Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashes 17-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

England goosed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

And that’s that. Such a shame to see England collapse like that after working so hard to get back into the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Can't see them getting anything in Perth, all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The collapse is so familiar :D

Some positives to take forward? Showed fight to take it to the final day and give themselves a sniff after the opening two days I guess.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

They cant keep expecting Broad and Anderson to win matches for them.

Roots conversion from 50s to 100s is shocking.

The Batting lacks bottle, they make it look easy against poor Bowling attacks, but regularly fall apart against quality, instaed of digging it out.

If you take out Roots 67, and Overton and Woakes in the first Innings, the scoring was terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

England have not won in Perth since 1978, this will be tied up by Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They cant keep expecting Broad and Anderson to win matches for them.

Roots conversion from 50s to 100s is shocking.

The Batting lacks bottle, they make it look easy against poor Bowling attacks, but regularly fall apart against quality, instaed of digging it out.

If you take out Roots 67, and Overton and Woakes in the first Innings, the scoring was terrible

It's the one thing that sets himself apart from Kohli and Smith. Smith is pretty much 50:50 to convert. Kohli has a conversation rate of 15 fifties and 20 ton+ scores.

Root will likely end his career with 50+ average and may even be considered England's greatest ever batsman but he just seems that one notch below the other 2. A bit like everyone versus Messi/Ronaldo.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Can't see them getting anything in Perth, all over.
    It's looking bad, but equally this England team have shown they have the talent. Yes it's 40 years since they won there, but you could also look at it as a case of a win is long overdue. Equally in this day and age many more Tests are producing positive results. Who knows Perth could be decided by the toss of the coin

If they can get the upper hand and win at the WACA we could well be set up for an exciting couple of tests over XMas and the New Year

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    It's looking bad, but equally this England team have shown they have the talent. Yes it's 40 years since they won there, but you could also look at it as a case of a win is long overdue. Equally in this day and age many more Tests are producing positive results. Who knows Perth could be decided by the toss of the coin

If they can get the upper hand and win at the WACA we could well be set up for an exciting couple of tests over XMas and the New Year

Never has a glass been more half full. (if that were possible) It'd be lovely if it panned out like that but I'm more in the two hopes school of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Lyon’s record on the next three pitches, particuarly the last two isn’t great, that’ll make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Lyon’s record on the next three pitches, particuarly the last two isn’t great, that’ll make a difference.

Possibly but I imagine when he gets to bowl at a load of lefties thatll improve.

I hope England switch Bairstow back with Ali and tell him to go and attack Lyon in the middle order. Maybe dent his confidence a little.

Whilst he has been bowling very well all the English players at just blocking in the crease to him non-stop. That just allows him to get into a rhythm and wheel away from one end.

Looking forward to seeing Mitch Marsh come in for the next Test. Handscomb will surely be the one to make way, I'd put him in at 6 personally, he is in good touch with the bat. Be nice to be able to have a bit of back up for the seamers too, Lyon probably won't have as much success on a WACA surface.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

In most parts of the world pouring a pint over Jimmy Andersons head would be seen as a the right thing to do whatever the circumstance :)

In most parts of the world pouring a pint over Jimmy Andersons head would be seen as a the right thing to do whatever the circumstance :)

Duckett's been scapegoated. Apparently there were several other players doing exactly the same thing. Fupp em, England's loss is Northants gain.

Very foolish as a touring squad in general, literally the first night the curfew was relaxed for!

I dunno, will obviously have no bearing on the Ashes series itself but another but of bad pr for ECB to be dealing with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's another unnecessary distraction, imagine being Bayliss having to deal with this crap and the resulting press while you desperately need to focus on the cricket

Moving Bairstow up is a good move imo

Andrew Strauss has left the tour, his wife has been diagnosed with cancer.

• Advertisement

Andrew Strauss has left the tour, his wife has been diagnosed with cancer.

Could have sworn I heard he left already, after the first Test I thought. Either way, horrible news and hopefully it is a very treatable form and she makes a full recovery.

Could have sworn I heard he left already, after the first Test I thought. Either way, horrible news and hopefully it is a very treatable form and she makes a full recovery.

He flew home after the 2nd test and isn't coming back. Yeah, dreadful news, hopefully she'll be OK.

Despicable if true, cricket is rife with it unfortunately but I did like to pretend the Ashes were played straight.

162/4 England. No collapse but nothing to get too excited about either. Stoneman wicket was a dodgy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

KevIRL wrote: »
    162/4 England. No collapse but nothing to get too excited about either. Stoneman wicket was a dodgy one.

just over 2 hours later and they look good now, 246/4 and Malan on course for a century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Malan on course for a century.

Oh my god, dropped on the first delivery with a new ball.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Excellent session for England. Barring the first couple of overs with the new ball Bairstow and Malan looked really solid and applied themselves throughout. Great to see to be honest.

Set up very well for the match now. If they can add on 150+ tomorrow theyll have a great chance of getting themselves back into the series

KevIRL wrote: »

Nothing dodgy at all :confused:

Clearer and clearer with each replay. Good day for England, Bairstow moving up has to be seen as a successful move too with the partnership.

They may not actually lose this Test match!

• Advertisement

Some stuff this partnership

Advertisement