Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Believe Dogs Have Feelings?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Yes, I believe dogs have feelings but I think peoples are more important!
    Is there any need to say this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm just a total and utter nihilist

If that were in any way true, you wouldn't say you loved dogs.;)
    Look I love dogs I just find the fawning over them ridiculous the way we treat the animals we eat.
    It's perfectly rational to absolutely love your pet and also be partial to a nice rare steak. Pet owners don't have to be signed up members of PETA to justify themselves. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, but they aren't intensively bred for the food chain. (the fact that some are extensively bred by puppy farmers and back yard breeders is for another thread) It's also perfectly rational to be emotionally attached to a horse, or a pet pig/calf/lamb whatever - but the logistics of keeping a livestock animal your average 3 bed semi tends to limit it. Grand if you live rurally or can afford stabling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It's perfectly rational to absolutely love your pet and also be partial to a nice rare steak. Pet owners don't have to be signed up members of PETA to justify themselves. Dogs have been domesticated for thousands of years, but they aren't intensively bred for the food chain. (the fact that some are extensively bred by puppy farmers and back yard breeders is for another thread) It's also perfectly rational to be emotionally attached to a horse, or a pet pig/calf/lamb whatever - but the logistics of keeping a livestock animal your average 3 bed semi tends to limit it. Grand if you live rurally or can afford stabling.

I'm aware of all this. I just find it difficult to understand how the adoration of dogs is so separate to factory farming and the welfare of the animals we eat. I'd like to live in a world where we eat way less meat and treat the ones we do eat a lot better. But I never will live in that world so who cares really...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yep, most animals would be similar. Used to hang out with cows growing up and they were essentially big goofy dogs. It was what eventually made me stop eating them even though it was hard.

When my cats sister died she was depressed for a very long time and never went to where she died ever again. Never saw her like it before or since. If I play a recording of her sisters meow she freaks out even though she hadn't heard it for years.

Not to mention all the normal things, you hit an animal they become scared of you, you show them love they show it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

If thats a serious question you're in the wrong forum...
    How do you make that one out? Well if I am either way posters seem to be happy enough to discuss the topic here.
    It's a question that will get more serious and informed answers on the animal forum really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I'm aware of all this. I just find it difficult to understand how the adoration of dogs is so separate to factory farming and the welfare of the animals we eat. I'd like to live in a world where we eat way less meat and treat the ones we do eat a lot better. But I never will live in that world so who cares really...
    as for you...you should read the story of the starfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Because a pet owner is looking for nothing more than companionship and unconditional love from the dog they buy or rescue. Few people want the same feeling from a livestock animal, but as I stated above, it does happen.

As Irish farming goes, our meat is traceable, and welfare standards are good for the likes of livestock, live exports aside. As far as chicken and egg production goes, I wouldn't be so sure. I always buy free range chickens and eggs, but there are people who don't bat an eyelid at buying battery eggs and €3 chickens and see nothing wrong with that. It would be interesting to see whether these are pet owners, and if they are - do they treat their pets as part of the family or as you say, fawn over them, or are they pets that are isolated outside and treated like garden ornaments. If you treat your pets well, buy them decent food, with decent ingredients, then it tends to follow that you care what you eat yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Feelings no. They have primal reactions just as most animals like fear, anger and joy. But feelings like guilt, shame or pride are just something humans want to see in them. A lot of people say dogs and cats have facial expressions as well which is also no true but still people believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I ordered this book about a Border Collie
    Chaser: Unlocking the Genius of the Dog Who Knows 1000 Words

Yes, animals have feelings.
    Dogs are happy when they are going for a walk.
    I think dogs sense things more than humans. I noticed that when I decide to share a biscuit with a dog but have made no move he senses it and approaches.

My brother had to have a dog put down when it broke its back.
    He said the dog was terrified when he brought it to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think people can go a little far with the claims of sentience, but cats and especially dogs definitely seem to have a certain emotional attunement with humans that's out of proportion with their intelligence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

bigar wrote: »
    Feelings no. They have primal reactions just as most animals like fear, anger and joy. .

You mean....fear, anger and joy aren't feelings?

diomed wrote: »
    . I noticed that when I decide to share a biscuit with a dog but have made no move he senses it and approaches.

My dog knows "all gone". I didn't even mean teach it but she knows it well!

"All gone pupsicles" and off she toddles. So cute <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Dogs or cats never get upset or teary eyed when someone gets knocked out on the X factor.
    They have no feelings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think what he's getting at is the utter hypocrisy and anthropomorphism involved with dog lovers who eat animals yet share stories about dog meat in Asia on Facebook

(I just wanted any excuse to say anthropomorphism again)
    Who doesn't love an excuse to say anthropomorphism?

