Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ahhhh LLMMLL, you may be a fruit and nut merchant but we all love you.

(on pint number 3 after stress of this thread)

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Hmmm I called givyjoe dishonest. Is it a second profile of yours? Starting to make sense now....

Yup. My mistake. Nah.. I've always stuck to one profile.
    I've zero TEFL qualifications. Never claimed to have one.

Ok. Another poster then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Omackeral wrote: »
    I haven't seen any published studies myself but I've been a prison guard for 10 years and have yet to encounter anything over the course of my career. It's certainly not in the vernacular and ,dare I say, culture.

I know I generally say no anecdotal evidence but we only have a few prisons and if you've been in one for 10 years you can definitely speak with authority on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

py2006 wrote: »
    Interesting, fair play. I wanna learn Java just to say I can and did.

Anyway this is off topic. Unless progamming is sexist?

Only if women earn less than men ;)

(On the programming note I found python more useful than java and I'm oracle certified in Java. I'm currently learning Ruby and Go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Grayson wrote: »

(On the programming note I found python more useful than java and I'm oracle certified in Java. I'm currently learning Ruby and Go

I'm what sense? Easier to learn or more lucrative?

......you sexist pig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-LLMMLL, Do not post in this thread again. Reason- Personal abuse and being a bit of a dick.

I apologise for calling troll. I copy pasted without looking.

Grayson wrote: »

nah... programming just isn't attractive to most women as a career. From conversations with female friends who studied programming, they didn't enjoy the deadlines and frenzied demands of meeting deadlines for programming contracts. Instead, most of them moved into FinTech and other business related areas that like people with programming degrees.

Beyond C# and C++ my experience of programming is very limited, and honestly, 6 months trying to get my head around Javascript has taught me that I haven't the "talent" for it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Conspectus wrote: »
    Mod-LLMMLL, Do not post in this thread again. Reason- Personal abuse and being a bit of a dick.

'Against the patriarchy and entrenched sexist attitudes she rebelled, they shot her down...'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

'Against the patriarchy and entrenched sexist attitudes she rebelled, they shot her down...'

'Angry lady lifts skirt at clouds'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 boylecm

Conspectus wrote: »

I guess I'm the only one who sees the irony in a mod banning someone for personal abuse and calling them a dick in the same sentence.

Almost as good as the poster who called O'Neill a bitch and complained about personal abuse.

• Advertisement

boylecm wrote: »
    Almost as good as the poster who called O'Neill a bitch and complained about personal abuse.

I had nothing to do with the mod intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I guess I'm the only one who sees the irony in a mod banning someone for personal abuse and calling them a dick in the same sentence.

Yeah, I gotta admit-that irked me a little too. No offence to the moderators.

I had nothing to do with the mod intervention.

Just seemed to be a similar pattern of someone having a problem with someone doing something very similar to something that they themselves seem fine doing. At least yours wasn't in the same sentence. Wasn't implying that you were behind the mod action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I've always liked Conspectus as a mod. Firm but fair.

I find it more ironic that a feminist got warned for being a dick. :pac:

Just seemed to be a similar pattern of someone having a problem with someone doing something very similar to something that they themselves seem fine doing. At least yours wasn't in the same sentence. Wasn't implying that you were behind the mod action.

The rule is, attack the post not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think the overarching guidance for conducting yourself on boards is "don't be a dick". I'm sure it's in there charter somewhere, I'm guessing that's what the reference was as opposed to calling somebody a dick, which they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I think the overarching guidance for conducting yourself on boards is "don't be a dick". I'm sure it's in there charter somewhere, I'm guessing that's what the reference was as opposed to calling somebody a dick, which they didn't.

Yes.

I can’t believe this thread is still running though. If you want LON to go away ignore her.

You're welcome to browse through my post history, you'll find that I don't have a history of insulting people (LOM) or posters, and there won't be other similar insults towards others. But it's true that I did make the post about LOM, and I regret doing so. As I said in my previous apology. Previously, I've always attacked posters posts, and not the poster themselves.

However, in the case of that LLs attitude towards me, I make no apology since she/he has made personal observations about me on two different threads before I even made any insult towards LOM.

The rule is, attack the post not the poster.

That's a good rule, but calling someone a dick is violating that rule. Just seemed a little ironic to break the rule in the same sentence banning someone for breaking that rule.

You're welcome to browse through my post history, you'll find that I don't have a history of insulting people (LOM) or posters, and there won't be other similar insults towards others. But it's true that I did make the post about LOM, and I regret doing so. As I said in my previous apology. Previously, I've always attacked posters posts, and not the poster themselves.

However, in the case of that LLs attitude towards me, I make no apology since she/he has made personal observations about me on two different threads before I even made any insult towards LOM.

Honestly, I don't have the energy to go back through more than 24 hours and while you seemed regretful yesterday, today you seemed to think you were quite justified in calling her a bitch.

Anyway I didn't mean to drag that up again. Just seemed to be a pattern of people getting worked up about a poster using personal insults when they seem pretty happy to do it themselves.

• Advertisement

That's a good rule, but calling someone a dick is violating that rule. Just seemed a little ironic to break the rule in the same sentence banning someone for breaking that rule.

The mod said being a dick... Not the same as calling someone a dick. Behavior rather than an object/noun.

Honestly, I don't have the energy to go back through more than 24 hours and while you seemed regretful yesterday, today you seemed to think you were quite justified in calling her a bitch.

Justified? Nope. I do think I should have used a better word to describe her, something far less offensive.

And TBH most of that today was tweaking LLs nose rather than any real seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yes.

I can’t believe this thread is still running though. If you want LON to go away ignore her.

I know what you mean - BUT - she has a platform to spread her misinformation and young women are looking up to her, she needs to be called out on it as much as possible, if this means keeping this thread going - keep it going.

And I reckon she uses IE .... IE 6 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Is there a danger of some kind of temporal paradox when a poster gets banned off a thread about themselves?

Gravelly wrote: »
    Is there a danger of some kind of temporal paradox when a poster gets banned off a thread about themselves?

I would give that a 20 to 60% chance of possibility. :eek:

The mod said being a dick... Not the same as calling someone a dick. Behavior rather than an object/noun.

So what did LLML say to you that offended you? I see a mention of a paternal attitude to women which describes an attitude not an object/noun and a reference to a comment about AI that crossed a line. What was the comment? Did she reference a behavior or a noun?

Edit: I see it now quoted in your post yesterday at 18:46. "Its more like debating with a dystopian AI........will lead to next".

Seems like commenting on your posting style/behavior. If she said you were a dystopian AI then maybe your distinction between calling someone a dick and saying they were being a dick would hold up.

Not a particularly nice thing to say but seems similar to me to saying someone is being a dick rather than they are a dick.

Anyway that's the last I'll say on it as I don't want to get into a circular wall of text argument. I just think some people need to look at their own posts before criticizing others.

Peace.

Anyway that's the last I'll say on it as I don't want to get into a circular wall of text argument. I just think some people need to look at their own posts before criticizing others.

Peace.

You seem to want to make your points but not get into a discussion about those very points.

But sure... I'm sick to the hilt about this whole situation, and would happily let it pass.

It's an absolute outrage that Llmmll was banned from this thread..

State of the feminist on rte now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

State of the feminist on rte now..

"When I was born my dad had to go overseas and couldn't sign my birth cert...."

:D:D:D:D:D:D Riiiiiiiiiiight.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement