Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

She might have been reading her colleague's article, Brendan O'Connor saying 'the smart fellas are buying up property', as the market and economy folded around his jug handle like ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭TheDavester

py2006 wrote: »
    Ah yea, she has a boyfriend now...

she's gone awfully quiet since she hooked up with the guy from Newstalk....she's not burning the place down ….maybe that's what the offended 3rd wave feminsits need....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

she's gone awfully quiet since she hooked up with the guy from Newstalk....she's not burning the place down ….maybe that's what the offended 3rd wave feminsits need....

Could be. I often think the lads on the other side of the outrage coin could use a good ride to settle them down too, if only they could get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Could be. I often think the lads on the other side of the outrage coin could use a good ride to settle them down too, if only they could get it.

To be fair, there are very few problems to which a good ride is not the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Piles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

retalivity wrote: »
    It was Niamh Horan wasnt it?

No not Horan, Alison O'Riordan
    TWO years ago I bought my apartment and swapped the leafy suburbs of my family home in Rathmines for life as a city slicker in the sought-after riverside location of Grand Canal Quay in Dublin 2.

When I began my search of properties in early 2008 I knew exactly what I wanted. A two-bed apartment designed for modern living with a roof garden and outdoor space with great views of the happening city. When I saw just this in May of that year, it accelerated my impulse to buy immediately, even though the market was softening.

The two-bed showroom apartment on the fifth floor of a six-storey building cost me €525,000 at the time which included a parking space in my development for €45,000. I now see my apartment devalue massively on a daily basis. Hooke and McDonald have said the typical price drop for apartments in city-centre locations is 40 per cent.

When I contacted my property consultant HT Meagher O'Reilly this week to find out how much my apartment has dropped, they said these types of units would be on sale for around €300,000 to €325,000 at the minute. I didn't even buy at the peak of the boom, but at a time when I thought things were at a more realistic level.

It was, however, weeks before the collapse in the middle of 2008, when prices tumbled. I ignored repeated warnings both from my parents and the Central Bank and instead ploughed in head first and handed over the money.I have major regrets thinking about what I did, and what I could have done with all the surplus money that I will have to pay back for many years to come.
    https://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/i-signed-my-life-away-for-the-sake-of-city-centre-apartment-26642735.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

i liked one of your posts...an odd feeling...but twas a point well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,096 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

TWO years ago I bought my apartment and swapped the leafy suburbs of my family home in Rathmines for life as a city slicker in the sought-after riverside location of Grand Canal Quay in Dublin 2.

Ffs, youd swear she moved from roscommon or kerry, rathmines is 4km away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Fair is fair, Louise’s articles are not as bad as they used to be and she stopped coming out with idiotic stuff on social media.
    This is quite a decent article.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/louise-oneill/i-promise-you-that-as-hard-as-recovery-from-an-eating-disorder-is-its-worth-it-932194.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Seems they have something in common with the male feminists. Desperate for the ride.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair is fair, Louise’s articles are not as bad as they used to be and she stopped coming out with idiotic stuff on social media.
    This is quite a decent article.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/columnists/louise-oneill/i-promise-you-that-as-hard-as-recovery-from-an-eating-disorder-is-its-worth-it-932194.html
    It is too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

El Duderino was never able to compete in terms of masculinity in his adolescence, girls weren't interested in him and he ranked low on the totem pole amongst his Male peers. He was likely not very good at sports, the domain where masculinity thrives. This was a very painful experience for El Duderino. As a coping mechanism he came to disdain masculinity, a better alternative than accepting himself as not good enough.

As a result El Duderino aligned himself with many feminist causes as an outlet to attack masculinity, you can sense the seething rage in him just below the surface. He seeks out any opportunity to have a dig at anyone who has a whiff of masculinity. But it never works, he still deep down feels inadequate, like something is missing. The solution is not insulting others, the solution is revisiting those old wounds from his adolescence and processing them emotionally, accepting them, and finally accepting himself. He'll find he no longer sees masculinity as some form of threat which must be attacked.

Amazing - reads just like the back cover of a bromance novel by RedPills & Boon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

B0jangles wrote: »
    RedPills & Boon.
    *salutes* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Wibbs wrote: »
    It is too.

Phoned in I suspect.

El Duderino was never able to compete in terms of masculinity in his adolescence, girls weren't interested in him and he ranked low on the totem pole amongst his Male peers. He was likely not very good at sports, the domain where masculinity thrives. This was a very painful experience for El Duderino. As a coping mechanism he came to disdain masculinity, a better alternative than accepting himself as not good enough.

As a result El Duderino aligned himself with many feminist causes as an outlet to attack masculinity, you can sense the seething rage in him just below the surface. He seeks out any opportunity to have a dig at anyone who has a whiff of masculinity. But it never works, he still deep down feels inadequate, like something is missing. The solution is not insulting others, the solution is revisiting those old wounds from his adolescence and processing them emotionally, accepting them, and finally accepting himself. He'll find he no longer sees masculinity as some form of threat which must be attacked.

Ive seen a few iterations of this post. I think it's nearly word for word the same as you've posted before. It's so detailed that it would be impressive if it was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Fairly on the nose.

I'm sure you are a smashing bloke when off the net. On here your posts suggest you are not the full shilling!

But, who is...

py2006 wrote: »
    Fairly on the nose.

I'm sure you are a smashing bloke when off the net. On here your posts suggest you are not the full shilling!

But, who is...

Erm. Ok. I probably won't make any kind of personal attack on you or the other poster above because i don't pretend to know things about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Erm. Ok. I probably won't make any kind of personal attack on you or the other poster above because i don't pretend to know things about you.

I attacked myself personally too. :)

Enjoy the sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

she's on the Late Late now, or Darcy's show, whatever its called

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shes horrid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

she's on the Late Late now, or Darcy's show, whatever its called

She gave Boards a shoutout

Hi Louise!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Skid X wrote: »
    She gave Boards a shoutout

Hi Louise!

I presume not in a positive way? Must've been really bothered by what's been posted about her on here, not the first time she's mentioned Boards.

I presume not in a positive way? Must've been really bothered by what's been posted about her on here, not the first time she's mentioned Boards.

In fairness if there was a thread on the Internet devoted mostly to slagging you, or worse, inventing all sorts of nonsense, I'm sure you'd find that fairly maddening too. You'd probably be asking who are all these idiots and why are some of them being so nasty?

Just to clarify, I'm saying that's what I'd be asking myself. Hvent been following the thread, so not really calling anyone an idiot; the nasty comments are fairly recurring and excessive, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

In fairness if there was a thread on the Internet devoted mostly to slagging you, or worse, inventing all sorts of nonsense, I'm sure you'd find that fairly maddening too. You'd probably be asking who are all these idiots and why are some of them being so nasty?

Just to clarify, I'm saying that's what I'd be asking myself. Hvent been following the thread, so not really calling anyone an idiot; the nasty comments are fairly recurring and excessive, though.

You, Louise, and your type are the reason that the so called modern left wing in Ireland are dead.

You represent exactly what Joe higgins and the people I started voting for opposed.

Look at yourself in the mirror and come back better.

You, Louise, and your type are the reason that the so called modern left wing in Ireland are dead.

You represent exactly what Joe higgins and the people I started voting for opposed.

Look at yourself in the mirror and come back better.
    Steady on there Norman.

Quick, someone hide the rest of Norman's cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Steady on there Norman.

Quick, someone hide the rest of Norman's cans.

My cans are hidden, even to my self Louise.

Now go and join a different movement son, cos you don’t represent anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

There's a profound insincerity to her.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

For sure some on here go too far... But! Given the absolutely nonsensical, deliberately inflammatory and highly unnecessary stuff she's written in her articles/social media, I find it difficult to have any sympathy for her. You reap what you sow.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember a while ago she said something about having issues with an online message Board and her sister being upset.
    From what I remember it wasn't this one and I found stuff on different sites and it made this look like her appreciation thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I remember a while ago she said something about having issues with an online message Board and her sister being upset.
    From what I remember it wasn't this one and I found stuff on different sites and it made this look like her appreciation thread.

To be fair, this thread is more weird than malicious. For the most part, at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement