Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Cross City Launch Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The junction at the bottom of Grafton/College Green heading northwards is going to need some big priority changes I reckon, its not going to work at all under the current settings.
    At the moment the lights only turn green long enough for two/three vehicles to get through - a tram which finds itself behind 4 buses and a couple of taxis could be waiting 2 or 3 cyclechanges to get through.

Some junctions on red line are very quick to change however when trams are operating they operate to different timing and trams are generally cleared through them without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Tow

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I notice the Statutory Signage at the bottom of Dawson Stree has,yet again,reverted to Buses and Trams Only...this is the third attempt at establishing a norm here...

Probably Keegan's got involved, he loves his bikes. When he went from DLR they ripped up a number of his bike schemes, which had only been installed a couple of years before. Such a waste of tax payers money...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

rebel456 wrote: »
    I'll dismount when I come across this sign... and walk in the middle of the roadway through college green with my bike. Ridiculous anti-cyclist signage. Those signs are understandable in areas where there would be a temporary mixing of pedestrians and cyclists during works. But not in this case, cyclists are road users too.
    While driving yesterday I seen 2 separate cycling accidents in the same place. Both fell when their wheels slipped on the track. It is a high risk area for a vulnerable cyclist. I reckon its only a matter of time before a fatality happens in the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

The Luas should have full priority
    Then buses
    Then pedestrians
    Then cyclists
    Then cars

The Luas is how people should travel around within the city and in and out of the city.

Cars should be penalized in any way possible. High parking charges, more tax on fuel, toll to enter the city, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭rebel456

What class of LUAS tram will work the Green Line, when Cross City opens?

As I understand it, the 3000 & 4000 class work solely on the Red Line, while the 5000 class work on the Green Line.

Given that the new trams ordered for Cross City will take time to deliver. Am I correct that some 3000 or 4000 class will be drafted in temporarily from Red to Green to cover the shortfall?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rebel456 wrote: »
    What class of LUAS tram will work the Green Line, when Cross City opens?

As I understand it, the 3000 & 4000 class work solely on the Red Line, while the 5000 class work on the Green Line.

Given that the new trams ordered for Cross City will take time to deliver. Am I correct that some 3000 or 4000 class will be drafted in temporarily from Red to Green to cover the shortfall?

The operational spares from the red line and the exiting bit of the green line (as this is a green line extension despite the new depot) will provide the extra capacity for now. Normal capacity on the red line won't be impacted

Likely to be the only time you see 3000s on the original green line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Are there any future plans to renovate the 3000 class could do with LED screens

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Kinda funny they are importing in the new luas stock through Rosslare and not Dublin port.

https://youtu.be/zhx-YtILMkQ

The extra drive prob easier then getting through the city?

Kinda funny they are importing in the new luas stock through Rosslare and not Dublin port.

https://youtu.be/zhx-YtILMkQ

The extra drive prob easier then getting through the city?

Only option available, Dublin-France ferry sailings are currently non existent and can't accommodate them. 3 or 4 hours by road via Rosslare instead of maybe 18-20 via Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is there any plans to reconfigure the seats on Luas trams to allow more people to stand? Surely if people sat with backs to the windows, like on most subway trains, it would make more space in the middle?

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Is there any plans to reconfigure the seats on Luas trams to allow more people to stand? Surely if people sat with backs to the windows, like on most subway trains, it would make more space in the middle?

No.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

It's not possible for most of the tram as equipment that is necessary for the operation of the tram is between many of the seats that are back to back each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

xper wrote: »
    Yeah, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that taxis will have to be excluded from College Green during the day and early evening. I passed through there on a bus at 9:30 this morning and trams coming from either direction would have been held up by the arse end of vehicles trying to get into adjacent lanes but blocked by the sheer volume of traffic. The filter lane to turn onto Dame Street is laughably inadequate. It was quite noticeable that taxis were taking up as much of the occupied road space as buses. Get rid of the taxis and and the capacity that stretch improves markedly.

Getting rid of the ten metre wide cycle lane and reinstating a second traffic lane would help. I'm fully in favour of segregated cycle lanes, but that's farcical. Especially since the entire stretch leading up to it isn't particularly cyclist friendly.

The Luas is how people should travel around within the city and in and out of the city.

How exactly is that supposed to work if you're approaching the city from one of the majority of directions in which the Luas doesn't run?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is the cycle lane going to be a 2 way cycle lane when the place is sorted out? Given it's wider than some existing plans of the ped plaza seem to indicate so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Why will it take 30% longer than all previous published info:
    NTA wrote:
    During the planning phase of Luas Cross City, a detailed modelling exercise was carried out by TII to estimate the journey time from St. Stephen’s Green to Broombridge.

This modelling exercise yielded an estimated journey time of 21 minutes.

Testing and trial running has been in progress since early September, and the journey times that were recorded suggested that it was prudent to assume 27 minutes as journey time at the start of passenger service.

The increase is largely due to longer than anticipated delays at traffic signals, and also delays on sections of the route where there is shared running with general traffic.

TII are working closely with Dublin City Council to optimise traffic signal settings so as to reduce delays to trams, and also with An Garda Síochána to minimise delays to trams due to illegally parked vehicles and vehicles blocking yellow box junctions, etc.

We anticipate that, as the new line beds down after a few weeks of passenger operations, the journey time will reduce significantly to closer to the planned figure of 21 minutes.

A similar process was followed when passenger service started on the original Green Line and Red lines.

Regards

MOH wrote: »
    Getting rid of the ten metre wide cycle lane and reinstating a second traffic lane would help. I'm fully in favour of segregated cycle lanes, but that's farcical. Especially since the entire stretch leading up to it isn't particularly cyclist friendly.

How exactly is that supposed to work if you're approaching the city from one of the majority of directions in which the Luas doesn't run?

That lane is a joke. A bus is rubbing the inside road markers and swinging close to pedestrians standing on the curb waiting to cross. All it takes is one drunk person to step out... Taxis cars and busses have nowhere to steer to avoid...... Other that into oncoming traffic on the other side.

yet 99% of the time there is an empty cycle lane wider than the main traffic lane. Perfect for rickshaws. Thats about it.

Its just so typical Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I for one can't wait for this to start - looking forward to going from Broombridge through to SSG and experiencing the new line in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

It will eventually be a two way cycle track when College Green is complete
    brokenarms wrote: »
    That lane is a joke. A bus is rubbing the inside road markers and swinging close to pedestrians standing on the curb waiting to cross. All it takes is one drunk person to step out... Taxis cars and busses have nowhere to steer to avoid...... Other that into oncoming traffic on the other side.

yet 99% of the time there is an empty cycle lane wider than the main traffic lane. Perfect for rickshaws. Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,336 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

brokenarms wrote: »
    That lane is a joke.

OK, 'empty 99% of the time' would imply that there's rarely a bicycle on it.
    I'd have to humbly says that that's completely wrong, I cycle it daily(marginally off peak) and have never yet been the only cyclist on it, which implies to me it's pretty much continuously in use.

Whether there's quite enough usage to justify it is a different thing, whether or not it's causing inconvenience to other road traffic may well be worth investigating, but saying it's empty 99% of the time is just totally incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Tow wrote: »
    Probably Keegan's got involved, he loves his bikes. When he went from DLR they ripped up a number of his bike schemes, which had only been installed a couple of years before. Such a waste of tax payers money...

Really??

Which ones??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

It should be really simple to create an automated yellow box camera. Given the absence of human traffic policing in Ireland. This should be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Thanks for this. At least they are looking to reduce it to the 21 mark they originally set out. As long as it get's there soon enough then I'm happy.

I had a look at an inbound tram at Ballally this morning and there were people sitting in the fold down seats. This must be annoying for the people who are squished in / can't get on to the tram.

Send them an e-mail and ask why dont they make announcements asking people if they can not to use the seats
    Should be easily added to make the announcement automatically
    I had a look at an inbound tram at Ballally this morning and there were people sitting in the fold down seats. This must be annoying for the people who are squished in / can't get on to the tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

pclive wrote: »
    It will eventually be a two way cycle track when College Green is complete

How will a cyclist coming from O'Connell Bridge get to that cycle lane?

How will a cyclist coming from O'Connell Bridge get to that cycle lane?

Cyclists from O'Connell St will avoid the tracks completely

Send them an e-mail and ask why dont they make announcements asking people if they can not to use the seats
    Should be easily added to make the announcement automatically
    I've tweeted them about issues that effect me personally (this particular issue is more of an annoyance) and they've given up responding. Customer service / communication not their forte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Thanks for that!

There is as much chance of cyclists following that path as pigs flying.

Rickshaws even less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SurveyUCD

Looking forward to seeing the new lane.

Advertisement