Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord of the Rings - [Amazon] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

2nd Age middleage pure blood elf.

At least Hugo Weaving's Elrond was a Half-Elf and could be said that he made the decision to be Elfin at that age

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 60,340 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Starts on September 2nd and to be honest those teaser look dire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks all right; nothing special so far but hey-ho; I think if you don't have a really distinct, imaginative creative mind like a Peter Jackson or Guillermo DelToro, all High Fantasy tends to look a little LARP'y to my eyes anyway. Maybe that's the problem with being the Mitochondrial Eve of Fantasy; without that strong voice you just look derivative - despite being that origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I had forgot this existed. Such a dissapointment.

I still just can't understand the money/point of this. Like yeah, it'll attract eyeballs for a day or two but for longevity the fact it's "LOTR" but without any of the characters without any of the characters won't help an awful lot.

Or they could, you know, tell one of the outstanding tales of that universe and not go off on their own.

Or if they want to go it alone, create a new IP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

*shrug* I know very little about the LoTR universe's canon, beyond pop-culture osmosis and hazy memories of The Hobbit 7 LOTR, so couldn't say how close it is or isn't; can only comment on what I see purely as a trailer for a High Fantasy show. Which was very low on story details, admittedly.

I'm sure if I was closer to the universe I'd have a stronger opinion.

• Advertisement

I tend to read the main story Hobbit/LOTR & appendices once a year.

Read "Children of Hurin" once, no way I could be that depressed reading a book again.

Silmarillion a few times just to understand and Unfinished Tales.

There is absolutely seasons upon seasons of material there without having to completely, apparently, redefine Galadriel and the lore.

I'll give it a chance but getting worse feeling that I did around Wheel of Time

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wierd .. so what? they just wanted a bunch of other people to put it up on youtube or something? to get more pr?

anyway..

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power - Exclusive Sneak Peek [2022] (4K ULTRA-HD) • Prime Video

backup 1: Rings of Power: teaser 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8peBxM0nRk

backup 2: Rings of Power: "Teaser 2" 2022 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF9TwVcFC7s

Lots of nods to the LOTR/Hobbit stuff I remember but The Ents reacting was the coolest I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,239 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This is clearly an alternate reality, not connected to Tolkien's actual work.

So many of which would have been amazing to see.

A new teaser drops; looks all right, sweeping helicopter are always OK with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Just watched it too - actually the visuals doesnt look bad but ya interestingly they chose to show these bird's eye view shots huh and after finished watching it - it is more like a fantasy-ish product to me, rather than a "OH LOOK new LOTR is coming out".

I get the aesthetics aren't slavishly based off the traditional artwork of the universe and annoys some, but I kinda like the Greco-Roman influence of those Elves and Humans; it makes for a nice change from the generic vaguely medieval look of High Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Considering how bad The Wheel of Time first season was, I've no idea why anyone would expect this to be good.

Am I the only one twitching with worry that the Harfoot accent is about to Jar Jar Binks the country into hating this with a passion?

I mean, at least with Julia Roberts people learned irish accents don’t work like that. Harfoots…..are fantasy……so they can’t be claimed as “Irish”….

….meaning they cannot be stopped. The…Darby O’Gill accent….canonified…… *twitching intensifies*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Well it does have different showrunners behind it so I'm not sure how it is related. The wheel of time tv series was disappointing though, probably as bad as the Hobbit movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Ooooffff.. That Harfoot accent. TBH, I wasn't gone on WoT. The amount of books and the accounts of their wild inconsistencies in quality put me off the books years ago. But I was interested in the series. I mean, I didn't hate it, it was quite traditional fantasy fare. But I suppose that was partially the problem. It was old school enough to be almost 100% predictable and the younger cast (the potentials I suppose) were beyond bland.

As for this... Well, I'm going to look at it as simply another high fantasy series. I doubt I am going to equate Galadrial with the ethereal Galadrial in LoTR or Kate Blanchet in the movies. And I'm ok with that. If my enjoyment of the book (I have only read LoTR and The Hobbit) can survive the abysmal Hobbit trilogy then it will survive this. I am still interested in seeing what they do.

Interestingly, I remember years ago Peter Jackson stating that they had so much footage that they could make a miniseries. Now, do I want to see another 4 hours added to the ludicrously long Hobbit movies? Hell no. They are dead to me (I didn't not even see last one in cinema). But a carefully edited extended extended edition of the original trilogy COULD be interesting.

Anyway. Yeah, that Harfoot accent.... Ouch. Like a Hobbit stepping on Lego

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

An exciting trailer; the strongest yet. I'm now properly looking forward to checking it out. The scope seems legit epic in those moments.

Though why oh why must dwarves always be Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That has a big budget film feel to it - can't wait to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thought that was Freya Allen as Galadriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Is a bit Anthology or is it stuck in the one timeline?

The dwarves under the mountain bit started me thinking a big anthology.

I haven't read the books but I think I've heard they cover a large timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭Niska

Though why oh why must dwarves always be Scottish?

The trope of Scottish sounding dwarves in fantasy is generally linked to Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Hearts_and_Three_Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Looks like utter garbage.

Not Tolkien.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Reading the comments section of the trailers seems more entertaining than the show will be. They have managed to get alot of people's backs up. Not a good sign for the show itself.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Listen to this guy - "Obviously the films came out 2001 to 2003 and I was born in 2005 so it's not really my generation but it’s been on around the house, my dad used to watch it," he told the PA news agency.

"The great thing about this show is it’s now bringing Tolkien and Middle Earth to a whole new generation of people that did miss the trilogy (who) are now going to witness Middle Earth all over again and fall in love with it all over again.

Well firstly they can't witness it all over again if they missed it first time around, duh!. And how you you miss out on seeing some of the best films ever made. Are they out of print now or something. Star Wars came out before I was born yet I've watched it countless times and love it far better than anything the franchise has produced since. This attuite stinks. It comes off sounding bitter about Jackson's movies while insinuating Amazon is producing the definitive version of Tolkien's works. In defence of the actor he was very likely told to peddle this stuff , as were other members of the cast because it gets worse..

Nomvete then asserted, “To be the poster child and to fly the flag, being a mother, being a woman, being a person of colour, being a curvaceous woman deemed as a thing of beauty is something we don’t always see.”

So that image of Disa… that is all of those things personified in a face, and it happens to be my face,” she said.

Maybe I'm wrong , but what I gleaned from that quote is the actor believes she's portraying herself and is kinda boasting how the show his propping up her own personal characteristics. This is pure narcissism and its very unappealing to most people.

You would expect every Tom Dick and Harry to be talking about this show since it was like the second coming of the Beatles when Jacksons movies came out. The hype isn't there and that surely has a lot to do with Amazons contempt for the beloved source material.

• Advertisement

Why would there be hype for a show that's still a month away from release? Media promotion seems to have a fairly narrow window these days; Christ Netflix barely promotes half its own shows, bar some of the really big hitters like Stranger Things. I've seen some bus adverts, but by and large haven't noticed much promotion of this by Amazon yet. I imagine that'll change in the week running into the show's launch.

Weird hyper-fixation on the cast; it really does read like minds are made up and just searching for reasons to be salty now. Who cares what Actor Joe Bloggs thinks coming into their role - I couldn't give a fig if they literally think this is a documentary and Middle Earth a real place... as long as their performance is good. I never read press junkets 'cos the waffle from actors is meaningless.

Whether this is a success or not will come down to the appetite of casual viewers who don't care about the canon, the casting, the politics, or whatever people think drove the production. I'm sure Amazon would like it to be a winner so they don't have to constantly pimp The Boys as much.

Huh, that's interesting; didn't think there would actually be a singular origin!

Advertisement