wicket early doors puts the game right back in to Australia's hands.

Root going early and it is game over.

Test cricket, it's boring, right? :D

Root is the crucial wicket alright, he has batted brilliantly leading from the front. Showing real grit out there too and giving the rest of them something to look up to.

Woakes is a handy bastman, Ali and Bairstow to come too so runs could very well come at a good clip.

I can see Stuart Broad hitting the winning runs before tea tomorrow :D

Or a typical swift batting collapse once Root is taken care of, also before tea!

Cummins has bowled really well, he looks to be getting a bit of reverse too which will be interesting for the morning session. The new ball is 18 overs away.

Starc has been bad, Josh has good control and Lyon always looks likely, a 5th bowling option would be handy in these situations.

As I said earlier, gonna be a cracker of a final day either way

England have been well on top all day today, you hardly dispute that?

They've improve their position from almost hopeless yesterday to given themselves a fighting chance tomorrow but you'd prefer to be in Australia's position right now all day long.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    They've improve their position from almost hopeless yesterday to given themselves a fighting chance tomorrow but you'd prefer to be in Australia's position right now all day long.

The two are mutually exclusive though.

Day 4: England well on top.
    Day 5: Australia still favourites

Maybe you misunderstood my post? Maybe my post wasn't clear? Either way

The ask isn't as big as you might think either, time is not an issue at all. You have Root in and set, looking in good touch. More batting to come and a couple of big hitters at that. Australia have no reviews left, England have 2. Australia are frustrated and England are in the ascendancy.

It is a big ask, don't get me wrong. It is not mission impossible though,that batting surface is still good.

After day 2 I would have given England about a 2% chance of coming out of this with a win, after day 4 I think they have a much better chance than that!

The two are mutually exclusive though.

Day 4: England well on top.
    Day 5: Australia still favourites

Maybe you misunderstood my post? Maybe my post wasn't clear? Either way
    !

We're probably getting bogged down in semantics. I'd take well on top meaning likely to win.

But anyway hopefully it comes down to the wire and we get some excitement tomorrow morning, can't see it happening myself.

Yeah I get it, you thought I meant well on top in the Test, I only meant well on top in terms of that days play :)

All good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So 177 behind with six wickets in hand for England.

Advertisement