Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

retalivity wrote: »
    I clicked in here expecting a story about how coronavirus is the patriarchy's fault

When i saw the irish times infections the other day i was praying it got una and louise. Keep them spewing their sexist bile for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When i saw the irish times infections the other day i was praying it got una and louise. Keep them spewing their sexist bile for a few weeks

Great Freudian slip.

It really does seem that the people who used to go on about how dangerous her writings were, are really disappointed that she's stopped "spewing sexist bile" and would really like her to get back to it. Anything to "Keep them spewing their sexist bile for a few weeks".

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well that's a bit... much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You're nothing but a sad little troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Ill apologise, Im not wishing corona virus on anyone. Terrible journalists with a massive chip on their shoulder but not deserving of corona virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Terrible journalists with a massive chip on their shoulder but not deserving of corona virus.

In a way, you complimented them by calling them journalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

You're really letting yourself down here, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You're really letting yourself down here, lads.

I thought Una and Louise were girls.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

:D The incels hate women who stand up for themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

py2006 wrote: »
    In a way, you complimented them by calling them journalists.

Aye, that was a mistake i'd say. Journalists :confused::D Like fuk they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

timhenn wrote: »

The last five words in that sentence are redundant.

timhenn wrote: »

Generally yes, real nasty streak of hatred towards margaret thatcher, ivanka trump , carly fiorina, priti patel, theresa may etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,400 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Generally yes, real nasty streak of hatred towards margaret thatcher, ivanka trump , carly fiorina, priti patel, theresa may etc...

Do you want any of them getting Coronavirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

pjohnson wrote: »
    Do you want any of them getting Coronavirus?

No, ironic justice demands that Priti Patel dies from starvation cause by brexit food shortages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Apparently, she's now written a novel.

I'll be rushing out to buy it.....

Like I will in me hole. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I’ll go out on a limb and say the baddie in the book is a man

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No comments allowed when it was posted on thejournal. Probably a sponsored promotion piece. I'm nearly hafl tempted to buy it now out of curiosity to see if it contains the kind of vitriol I imagine it does

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No comments allowed when it was posted on thejournal. Probably a sponsored promotion piece. I'm nearly hafl tempted to buy it now out of curiosity to see if it contains the kind of vitriol I imagine it does

dont waste you money or do anything to support these kind of people.
    watch the late late, im sure she will be on to tell us all how amzing her story is and how she had to overcome so much to write it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

CageWager wrote: »
    I’ll go out on a limb and say the baddie in the book is a man

The baddie in the book is Ian Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Water John

From any writing I've seen about the book, it's very thinly disguised, if at all.

Sky King wrote: »
    The baddie in the book is Ian Bailey.

You wouldn't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

‘Why These Women Stay’

Often this has a simple answer: They enjoy all the drama and excitement of it. A man who treated them well would be boring and predictable. A particular type of woman definitely seeks out men like this, and will ignore all advice and evidence to the contrary.

Ironically this type of man also seems to inspire a devotion in a woman that you won't see in a "normal" relationship. I guess it's some sort of co-dependence. As evidenced by Louise herself, secretly a man like this is what she's looking for.
    Meanwhile, Keelin – whose first husband viciously beat her – finds herself in another abusive relationship, despite her training as a counsellor and having worked in a women’s refuge.

"despite" should be replaced with "because of" .... counselling is all about finding reasons in childhood etc for bad behaviour instead of just acknowledging that some people are just azzholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,695 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'SO OFTEN, AUTHOR Louise O’Neill says, our thoughts turn to the wives of men accused of terrible crimes – and why they choose to stay. '

Literally 14 words into the article...! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

‘Why These Women Stay’

Often this has a simple answer: They enjoy all the drama and excitement of it. A man who treated them well would be boring and predictable. A particular type of woman definitely seeks out men like this, and will ignore all advice and evidence to the contrary.

Ironically this type of man also seems to inspire a devotion in a woman that you won't see in a "normal" relationship. I guess it's some sort of co-dependence. As evidenced by Louise herself, secretly a man like this is what she's looking for.
    I can't stand LON and her brand of woke feminism, but the above is just dreadful. Absolute victim blaming - literally saying they ask for it.

Would you say that about a man who is being abused by his male or female partner/spouse?

People don't leave abusive relationships because they don't see a way out. They are ground down mentally and their self esteem is shot. They don't think they can make it "outside". They are dependent on their abuser, and the abuser knows it. They are sometimes too afraid to leave also.

People don't seek an abuser - they are reeled in by charm, hardly by abusiveness. You really do come up with some beauts in relation to women.

And where on earth is the evidence that Louise wants a man like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

‘Why These Women Stay’

"despite" should be replaced with "because of" .... counselling is all about finding reasons in childhood etc for bad behaviour instead of just acknowledging that some people are just azzholes.

while this obviously doesnt apply in most domestic violence situations is does in some . some people do seem to like being treated badly and stay going back for more even though they have broken up . look at the amount of people that jump from one scumbag to another and then complain when it turns out this obvious scumbag is a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I read her first book, it was kinda one for teenagers really, but it was fairly well received.

I think her niche might be to write about ‘toxic masculinity’ etc and that’s enough to get her a lot of publicity, which is going to help publishers sell a lot of books.

It’s part of publishing, the best books aren’t necessarily the best sellers. Her first one certainly wasn’t a great book by any means, but it was a huge success, even the name would have helped hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement