Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Believe Dogs Have Feelings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

McCrack wrote: »
    It appears to be having a seizure

Looks like heatstroke.

Dogs don't cry like humans do. Tho difficulty breathing that that dog is having is very serious and worrying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I didn't watch the video but how does the dog know its owner is in the grave? Can it distinguish the smell of decomposing flesh down to the individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I assume these people who think they don't have emotions don't have pets. Like **** they don't have emotions and empathy with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

kylith wrote: »
    Course they do. My dog was in a sulk with me for days after I went on holiday and left him in kennels.

Most animals have feelings, at least basic ones.

Likewise.
    I collected my dog, a lab, after leaving her in the kennels for a couple of days when I had to go abroad for my dads funeral , and she had a massive sulk. Wouldn't aknoweledge me when I collected her and it was hours later before she would "speak" to me.
    Yes, dogs have feelings.
    They also have a sense of humour. But that's for a different thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

100%

I have 2 and if the older one gets upset he'll poop on the floor. If I'm away from him for any length of time he'll poop, if he gets given out to he'll poop, if he isn't played with or given enough attention he'll poop.

They worry, they sulk, they get excited, they know when they're bold. They have lots of feelings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

100%

I have 2 and if the older one gets upset he'll poop on the floor. If I'm away from him for any length of time he'll poop, if he gets given out to he'll poop, if he isn't played with or given enough attention he'll poop.

They worry, they sulk, they get excited, they know when they're bold. They have lots of feelings

Sooooo......they feel like they want to poop lots.

I jest!

Sooooo......they feel like they want to poop lots.

I jest!
    Haha if I upset him he takes a dump on my polished porcelain tiles

Haha if I upset him he takes a dump on my polished porcelain tiles

Shoesday if ever I was expecting a reply to a thread it was yours :)

Shoesday if ever I was expecting a reply to a thread it was yours :)
    :o I'm a bit obsessed

This is me

IMG_6425.jpg
    upload gifs online

:o I'm a bit obsessed

This is me

IMG_6425.jpg
    upload gifs online

Well there are worse obsessions.....enjoy :)
    Its unconditional.......I wanna doggie!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

diomed wrote: »
    Dogs or cats never get upset or teary eyed when someone gets knocked out on the X factor.
    They have no feelings.

Not true. My dog watches X factor. He often had to hit the "paws" button on the remote,and take a moment for himself ,that year that Jedward kept getting through.

He's alright now, but he found it upsetting at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

This chart gives a good example of the emotions and feelings that dogs experience. It's widely understood that dogs develop to the mental ability of a 2yr old child, so basically having a dog is like owning a hairy toddler - needs toilet training, feeding, mental stimulation, praise, guidance etc.

It's quite important to note what they don't experience - guilt being one of them, but one that lots dog owners believe their dogs capable of. What tends to happen is that dogs learn that their owners are angry, or give out to them based on an association, be that their owners tone, body language or worse (if they hit the dog. We misinterpret what we perceive as guilt, but is actually fear.

120380-118513.jpg?itok=36JtqovX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

In times like this I always think of my grandfather's JRT. Bought as pup when gramps retired to be his companion as he moved into his senior years.
    Absolutely devoted to each other ,however turned out the bastard dog was a psychopath.
    He bit everyone , me and 26 cousins and various aunts and uncle.
    Things came to a head when he bit a doctor on a house call to visit my grandfather.
    So the day came when he was brought to the pound where he bit two more staff .So yes I do believe dogs have feelings , rage comes to my mind.

I now have my own JRT and he likes a fry for breakfast on the weekend.
    My grandfather had a Jack Russell and I remember he was a vicious little fecker. Anytime the postman would come to the door he would act like a lunatic and my grandfather would have to leave him out the back yard even though he was classed as a house dog and was very calm around family members. What is it with dogs and postman.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

I believe that dogs have a Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

McCrack wrote: »
    It appears to be having a seizure

My father went away for a week and I was minding his German Shepard. She did this a couple of evenings. She was able to walk around and jump up on the couch for a cuddle while doing it so definitely not a seizure or heatstroke. She pined like crazy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Crea wrote: »
    My father went away for a week and I was minding his German Shepard. She did this a couple of evenings. She was able to walk around and jump up on the couch for a cuddle while doing it so definitely not a seizure or heatstroke. She pined like crazy for him.

Could be a temper tantrum. My friend's dog fakes fits when she's frustrated.

