Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

I think it's strange, too, to see the word "ego" used in such a negative sense in your criticism.

It takes a great deal of self-esteem and confidence to put your work out into the world for public scrutiny. Any actor, musician, sports star, visual artist, author, commentator, entertainer, or presenter you care to mention relies to a great degree on their ego. They have to believe in themselves and in their work, both in order to create the things you consume and in order to discuss them with an audience.

That tends to be the difference between success and failure. The people with the strength of character to recover from failure, learn from it, recognise constructive criticism and use it (or not) appropriately, these are the ones who "make it" on the grander stages.

Dont believe you need a big ego to be very successful very recent case is Rose Namajunas killing red hot favorite Johanna Jedrzeczyk in UFC. She was immensely humble in the lead up and after the fight.
    Difference between self belief and ego.
    Many far more successful people than Blindboy lot more humble in my opinion.

Ego just wants to be right and self validated. Hence why he needs to be heard, jumping on any bandwagon that rolls into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

snippet of the podcast about the plastic bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

Dont believe you need a big ego to be very successful very recent case is Rose Namajunas killing red hot favorite Johanna Jedrzeczyk in UFC. She was immensely humble in the lead up and after the fight.
    Difference between self belief and ego.
    Many far more successful people than Blindboy lot more humble in my opinion.

Ego just wants to be right and self validated. Hence why he needs to be heard, jumping on any bandwagon that rolls into town.

I think you are reading Insect Overlords comments incorrectly, he s talking about ego in the sense of self belief and fearlessness around his work being rejected. I think you are looking at it from the point of view of the school yard where the lad who is doing something talented such as juggling a football or some other activity that takes talent and the other lads rather than applaud him or enjoy his abilities are standing by saying 'look at your man big ego on him, thinks he s great' It always says more about the onlooker than the participant. Frankly you know nothing about him and all this talk of him thinking he s great and all wise and knowing and a big ego and not humble , and whatever other **** you re pinning on him is all happening in your head. If you dig deep enough you ll probably understnd why but Im not going to guess as I dont know what you ve got going on in your life that causes Blindboy to irk you so much. At the end of the day he s just a guy trying to make a living out of being an artist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think it's strange, too, to see the word "ego" used in such a negative sense in your criticism.

It takes a great deal of self-esteem and confidence to put your work out into the world for public scrutiny. Any actor, musician, sports star, visual artist, author, commentator, entertainer, or presenter you care to mention relies to a great degree on their ego. They have to believe in themselves and in their work, both in order to create the things you consume and in order to discuss them with an audience.

That tends to be the difference between success and failure. The people with the strength of character to recover from failure, learn from it, recognise constructive criticism and use it (or not) appropriately, these are the ones who "make it" on the grander stages.

Yet it takes no skill, confidence or ability whatsoever to be a guttersnipe. If someone really is that upset by someone's success, well everyone is given the same chance.
    If someone thinks a celebrity is untalented/stupid, they can always get off the couch and let the world marvel at their own stellar talent, humongous intellect and blinding good looks.
    Writing massive online essays why someone/something is no good is a massive waste and achieves absolutely nothing except showcasing what a tool that person is.
    It's a bit like these hour long YouTube videos that "prove" how bad a movie is, they could have used the same resources to make something better and let us all marvel at their genius. Unless they haven't got an such genius and are merely sh*tehawks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was on Ryan Turbidy rado show today, promoting his podcasts and book.

I wonder does he wear the bag on the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

He explained the bag in one of his podcast episodes and it’s not rocket science. Nothing wrong with wanting to maintain some privacy and anonymity while you’re creating and putting your work out there. And looking at some of the reaction to him simply having a platform I can’t say I blame him.

... and of course without the bag and the silly name, he's just like me or you.

And no-one would think he's a genius, so the bag stays.

This is the same thing that happened in marriage equality. There was a lot of people refused to listen to panti talking and couldn’t take what she was saying seriously as they saw it as a man in a dress. She was talking all the sense in the world but people couldn’t get past the presentation of it. Which is kinda ridiculous.

david75 wrote: »
    This is the same thing that happened in marriage equality. There was a lot of people refused to listen to panti talking and couldn’t take what she was saying seriously as they saw it as a man in a dress. She was talking all the sense in the world but people couldn’t get past the presentation of it. Which is kinda ridiculous.

