Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Telly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Del2005 wrote: »
    Should only upper class people be allowed large TVs?

Upper class people don't own TVs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

42 inch plasma(Panasonic).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The ultimate in middle class snobbery is having a good brand 32" old LCD.

That tells people "Hey, I knew to buy a Panasonic, and it's sleek minimalist lines speak to my style consciousness, but I really don't watch TV that much, it's only for news and art documentaries, so a smaller model was sufficient"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Have a 50" Sony 4k TV. I'd never spend the actual money it costs to buy one of them, but I won a competition in work a few years back and it was the top prize.

Colleague of mine recently spent like €7,000 on a TV and I'm just baffled by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Greentopia wrote: »
    Upper class people don't own TVs.

They employ a performing trope of players to enact Downton Abbey in the drawing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Mine is my iMac for when I want to watch a TV channel. Got rid of the telly years ago as I rarely watched it. Bonus is no licence or subscription service to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have a 50 Panasonic smart tv. I reckon we use the tv so much it makes sense to have the best one we could afford. Love the internet capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

92 inch telly. We installed the telly first and then built the house around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Upgrade the TV every five years or thereabouts, so 20 years ago -

20 inch CRT - "It's like a cinema screen!"

15 years ago -

32 inch widescreen CRT - "It's like a cinema screen"

10 years ago -

42 inch LCD - "It's like a cinema screen"

I'm planning on getting a 65 inch 4K TV and upgrading from Sky HD to Sky Q, I rarely ever watch TV, but when I do... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Greentopia wrote: »
    Mine is my iMac for when I want to watch a TV channel. Got rid of the telly years ago as I rarely watched it. Bonus is no licence or subscription service to pay for.

That doesn't disqualify from tv license does it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I've far too many Tellies and I barely even watch TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

42 inch in the living room, Android box hooked up for my TV shows and movies. It's a smart TV but the Android box is smarter.
    49 inch in the other room, usually cartoons and video games on that.
    Both are big enough,a mate of mine swapped out a 50 inch for a bigger one even though the room it's in is way too small for the 50 inch,let alone a bigger TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I only watch TV in the evening with Mr Est., I abhor day time television, utter trash. Mr Est is far more into the technology of the thing than I am. I think it's 42", and a 4K thing whatever that all means. It plays Netflix, YouTube and what not on it. Whatever size it is it doesn't swamp the living room because the room itself is quite big.

Think there are three in all. Other TV's belong to our resident gamers (teenagers). None in our room because I think a bedroom ought to be a peaceful place. There's no TV where we eat either because it's not right to sit ignoring each other during meal times, I cannot stand that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,804 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

retalivity wrote: »
    0in - Havent had a tv since 2009.

+1 ... 'cept 2007 in my case.

Generation NTV is still the hippest one in town. And we have more brain cells 'cos we don't have an Idiot Box sucking them out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

That doesn't disqualify from tv license does it?

Still need a TV licence indeed.

40inch in the living room and 32 inch in the bedroom. Have a 19inch tv also that's not really used much anymore. Next tv won't be smaller than 55inch as I find 40 small enough now.

Generation NTV is still the hippest one in town. And we have more brain cells 'cos we don't have an Idiot Box sucking them out of us.

Well that's a boring generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I measure my screen in Meters.
    You measure your screen size in inches!
    How cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Sony bravia 49 inch smart tv. Never really watched tv until we got this. Having YouTube Netflix or putting in a usb with a movie on it. Or streaming etc. I never actually turn on the decoder and watch normal channels unless there's a match on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Still need a TV licence indeed.

I don't think so. Pretty sure there was talks of bringing in that law but it never happened. An iMac is a desktop computer, don't think it counts as a tv even if using it to watch tv shows..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

32" Sony. The speakers have gone crackly. Speakers always seem to be the weakest part of tellies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Wibbs wrote: »
    42 inch plasma(Panasonic).
    My plasma gave up the ghost last year best telly I ever had..still don’t understand why they stopped producing them..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Tv size snobs. The lowest form of snobbery. Omg!!! That tv overwhelmed the room!!! Pass the binoculars… can’t see nothing on that postage stamp.

Who gives a four X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Makes you very very angry though it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Samsung 42 inch smart. Got it 3 years ago.with black Friday this week we were thinking of upping to a 48 curved but we couldn't justify replacing a perfect tv with the cost of €1000 ish. And as the op said it would sort of swamp the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

65 inch sony something, the sitting room is big enough for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

32” LG absolutely big enough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

harr wrote: »
    My plasma gave up the ghost last year best telly I ever had..still don’t understand why they stopped producing them..

Big energy consumers apparently -

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/banning-plasma-tvs-2/

Two reasons I bought LCD over plasma at the time were that plasma screens had an issue with "burn-in" and ironically -ghosting, where you could switch channels and still have an image of the previous channel on the screen. Also this was around the time when people were hooking their desktop computers up to their TV for 'media centres', and the screen resolution on a plasma TV left a lot to be desired over an LCD TV screen.

I'm just grateful I missed the whole "3D" phase, I was invited along to a demo one night, obviously the effect was a bit lost on me :pac:

4K TVs though, definitely not just marketing speak. I was admiring one recently when the shop assistant came over - "Can I help you with anything?", "Nah, I just need to go change my pants", they really are something else!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Big energy consumers apparently -

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/banning-plasma-tvs-2/

Two reasons I bought LCD over plasma at the time were that plasma screens had an issue with "burn-in" and ironically -ghosting, where you could switch channels and still have an image of the previous channel on the screen. Also this was around the time when people were hooking their desktop computers up to their TV for 'media centres', and the screen resolution on a plasma TV left a lot to be desired over an LCD TV screen.

I'm just grateful I missed the whole "3D" phase, I was invited along to a demo one night, obviously the effect was a bit lost on me :pac:

4K TVs though, definitely not just marketing speak. I was admiring one recently when the shop assistant came over - "Can I help you with anything?", "Nah, I just need to go change my pants", they really are something else!! :D
    Thank god never had any issues with my plasma had it 10 years ...could have tried to repair it but it was costing to much with no guarantee of it working.
    Yes and grateful I missed out on the 3D phase as well...happy enough with my 49 inch LG 4K.
    Does anyone know what shops use on screen to show off the picture Quality it always looks super impressive and not a true representation of picture resolutions you get at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

harr wrote: »
    Much higher profits on LCD/LED's is pretty much the long and short of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement