Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

givyjoe wrote: »
    What?! 20% or 50-60% of ALL MEN (in Ireland) is the judgment another poster has made, not me!! What on earth are you on about. Or if you really want to be pedantic, half of ALL MEN in Ireland have supposedly sexual assaulted someone.

I never said 20-60% sexually assaulted someone.

currants wrote: »
    Far better to stay and begrudge them their begrudgery no?

I didn't think of that..yeah, ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Somebody is hanging around with the wrong crowd or is seriously deluded or perhaps just a wind up merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Shadowstrife

Really? I remember it was covered fairly well in the media, not just O'Neill.
    Everything from Joe Biden supporting the victim alone was fairly well covered.

Even well covered stories from abroad don't get much notice sometimes. If it isn't GAA, Subway or local politics related, the lads wouldn't hear it around here.

Major cases from India are more well-known, probably because there is a major rape a week out there.

This thread still definitely needs an old school 1-10 poll of how hot is Lou..

• Advertisement

:eek: So you agree, that if say someone says 50% of ALL MEN (that's 1 in 2 so you're not confused) have committed sexual assault, that I would indeed be as you put it, pulling figures out of my ass and could possibly be accused of being bereft of common sense?

Didn't day 50% of men have committed sexual assault either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

She’s the face of the feminazi bogeyman, creeping down your hallway in the dead of night with her big kitchen scissors, coming to take your balls...or something

I'm a grown up. I know what she says is rubbish. I'm mainly concerned about her coming after the balls of impressionable and vulnerable boys who are being convinced at every turn that they're all just waiting for a chance to become an offender of some kind.

Every time a woman is seen behaving horribly to a man, it doesn't give rise to an angry masculinist columnist working in mainstream media providing the event as evidence of some matriarchal bogeywoman. It seems right-on when the genders are reversed. It only cuts one way.

Grayson wrote: »
    I asked who made a statement about all men and you replied with 20% of ALL men. (You used the capitals for emphasis, not me)

That's not a statement about ALL men. That's a statement about 20% of men.

That's how percentages work.

It doesn't matter what you say to givyjoe. When you point out you never said what he claims you said he then tries to get you to argue against the thing you never said.

FFS, would you ever read the thread your commenting on! Or even the specific post I quoted, from the poster CLAIMING that all men, oh sorry, every second man, is guilty of sexual assault. Talk about splitting hairs.

This too. Read the thread givyjoe. I never said 1 in 2 men were guilty of sexual assault. Take your own advice and read the thread.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    This too. Read the thread givyjoe. I never said 1 in 2 men were guilty of sexual assault. Take your own advice and read the thread.

It wouldn't surprise me if you believed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm a grown up. I know what she says is rubbish. I'm mainly concerned about her coming after the balls of impressionable and vulnerable boys who are being convinced at every turn that they're all just waiting for a chance to become an offender of some kind.

To be fair this is something that I worry about for my boys too. There’s got to be a happy medium though. Having them go to a mixed non-religious school with decent sex education, and keeping lines of communication open is a start. Now if we could just get everyone else to do the same for their kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Sile Na Gig

py2006 wrote: »

Ah here...

Ah here...

Read her posts...

I don't believe it. But obviouslywhat I actually say doesn't matter to people on this thread.

You'll just make up stuff I said to argue against.

Read her posts...

It's pretty typical of your approach to LON. You can't argue against what she actually says so you either make up stuff she said, or argue that because she didn't say something it was tantamount to saying something else, then argue against that. Or infer that based on her tweets you know what she believes about something she never said and argue against that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

My apologies, you said harassed. Much better :rolleyes:
    So you believe that 50-60% of men have harassed women. Well Grayson believes you're pulling figures out of your ass, so perhaps you'd like to address that also.

It's pretty typical of your approach to LON. You can't argue against what she actually says so you either make up stuff she said, or argue that because she didn't say something it was tantamount to saying something else, then argue against that. Or infer that based on her tweets you know what she believes about something she never said and argue against that.

What are you on about??

What did I make up that she said??

It doesn't matter what you say to givyjoe. When you point out you never said what he claims you said he then tries to get you to argue against the thing you never said.

Whatever you say Louise. You do love a good bit of irony in your posts don't you.. So what did you say on your 50-60% out of your arse stat.. that it was 50-60% of men that have harassed women? like i said much better :rolleyes:

My apologies, you said harassed. Much better :rolleyes:
    So you believe that 50-60% of men have harassed women. Well Grayson believes you're pulling figures out of your ass, so perhaps you'd like to address that also.

So now 20-60 equals 50-60. Unbelievable. Really unbelievable.

Whatever you say Louise. You do love a good bit of irony in your posts don't you.. So what did you say on your 50-60% out of your arse stat.. that it was 50-60% of men that have harassed women? like i said much better :rolleyes:

I did not say 50-60.

I'm just going to keep pointing out your lies so you should stop lying.

• Advertisement

So now 20-60 equals 50-60. Unbelievable. Really unbelievable.

Are you having a laugh?! You said first of all that it might 20%, then you said that it could 50-60%!! These are your owns posts.. actually you stated those 2 figures in 1 post!! Unbelievable is right!

Would you like me to go and quote it for you before you go and delete it?!

Edit: Here's the post - But yeah, I'm lying, get a grip.. seriously.
    I'm open on that point. I definitely don't think it's a small minority. But im open to it being a minority (say 20%) and I'm open to it being a small majority (50-60%).

Are you having a laugh?! You said first of all that it might 20%, then you said that it could 50-60%!! These are your owns posts.. actually you stated those 2 figures in 1 post!! Unbelievable is right!

Would you like me to go and quote it for you before you go and delete it?!

Edit: Here's the post - But yeah, I'm lying, get a grip.. seriously.

I said it could be either. So 20-60%.

I never said it was 50-60% of men. Please stop lying.

Here you say I said it WAS 50-60%. That's a lie.

The quote you post says it MIGHT be 50-60. It might be 20. So 20-60 is the correct range to quote me as. 50-60 is not.

I said it could be either. So 20-60%.

I never said it was 50-60% of men. Please stop lying.

How is quoting you lying?! What does 'im open to it..' to it mean?! You said you didn't believe that it was a minorty and YOU, no one else, offered up those ludicrous percentages!!

So, you believe that anywhere from 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 men, have harassed women, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

She’s the face of the feminazi bogeyman, creeping down your hallway in the dead of night with her big kitchen scissors, coming to take your balls...or something

Yep. That's her. She wants to lock all men up in camps and turn women into lesbians.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What percentage of posts in this thread are a boring argument about percentages?

How is quoting you lying?! What does 'im open to it..' to it mean?! You said you didn't believe that it was a minorty and YOU, no one else, offered up those ludicrous percentages!!

So, you believe that anywhere from 1 in 5 to 1 in 2 men, have harassed women, correct?

Another lie. I did not say I didn't believe it was a minority. I said I didn't believe it was a tiny minority. Please read my posts and stop lying.

You are wasting your time there I think. Best to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Omackeral wrote: »
    I posted it twice now and both times you’ve ignored it. Here’s one of our very own posters denigrating ALL Irish men.

Sorry. I didn't deliberately ignore it.

So all the times that people have referred to feminists judging all men as rapists etc... that's the post that that they've been referring to.?That's as bad as it gets. Even Louise O'Neill hasn't said it? Because the first post I replied to asking for proof said that Louise O'Neill thought all men were rapists. (I don't think you made that post so don't think I'm saying you did).

To address the post you mentioned, if you follow the thread bak the poster was talking about rape laws and rape convictions in Ireland. And how the laws here had to change.

So when she said she was happy abroad she means not in Ireland because of the laws. So you managed to cut off the second half of her quote and take the quote out of context. and

• Advertisement

You are wasting your time there I think. Best to move on

Yup he is wasting his time lying about what I said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement