Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#StopKillingCyclists - Kildare Street Tuesday 21st 5.30

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

It'd be great to see clubs and their members getting behind this type of action in a big way. Club & leisure cyclists have borne the brunt of the fatalities this year sadly. Some clubs have massive memberships and if those members could be mobilised this would become a genuine mass movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

ED E wrote: »
    For those of you not following the relevant groups on social media a vigil/action has been arranged by the Dublin Cycling Campaign and IBike Dublin with others.

https://www.facebook.com/events/222836218255880/
    &
    https://www.facebook.com/events/523644131326411/

If you can get from the office to Kildare Street maybe consider joining in. This was a previous event outside the DoT.

CC-1-e1475002739922.jpg
    Photo Credit: Sticky Bottle

Looks like a demonstration in London to me,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

Moflojo wrote: »
    It'd be great to see clubs and their members getting behind this type of action in a big way. Club & leisure cyclists have borne the brunt of the fatalities this year sadly. Some clubs have massive memberships and if those members could be mobilised this would become a genuine mass movement.

I'd like to support this but for anyone coming into the city, from Kildare in my case, it's not a particularly work/school friendly time, Iwe in our club have urged our members working close by to support it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The irony of wanting to bring my two girls in on their bikes to this but too nervous of their safety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I'd go but I'll be in work :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

fat bloke wrote: »
    The irony of wanting to bring my two girls in on their bikes to this but too nervous of their safety

I'm taking my 9 y.o. girl and 12 y.o. boy, but we'll be taking the Dart on the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fat bloke wrote: »

You dont need to have the bike with you, just turn up with some cateyes in your pockets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or some hi-vis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

or some hi-vis.

TBF it is the only way anyone would know you were there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Moflojo wrote: »

Looking back at the reports during the year, at least five of the fatalities were noted as "club cyclists" and some of those were on training spins when mown down. I fully agree that it would be great to see lots of club members there tomorrow as all of us have experience of close passes when out on club spins. It would also be great if Cycling Ireland supported the protest and leant its weight to the campaigns for a minimum passing distance, more enforcement of existing laws and more safe cycle infrastructure. Maybe I've missed it but I haven't heard anything from them about any of the fatalities or about the planned protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Some of the comments about this on the FB page for the event are just awful. How people can be full of such vile and vitriol about the lives of others simply because they do things differently to them is deeply saddening and a sorry indication of the lack of respect and humanity towards others.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... It would also be great if Cycling Ireland supported the protest ...

..... but I haven't heard anything from them about any of the fatalities or about the planned protest.
    I'm presuming that it wouldn't really be in their interest to highlight the negative aspects of an activity that they promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think the law should favour cyclists enormously because they have no physical protection however cyclists are a terribly rulebreakin bunch too. Would the people at this protest also remonstrate cyclists that break red lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Some of the comments about this on the FB page for the event are just awful. How people can be full of such vile and vitriol about the lives of others simply because they do things differently to them is deeply saddening and a sorry indication of the lack of respect and humanity towards others.

I had to just stop trying to find reason where there is none. Some people are just jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I think the law should favour cyclists enormously because they have no physical protection however cyclists are a terribly rulebreakin bunch too. Would the people at this protest also remonstrate cyclists that break red lights?

That's next week's vigil.

Did the lads that died in the last week break red lights? or any of the others in the ground this year :confused:

Justice should be blind and favour no one, this said, as has been pointed out many times on this forum, cyclists are no worse at rule breaking than any other group of people as they are just that, a bunch of people with nothing else in common. Bringing such comments up in a thread that is here to ask for people to point out the lack of respect afforded someone who has done nothing other than choose a different way to get to work.

I don't know every cyclist who has died this year on this small island, I know a few people who have had friends and loved ones taken from them though. These people had their lives changed in an unspeakable way. Their friends were visible, on their way home from work or just out for a bit of R&R. Some were wearing hi vis, some were using lights, all had helmets for all the good they done.

More importantly, all left behind friends and family who will never be the same, all left lives that will never be completed. None were running red lights when they were hit, none were shouting abuse, all that I know were hit in circumstances where if a driver was not trying to gain seconds, the world would have different headlines running and a few less nasty, uninformed comments on Facebook.

But **** it, let's make it about a few RLJing cyclist who George Hook rants about who have caused zero deaths this year, let's do that, because that is what we should be focusing on.

Sometimes I don't know why I ****ing bother coming online, it just drags you down that people cannot focus on the crux of an issue, they always have to look for some other pointless thing to tag on as if it ****ing matters at all.

People are dead because there seems to be either a lack of personal responsibility or a lack of enforcement, but no let's drag in a pet peeve, as if it makes a ****ing blind bit of difference.

Do I not care about these things, of course I do, every dick who jumps the queue, who plants the image I am somehow a bad person in other peoples minds, of course I do. I want to smack them with a fully grown tuna. Christ, some mornings I hate them as much as the person who thinks making that turn a few seconds early is more important than my life, thankfully, I realise in a split second that my view has been skewed. They don't kill people. Get some priorities, FFS.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Justice should be blind and favour no one, this said, as has been pointed out many times on this forum, cyclists are no worse at rule breaking than any other group of people as they are just that, a bunch of people with nothing else in common. Bringing such comments up in a thread that is here to ask for people to point out the lack of respect afforded someone who has done nothing other than choose a different way to get to work.