I can understand being annoyed at the hypocrisy. I've eaten horse. I would eat dog or cat, if it was humanely reared and killed.
    Ah yes cos that knocker bolt driven into them is pleasant eh;). LOL
    Again: they never feel it. Even if the animal hasn't been stunned the brain is destroyed before it has time to register the impact on the skull.

Fear and panic produce hormones which ruin the taste of the meat, plus you don't want a tonne of beef cow rampaging around in a panic. It is in the meat industry's interest to have the animals as calm as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

really? jeesus how could you.

Eat dog ?
    Meah, it’s just meat and I’m kinda curious about these things when they’re there in front of me.

Many people visiting Asia bawk to see chickens killed street side and then cooked and served at their table, that’s stupid, if your willing to eat the meat you should be willin to see it killed. I’d rather see the chicken killed than wonder was it really chicken.

Was talking to a friend last time there and he said “ when westerners see an animal they see how cute it is, Asians see it and think, how will I cook that”, I really laughed as it indeed seems to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Feelings no. They have primal reactions just as most animals like fear, anger and joy. But feelings like guilt, shame or pride are just something humans want to see in them. A lot of people say dogs and cats have facial expressions as well which is also no true but still people believe it.

Hope you don't own a pet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

It's a question that will get more serious and informed answers on the animal forum really.
    I suppose the main reason I posed the question was basically to kind of know why our dog seems to show more affection to one member of the family over the other though we all love him just as much. It's just one of those things i've wondered about for a very long time so I suppose I should have posted my question on the animal forum. I find some of the answers very informal and interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I think what he's getting at is the utter hypocrisy and anthropomorphism involved with dog lovers who eat animals yet share stories about dog meat in Asia on Facebook

(I just wanted any excuse to say anthropomorphism again)

I agree, 99% of people are pet lovers, not animal lovers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Feelings no.

You are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

They absolutely have feelings... this gets me everytime

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I suppose the main reason I posed the question was basically to kind of know why our dog seems to show more affection to one member of the family over the other though we all love him just as much. It's just one of those things i've wondered about for a very long time so I suppose I should have posted my question on the animal forum. I find some of the answers very informal and interesting so far.

Our dogs have feelings of course.
    Our older dog, a Jack Russell, is very fond of our second oldest son, he was bought as a puppy when his older brother started school to keep him company. He is twelve now (the dog) and he is always brighter and happier when our second lad is with him. He is,also quite jealous of our 3 year old king Charles, who has quite an attachment to myself. They regularly by for attention from us all.
    Anyone who thinks dogs have no feelings, doesn't know dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

kylith wrote: »
    Balderdash.

I've been to slaughterhouses. They saunter into them grand and the most 'suffering' they feel is being nervous about being someplace new. Then they get an electric shock that knocks them out before they know what's happening.

I don't think it always works out so smoothly. The above is the ideal but with the sheer volume of animals to be slaughtered, it can be rushed and therefore not done right. I'm not so naive as to think that every cow slaughtered has a painless death. And let's not even get started on pigs and chicken. Welfare standards for sheep and cows are pretty good in this country. Pigs and chickens on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes, I believe dogs have feelings but I think peoples are more important!

How is that even possible?! All dogs go to heaven. All people do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd have no problem eating a dog if it turned into sustainable meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some people in this thread have no feelings! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If an animal can feel pain it has feelings, so all animals have feelings ........emotions? maybe not or not as we know it

the emotion of hate is only found in one animal, guess who

Ande1975 wrote: »

I can watch most things but I had to stop that after half a second. That's far too upsetting. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Floki

So why do people have a problem with dogs being eaten and not pigs?

Do people have a problem with dogs eating pork or beef or chicken?

Even better. Would people kill a pig for their dog??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭McCrack

Ande1975 wrote: »

It appears to be having a seizure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

In times like this I always think of my grandfather's JRT. Bought as pup when gramps retired to be his companion as he moved into his senior years.
    Absolutely devoted to each other ,however turned out the bastard dog was a psychopath.
    He bit everyone , me and 26 cousins and various aunts and uncle.
    Things came to a head when he bit a doctor on a house call to visit my grandfather.
    So the day came when he was brought to the pound where he bit two more staff .So yes I do believe dogs have feelings , rage comes to my mind.

I now have my own JRT and he likes a fry for breakfast on the weekend.

Advertisement