Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite quote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

would you suck a fishermans friend

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

There are no men like me only me. Kingslayer

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

I don't really have a favorite quote.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.

Often attributed to Aristotle but a bit of a Google suggests that's not true. Decent quote all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Vivian Stanshall of the Bonzo Dog Band and the character here, Sir Henry of Rawlinson's End.

" If I had all the money to spend on drink. I'd spend it on drink. " :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world."

Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Oh the humanity!

Hindenburg Zepplin crash in Lakehurst, New Jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

That's the finest for the troops-

Head chef in irish army kitchen stirring the cabbage with a shiťty welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AIRMiNet

We are all alone, born alone, die alone, and we shall all someday look back on our lives and see that, in spite of our company, we were alone the whole way. Not lonely—at least, not all the time—but essentially, and finally, alone. This is what makes self-respect so important, and I don't see how you can respect yourself if you must look in the hearts and minds of others for your happiness.

Hunter S. Thompson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Ever dance with the devil at a pale moon light ?

• Advertisement

I sympathise with everybody, damn it, and see why they are the way they are.

Kurt Vonnegut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

“I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . .”

Dylan Thomas

“Inter faeces et urinam nascimur. (We are born between **** and piss.)”

St. Augustine of Hippo

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

When you p*ss your pants, you only stay warm for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Noveight wrote: »
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.

Often attributed to Aristotle but a bit of a Google suggests that's not true. Decent quote all the same.

Joe Schmidt, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

If my uncle had 3 balls, he'd be a pinball machine.

Rino Gattuso

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

" Yonda lies the Castle of my fadda "

Tony Curtis in.................................

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cato the Elder

You had an arse full of farts that night, darling, and I fúcked them out of you, big fat fellows, long windy ones, quick little merry cracks and a lot of tiny little naughty farties ending in a long gush from your hole. It is wonderful to fúck a farting woman when every fúck drives one out of her.

- James Joyce, to his wife Nora

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

' Unable are the loved to die for love is immortality '

Emily Dickinson

Actually have it tattooed across my collar bone as gaeilge, everywhere I go I get asked what it means :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe stodge View Post
    "I SHALL RETURN".

terminator 2

"I'll be back."

- Douglas McArthur

I'm just popping out, be back in a sec,

Captain Oates.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

And did you get what
    you wanted from this life, even so?
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    To call myself beloved, to feel myself
    beloved on the earth.”

Raymond Carver

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
    -Marcus Aurelius

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Light a candle; dont curse the darkness.

(O Casey)

Where would we be without the kindness of strangers.

&

Try. Fail.Try again. Fail better. (Beckett)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Ipso wrote: »
    Carl Sagan on The Pale Blue Dot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

We succeeded in taking that picture, and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there – on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.
    [...] To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known

Still not 100% accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Christopher Hitchens after the death of Jerry Falwell "If they gave him an enema before he died they could have buried him in a matchbox"
    [font=arial, sans-serif] a cynic was 'a man who [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]knows the price of everything and the value of nothing Oscar Wilde[/font]
    Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I pity your wife, if you think six minutes is forever.

From the film Bohemian Rhapsody

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is it lonely up there on your pedestal

Chris Griffin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Your health is your wealth.

&

The people that matter don't mind & the people that mind don't matter!

' If you want to get into it you've got to get out of it.' Hawkwind - Choose Your Masques 1982 it is either the end of side 1 or side 2 where this is repeated in the outro groove. :)

Another quote that stood out for me when I was a young fellah, I had this hair brain idea of documenting and photographing all the megalithic tombs dotted around North West Ireland. I had my mother driving me about looking for these structures, we were in Tullaghan in Leitrim looking for dolmens around the Leitrim coast and I remember walking up to this wiry old fellah and asking about the Dolmens, I said they were apparently dated from 3,000 BC to which he replied ' Aaah but does paper refuse ink?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one" - Brian Clough

Edit: I See I was beaten too it.

Advertisement