I don't know every cyclist who has died this year on this small island, I know a few people who have had friends and loved ones taken from them though. These people had their lives changed in an unspeakable way. Their friends were visible, on their way home from work or just out for a bit of R&R. Some were wearing hi vis, some were using lights, all had helmets for all the good they done.

More importantly, all left behind friends and family who will never be the same, all left lives that will never be completed. None were running red lights when they were hit, none were shouting abuse, all that I know were hit in circumstances where if a driver was not trying to gain seconds, the world would have different headlines running and a few less nasty, uninformed comments on Facebook.

But **** it, let's make it about a few RLJing cyclist who George Hook rants about who have caused zero deaths this year, let's do that, because that is what we should be focusing on.

Sometimes I don't know why I ****ing bother coming online, it just drags you down that people cannot focus on the crux of an issue, they always have to look for some other pointless thing to tag on as if it ****ing matters at all.

People are dead because there seems to be either a lack of personal responsibility or a lack of enforcement, but no let's drag in a pet peeve, as if it makes a ****ing blind bit of difference.

Do I not care about these things, of course I do, every dick who jumps the queue, who plants the image I am somehow a bad person in other peoples minds, of course I do. I want to smack them with a fully grown tuna. Christ, some mornings I hate them as much as the person who thinks making that turn a few seconds early is more important than my life, thankfully, I realise in a split second that my view has been skewed. They don't kill people. Get some priorities, FFS.

I get it, I do.

I think motorists and cyclists hate and disrespect each other. Achieving change isn't always a one sided affair, I think there has to be trade offs. I think motorists would be more likely to obey a minimum passing distance if they felt cyclists were having the book thrown at them too. But look it, wrong thread to bring it up maybe, don't mean to touch a nerve

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

wow, this is unbelievably insensitive and in bad taste. For shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I think motorists and cyclists hate and disrespect each other.

yeah, especially given most cyclists are motorists too.

god, why am I even wasting my time with this troll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I think motorists would be more likely to obey a minimum passing distance if they felt cyclists were having the book thrown at them too.

Well cyclists are already having cars, trucks and buses flying in their general direction, a book would be a welcome reprieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's not just deaths either. I work for an acquired brain injury organisation and , anecdotally at least, we have seen a significant increase in cyclists sustaining head injuries as a result of cycling accidents. In the vast majority of cases these, life long injuries, are sustained due to carelessness of drivers and the supporting infrastructure that facilitates cars above all else. Usually its the driver turning left or right suddenly without looking out for cyclists coming from behind, or motorists braking suddenly and abruptly on narrow roads and bicycles forced into the back of them.

I can't make the vigil as I live in Limerick but it's important to recognise the many cyclists who escaped with their lives, but are now living with signifcant disabilities as a result of the dangerous lack of cycling infrastructure in our country

Hi folks.

Sorry about my statement earlier. Fair point, wrong thread. Not trying to be a troll. I was trying to think bigger picture and how to get motorists and cyclists to respect each other leading to less accidents etc.

Didn't mean to offend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I get it, I do.

I think motorists and cyclists hate and disrespect each other. Achieving change isn't always a one sided affair, I think there has to be trade offs. I think motorists would be more likely to obey a minimum passing distance if they felt cyclists were having the book thrown at them too. But look it, wrong thread to bring it up maybe, don't mean to touch a nerve
    When exactly are the motorists having the book thrown at them? Speeding is endemic on our roads, amber and red lights don't matter, double yellows and cycle lanes - park away, blocking pavements parking two or more wheels up (but apparently only cyclists illegally use the footpath - how do the cars get there without driving on the pavement?), one or more light out, driving with dlr's in the dark, learners driving unaccompanied, drink driving etc etc etc.

This motorists having the "book thrown at them" is as much a myth as the "tour de france wannabe's riding 5 a breast" bs that litter comment sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Maybe, but it's motorists that have managed to kill 50% more cyclists this year than last year. I would find that a tad disrespectful in itself. Stop driving like lunatics. Slow down. Don't drink and drive. Put the phone away. Stop killing cyclists. It's that simple.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No fighting in the war room please.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I get it, I do.

With all due respect, that's incredibly naive.

All road users break the law all the time. It's nothing to do with respect, it's all to do with selfishness. Drivers don't pass close because they think cyclists have no respect. They pass close because they're selfish dickheads.
    Cyclists don't break reds because they disrespect motorists, they do it because they're selfish dickheads.

There's nothing else to it.

So who here is going in this evening. It is alas a time of day where it will get noticed but also unlikely to get a big crowd as people make the run for the creche etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

CramCycle wrote: »
    So who here is going in this evening. It is alas a time of day where it will get noticed but also unlikely to get a big crowd as people make the run for the creche etc.

I am. I always talk about supporting these things but have never done so to date. I'm surprised (in a way) at how angry and emotional I've gotten this week about the deaths of people that I've never met.
    I really hope it's well attended and that it's reported on in a meaningful way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think motorists and cyclists hate and disrespect each other.

i don't hate or disrespect motorists.

anybody who hates another person or group of people who have literally never visited any wrong on them needs to have a good look at themselves.

Advertisement