Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Believe Dogs Have Feelings?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

So why do people have a problem with dogs being eaten and not pigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

chrissb8 wrote: »
    A dog looks you in the eye as it's s******g and then will eat that s**t. I think we can put a cap on their intelligence at a point

I've owned a few dogs in my time, all of which made it to ripe ages. None has ever (that I seen) ate their poo .

I'm not saying no dog has eat poo.

Just that it is the exception rather than the rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

natashaob6 wrote: »
    The reason I ask I suppose this unusual question is our dog is a big part of our family and although we all give him the same love and affection there is one member of the family he seems to miss more when has not been home for a long period of time. When i'm on the phone and i put it on loud speaker as soon as he hears my sons voice he  stands on all fours with he's  ears pricked up and sometimes runs around the sitting room with excitement. So I was wondering does anyone else out there have a pet dog that might react in a similar way and if so do you believe a dog has feelings.
    If thats a serious question you're in the wrong forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

_Brian;105328539I’ve once eaten dog when in Asia, it was in a sort of stew. It was quite disappointing as meat goes, chewey and not too tasty, like a low grade cut of beef.  
    really? jeesus how could you.

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s a highly ignorant statement, typical of what you see from people who never bothered to find out the truth.

Given the space pigs never ever lie or root where they go to the toilet. Given space they will consciously dedicate a corner to use as a “bathroom” area and that will be its only use.

We keep pigs for our own consumption, they’re not dirty provided they get the correct space.

Cattle and sheep on the other hand have no clue, no matter what space they have they just shiit everywhere and then lie in it.

It's also a quote from Pulp Fiction. Chill the **** out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

There's no doubt about it, dogs absolutely do have feelings. As do all sentient creatures. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Course they do. My dog was in a sulk with me for days after I went on holiday and left him in kennels.

Most animals have feelings, at least basic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

If thats a serious question you're in the wrong forum...
    How do you make that one out? Well if I am either way posters seem to be happy enough to discuss the topic here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They absolutely have feelings. Probably feel them a lot more extremely than we do. Just look at a dog locked up in a garden depressed and barking constantly for attention or help and then look at a dogs reaction when you ask him does he wanna go for a walk. Pure joy. Our dog is 6 and I know when he’s pissed off with me and when he’s delighted with life. No doubt at all that they have feelings.

david75 wrote: »
    They absolutely have feelings. Probably feel them a lot more extremely than we do. Just look at a dog locked up in a garden depressed and barking constantly for attention or help and then look at a dogs reaction when you ask him does he wanna go for a walk. Pure joy. Our dog is 6 and I know when he’s pissed off with me and when he’s delighted with life. No doubt at all that they have feelings.

Our dog is the same all I have to do is pick up his lead or pick up the car keys and he stands at the front door. I would say It's all down to a daily routine and having the intelligence to understand the routine.

• Advertisement

Our dog is the same all I have to do is pick up his lead or pick up the car keys and he stands at the front door. I would say It's all down to a daily routine and having the intelligence to understand the routine.

There's definitely more to it than that. My fella's like 'Great! Walk time!', but then if we go a certain way he's all 'Oh yeah! We're going to the motherhumpin' park!!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

They can feel a kick in the hole alright.

Big hard man kicking a dog.

Ah brilliant :) all I have to say is are ye bored?? And he’s dancin around in circles delighted cos he knows we’re going the park. Equally if I go I have to go to town pal I can’t take you with me he gets all bummed out. Good to use the same tone I guess. They understand what that is more than the words I think.

Our lad in the park at his favourite branch that he can’t reach but doesn’t stop him jumping for it. For as long as you let him :)

david75 wrote: »
    Ah brilliant :) all I have to say is are ye bored?? And he’s dancin around in circles delighted cos he knows we’re going the park. Equally if I go I have to go to town pal I can’t take you with me he gets all bummed out. Good to use the same tone I guess. They understand what that is more than the words I think.

Our lad in the park at his favourite branch that he can’t reach but doesn’t stop him jumping for it. For as long as you let him :)
    One day he'll get that branch.

One day.

It's amazing the happiness dogs and of course most animals can bring to a person or family when given the love and affection they deserve.

kylith wrote: »
    One day he'll get that branch.

One day.

He can get the other one somedays! It’s lower!
    But as to feelings I know they have them. Our guys in his total happy place in the park and it actually makes me feel a lot better when I’m up there with him.
    We’re going up in a little while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I'm sure dogs do have feeling you can see it in their eyes. Happiness, depression etc.

Though what I can't stand is these lunatics who say animals are equal to humans.

No they aren't.

Ironically alot of people who whinge and whinge and whinge about animal rights on TV and social media etc aren't even vegan!. I mean how can you rattle on about animal rights when you have had steak and chips for dinner and are wearing leather shoes?.

Do these people live in such la la land situations they think that cow voluntarily gave it's life up for them and didn't suffer at all but was smiling the whole time in the slaughterhouse?. :rolleyes: These people have to rationalize their crap like like this.
    Amazing hypocrisy.

If you eat animals you can't shyte on about animal rights. Trust me that meat dinner you eat that animal didn't go freely happily to the slaugterhouse, no they suffered big time!

I'm sure dogs do have feeling you can see it in their eyes. Happiness, depression etc.

Though what I can't stand is these lunatics who say animals are equal to humans.

No they aren't.

Ironically alot of people who whinge and whinge and whinge about animal rights on TV and social media etc aren't even vegan!. I mean how can you rattle on about animal rights when you have had steak and chips for dinner and are wearing leather shoes?.

Do these people live in such la la land situations they think that cow voluntarily gave it's life up for them and didn't suffer at all but was smiling the whole time in the slaughterhouse?. :rolleyes: These people have to rationalize their crap like like this.
    Amazing hypocrisy.

If you eat animals you can't shyte on about animal rights. Trust me that meat dinner you eat that animal didn't go freely happily to the slaugterhouse, no they suffered big time!

Balderdash.

I've been to slaughterhouses. They saunter into them grand and the most 'suffering' they feel is being nervous about being someplace new. Then they get an electric shock that knocks them out before they know what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don't eat pork. Pigs are filthy animals. Pigs sleep and root in ****. That's a filthy animal.

Bit harsh.

A lot of humans are not far off..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

They have more feelings than a lot of human beings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

This is a true story.

Fair warning, if you haven't seen it, it'll rip your heart out.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1028532/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yep of course they do.

I'm still on the fence when it comes to them "feeling guilt", there was a show on Channel 4 a few months back that came to an inconclusive finding based on if they show what we think is guilt based on our reactions to them rather than actually feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Ah lads thought ye would pick up the Pulp Fiction quotes quicker lol

Balderdash.

I've been to slaughterhouses. They saunter into them grand and the most 'suffering' they feel is being nervous about being someplace new. Then they get an electric shock that knocks them out before they know what's happening.

I think what he's getting at is the utter hypocrisy and anthropomorphism involved with dog lovers who eat animals yet share stories about dog meat in Asia on Facebook

(I just wanted any excuse to say anthropomorphism again)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Balderdash.

Ah yes cos that knocker bolt driven into them is pleasant eh;). LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

chrissb8 wrote: »
    A dog looks you in the eye as it's s******g and then will eat that s**t. I think we can put a cap on their intelligence at a point

Who is the collective "we" you refer to? You're entitled to your opinion, but you really shouldn't assume that others are in agreement.

What you are referring to is Coprophagia. It's possibly behavioural, but usually a malabsorption of nutrients from the food they're eating, or a lack of nutrients within the food. A good example is to think of a puppy farm rationing out the cheapest of cheap crap food to litters of puppies, and their little systems demand a far richer diet. Bitches wean their pups around 5 weeks old, but pups aren't supposed to leave their mother and siblings until at least 8 weeks old. That 3 weeks of food cuts into the puppy farmers profit margin so it's more economical to feed them rubbish because the effects won't be seen in the few weeks that they are under their ownership. Worming is also required every 2 weeks for pups, but that is also expensive when you're churning out pups. In short, underfeeding, a poor diet, and a parasitic burden are all reasons for digestive enzyme deficiencies which encourages stool eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I think what he's getting at is the utter hypocrisy and anthropomorphism involved with dog lovers who eat animals yet share stories about dog meat in Asia on Facebook

(I just wanted any excuse to say anthropomorphism again)
    So why do people have a problem with dogs being eaten and not pigs?
    So do horses, and pigs, the French eat horses. Look I love dogs I just find the fawning over them ridiculous the way we treat the animals we eat. I doubt piglets are too happy when mother is taken away to be slaughtered but we don't seem to care about that.
    What do you think of factory farms?
    I would imagine most animals of reasonable intelligence are sentient. We have anthropomorphised dogs and cats so people are outraged when they hear of Asians eating dogs but have no problems tucking into steak or lamb. We're all a bunch of hypocrites
    Of course they have feelings. It's only the animals we eat like pigs and cows and sheep etc that don't have feelings
    Are you vegan or just out of opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ah lads thought ye would pick up the Pulp Fiction quotes quicker lol

Sewer rat may take like pumpkin fcukin pie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

They can feel a kick in the hole alright.

No wonder I prefer dogs and cats to people especially you

• Advertisement

Are you vegan or just out of opinions?

I'm just a total and utter nihilist

Advertisement