Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Thanks for reply corkie I'll give them a try

NOT suitable for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global Version (CPU: Snapdragon 625)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭corkie

NOT suitable for Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 Global Version (CPU: Snapdragon 625)

Well spotted, I didn't read the description when I linked it.

This version is for Snapdraggon: - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Axisinternational-LCD-screen-display-touch-digitizer-with-frame-For-5-5-Xiaomi-redmi-note-4X-ROM/32820683355.html

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Does everyone get push notifications from Gmail , fb & whatsapp with this phone ?

Smashed my one plus 3 the other day and had a spare xiaomi mi4c lying around the house and barely get any.

Looking at either this or the mi a1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Does everyone get push notifications from Gmail , fb & whatsapp with this phone ?

Smashed my one plus 3 the other day and had a spare xiaomi mi4c lying around the house and barely get any.

With MIUI phones you need to open the app switcher and swipe down so a little padlock appears. This stops the phone closing the apps. Also, go into battery settings and turn off optimisations for any messaging apps you use. That should improve your notification situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Bought a note 4 from geek buying on Monday, Italy warehouse and just received it today. 167euro for a 64gb so happy enough. (yes I cracked my other note 4 two hours before this one came)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭boris1234

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Go to Settings -> Notifications & status bar -> App notifications and you can enable notifications for each app.

I just set them all for my mail, messages, snapchat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

boris1234 wrote: »
    Go to Settings -> Notifications & status bar -> App notifications and you can enable notifications for each app.

I just set them all for my mail, messages, snapchat etc.

I've not made any changes to notification settings but still getting everything (I hope!). I wonder if the update to Android 7 has fixed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm getting about 3 days of use from this phone on a single charge. I mainly use the phone for browsing, email and social media but 3 days is still a lot. I'm running Resurrection Remix without any battery saving options.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

My phone is in airplane mode for about 7 hours a day and have battery saving scheduled between 1am and 7:30am. Battery life is absolutely outstanding. 2 days since last charge and 50% battery left. 3-5 calls a day, loads of viber msging, browsing web, youtube few mins a day, updates, bluetooth and wifi every now and then. Running on stock OS. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I chose the phone especially for it's battery life & I am very pleased.

Miui is different & you need to learn some new settings but it works well. I like the split screen & the one handed option.

Another surprise is the built in call recorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Yep can stretch it it to 3 full days too with moderate use. Had been dithering for a while between Note 4 and the mi a1 but got the former couple of months ago v happy with decision as the extra battery life has been a godsend during a busy period when I didn't always get my phone to a charger at night. The bigger screen size was an adjustment but used to it now. As others noted, the camera is poor in low light but not a photo person so doesn't bother me. Other than the battery I think the best thing has been the reduction in anxiety knowing that if I break or lose this, its not going to bankrupt me to replace as it would with comparable models of more well known brands

It you've unlocked and rooted it, you can enable the Camera2 API and install cameras that make use of it. I wasn't too keen on the stock camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Has anyone got the MIUI 9 update on the Redmi 4x yet? I keep checking but still on 8.5.6.

It you've unlocked and rooted it, you can enable the Camera2 API and install cameras that make use of it. I wasn't too keen on the stock camera.

Has anyone tried Google Camera ? Seems to be recommended for the Note 4

My note 4 isnt recognising miui 9 and I'm still on 8.5 even though my new one is the exact same and that has it

My note 4 isnt recognising miui 9 and I'm still on 8.5 even though my new one is the exact same and that has it

What is your MIUI version on the device? (Any chance of Vendor rom?)

You could download a recovery rom and use the updater app to apply it.

^^ Above will only work on official roms.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Would a screen protector for the 4x fit the Global Note 4 ? Looks like the led cutout is in the right place.

Screen got for my note 4 from honorbuy and when I go into track the package it says destination is Dublin, think they made a mistake, should I be worried?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Anyone had problems with the alarm on the Note 4?

Mine rarely if ever actually works. Volume for the alarm is up to the max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Fanny **** wrote: »

Try locking it in the app manager. check permissions to make sure it can auto start and disabling any battery optimizations.

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »

Mine is fine. I use this to manage sound profiles.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tartar.soundprofilesfree&hl=en-GB

fixxxer wrote: »
    Try locking it in the app manager. check permissions to make sure it can auto start and disabling any battery optimizations.

This is key advice for all essential apps. I had some problems with the Note 4 until I discovered these settings

Discodog wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Google Camera ? Seems to be recommended for the Note 4

I'm using Google Camera, Open Camera and A Better Camera.

The google one is simple and takes decent pictures. The other two are more configurable and allow better pictures to be taken if you're patient. A Better Camera also has ads unless you block it from accessing the internet.

I'm using Google Camera, Open Camera and A Better Camera.

The google one is simple and takes decent pictures. The other two are more configurable and allow better pictures to be taken if you're patient. A Better Camera also has ads unless you block it from accessing the internet.

I read a couple of reviews that praised Google camera's HDR plus mode

Discodog wrote: »
    I read a couple of reviews that praised Google camera's HDR plus mode

Yeah, it's highly praised. Unfortunately, it's not officially released for other phones yet. There's a mod of the new google camera floating about for snapdragon cpus make by some ukrainian guy but I haven't tried it yet.

The standard google camera is till fairly decent though. The other two cameras that I mentioned support HDR as well but I haven't quite got the hang of it. It needs 3 pictures at different exposures which means you need to hold the thing pretty steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Is Google Camera an app? Can't find it on the play store on my Note 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A friend of mine has a Redmi Note 4, its got plenty of internal space free and a 16gb SD card (could be 32). Anyway, he keeps getting messages that he is out of space and cant install any apps? He has gotten rid of any apps that were of no use to him.
    Has anybody encountered this or suggestions on a solution?

W8HxGm3Gqw4NCGkt7l8tTt2X154ipowEmcA6oFP49NLRuHu1RHzZh9raKA--ohPrz11lmHjwzgYkljIbisvUNiWrtZg0QpGDx5lSynhG8ggt9cuPYIt9Oc5cuQQBQZUX383n7qzjL1LFpE0cAEkj2JDcFPyj-5evBZSIxg3tVY1ud8eQlLF-c6UZbxgYnZjZAUoPn3lzV0JT762Tnu1XlVTIb-B3NebtQ0QFQvbpuog4Jm8adJSs4NsWw-pTKZenR5Dmee_8xCEssC7wgAGW2QQhqLGBVIcXy-edhECXJmJ4mjunT3jJVQgNp389ThV97ebAYfKH7QulQm3tpaMziWu4evm-YAgsn34EmBI7J2X6OVybKtYODllow3n4TrWT9LXqySeyDRjbIYk1Uzqdc0DZvxH851lD-sk6VohUpSdJqP_I3NyLd6Ig7b-qrftRl6CDmNzW8MGGs2PfGulPe1xPXbFd3_h7LkOS_Sqhzg_MkNvY08w7Xfkc7YuqdAV0QhfguK_Zan3vCmC5qg5n3yulZOoKZUtH-85hpug_gkNCbYTWo0crncSkvhToaGm8o7t-zPgfuh8g9VXDHAXMusYAvCMOx-hDtKp0YP622Yw=w689-h918-no

mossy464 wrote: »
    Is Google Camera an app? Can't find it on the play store on my Note 4.

It is only officially available on Google Devices (Pixel's etc).

But has been ported to use on other devices, see the XDA thread for MIDO: -

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-4/themes/google-camerawith-hdr-mido-t3656196
    GBX wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a Redmi Note 4, its got plenty of internal space free and a 16gb SD card (could be 32). Anyway, he keeps getting messages that he is out of space and cant install any apps? He has gotten rid of any apps that were of no use to him.
    Has anybody encountered this or suggestions on a solution?

Looks like an official rom version for mido. Maybe some rogue app is using up storage. Check the device with a file manager (storage analysis feature) to see what is taking up space.

can anyone explain in steps how to get camera 2 api working on the note 4?

I guess that you have to request bootloader unlocker from Xiaomi?

then root it?

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    can anyone explain in steps how to get camera 2 api working on the note 4?

I guess that you have to request bootloader unlocker from Xiaomi?

then root it?

You need an unlocked bootloader at a minimum, from what I can gather.

If you're not too fussed about the miui stuff, I'd recommend just rooting it and putting a custom rom on it. I stuck resurrection remix on mine and it's excellent.

Rooting is easy enough too:

Apply for unlock
    Wait for approval
    Then wait about 3 days
    Install the adb drivers
    Download the mi unlock tool and run
    Connect device
    Reboot into fastboot mode
    Unlock the bootloader with the mi unlock tool
    Download twrp
    Flash twrp with fastboot which comes with the adb drivers
    Install a custom rom from twrp and if the rom doesn't come rooted, install supersu or magisk as well. Resurrection remix came rooted.

Advertisement