Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭corkie

Does Xioami still have to launch the Redmi note series or is the Redmi 5/5plus going to cover them is well as they have a much bigger screen. I'm hoping they still have to launch a Note series as I'm a little disappointed with what was launched, looks completely different to some of the teaser pictures that I saw.

Possibly no Redmi Note 5!

Redmi 5 may be the actual redmi note 5 with a different name. Posted by a super moderator on MIUI forums

In a Redmi 5 Plus unboxing post on MIUI Forum, a super moderator says:
    The wait is finally over, Xiaomi has finally decided to release the Redmi Note 5, wait!!! I heard it’s called the Redmi 5 Plus? No kidding?? There was a name change? Well yes folks, the 2 new Redmi Note sized phones are named Redmi 5 for the 5.7″ and Redmi 5 Plus for the 5.99″.

What will happen to the successor of the Redmi 4X which is supposed to be a 5″ Redmi 5? No one knows, but as of the moment, Xiaomi has decided to drop the Note name on their 5.7″ sized budget phones. It has been quite a year and 3 months in the waiting for all of us Redmi fans from all over the world, and now we are going to unbox the bigger sibling among the two, the Redmi 5 Plus.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

corkie wrote:
    In a Redmi 5 Plus unboxing post on MIUI Forum, a super moderator says:

That's strange because the Redmi 5 wouldn't be a replacement for the Redmi 4/x as it has a less powerful chip if I'm not mistaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That's strange because the Redmi 5 wouldn't be a replacement for the Redmi 4/x as it has a less powerful chip if I'm not mistaking?

I wonder if the use of the word Note is causing problems? Plus the brand should major on Xiaomi not Redmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The Redmi was to mark it as the budget line as disttiny from the Mi 4/5/6 and the rest.

I don't think they'd replace the note series with the same chip. All the leaked pictures and rumours of the 630. I'm sure they'll release something but it's strange the ways there's so much uncertainty over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭mossy464

Anyone recommend a screen protector that ships from somewhere in Europe?

Not much on eBay apart from China based sellers. Could be February before that arrives.

mossy464 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a screen protector that ships from somewhere in Europe?

Not much on eBay apart from China based sellers. Could be February before that arrives.

I just ordered this. Supposed to be in Manchester

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282754557949

Discodog wrote: »

Message from the seller New message from: x-buy2017 Top Rated Seller(1,047Red Star)
    Hi dear,

Thanks for getting back to us.
    When we sent out it,it always prompt ”Address line 2 max length is restricted to”
    So the item had returned to us.

Would you please send the wrong address to us?
    Thank you~

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

I'll be opening a redmi note 4 on Xmas day. Anything owners would advise doing first?
    Do many of ye change from miui/root?

Jaycornyn wrote: »
    I'll be opening a redmi note 4 on Xmas day. Anything owners would advise doing first?
    Do many of ye change from miui/root?

I didn't & as a previous pure android user, I can't see the problem with muiu. All my apps work fine & some of the miui features are useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

Hey folks, having trouble with the note 4 not recognizing the sim card in slot 1 & 2, have tried a different sim to rule it out, still the same, any ideas? the young lad is cracking up

never mind folks, got it going, happy chap here now

Paulmc. wrote: »
    Hey folks, having trouble with the note 4 not recognizing the sim card in slot 1 & 2, have tried a different sim to rule it out, still the same, any ideas? the young lad is cracking up

I had no problem with mine & a Three sim? Are you sure that it's the right way round. Maybe check online to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

no hassle bud, I just updated to miui9 and all is well, he'll play with that for the day & I'll open my cans of cider I got for Xmas lol. Thanks for replying tho, Christmas day an all, appreciate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

I've owned the note 4 for a few months now and have one problem with it. In wondering if anyone else has it. When on a call I always use my right hand to hold the phone. I keep pressing the mute button with my cheek! I only realise when the caller starts saying hello hello are you there! Lol.

Its not a big deal as I can obviously swap hands but im wondering if anyone else is experiencing it.

I haven't noticed it but I use Google dialer rather than the Xiaomi one. Do you mean the on screen mute or the physical buttons?

got this for a gift for a family member. has to be said that the battery life on this thing is unreal.
    miui with the latest update seems clean enough also.

glasso wrote: »
    got this for a gift for a family member. has to be said that the battery life on this thing is unreal.
    miui with the latest update seems clean enough also.

It really makes you think about priorities. It's no bigger than normal so why don't other manufacturers prioritise battery life ? It's so good to simply not have to worry about charging during the day.

Discodog wrote: »
    It really makes you think about priorities. It's no bigger than normal so why don't other manufacturers prioritise battery life ? It's so good to simply not have to worry about charging during the day.

another reason besides the large 4000mah battery is that it has a mid-range processor - snapdragon 625 which uses less power than the 835's of this world. the performance of this chip is perfectly adequate - the operation is fast and smooth. people are too focussed on performance you don't really need for most people in a phone.

my perfect phone would be something like the battery life on this with a good camera set-up. doesn't seem to exist right now. I have personally an honor 8 at the moment. great stills camera but battery life is only adequate.

surely some manufacturer will manage to bring something out in 2018 with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've somehow put a nice clean crack across the screen of my beloved Z3 compact - everything below the crack works but I can't pull down the notification bar which is a problem. Proper screen replacement will be very close to £100 so I'm open to a change.

Anyway, after a few days of research I just can't see past picking up the Redmi Note 4. My days of expensive phones are over, can't justify it for my limited use. Work is very much an iphone zone, the only androids they provide some crap samsungs (a3, a5 iirc) so that's not an option.

Anyway, 2 main questions, if you please:

- How big is this phone in real world terms?
    The z3c was perfect size imo, I'm currently back on a HTC One M7 which is a bit bigger than the sony - battery is terrible now though.

- How bad is the camera?
    Not a huge issue as I don't think I use it a lot but the camera on the Sony was damn near perfect so I can't help think it'll be a bit of an issue when I do fancy using it.

theteal wrote: »
    I've somehow put a nice clean crack across the screen of my beloved Z3 compact - everything below the crack works but I can't pull down the notification bar which is a problem. Proper screen replacement will be very close to £100 so I'm open to a change.

Anyway, after a few days of research I just can't see past picking up the Redmi Note 4. My days of expensive phones are over, can't justify it for my limited use. Work is very much an iphone zone, the only androids they provide some crap samsungs (a3, a5 iirc) so that's not an option.

Anyway, 2 main questions, if you please:

The z3c was perfect size imo, I'm currently back on a HTC One M7 which is a bit bigger than the sony - battery is terrible now though.

- How bad is the camera?
    Not a huge issue as I don't think I use it a lot but the camera on the Sony was damn near perfect so I can't help think it'll be a bit of an issue when I do fancy using it.

it's not that big really and feels nice in the hand.
    it's bigger than a z3 compact obviously but you'd adapt handy enough.
    weight - 165g vs 130g for the z3 compact.
    will fit fine in a jeans pocket without noticing it.
    the camera is ok in daylight. not so good in dark areas or artificial light.
    you can improve the camera perf a bit with a bit of technical know-how / research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I've previously used Galaxy note 4, and Vodafone smart ultra 6, its similar in size to those, although I find the finger print sensor on the back of the redmi makes it much easier to unlock and use one-handed. But if you'd prefer a more compact handset, also consider the 4x.

- How bad is the camera?

awful for low light & indoor use, but usable outdoors. You can try different cameras (see earlier in thread) which will improve on stock camera but if good camera is a requirement, look elsewhere (maybe the Mi A1?)

awful for low light & indoor use, but usable outdoors. You can try different cameras (see earlier in thread) which will improve on stock camera but if good camera is a requirement, look elsewhere (maybe the Mi A1?)

the mi a1 camera is pretty poor in low light also.
    the dual lenses at the back do not automatically mean better performance unless the sensors in them are good with the software to match.

The A1 does look good. Clean Android too. £50 more expensive though. I can't say it'd be worth it if the camera isn't much better.

theteal wrote: »
    The A1 does look good. Clean Android too. £50 more expensive though. I can't say it'd be worth it if the camera isn't much better.

battery is smaller on A1 also - 3000mah vs 4000mah.

battery is smaller on A1 also - 3000mah vs 4000mah.

Yeah I noticed that, I expect I'd still easily get a full day out of 3000 so that doesn't make much difference in reaity

Discodog wrote:

Ya it is.. I've now forgotten what a bad battery is really like eg iPhone 5s, can't understand why people love them so much

another reason besides the large 4000mah battery is that it has a mid-range processor - snapdragon 625 which uses less power than the 835's of this world. the performance of this chip is perfectly adequate - the operation is fast and smooth. people are too focussed on performance you don't really need for most people in a phone.

my perfect phone would be something like the battery life on this with a good camera set-up. doesn't seem to exist right now. I have personally an honor 8 at the moment. great stills camera but battery life is only adequate.

surely some manufacturer will manage to bring something out in 2018 with both.

Unless you are gaming I can't see any need for a faster processor. It feels a lot faster & smoother than my old Nexus.

I was temped by the A1 but I glad that I chose the Note.

Ya it is.. I've now forgotten what a bad battery is really like eg iPhone 5s, can't understand why people love them so much

Mine is usually around 40% at bedtime even after video Skype calls. The in car charger & powerboat are now redundant.

Right, decision made.

So, grey or black?

I'm leaning toward grey

• Advertisement

I know the camera on the note 4 isn't amazing but I really can't see a wild amount wrong with it for most users. Its better then a lot of iPhone pictures I've seen and even if it comes a bit close to an iPhone 6 (for instance) then it's punching well above its weight

Advertisement