Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louise O'Neill on manned mission to Mars: "Why not go to Venus?" (MOD Warning post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Strange... you insulted a rather large percentage of men in Ireland by claiming they harassed women (without any proof).... They don't seem to be in here to defend themselves from your statements.

I insulted one woman by calling her a bitch, which I've since apologised for when put on the spot about it.

Hmm.... You've, on multiple posts insulted posters in this thread, me personally on two threads, and made insulting remarks about men within a large but variable percentage. Any apologies for any of that? Yes, you said you might have crossed the line a little on one observation about me.

Seems I have some catching up to do if I want to be like you. And, definitely :rolleyes:

I didn't mention any particular men. Who exactly are not here to defend themselves? :rolleyes:

You have called a particular woman a bitch. You say you've been raised to respect women. I don't see it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Actually I didn't say either of those things about klaz. Is that you givyjoe?

You didn't clarify, you referred to us all.

I didn't mention any particular men. Who exactly are not here to defend themselves? :rolleyes:

You have called a particular woman a bitch. You say you've been raised to respect women. I don't see it myself.

So, I insult one woman who insults men in general, and thus I don't respect women at all? Wow.

But then, to be fair, I did just now ask my mother how she considered LON, didn't know who she was, showed a variety of the tweets listed here, and my mother called her an ignorant cow.

Yup. I love my mother. Want me to check with my sister too? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Grayson wrote: »
    I replied in another post since you posted this to say that it's about the attitudes that surround rape not just the prevalence of rape itself.

If it was just about saying that rape is widespread and acceptable, I'd be agreeing with you 100%. This isn't like, for example, India at the moment where rape is far, far more common than it is here.

If it comes to that I think we can agree completely.

I do find myself agreeing with some of your posts and vice versa. I think it's the term rape culture that I have a problem with more than anything else. I resent that culture tag. I'm an ardent League of Ireland fan, I'd say I belong to a culture or maybe a sub culture that involves different things such as taking buses all over the country, organising pyro displays, chanting in unison, flying and making flags and banners, even things like fashion and attitudes come into it. That to me is a culture; like-minded people engaging in like-minded behaviours and attitudes under a social umbrella of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You're right that there is a prison connection but it wasn't created then. It was created in the 70's to describe the attitude of some men towards women. It's confusing because it describes the negative environment and/or the attitudes that exist.

part of rape culture is the fact that a man is less likely to report a rape than a woman. That's because men have these ideas of masculinity that involve not showing weakness.
    That attitude means the man is less likely to seek help and therefore makes the effects of the assault worse. So it's a societal attitude that contributes to making rapes worse and is part of the culture surrounding rape.

Edit to add: I had in my mind the whole time to say that the prison connection is that rape culture is used to describe certain facets of prison culture in the US.

I hate being the guy quoting his own post but to add as a side note.

Some studies have shown that as many as 1/3 men in the US prison system have been sexuallya ssaulted or raped. Which may man that in the US more men than women have been raped. If that's the case it's fcuking horiffic and makes the "dropping the soap" jokes really inappropriate.

However it's specific to prison in the US and does not affect the rest of the world. having said that there's over a million in prison in the US and so although it's closed set of people affected, that set is quite large.

• Advertisement

So, I insult one woman who insults men in general, and thus I don't respect women at all? Wow.

But then, to be fair, I did just now ask my mother how she considered LON, didn't know who she was, showed a variety of the tweets listed here, and my mother called her an ignorant cow.

Yup. I love my mother. Want me to check with my sister too? :D

I think if you respected women you wouldn't be so quick to call one a bitch.

If that's the case it's fcuking horiffic and makes the "dropping the soap" jokes really inappropriate.

