Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Telly

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I miss crt TVs and that smell that came off them if they hadn't been used in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Big energy consumers apparently -

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/banning-plasma-tvs-2/

Two reasons I bought LCD over plasma at the time were that plasma screens had an issue with "burn-in" and ironically -ghosting, where you could switch channels and still have an image of the previous channel on the screen. Also this was around the time when people were hooking their desktop computers up to their TV for 'media centres', and the screen resolution on a plasma TV left a lot to be desired over an LCD TV screen.

I'm just grateful I missed the whole "3D" phase, I was invited along to a demo one night, obviously the effect was a bit lost on me :pac:

4K TVs though, definitely not just marketing speak. I was admiring one recently when the shop assistant came over - "Can I help you with anything?", "Nah, I just need to go change my pants", they really are something else!! :D

The problem with 4k seems to be that so little tv is broadcast in 4k it's hardly worth the expense, picture quality is amazing though when it is broad cast at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

46inch in living room (too big really but it was half price) 32inch in sunroom - mate did a deal on a refurb, 22 inch in kitchen, 32 is the nicest but you cant buy tv with built in soarview and satellite receiver that small anymore (well only walkers apparently)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

splinter65 wrote: »
    32” LG absolutely big enough

Same! My living room is small, so it's grand. I cancelled SKY a few years ago cos I never really watched it. Have Netflix and chromecast, so just stream movies or youtube.

I bloody hate smart TV's, can never get the hang of them when I try using my friends one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

46inch in living room (too big really but it was half price) 32inch in sunroom - mate did a deal on a refurb, 22 inch in kitchen, 32 is the nicest but you cant buy tv with built in soarview and satellite receiver that small anymore (well only walkers apparently)

I'm fairly sure they have Sharp and LG 32 inch Saorview TVs in Tesco but hooking a sat receiver up to your existing one shouldn't be a big deal? I have the 'magic eye' for Sky, but the co-axial cable can be unsightly if it's an awkward place to get to.

That's another reason why I'm upgrading to Sky Q - the signal comes into a main box and is shared around to the other TVs over a wireless network (I have 22 inch in one bedroom and 19 inch in another, but I figured this thread is about the main tv!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,133 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

32". Bigger would be nice but it's about right size for room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

46" Samsung.
    Can anyone see the benifit of curved TV? Unless you're sitting directly in front on it, it's shìt.
    The 3D fad really did catch out all the lambs. Mate of mine paid a fortune for one when they came out. To date, he has used the 3D on it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,972 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

65" 4K HDR smart TV and its almost big enough. 85" would suit the size of the room better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

37" Toshiba HD that we've had for over 11 years now. It cost about €1,000 at the time, I think. Never a bit of trouble from it and while a smart TV would be nice, we just can't bring ourselves to replace a perfectly good telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

50 inch samsung i got got 370 odd euro in argos due to a temporary price lowering :p
    not 4k, but dont have 4k content so who cares!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

That doesn't disqualify from tv license does it?
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Still need a TV licence indeed.

No, you don't have to have one. Several Comms. Ministers-Pat Rabitte, Denis Naughton, talked about introducing a broadcasting licence to cover computers, tablets etc but it's never got off the ground.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/tv-licence-fee-wont-apply-to-pcs-laptops-and-tablets-449275.html

Quote:
    "Department of Communications recommendations that the licence fee be extended to include computers, laptops, and large tablets, will not go ahead.

It had been mooted that the definition of what constitutes a television set would be changed, an option that would potentially have raised an extra €5m for RTÉ from over 300,000 households with no television.

However, sources confirmed the memo to Cabinet, which updates the Broadcasting Act 2009, would not include an extension of the charge for devices with 12in screens or bigger sizes.

“He has taken it out completely,” said a well- informed source.

Mr Naughten believes charging people with laptops or tablets could be fraught with legal difficulties and such a process may be difficult to police.

Mr Naughten has already ruled out the imposition of a so-called general broadcasting charge, which would have applied to all homes regardless of whether they had a TV or device."

Long may that last in Ireland. I'm in Germany right now where there's a general broadcasting licence (one per household) and there is absolutely no chance you can avoid paying for it. It's a BS money grab as I wouldn't watch 99% of German TV if you paid me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

48" Samsung Smart TV that I picked up from a fella on Adverts who was emigrating. Sold my previous telly on.. net cost: about a hundred quid :)

Thinking of changing it for a 55" though as while it's fine in my current place, I'm moving shortly and the new living room is much bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

storker wrote: »
    37" Toshiba HD that we've had for over 11 years now. It cost about €1,000 at the time, I think. Never a bit of trouble from it and while a smart TV would be nice, we just can't bring ourselves to replace a perfectly good telly.

Just get one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B072MZ1M1N/ref=simh_0?pf_rd_p=33cec82a-b873-47ba-9dc7-79b40116928d&pf_rd_s=grid-unrec-4&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=89XMBDEFJ7NPJCHQMZR3&pf_rd_r=89XMBDEFJ7NPJCHQMZR3&pf_rd_p=33cec82a-b873-47ba-9dc7-79b40116928d&pd_rd_i=B072MZ1M1N

Viola,you have a smart TV. Certain apps can get you all the latest stuff too. ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

55" Sony LED. At first, it seemed really large after a previous 32" CRT but not it's just a "normal" size to me. Not sure the room would support anything much larger.

As to the Smart features - it has a few such as basic YouTube, etc but not Netflix. Doesn't matter - I just use a Chromecast and Kodi to get the same features. No need to upgrade and not for 4K with so little actually supporting it yet (and even with Netflix you'd need to upgrade to the top-tier plan).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

55” Samsung 3D HD (smart)
    (I didn’t want/need 3D, it just so happened that the TV I picked out came with 3D at the time)

Fits the room perfectly as it’s a long(ish) living room.
    Never bothered with any of the smart features but lately have been using the YouTube feature on it.
    3D is a nice novelty but hardly ever use it.

40” Samsung HD (non smart) in the bedroom mounted on the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

42” Samsung non-smart tv. It’s 7 yrs old and works 100%. Hopefully we’ll get another few years out of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've a projector, so it literally does take over one entire wall.

It ain't easy being cheesy...
    52' LG in the front room and we have it's predecessor up in the bedroom, a 42' Sony. It's actually too big for the bedroom to be honest. I've also got a TV in the shed, a big heavy thing with a big arse on it. A 'wide-screen' telly, top tech when I acquired it but I only get saorview channels out there at the moment, no chance of babestation and some 'Harry time' just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've a 55" 4K Samsung. It actually doesn't get as much use as I'd like, few hours a week at most. I just tend to use my PC monitor for everything - games, movies, TV (monitor is also 4k).

I do get the use out of the 4K though between the Xbox and 4K netflix. I'm amazed at the amount of people who buy 4K TV's or 'upgrade' 1080p sets despite not having 4k netflix or the use of 4k blu rays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The other thing is people buying absolute crap quality 4K sets for €400 from Argos.....because '4k'.

You'd be far better off buying a decent 1080p set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Im from an area where joyriding and fighting were a hobby, so we used turn off the tv , pull the blinds up , turn on a scanner and watch the nocturnal goings on.
    Nowadays she watch's ****e on a 32 inch in the kitchen.I watch my tropical fish in the living room and the resident gamers engage in close quarter combat upstairs on a 32inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My first big flat screen was a 40" Samsung LCD and cost me £1100. Nearly had a heart attack paying such money but I had saved up and it was a treat for myself. That was about 12 years ago.

Current main TV is a 60" Sharp LED. Fantastic telly and only cost £600 a few years ago.

Mental how the prices have nosedived provided you don't insist on the very latest tech.

As for comparison to room size, the living room is 4mx5m so the TV is a perfect size. It's also mounted over the fireplace which I know makes some people twitch, but it works for us.

The aforementioned Samsung is still going strong, it's in our bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

42" television in the bedroom. 14" in the kitchen and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,257 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

We went looking for a 40” Tv and while choosing one we saw that there was an offer on the 50” Samsung tv so went with that and got surround sound and stand all for €600 and we have it around 5 years and not a bit of bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

We have 37 inch telly image averaged sized living room and it suits us fine. It doesn't take over the room but it's big enough to watch anything on it.
    I've been in homes where there are 55-65 inch screens and they overwhelm the room, even when they're off.
    So AHers, what size is your Telly( that's television, don't pretend you mis-read the title)? Is it a smart TV and do you actually use all the features?
    Is it too big or not big enough?
    Did you have buyers remorse when when you realised how big it was compared to the room it's in?

32" Samsung HD Ready Smart TV here in the sitting room and a 22" Toshiba in the snug room off the kitchen that's hooked up to a multiroom Sky box and then there's an auld cheap brand 32" up in the young lads room hooked up to his Xbox (and yes I have the TV licence:D) but anyway, getting back to the op, yeah it's enough and yeah all of the features get used at some point. I don't really use the browser so much on the telly and if I want to watch a movie online, I download it to my phone (Showbox or such an app) then use the AllConnect app on my phone to screen it to the telly. I just find it plays better that way than watching the movie online direct on the telly.
    That said, I'd love a 50" (telly, of course;):D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

42” Philips Plasma, it’s 11 years old now and still going strong. Want to change if for a 65” OLED in the New Year.

Advertisement