Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Autochange wrote: »
    Looks like the right phone but you are aware it's gold coloured? The one on the bottom far right is grey and from Italy. It doesn't matter where it's coming from as long as it's in Europe, Global version and you have the colour you want. Plus go for the 4gb 64gb version which is the one you have picked. Do you want Grey or Gold?

In not sure what pack b refers to? Is it a free cover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭corkie

In not sure what pack b refers to? Is it a free cover ?

+ Soft Case + Tempered Glass

Bundled with the phone, probably cheap crap versions.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

I tried a few different screen protectors and only 1 fitted half right. It must dip a bit on the edges cause it never fully sticks on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think Raoul posted a YT video on the previous thread which had a recommendation for screen protector and installation instructions. Hopefully he posts it up here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Looks like the right phone but you are aware it's gold coloured? The one on the bottom far right is grey and from Italy. It doesn't matter where it's coming from as long as it's in Europe, Global version and you have the colour you want. Plus go for the 4gb 64gb version which is the one you have picked. Do you want Grey or Gold?

cool, thanks for that. color doesn't bother me at all - what's the difference anyway if the phone is always in the protective cover.

• Advertisement

j@utis wrote: »
    cool, thanks for that. color doesn't bother me at all - what's the difference anyway if the phone is always in the protective cover.

No difference unless the cover is a piece of crap which you end up binning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

j@utis wrote: »
    nope, I don't think so. I'd like to order one for myself but I'm not sure which one to pick :mad: what about DE or ES (germany, spain?) warehouses? Does it have to be Italy?

Italy is cheaper as the DHL cost is only €4.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Gold-384101.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

Here is a good guide for unlocking the bootloader:
    Unlock bootloader

Raoul wrote: »
    Here is a good guide for unlocking the bootloader:
    Unlock bootloader

Xiaomi Reddit wiki has some additional info on unlocking.

After getting approval there is also this: -
    You will only be able to unlock if it's been more than 72 hours that you successfully added your account and device. There's no way to get around this.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    Xiaomi Reddit wik has some additional info on unlocking.

After getting approval there is also this: -

That is a pain in the ass. I applied for the code on my mi account which was connected to facebook and then when I went to unlock, I realised that I was using a different mi account on the phone. Grrr. Have to wait 72 hours now.

• Advertisement

Stable Miui 9 for Redmi Note 4X (MIDO) released

Version: V9.0.3.0.NCFMIEI (MIUI9)

http://en.miui.com/download-321.html

nnrb7pj14czz.png

Is there any potential issues with using my handset as a wireless hotspot for continued use?
    My home has no broadband and instead of getting it installed, I thought that a large data package would be a better option and cheaper than separated mobile plan and broadband package - esp as I'm not sure as to how long I'll remain at this current property.

Thoughts?

Is there any potential issues with using my handset as a wireless hotspot for continued use?
    My home has no broadband and instead of getting it installed, I thought that a large data package would be a better option and cheaper than separated mobile plan and broadband package - esp as I'm not sure as to how long I'll remain at this current property.

Thoughts?

It would depend on what network your with. Some Don't Allow Tethering or have costly plans with limited downloads. Some networks turn a blind eye to it, (i.e. Three with All you can Eat (60gb fair use)).

It was Three that I was looking at. They seem to be the only one which really supports tethering/hotspots.

I guess I'm really asking is there a better way and if there is any adverse affect on phone of long term tethering i.e. battery degradation etc due to usage level.

It was Three that I was looking at. They seem to be the only one which really supports tethering/hotspots.

I guess I'm really asking is there a better way and if there is any adverse affect on phone of long term tethering i.e. battery degradation etc due to usage level.

Some have reported using a 3 sim (Pre pay - All you can eat) in a mobile broad band dongle. But you should know: -
    The Service is available for use with your SIM Card in your handset only. Tethering or use of your handset as, or the SIM in conjunction with, a modem is not allowed, except in the case of Three customers who have subscribed to a Three handset and Tablet bundle offering. In the event that we identify that you have breached this condition, Three reserves the right to suspend, modify or restrict your use of the Service or to withdraw your access to the Service at its absolute discretion.

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/new/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

I'll be getting a UK sim.

Their blurb on .co.uk states:
    Personal Hotspot.
    With Personal Hotspot, you can use your phone’s data allowance to connect up your other devices. Pretty handy for when you’re nowhere near a Wi-Fi connection. On our Essential Plans, you can’t use your inclusive data allowance to create a personal hotspot.

Says nothing about limited to only Three provided devices. Note - applies to the Advanced Plan only.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Hey folks, not 100% sure & looking for confirmation on this phone... https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Black-388108.html
    is this the redmi note 4 your all talking about, if so I think I'll order it for my kid for Xmas, looks decent to me, but not very clued in with phones. Any advice greatly appreciated:)

Paulmc. wrote: »
    Hey folks, not 100% sure & looking for confirmation on this phone... https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Offical-Global-Version-Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4G-64GB-Smartphone---Black-388108.html
    is this the redmi note 4 your all talking about, if so I think I'll order it for my kid for Xmas, looks decent to me, but not very clued in with phones. Any advice greatly appreciated:)

That's the one. Just to note when you are setting it up Ireland is not listed on the country list. Set to France as it is the closest. It's no issue whatsoever. Eg Australia is not listed either so they set to Hong Kong. The UK also isn't on the list so they also set to France

Paulmc. wrote: »

That's the one you want. Good price as well. Select DHL delivery for €4 & it will be with you in 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Discodog wrote: »
    That's the one you want. Good price as well. Select DHL delivery for €4 & it will be with you in 48 hours.

He might get stung for customs though no?

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    He might get stung for customs though no?

Ordering from Italy warehouse, so should not be any customs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Out of curiosity, is anyone here running custom ROMs on their phones? If so, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

There are also Redmi Note 4s available on Aliexpress on the Mi Global Store [not sure if that is official]. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/3010045_32829158301.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.14c6f8ccheeoGO

Not sure if it makes sense price-wise but it's another option. I'm really considering getting one myself as an upgrade from the Redmi Note 3 - is it worth it?

There are also Redmi Note 4s available on Aliexpress on the Mi Global Store [not sure if that is official]. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Xiaomi-Redmi-Note-4-4GB-64GB-ROM-Mobile-Phone-Snapdragon-625-Octa-Core-5-5-FHD/3010045_32829158301.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.14c6f8ccheeoGO

Not sure if it makes sense price-wise but it's another option. I'm really considering getting one myself as an upgrade from the Redmi Note 3 - is it worth it?

I think it's a good phone & great value. To me the cost saving wasn't worth the wait & risk of customs.

For some reason the version linked DOES NOT have BAND 20 for LTE here.

It is not an offical xiaomi store. Check HK Goldway instead.

corkie wrote: »
    For some reason the version linked DOES NOT have BAND 20 for LTE here.

It is not an offical xiaomi store. Check HK Goldway instead.

Well spotted :)

There are so many sellers who pretend to be official Xiaomi

fixxxer wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is anyone here running custom ROMs on their phones? If so, what?

Planning to do so once I can unlock my phone. Have to wait another 40 hours to do so.

I have used resurrection remix before and I liked it. Might try that when I get my phone unlocked.

Raoul wrote: »
    Planning to do so once I can unlock my phone. Have to wait another 40 hours to do so.

I have used resurrection remix before and I liked it. Might try that when I get my phone unlocked.

What difference does it make to the everyday use of the phone ?

I think I said it before but things I like are simple. Being able to skip tracks or skip 30 sec ahead by long pressing volume buttons, tasker for turning data off when wifi is on or for turning off all syncing while you are asleep or automatically turning the vol down when you put your headphones in and then adaway...so good and I only really realise now when I have to deal with ads. It gets rid of almost everything.

I guess they are the three main things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

That's the one. Just to note when you are setting it up Ireland is not listed on the country list. Set to France as it is the closest. It's no issue whatsoever. Eg Australia is not listed either so they set to Hong Kong. The UK also isn't on the list so they also set to France

Thanks for the tip! I finally bought one earlier today, expecting it to arrive on Monday :rolleyes:

Advertisement