People on here are forever saying things like ''ah can't wait til Bubba gets his hands on him in prison'' or ''his arsehole will be the size of a tennis ball coming out''. Seems to be ok to laugh and joke about it where incarcerated men are concerned. That is in fact an example of rape being normalised or trivialised I have to admit. Thankfully, it's not actually part of prison life in this country. Rape in general is abhorred in our jails. All sex offenders are housed separately, not just on different wings but in their own prison.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I do find myself agreeing with some of your posts and vice versa. I think it's the term rape culture that I have a problem with more than anything else. I resent that culture tag. I'm an ardent League of Ireland fan, I'd say I belong to a culture or maybe a sub culture that involves different things such as taking buses all over the country, organising pyro displays, chanting in unison, flying and making flags and banners, even things like fashion and attitudes come into it. That to me is a culture; like-minded people engaging in like-minded behaviours and attitudes under a social umbrella of sorts.

I get what you mean. For example I hate the word trigger but it's a valid word when used correctly. And I agree that it's a good thing to have warnings ahead of some programs.

I hate the way it's fallen into popular culture though. And it's probably used far more between left and right wingers to taunt each other so much it's no longer used to refer to events which may affect someone who has a psychological disorder like PTSD because of a traumatic event.

I hate the phrase safe spaces. Although I docondone it's occasional usage. For example where you work should be a "safe space" where you don't face any kind of harassment. However the phrase has been overused. Although, being honest I hated the phrase even before it was over used.

As a side note, I'd love to see an Ireland specific study that was well thought out and examined experiences and attitudes to sexual harassment. It could define certain aspects of rape culture beforehand and actually work out how widespread/minor they are. It could define types of verbal and physical harassment and see how prevalent they are.

No that's bollox. There are plenty of bitches around. Someone using her kids as a weapon against their father, bitch. Someone hitting a bloke because she knows he won't hit back, bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Some studies have shown that as many as 1/3 men in the US prison system have been sexuallya ssaulted or raped. Which may man that in the US more men than women have been raped. If that's the case it's fcuking horiffic and makes the "dropping the soap" jokes really inappropriate.

However it's specific to prison in the US and does not affect the rest of the world. having said that there's over a million in prison in the US and so although it's closed set of people affected, that set is quite large.

There's an interesting dissection of this by TRT, using a Michael Jackson song to analyse it.
    Notably the disparity between black populations in America, and black populations in Jail. It's 13 % US population, 40 % US jail population. The system is broken.

• Advertisement

People on here are forever saying things like ''ah can't wait til Bubba gets his hands on him in prison'' or ''his arsehole will be the size of a tennis ball coming out''. Seems to be ok to laugh and joke about it where incarcerated men are concerned. That is in fact an example of rape being normalised or trivialised I have to admit. Thankfully, it's not actually part of prison life in this country. Rape in general is abhorred in our jails. All sex offenders are housed separately, not just on different wings but in their own prison.

Hopefully you're right. I don't think it is prevalent here but I have never heard of any studies for prison populations outside of the US.

Respect where it is deserved.

When someone behaves in a manner I find offensive, I withdraw the respect I have initially given.

When we started debating on the various threads, I automatically respected you as a poster on boards, generally accepting your claims and resisting the desire to take offense. When you started making personal observations about me, you lost that respect. Simple.

Respect for a gender does not mean I must automatically respect every member of that gender. While I respect most men, there's quite a few I have zero time/respect for too. That's life.

LON lost that automatic respect when she consistently came out with statements/remarks about men which I found unwarranted and offensive. My lack of respect for her, doesn't impact on my respect for women in general.

If she is, why not?

Plenty of women have called Trump plenty of names. Doesn't mean they disrespect men.

I think once you factor in female on female rape in prisons, the numbers will still show women being victims of rape more. In female prisons, research has found that female prisoners are more at risk with rape from other female prisoners, and female prison staff, than from the male staff. Also the rates of rape occurring in female prisons is supposedly to be higher than rape in male only prisons. (I'll try find the article, but this is going back a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

No that's bollox. There are plenty of bitches around. Someone using her kids as a weapon against their father, bitch. Someone hitting a bloke because she knows he won't hit back, bitch.