Who is ridiculous though?

Us or Blindboy?
    Could Panti not have got the same message across dressed 'normally'?

I maintain that the bag makes Blindboy a celeb. Without it, he's just another punter with an opinion.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who is ridiculous though?

Us or Blindboy?
    Could Panti not have got the same message across dressed 'normally'?

I maintain that the bag makes Blindboy a celeb. Without it, he's just another punter with an opinion.

That’s the thing though. Why should anyone have to adjust their whole thing to make it acceptable or normal in order for it to be deemed fit for consumption or fair review? Surely it’s up to us to get past that? I can get past the plastic bag I’m listening to what the guy has to say the bag neither adds to nor takes anything away from that for me.
    I’m no fanboi by no means. I gave his podcast a spin on a whim. Don’t know anything at all about them past that song they had out.

Countless artists and entertainers and bands have a totem or a gimmick. I don’t see the problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

They both have careers outside of being rubberbandits. Blindboy's is in academia; sociology I think; so social commentary is kinda what he does. I think he's entirely sincere with it tbh.

The plastic bag thing works. I've hung out with them and they are able to just hang out. You wouldn't necessarily pick them out of the group.

They both have careers outside of being rubberbandits. Blindboy's is in academia; sociology I think; so social commentary is kinda what he does. I think he's entirely sincere with it tbh.

The plastic bag thing works. I've hung out with them and they are able to just hang out. You wouldn't necessarily pick them out of the group.

I really appreciate the fact that he’s totally eschewing the celebrity nonsense aspect. As much as you can be a celebrity in Ireland. If he was doing it to take part in that vacuous Late late show zeleb thing he’d get nothing but sh!t for it.
    We just need to adjust to the fact that some people like to create to create and aren’t interested in the fame aspect/bi product of it.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    I think you are reading Insect Overlords comments incorrectly, he s talking about ego in the sense of self belief and fearlessness around his work being rejected. I think you are looking at it from the point of view of the school yard where the lad who is doing something talented such as juggling a football or some other activity that takes talent and the other lads rather than applaud him or enjoy his abilities are standing by saying 'look at your man big ego on him, thinks he s great' It always says more about the onlooker than the participant. Frankly you know nothing about him and all this talk of him thinking he s great and all wise and knowing and a big ego and not humble , and whatever other **** you re pinning on him is all happening in your head. If you dig deep enough you ll probably understnd why but Im not going to guess as I dont know what you ve got going on in your life that causes Blindboy to irk you so much. At the end of the day he s just a guy trying to make a living out of being an artist.

No need to dig just think hes full of shyt. We all don't have to marvel at his alleged intellect.

The word artist has become meaningless these days.

Nobody’s being forced to listen to it. And can anyone truly criticise it or even comment on it if they haven’t even listened to it just cos they don’t like the guy? Or the fact he has a bag on his head?

No need to dig just think hes full of shyt. We all don't have to marvel at his alleged intellect.

The word artist has become meaningless these days.

You re the only one on here that s been talking about his intellect alleged or not.

Musician, songwriter, producer, comedian, documentary maker, author....what exactly does constitute an artist in your view.

They both have careers outside of being rubberbandits. Blindboy's is in academia; sociology I think; so social commentary is kinda what he does. I think he's entirely sincere with it tbh. .

You mean Dave Chambers is in academia....would like to think that in his real job he doesn't call himself a silly name.

You mean Dave Chambers is in academia....would like to think that in his real job he doesn't call himself a silly name.

It seems amazing that this has to be explained but I guess that s where we are. He wears the bag when he is being Blindboy then when he s off stage or not doing radio/TV interviews as Blindboy like when he s out watching a band or in the pub or meeting his friends he takes the bag off and returns to being Dave.So yes what you would like to think is indeed true. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The bag over his head is the last thing that I would criticise him for.

His belief that the one thing vulnerable young men need is feminism is correct if we are talking about traditional feminism. But if he means modern, and very, toxic third/fourth wave feminism then he is quite frankly talking bollocks.

The bag over his head is the last thing that I would criticise him for.

His belief that the one thing vulnerable young men need is feminism is correct if we are talking about traditional feminism. But if he means modern, and very, toxic third/fourth wave feminism then he is quite frankly talking bollocks.

I think he’s using broad strokes and asking his considerable audience of younger lads to listen and get in tune with feminism rather than any particular brand of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think he’s using broad strokes and asking his considerable audience of younger lads to listen and get in tune with feminism rather than any particular brand of it
    And it's still mindbendingly moronic a suggestion. Why the hell would any man look to feminism to help him? Feminism is as the name suggests always has been and is for women(fair enough), modern feminism demonises men at every turn, so what the fcuk it has to do with young men is beyond me, beyond idiotic to believe otherwise and beyond a joke to promote it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Dannyriver wrote: »
    You re the only one on here that s been talking about his intellect alleged or not.

Musician, songwriter, producer, comedian, documentary maker, author....what exactly does constitute an artist in your view.

Someone who makes relevant art.

If you see him as all those things then you really seeing him through rose tinted glasses. We all don't see him with gooey besotted eyes, some of us see him for the big eejit he is.

Musician,comedian etc is really stretching it. If I have a bit of fame and I fart into a traffic cone and loop it and release it as a single does that make me a musician?.

Same artistic merit as his cough music cough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If I have a bit of fame and I fart into a traffic cone and loop it and release it as a single does that make me a musician?.

Same artistic merit as his cough music cough.

Couldn't be any worse than your posts in this thread, tbh...

Couldn't be any worse than your posts in this thread, tbh...

Ohhhh it hurts. Zing!.

Haha ah come on pal you have to reference my silly wit to try and burn me?.

Or to quote Herman Melville it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in failure.
    Though I feel if you ever had an original thought it would die of loneliness.

I'd bet you are waiting patiently for your fanboys to come along and like your post now. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Wibbs wrote: »
    And it's still mindbendingly moronic a suggestion. Why the hell would any man look to feminism to help him? Feminism is as the name suggests always has been and is for women(fair enough), modern feminism demonises men at every turn, so what the fcuk it has to do with young men is beyond me, beyond idiotic to believe otherwise and beyond a joke to promote it.

Absolutely agree. Completely ridiculous that he is advocating for young men to become feminists as a way to solve their problems.

Mokuba wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Completely ridiculous that he is advocating for young men to become feminists as a way to solve their problems.

I don’t think that’s what he was doing at all but whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I don’t think that’s what he was doing at all but whatever.

Of course he is
    I personally think that what these young men need is feminism – because when I’m down in Limerick speaking to lads that I know who are suffering from mental health issues, when I actually speak to them and get to the core of ‘what’s bothering you man?’ what they always say to me is ‘I have nothing to offer a woman’.

Can people stop giving this clown a voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Which makes it a hugely broad,and dangerous, statement to make as certain strands of modern Feminism have evolved into something that is borderline psychotic. As evidenced by some of the bile spouted by certain spokespeople for some of these third and fourth wave strands.

If you are going to make a statement as he did on national TV, either be very specific about what you are talking about or steer well clear of the topic altogether.

+1.

Probably one one of the dumbest points ever made on the Late Late ever and that's saying something. The irony is the guy lives in la la land and is championed by RTE so thinks it was profound and savvy.

If Tubs had a pair of balls he would have simply asked the simple question

'Blindboy how can young men becoming feminists cure them of their loneliness,misfortune and depression?.

Such flawed logic it's almost unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Of course he is Can people stop giving this clown a voice.

But you only quoted half of what was said there. And quotes taken out of context almost always get distorted.

He THEN went on to clarify what he meant by that. And what he meant by it is that he sees feminism as making women and men equal and that this attitude he has encountered in some men of "I as a man need to have something to offer women" needs to be replaced by the concept of seeing the man and woman in any relationship as equals.

So this view of the man's place to be about "providing for a woman" is outdated in his view and he defines feminism as "Not about females being powerful but about redressing a balance and being about equality".

Not seeing any wrong with any of what he said myself to be honest. And rather than listen to what he said on the matter of feminism we see people on this thread introduce THEIR interpretation of "feminism" or "modern feminism" and judging what the speaker said by THOSE lights and definitions rather than his own. As with many things alas, I think we have a single word "feminism" which has come to mean too many different things to too many people. And as always when a word comes to mean too much, it ends up meaning too little.

So rather than single sentences taken out of the whole, people are welcome to listen to the entire monologue here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

... and of course without the bag and the silly name, he's just like me or you.

link us to your tunes and your book.

Advertisement