My grandfather had a Jack Russell and I remember he was a vicious little fecker. Anytime the postman would come to the door he would act like a lunatic and my grandfather would have to leave him out the back yard even though he was classed as a house dog and was very calm around family members. What is it with dogs and postman.

Territoriality.

Dogs love their home and their family, some dogs take it to another level guarding their territory and JRTS are well known for it. Basically the postman serves as a daily reminder that the dog is doing a good job. He or she approaches the house so doggy barks his little head off. Postman leaves letters and walks away and isn't invited in. Doggy is completely reassured that they did a good job scaring Postman away. Gates, doorbells/ doorknobs are all triggers for the behaviour.

Territoriality.

Dogs love their home and their family, some dogs take it to another level guarding their territory and JRTS are well known for it. Basically the postman serves as a daily reminder that the dog is doing a good job. He or she approaches the house so doggy barks his little head off. Postman leaves letters and walks away and isn't invited in. Doggy is completely reassured that they did a good job scaring Postman away. Gates, doorbells/ doorknobs are all triggers for the behaviour.

Funny enough you should say that my dog always barks when the door bell rings or if the courier drops off a parcel. I suppose It's a good reminder if you have some uninvited guests trying to break into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Think dogs can feel ashamed or at least approximate it.

My friend had a dog that found a load of easter eggs that he'd stashed away. Walked in and immediately heard said mutt scooting upstairs sharpish. Leaving a scene of wrappers, half eaten eggs and carnage. Mutt was found hiding under bed with an extremely hangdog look on his face.

Also puked afterwards, of course.

Think dogs can feel ashamed or at least approximate it.

My friend had a dog that found a load of easter eggs that he'd stashed away. Walked in and immediately heard said mutt scooting upstairs sharpish. Leaving a scene of wrappers, half eaten eggs and carnage. Mutt was found hiding under bed with an extremely hangdog look on his face.

Also puked afterwards, of course.

Again if you refer back to the chart I posted on the previous page - it's not shame/guilt - even though they do a brilliant job of putting on a demeanor that we associate with it - but it is primarily Fear. Fear of the reaction because they recognise/hear their human is angry, and when human gets angry, bad things might happen, so best to put on the avoidance behaviour look, because they've learned in the past that it slightly appeases their humans.

Lucky that he puked, chocolate, or to be precise theobromine, is very poisonous to dogs. A high cocoa content bar of chocolate (probably about half a bar of dark Green and Blacks organic) can kill a dog. Although most of our regular milk chocolate is far higher in sugar and less cocoa so caused sickness rather than poisoning. Not worth the risk though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

natashaob6 wrote: »
    When i'm on the phone and i put it on loud speaker as soon as he hears my sons voice he stands on all fours with he's ears pricked up and sometimes runs around the sitting room with excitement. So I was wondering does anyone else out there have a pet dog that might react in a similar way and if so do you believe a dog has feelings.

Is it definitely a dog ye?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This chart gives a good example of the emotions and feelings that dogs experience. It's widely understood that dogs develop to the mental ability of a 2yr old child, so basically having a dog is like owning a hairy toddler - needs toilet training, feeding, mental stimulation, praise, guidance etc.

It's quite important to note what they don't experience - guilt being one of them, but one that lots dog owners believe their dogs capable of. What tends to happen is that dogs learn that their owners are angry, or give out to them based on an association, be that their owners tone, body language or worse (if they hit the dog. We misinterpret what we perceive as guilt, but is actually fear.

120380-118513.jpg?itok=36JtqovX

It’s a theory but it’s difficult to say for certain that’s is accurate given the complexity of those emotions.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Is it definitely a dog ye?
    Of course it is. Well i think so it has four legs a tail and it barks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Of course it is. Well i think so it has four legs a tail and it barks.

It wasn't standing on all fours though. Or maybe it was. I don't know if a standing dog, equates to just a normal dog, like when it's walking, or when a dog gets up on its hind legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'm pretty sure my dog had feelings the last time i kicked him in the bollix

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Have you nothing better to do than posting this awful stupid comment.

You could do with a good kick in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

Aren't you hard as nails :rolleyes:

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I feel my dog is like a mute human . sometimes I think he is going to scream NO !!!!!!!! like Ceaser the ape in Rise of Planet of the Apes........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭davidk1394

All animals are sentient beings which means they have the same basic feelings as us. Cows sheep, pigs are a lot like dogs. If you feed them or care for them they will remember you and follow you around. Dogs also have primal insticts such as hunting. So when dogs attacked our sheep they were full of adrenaline and only had one thing on their mind but when caught he knew the jig was up but it was too late for apology at that stage.

Advertisement