Or someone who ignores the suicide of a 17 year old boy over the sharing of his nude photos online and then claims that it's not a big deal if men have their nude photos shared online.

Respect where it is deserved.

When someone behaves in a manner I find offensive, I withdraw the respect I have initially given.

When we started debating on the various threads, I automatically respected you as a poster on boards, generally accepting your claims and resisting the desire to take offense. When you started making personal observations about me, you lost that respect. Simple.

Respect for a gender does not mean I must automatically respect every member of that gender. While I respect most men, there's quite a few I have zero time/respect for too. That's life.

LON lost that automatic respect when she consistently came out with statements/remarks about men which I found unwarranted and offensive. My lack of respect for her, doesn't impact on my respect for women in general.

So when you lose respect for a woman she becomes a bitch? I'm sure your mother would be proud.

So when you lose respect for a woman she becomes a bitch? I'm sure your mother would be proud.

Nope. I guess LON is special, after all.

Nope. I guess LON is special, after all.

Yup, she's special because she's not here. You feel more comfortable insulting someone who can't respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Actually I didn't say either of those things about klaz. Is that you givyjoe?

No Louise, I'm not here pretending to be someone else!

Nice to know you're still thinking of me though, I must have made a lasting impression :)

Hopefully you're right. I don't think it is prevalent here but I have never heard of any studies for prison populations outside of the US.

I haven't seen any published studies myself but I've been a prison guard for 10 years and have yet to encounter anything over the course of my career. It's certainly not in the vernacular and ,dare I say, culture.

• Advertisement

Yup, she's special because she's not here. You feel more comfortable insulting someone who can't respond.

Hilarious. Although you're repeating yourself now... already addressed.

I'm at 67% with my compiler. Any new objections to occupy myself with?

givyjoe wrote: »
    No Louise, I'm not here pretending to be someone else!

Nice to know you're still thinking of me though, I must have made a lasting impression :)

You really did as the most dishonest poster I've ever encountered.

Hilarious. Although you're repeating yourself now... already addressed.

No still the same old objection. The hypocrisy and cowardliness of taking offense at perceived insults while happy to call LON a bitch.

You into programming? Threatening to teach myself that for years

Nah. You've looked in the mirror.

As for dishonest, you haven't proven anything I've stated as fact to be untrue. For someone with TEFL certification (didn't you say you had two TEFL qualifications in another thread>?), you're rather imprecise with your vocabulary. Now, annoying... I can accept being the most annoying poster you've ever encountered. :D

py2006 wrote: »
    You into programming? Threatening to teach myself that for years

I've been teaching myself C# for the last few months, and doing freelance game design jobs with Unity3D.

Hard to get comfortable with, but it's very interesting once you start getting your basic successes. I don't think I have the mindset to do it long-term though.

Nah. You've looked in the mirror.

As for dishonest, you haven't proven anything I've stated as fact to be untrue. For someone with TEFL certification (didn't you say you had two TEFL qualifications in another thread>?), you're rather imprecise with your vocabulary. Now, annoying... I can accept being the most annoying poster you've ever encountered. :D

Hmmm I called givyjoe dishonest. Is it a second profile of yours? Starting to make sense now.....

I've zero TEFL qualifications. Never claimed to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Thanks, but I'd say anywhere between 20 and 60% of the other posters here would disagree with that!

I've been teaching myself C# for the last few months, and doing freelance game design jobs with Unity3D.

Hard to get comfortable with, but it's very interesting once you start getting your basic successes. I don't think I have the mindset to do it long-term though.

Interesting, fair play. I wanna learn Java just to say I can and did.

Anyway this is off topic. Unless progamming is sexist?

• Advertisement

givyjoe wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'd say anywhere between 20 and 60% of the other posters here would disagree with that!

By your logic that means that 60% of the posters here think you sexually assaulted someone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement